• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

According to their twitter, they're saying over 1 million people played BR on day 1.

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/913072399893061632

DKviJ8bWAAAJRl8.jpg

Got #1 with a squad

Circle got really cramped but the gameplay got vertical. Built a stairway around a house while the other team didnt seem to prepare for such craftsmanship

We were a perfect team. Got 4 kills, all of us survived.

We would constantly take turns foraging and then set up shop and move forward

We’d also drop items for each other.

Kalentan

Won my first match (4th or 5th overall matches played) last night.

Got into a 3 person scuffle but managed to win! Barely too! If I hadn't gotten a critical(headshot?) on the guy that dropped him low than he would have easily killed me since he dropped me down to 10 health.

In the final fight had he got one shot on me I would have died.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

WOW, congrats Epic! Dat F2P power.

Impressive.

They have to seriously kick things into gear to keep people around

Customization, lots of personality, gunplay tweaks, vehicles....

Really cant believe other publishers havent gotten on this already.

PSX and probably e3 for the studios that are bandwagoning from scratch. I expect there to be announcements by teams that will add the mode to their games over the next 3 months as well.

The tide is coming, which is awesome for us because competition will lead to some a good choice in BR games of lots of styles.

Too bad its likely too late for a God of War BR :p. If Last of Us 2 doesn't have a BR mode then something is wrong at Sony...

Just got my first kill! I was in a house and I saw him coming. When he opened the door I was ready but still almost lost from shock but I got him with a shotgun.

PSX and probably e3 for the studios that are bandwagoning from scratch. I expect there to be announcements by teams that will add the mode to their games over the next 3 months as well.

The tide is coming, which is awesome for us because competition will lead to some a good choice in BR games of lots of styles.

Too bad its likely too late for a God of War BR :p. If Last of Us 2 doesn't have a BR mode then something is wrong at Sony...

If Insomniac wasn't working on Spider-Man right now I'd love to see a Battle Royale game in the Ratchet & Clank or Resistance universe with those awesome weapons.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If Insomniac wasn't working on Spider-Man right now I'd love to see a Battle Royale game in the Ratchet & Clank or Resistance universe with those awesome weapons.

Suckerpunch has been free for a while (though they are likely deep into a single player project).

Wonder what Guerrilla is up to?

On the Microsoft side. Gears of War could work as a BR. So could halo, or sunset overdrive (does Insomniac own that IP?) .

BRs are small scale ;). They are 2 studios now right?

Guerilla Cambridge closed down earlier this year :(

I'm sure they've got multiple projects planned currently but the majority of them are probably working on Horizon content with a secondary team in pre-production on something else I would imagine.

WaterAstro

Played one game last night.

Certainly missing armor loot compared to PUBG, and inventory controls doesn't feel perfect. Weapons feel more streamlined "World of Warcraft" like rather than relying on the person's familiarity with real life guns or the meta.

I also didn't know how to open the map.

YourMaster

I played it a few times, this is the first shooter I played online since Unreal Tournament almost 20 years ago. Two things bother me though, that you can't practice a bit on bots getting used to the mechanics and the long wait between games.

First game I played I was one of the first to die by trying my pick-axe on a wall and it immediately collapsing on me. This sent me back to the airport from the 'langoliers', just horrible. You've got to wait for over a minute there for no apparent reason and if you find a weapon it doesn't even work on the other players. This would already be much better if you could indefinitely axe-murder everybody and it kept score. Better yet, allow me to watch the previous game while I wait for the next one and go straight to the bus. (there's already enough downtime between games because of the skydiving.)

This causes me to be afraid to actually try out my weapons on other players, when the punishment of death is 3 minutes down-time. It then becomes a kinda-boring game. I'm really successful though, except for the first game and one other where I landed right next to another player who got the shotgun first I mostly end up in the top 20, often top 10. Never gotten more than 2 kills though, as a prime strategy seems to be to avoid conflict and shoot the people who wander into your hiding spot. I would love to try out my weapons a bit.

Also, I once noticed I could build traps, then could never do it again. Why?

Certainly missing armor loot compared to PUBG, and inventory controls doesn't feel perfect. Weapons feel more streamlined "World of Warcraft" like rather than relying on the person's familiarity with real life guns or the meta.

I also didn't know how to open the map.

It has shield potions instead of armor. Though I would prefer an armor system, I'm fine with them switching up the formula.

Not sure if you're playing on PC or not, but opening the map is M on PC.

Redshirt

Banned
Also, I once noticed I could build traps, then could never do it again. Why?

In BR, traps are discovered items you either find in containers or loot from people. You can use what you find.

In PvE, you can create whatever traps you have the schematics and materials for.

WaterAstro

It has shield potions instead of armor. Though I would prefer an armor system, I'm fine with them switching up the formula.

Not sure if you're playing on PC or not, but opening the map is M on PC.

Yeah, I was on console. Uh... maybe I should play it on PC.

Shield potions? I had a blue potion. I guess it's like a permanent health extension or something. Not as complex as head armor and body armor, but it's something, I guess.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Playing with friends now - much more fun. Some really intense moments.

Much like PUBG, this game shines with duos and squads. I have gotten to the point in PUBG where I would rather play with randoms than play solo.

Shield potions? I had a blue potion. I guess it's like a permanent health extension or something. Not as complex as head armor and body armor, but it's something, I guess.

I wouldn't expect this game to ever be as complex as PUBG. That can be a positive or negative depending on your preference.

arimanius

The blue potion is the shield potion.

Whoa thatd be overkil lol

The market seems like it will saturate fast.

I want a FPS military BR for sure. Id like Last of Us or Battlefield as they are sound games

Im thinking some wont jump in assuming it will saturate fast

There are a lot of directions they can with the mode from here. We know they're doing the airdrops which willhave powerful weapons, and at least 1 weapon that doesn't spawn anywhere else (charge laser rifle).

I am very excited to see new maps with entirely different environments. I wanna see an island with active volcanos that spew rivers of lava you have to build over to get past or fight over existing bridges.

I think the game can be more complex in ways that differ greatly from PUBG.

ok

this is fun

Still not sure how building really works tho. I only seem to have wood but in my last game I just got top three again and this guy had a sturdy looking house?

arimanius

ok

this is fun

Still not sure how building really works tho. I only seem to have wood but in my last game I just got top three again and this guy had a sturdy looking house?

There's wood, brick, and steel. You can get brick and steel from chests or just breaking down brick walls, rocks, or steel structures like cars.

Darg

Neo Member
There are a lot of directions they can with the mode from here. We know they're doing the airdrops which willhave powerful weapons, and at least 1 weapon that doesn't spawn anywhere else (charge laser rifle).

I am very excited to see new maps with entirely different environments. I wanna see an island with active volcanos that spew rivers of lava you have to build over to get past or fight over existing bridges.

I think the game can be more complex in ways that differ greatly from PUBG.
'

The large piece of land behind the island in the background that has a ton of cliffs would be perfect for something different. It's huge, has a small island that connects to the cliff like land nearby. Would be great for vehicles and some sort of climbing/building.

majik13

D-pad left/right should switch between the inventory slots.

This, like wtf! Unless they are being reserved for something else in the "final" build. Otherwise its a no braining. Hitting triangle to scroll through menus is far from ideal, and the unused left and right dpad are the obvious choice for this.

paulogy

So Epic has established that they can make a Battle Royale game within Fortnite that's fun and has real potential, and people are eager to play it.

The question now is can they make it even better? And will they?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So Epic has established that they can make a Battle Royale game within Fortnite that's fun and has real potential, and people are eager to play it.

The question now is can they make it even better? And will they?

They have 12 million reasons too. Cosmetics will be great for FNBR since there is no armor.

Have they said if they are adding vehicles? This game needs vehicles.

They are thinking about it. If they do they need to keep the vehicles very "Fortnite" in style. Like thrown together Jet boards (like a 2 person long board with jets attached) and maybe a 4 seater rocket bike.

This, like wtf! Unless they are being reserved for something else in the "final" build. Otherwise its a no braining. Hitting triangle to scroll through menus is far from ideal, and the unused left and right dpad are the obvious choice for this.
Console controls are behind PC right now that is for sure. I have a feeling they will get this sorted by the next patch.

Top Bottom