• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Cerium

Repost for new page:

HGAU2pF.png

The ๖ۜBronx;250171073 said:
Just to confirm, if you get #1 do you get the umbrella thereafter or just for the following round. Think it's the former but not 100% sure.

You will keep the umbrella for all rounds.

Blam

Wow ok I was not expecting this little level of polish on Fortnite's BR mode.

My first gripe is gonna have to be that the sound you have when dropping doesn't even match your audio settings so it's consistently blowing my ears up. As much as I don't wanna make this comparison. It's seriously on the same level as the Roblox PUBG clone at this point.

Sure they'll improve it without a doubt. But it's pretty damn barebones for me at least.

You will keep the umbrella for all rounds.

Thanks!

I genuinely can't wait to get home and try again. I know there's a lot to improve but I'm impressed with what's there and appreciate all that they've said they're focusing on for the immediate future. It's going to be great to see the evolution of the game.

As an aside, do you get anything for BR from purchasing the game via one of the founder packs? I assume not but worth asking as if it continues to be as fun as it has initially then I wouldn't mind supporting the dev but have no interest in the PvE mode.

Sure they'll improve it without a doubt. But it's pretty damn barebones for me at least.

I know you acknowledge it but worth mentioning that this is, what, a week old now? I would have the same concerns as you but just wanted to link you to the recent dev blog (here) that go over some of the planned updates. Sounds really good and if they keep up the pace and quality I'm sure it will be fleshed out soon.

Also nice to see the patch notes when it went global, gives me additional hope for the future of it.

Maximus P

The ๖ۜBronx;250172102 said:
👍 Thanks!

As an aside, do you get anything for BR from purchasing the game via one of the founder packs? I assume not but worth asking as if it continues to be as fun as it has initially then I wouldn't mind supporting the dev but have no interest in the PvE mode.

I think I read that founders who purchased the game before the 21st get free camouflage skins for their umbrella or glider.

Maximus P

So looking at the planned updates and state of development blog, supply drops aren't in the game yet, as they have them in their 'soon after the 26th' section, which would make perfect sense why I haven't seen one or come across anyone using a zapper which will only be in the drops.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The two games will cater to two completely different demographics.

For those that prefer a more gritty realistic experience PUBG exists. For those who want a more laid back, arcadey, casual, pick up and play version of battle royal, this exists.

Just because you prefer the former it doesn't mean the latter doesn't have a place in the market.

Epic appears to disagree with you. If they thought it would cater to a completely different demographic there would be no reason for them to sponsor popular PUBG streamers.

But sure, there is room for it, just as there is room for a battle royale mode in most online shooters.

So looking at the planned updates and state of development blog, supply drops aren't in the game yet, as they have them in their 'soon after the 26th' section, which would make perfect sense why I haven't seen one or come across anyone using a zapper which will only be in the drops.

They are in, look at the patchnotes. They made it in time, but if you look at their Twitter they had to remove them because of some problems but they said after that that this supply drops are back in again, no idea what's the real status is now.

Uhhhhh baby, first time victory with a 4 person squad.

yrgf9ZR.jpg

Blam

The ๖ۜBronx;250172102 said:
I know you acknowledge it but worth mentioning that this is, what, a week old now? I would have the same concerns as you but just wanted to link you to the recent dev blog (here) that go over some of the planned updates. Sounds really good and if they keep up the pace and quality I'm sure it will be fleshed out soon.

I'll have to see more, but I do like them talking about what they want to change and all that. As it stands I'll watch from the sidelines and play it when it gets a bit more in it.

jet1911

Victory with 3 kills! Took me almost 120h to get my first win in PUBG and I got my first win in Fortnite after like 10 games lol

I'll have to see more, but I do like them talking about what they want to change and all that. As it stands I'll watch from the sidelines and play it when it gets a bit more in it.

Fairy snuff, and indeed; I love it when you get an insight into what's coming and what they're thinking about things.

The reason supply drops work in PUBG is because vehicles exist and you have several people driving to them at once to fight for them. In Fortnite, if a supply drop is across the map you have absolutely no way to get to it. So I haven't even really been looking for them.

The reason supply drops work in PUBG is because vehicles exist and you have several people driving to them at once to fight for them. In Fortnite, if a supply drop is across the map you have absolutely no way to get to it. So I haven't even really been looking for them.

I don't believe they're in at the moment but haven't played since last night bar a very short game before work this morning. I don't think supply drops are an issue without vehicles on the size map they currently have. Larger maps and vehicles are coming though, so best of both worlds I guess!

Wrong thread.

Where I am:

Which is great for where they're at. They've definitely taken a chunk out of PUBG and if they develop it as they seem to intend to I can only see that chunk growing. PUBG will always be a behemoth and F:BR seems to offer enough of a difference between the two to be able to back and forth between them if you do enjoy them.

Just don't want to jump the gun too much as I think where they are is impressive and they will carve even more of a name for themselves in time.

edit: By the time I posted seems you'd removed it. Now I'm left here, all alone.

The ๖ۜBronx;250176044 said:
I don't believe they're in at the moment but haven't played since last night bar a very short game before work this morning. I don't think supply drops are an issue without vehicles on the size map they currently have. Larger maps and vehicles are coming though, so best of both worlds I guess!

My point is that if you see a supply drop falling in PUBG across the map, you can probably drive to it before it lands.

In Fortnite, you'd probably be able to run 100 meters before it would lands so it would just be picked up by whoever was closest. There's no way for people far away to get across the map quickly, regardless of map size. Even if it took 2 minutes to drop (which is ridiculous), you can only cover a relatively small distance in 2 minutes.

The ๖ۜBronx;250176044 said:

Do u have a source??
Bigger map and vehicles is a must for me

In Fortnite, you'd probably be able to run 100 meters before it would lands so it would just be picked up by whoever was closest. There's no way for people far away to get across the map quickly,

In Fortnite, you just shoot the balloon and it falls to your feet or whoever it was at that point.

Soi-Fong

PUBG must be regretting the MS deal now. With that in place, they basically gave the battle royale genre to Fortnite then on PS4.

Played a few rounds on PS4. The performance fluctuates so wildly that it put a damper on my experience.
I'll give it another shot on PC when I get the chance.

Did my best with 6 kills

That scoped AR is way too good.

Died by a scoped AR too I think.

My random teammates decide its better to play solo than help me out. Could have easily picked me up or shot the guy who ended up killing him anyway.

Set up a decent fort that ended up failing on us because the circle moved.

Ran out of ammo and desperately needed more. I like the ammo scarcity. I hope they dont spam more like they intend to. Teammates should be dropping ammo for u

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The ๖ۜBronx;250176416 said:
Where I am:

Which is great for where they're at. They've definitely taken a chunk out of PUBG and if they develop it as they seem to intend to I can only see that chunk growing. PUBG will always be a behemoth and F:BR seems to offer enough of a difference between the two to be able to back and forth between them if you do enjoy them.

Just don't want to jump the gun too much as I think where they are is impressive and they will carve even more of a name for themselves in time.

edit: By the time I posted seems you'd removed it. Now I'm left here, all alone.

We will know how this game will fair when they release their blog on the future of combat this week.

1. If they stick with hitscan for most guns this game will never contend with PUBG. They won't fail, or anything though; It will still have its niche, but the competitive types that have pushed PUBG to the top will avoid FNBR like the plague. Hitscan will never feel good since you have to have the RNG bloom to balance it at the long engagement distances (which is most peoples #1 complaint right now).

2. If they instead adopt a more H1Z1 like combat model by using a projectile system with bullet travel time and drop they will be able to get rid of the first shot RNG bloom that makes the gunplay feel bad right now. That, combined with the stuff that makes this game cool and different, could allow FNBR to actually take a chunk off PUBG. If they add in vehicles like hover boards and bikes, to speed up traversal, then I think this game could be the #1 BR on consoles for a while.

Basically if they go with #1 and not #2 the game will still have an audience but FNBR will get passed up on console by the next BR with proper combat mechanics for the game mode. Whether that is a Sony game, DICE, Ubisoft, or PUBG depends on how fast this stuff gets to xbox and ps4.

A note about hitscan: There is nothing wrong with using hitscan for an arena shooter (overwatch is hitscan) or game where most engagements are within 100 meters. The problems with hitscan arise when engagements get 100 meter plus due to the instant nature of the shot and damage. This isn't a huge deal in Halo because if you got sniped you would respawn, but in a game like FNBR and PUBG hitscan can be infuriating because it is too easy to use. Epic knows this and added in the first shot bloom, that everyone hates, to make sure not everyone was 2 tapping people running full speed at 300 meters. By adding bullet drop and travel time (leading) you can have accurate weapons and don't need first shot bloom because the shooter has to take more into account at range than just aiming at the head.

Andodalf

Banned
got #3! had full HP, Shield, bonus shield potion, purple scoped AR (OP AF). got ganked from behind when the circle was super small. fun! wana get #1

Maximus P

I don't understand why people seem to assume that PUBG and Fortnite can't co-exist.

Both games are totally different and both offer very different experiences.

PUBG will still sell very well when it eventually comes to Xbox one and later the ps4.

Dubz

I wish there was an ADS toggle, but other than that in really digging this. Not sure how they're going to make money since I've never once been introduced to the F2P currency mechanics.

Basically if they go with #1 and not #2 the game will still have an audience but FNBR will get passed up on console by the next BR with proper combat mechanics for the game mode. Whether that is a Sony game, DICE, Ubisoft, or PUBG depends on how fast this stuff gets to xbox and ps4.

Great post, really informative and I agree. I definitely still think F:BR has the potential to take a chunk depending on when that next BR rolls around, the longer that is I feel the more chance there is that of people embedding into it. That said if it's, say, RDR:2 that brings a huge map with a BR mode as part of it I think it will have a much larger affect than a new IP by Ubi or DICE.

It's hard to predict who will move where across the landscape, but I'm really happy that it's gained traction and we're (hopefully) looking at a future with BR modes. The concept applies to well to games, and I'm keen to see where people take it. I think the building/destructible nature of F:BR works well and provides enough difference to PUBG for coexistence, especially with one being free to play.

But yeh, I'm heavily awaiting that combat post, and agree with you on what the best direction would be in that sense.

MUnited83

For you.
Posted in the other thread:
Not sure why you think a bunch of streams on the days following the release, mostly sponsored, actually mean anything. If it keeps that for months and months, sure. Right now they are not indicative of anything.
It will have the same effect of Ark on consoles... huge.
And yet it will barely affect actual PUBG sales on PS4, so it doesn't seem like they did a bad deal at all.

Top Bottom