• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT2| Fractured but Ox

Disappointed with the pool result overall. Just similar issues in almost every match, can't see a game out at all. Just 20 mins of chaos at the end. Karius did play well though I'll give him that. And Moreno is fantastic flying up the wing.

moojito

That glimpse into the different managing styles is interesting. Do any of you know of books, documentaries etc that go into what top level managers actually do?

Jack cw

things are looking rough for carlo

jdvaSvH.jpg

confirmed by robben

as I said. nearly everyone regressed since he took over. that guy must get eliminated this summer and it will probably take 2-3 years to undone his damage

best manager my ass

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05fwc6r
Honigstein's really harsh, but some true points.

That glimpse into the different managing styles is interesting. Do any of you know of books, documentaries etc that go into what top level managers actually do?

Check out 'Inverting the Pyramid'.

If you are specifically interested in a certain manager or club there are usually numerous detailing what they do. If thats Pep at Bayern there is 'Pep Confidential' and 'Pep Guardiola: The Evolution' which covers what he did in Bayern including detailing training drills and tactics used throughout the seasons.

things are looking rough for carlo

jdvaSvH.jpg
Honigstein is the type of guy that gets a source correct 1/15 times and then guesses his way pseudo-intellectual style 14/15 times to make it seem like he knows more than he really does. That kind of attitude has always peeved me about him. How players feel is just a guess on his part, though he could be right. It's basically a gaf post with a guy that has the medium for lots of people to hear.
confirmed by robben

as I said. nearly everyone regressed since he took over. that guy must get eliminated this summer and it will probably take 2-3 years to undone his damage

best manager my ass
To play devil's advocate, his teams tend to play a lot better in the second half of the season. Right now it's obviously looking very rough. Primary concern is giving a leash to Ribery since the guy thinks he's the best player in the world. I wish Carlo would just bench him for a bit, but I know that's not happening with the already mounting pressure he currently has.

I'm not as freaked out as I was before. I think the James signing is still dumb af from a management pov, but other than that the midfield and Sule signings overall were really great. Don't know if Telisso will end up being great, but it was a solid gamble nonetheless.

Is Carlo Ancelotti really a good manager?
I mean what kind of shitty click-baity title is this? Is the guy that has 3 Champions League titles with 3 separate teams a good manager? Ugh..

spidye

our players clearly have a problem with him.
they are leaking so much inside info to the press. it's getting really emberassing for everyone involved.

and what's with Ribery's statement about his substitution? he's not saying sorry for behaving like a child, he just said he's a loyal player.

Jerry

I was at Wembley last night, what a fantastic game and a result to match.

The atmosphere was great, Wembley really felt like home for once.

Stand out for me was Aurier, he looked so comfortable out there, I think he could really turn into something special. Eriksen is continuing his amazing form and Kane is just unstoppable at the minute. Sanchez keeping Auba in his back pocket all night was also great.

For the first time in a long time (in europe) we actually adapted our style to the opposition. We learned from the spanking they gave us a couple seasons ago and sat back, absorbed pressure and countered fast, perfect from Poch.

Excited to see how we try and handle Madrid now.

https://twitter.com/AaronGillard_17/status/908068575637884928

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Are Bayern fans ever happy with their managers?

You couldn't wait for Pep to leave when he was there too

I think the question is whether he is *still* a great manager and more importantly whether he is the right fit for Bayern.
Literally won the Champions League two seasons ago. Whether he is the correct fit is a good question, the first one is garbage type of analytics (and this is coming from someone that's not a fan of several moves Carlo's made). I wonder if the refs weren't a bunch of jobbers last season vs Madrid, if this would be a conversation right now.
they are leaking so much inside info to the press. it's getting really emberassing for everyone involved.

and what's with Ribery's statement about his substitution? he's not saying sorry for behaving like a child, he just said he's a loyal player.
Ribery is being a cunt. It's been apparent since Pep's last year and it's just boiling into what we see now. He's been one of my favorite players the last decade and I have his jers, he's just being an asshole. The difference is unlike his career in Munich, his skills no longer make it so Bayern has to put up with it.

His talk about loyalty is also comical. He wanted to leave to Madrid as a free agent after his contract until the sex scandal came up. Bayern covered big time for him, and he found the admiration to finally stay with us. I don't think this can be fixed because his ego is out of control. He can't understand that his current quality, his best role is the super sub. That's it. Unfortunately, we can't all expect Bayern 7s to have the character of someone like Scholl.
Are Bayern fans ever happy with their managers?

You couldn't wait for Pep to leave when he was there too
Pep took the most dominant 1 season team of all time and didn't manage to make the finals a single time in 3 years, while the previous manager did for both of his seasons. On top of that, Pep is a petulant child. He was like a kid vs management who bent over for him more than any manager in the history of the club.. I forget once when he went to Kalle's office like a child in his 3rd year making demands. On top of that, he has a history of clashing with players in every single club he goes to unless you're part of his favorites.
heynckes and hitzfeld in the last 10 years
Heynckess was hit or miss, and by hit it was basically the last 1/3rd of his second year lol.. There was plenty of talk for Jupp not being the right guy in both years as well :p Hitzfeld was a legend from his previous stint, so he was obviously loved by everyone during his last.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Your players that are leaking also getting older and slowly but surely becoming shadows of the former selves. No coach will make them young again. The club should have actually replaced them as well.

Remember when Liverpool was good?

Hellz yeah, yesterday. For 10 minutes. Then we fuck it.

I wonder if Klopp acts reassuring to Lovren after a night like that or if he properly rips him. You've gotta wonder what his actual thoughts on our defensive woes are, as opposed to the front he puts on in quotes.

Blablurn

Manuel Neuer gathered all the players before training today and asked them to avoid unnecessary talk & actions and focus on football [bild]

Remember when Guardiola was a fraud?

Carlo has done the business everywhere he has been to my knowledge, Italy, England, France, Spain, if the bloke wants an easy pay packet for a while at Bayern he's entitled to it.

Not like they have any domestic competition anyway

And for all that "improvement" under Pep they never matched the last season under the previous manager.

#carlofanboy

Also pep is still a fraud

Projected pots for the World Cup:

DJslondXgAAwg4S

The pots are based on October's fifa rankings this time rather than region. There could be some pretty tough groups based on this.

Atlanta should easily get a few in this game. Looks like a game where it just needs one defender to slip up and Atlanta will score.

What a goal!

T-Rex.

Banned
lol saw a stat that Everton have had more yellow cards this season (in the league) than they have shots on target.

it's almost as if selling your best striker/ best player and building the world's slowest team wasn't a good idea

Top Bottom