• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

jet1911

I don't understand why people seem to assume that PUBG and Fortnite can't co-exist.

Both games are totally different and both offer very different experiences.

PUBG will still sell very well when it eventually comes to Xbox one and later the ps4.

It's also funny that for some people it seems that a game need to be on console to have it's success validated. I mean PUBG already sold almost 13 million copies just on PC. They could keep it PC only and it still would be one of the most succeddful game of this gen.

sp3ctr3

3rd game and 1st win. Final area was so tiny!! Hiding in the Bush with a shotgun was the Way to go. Other dude Walked right up to me and took a blast to the face lol poor guy

I'm shaking so bad right now

It's also funny that for some people it seems that a game need to be on console to have it's success validated. I mean PUBG already sold almost 13 million copies just on PC. They could keep it PC only and it still would be one of the most succeddful game of this gen.

I see this a lot but barely any context for holding that opinion, so it always comes across to me like a persecution complex. Wherever I've seen PUBG mentioned it's with recognition of how large and successful it is, even if the individual doesn't have the ability to play the game or has played it and isn't a fan.

Got any examples because I've seen the sentiment around but never the source for it.

Sjefen

3rd game and 1st win. Final area was so tiny!! Hiding in the Bush with a shotgun was the Way to go. Other dude Walked right up to me and took a blast to the face lol poor guy

I'm shaking so bad right now

Concrats :) The tension is real, I finnally understand why PUBG is so popular on PC.

sp3ctr3

That AK47 looking burst fire riffle seems OP. I killed 3 people with just 1 burst shot from a white version? Maybe they had damage?

We will know how this game will fair when they release their blog on the future of combat this week.

1. If they stick with hitscan for most guns this game will never contend with PUBG. They won't fail, or anything though; It will still have its niche, but the competitive types that have pushed PUBG to the top will avoid FNBR like the plague. Hitscan will never feel good since you have to have the RNG bloom to balance it at the long engagement distances (which is most peoples #1 complaint right now).

2. If they instead adopt a more H1Z1 like combat model by using a projectile system with bullet travel time and drop they will be able to get rid of the first shot RNG bloom that makes the gunplay feel bad right now. That, combined with the stuff that makes this game cool and different, could allow FNBR to actually take a chunk off PUBG. If they add in vehicles like hover boards and bikes, to speed up traversal, then I think this game could be the #1 BR on consoles for a while.

Basically if they go with #1 and not #2 the game will still have an audience but FNBR will get passed up on console by the next BR with proper combat mechanics for the game mode. Whether that is a Sony game, DICE, Ubisoft, or PUBG depends on how fast this stuff gets to xbox and ps4.

A note about hitscan: There is nothing wrong with using hitscan for an arena shooter (overwatch is hitscan) or game where most engagements are within 100 meters. The problems with hitscan arise when engagements get 100 meter plus due to the instant nature of the shot and damage. This isn't a huge deal in Halo because if you got sniped you would respawn, but in a game like FNBR and PUBG hitscan can be infuriating because it is too easy to use. Epic knows this and added in the first shot bloom, that everyone hates, to make sure not everyone was 2 tapping people running full speed at 300 meters. By adding bullet drop and travel time (leading) you can have accurate weapons and don't need first shot bloom because the shooter has to take more into account at range than just aiming at the head.

Yeah the gunplay needs to be deeper, otherwise it just comes off as unrewarding.

More scopes with recoil would be nice

MUnited83

For you.
Why? Pubg wasn't this popular day one.
Geese I wonder why a mode for a game that released some months ago and already had a established userbase, published by a publisher full of money to spend in sponsored promotions, that feeds on the Battle Royale craze literally blown up by PUBG to begin with, that costs 0$ instead of 30$ would have a surge in views superior to the initial release of a game that is literally known for being a suprise hit 🤔

Your analysis of streaming numbers seem to ignore all context.

And yet it will barely affect actual PUBG sales on PS4, so it doesn't seem like they did a bad deal at all.

IF the game launches on PS4 someday... there isn't any official news about that. In fact, in one year or more it would be too late, just like happened with Tomb Raider releasing after U4 on PS4...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The ๖ۜBronx;250181075 said:
Great post, really informative and I agree. I definitely still think F:BR has the potential to take a chunk depending on when that next BR rolls around, the longer that is I feel the more chance there is that of people embedding into it. That said if it's, say, RDR:2 that brings a huge map with a BR mode as part of it I think it will have a much larger affect than a new IP by Ubi or DICE.

It's hard to predict who will move where across the landscape, but I'm really happy that it's gained traction and we're (hopefully) looking at a future with BR modes. The concept applies to well to games, and I'm keen to see where people take it. I think the building/destructible nature of F:BR works well and provides enough difference to PUBG for coexistence, especially with one being free to play.

But yeh, I'm heavily awaiting that combat post, and agree with you on what the best direction would be in that sense.

The thing is, DICE could have a BR up and running in no time. Maybe 3 months but no more than 6 months tops to have a FNBR like product (as in early access with some features missing). They already have:

1. Netcode for a 64 player shooter
2. Tons of 3d models from BF1 and BF4 to reuse
3. Character system that already has Parachuting, weapon pickups, health system, all movement needed
4. Tried and testing shooting mechanics that are perfect for a BR
5. squad system
6. AC130 spawn system from BF4

What they would need

1. BR UI
2. BR inventory
3. A map
4. Tweaked spawning system from BF4
5. Tweak a game mode to match BR
6. Team spectating.

This doesn't mean DICE will do this, in fact they likely wont be making a BR at all since they are stuck on Battlefront for the next few months. Its more to highlight that they could, just like Ubisoft could with wildands.

Yeah, RDR2 BR would be cool but the speed at which a company like dice could get something out could corner the market on console before that game releases. Right now SPEED is the issue. Its going to be a race to see who gets a PUBG on Console first. FNBR could be that if they remove hitscan. If not it will be someone else. Any BR that comes out after next year will likely be DOA just like how late to the game MOBAs didn't fair that well.

so when you revive you get like 1/5th of the health or so back. what's to stop your team from shooting you to revive if they are lower in health than the revived hp?

how many times can you get revived? does the time to revive get longer reach time?

souppboy

Neo Member
HGAU2pF.png

Repost for new page

so when you revive you get like 1/5th of the health or so back. what's to stop your team from shooting you to revive if they are lower in health than the revived hp?

Pretty sure any gun will kill you with that much health regardless. Very few guns do less than 20 damage per shot. So... it's not really something to be concerned about.

Tumle

rofl yeah. I'm not sure why people keep insisting this game needs vehicles except that's what's in PUBG so they think it's needed here.
Lol yea I also love the disjointed effort from PUBG fans Who on one hand is yelling about how much they ripped off PUBG and on the other hand try and tell people how much different it is from PUBG feature vise and style vise.. well I have news for them it’s not PUBG it’s a battle royal game with similar setup, but different mechanics and art style :p

Mossybrew

Got in about five games last night, I'm digging it, I really enjoy the art style, but man do I suck at this gunplay. I was absolutely murdered in every combat encounter.

jet1911

The ๖ۜBronx;250181951 said:
I see this a lot but barely any context for holding that opinion, so it always comes across to me like a persecution complex. Wherever I've seen PUBG mentioned it's with recognition of how large and successful it is, even if the individual doesn't have the ability to play the game or has played it and isn't a fan.

Got any examples because I've seen the sentiment around but never the source for it.

All the "bluehole made a huuuuuuuuge mistake by not realeasing PUBG on PS4" gives off that vibe.

I'm waaaaaay better at playing Fornite than PUBG holy shit lol.

Blam

Not sure why you think a bunch of streams on the days following the release, mostly sponsored, actually mean anything. If it keeps that for months and months, sure. Right now they are not indicative of anything.

And yet it will barely affect actual PUBG sales on PS4, so it doesn't seem like they did a bad deal at all.

I was gonna say this isn't views from a bunch of streamers piled together, shroud was playing it and that was 32K viewers last time I checked it then. And I think so was Summit1G.

So nearly the entire count there was from 2 streamers who switched to PUBG pretty much right after playing Fortnite.

Weston

That AK47 looking burst fire riffle seems OP. I killed 3 people with just 1 burst shot from a white version? Maybe they had damage?

Nah it's really that strong. I think a lot of people overlook it because it's not terribly accurate at range, but if you crouch aim you can delete people from mid range.

Pretty sure any gun will kill you with that much health regardless. Very few guns do less than 20 damage per shot. So... it's not really something to be concerned about.

i mean it's enough if youre at a distance and need to run away if they are spamming (if they don't have a sniper rifle)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
All the "bluehole made a huuuuuuuuge mistake by not realeasing PUBG on PS4" gives off that vibe.

I'm waaaaaay better at playing Fornite than PUBG holy shit lol.

Bluehole is going to lose a ton of money from not releasing on PS4. That doesn't mean that PUBG isn't impressive sales wise, or a bad game, just that they are a dumbass short sighted company that got greedy and made a mistake. The crying they have been doing lately is very transparent as well.

What is going to kill pubg on PS4 isn't FNBR though, unless changes are made. Its whatever BR gets announced at PSX. We are over a year away from a PS4 version of PUBG. It might as well not even come out on PS4 at this point. Shits going to be way too late.

Lol yea I also love the disjointed effort from PUBG fans Who on one hand is yelling about how much they ripped off PUBG and on the other hand try and tell people how much different it is from PUBG feature vise and style vise.. well I have news for them it’s not PUBG it’s a battle royal game with similar setup, but different mechanics and art style :p

I want vehicles because it makes squad mode more fun, and vehicles are fun

Last they updated us vehicles do seem to be coming. I dunno if you take what they said as 100% confirmed.

They also talked about having more maps in the future. So maybe there will be vehicles on bigger maps in the future. Can't say anything definitive at this point, based on their lack of info in what is coming later down the pipe line.

I want to start with squad because I have absolutely no idea what to do so I'll keep dying immediately on solo, but I feel guilty that I'll be no help to my team..

I want to start with squad because I have absolutely no idea what to do so I'll keep dying immediately on solo, but I feel guilty that I'll be no help to my team..

Try landing on a house. Use your pickaxe to break into the roof. There is often a chest in the upper attic of the house. You'll often be able to hear the location of the chest too.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Don't feel guilty, nobody knows what they are doing in squad lol. I pretty much drop and play solo in squads, unless someone follows me and actually moves towards the objective marks I place. :p

Pretty easy to solo squads right now too, lots of new blood.

Alienous

The thing is, DICE could have a BR up and running in no time. Maybe 3 months but no more than 6 months tops to have a FNBR like product (as in early access with some features missing). They already have:

1. Netcode for a 64 player shooter
2. Tons of 3d models from BF1 and BF4 to reuse
3. Character system that already has Parachuting, weapon pickups, health system, all movement needed
4. Tried and testing shooting mechanics that are perfect for a BR
5. squad system
6. AC130 spawn system from BF4

What they would need

1. BR UI
2. BR inventory
3. A map
4. Tweaked spawning system from BF4
5. Tweak a game mode to match BR
6. Team spectating.

This doesn't mean DICE will do this, in fact they likely wont be making a BR at all since they are stuck on Battlefront for the next few months. Its more to highlight that they could, just like Ubisoft could with wildands.

Yeah, RDR2 BR would be cool but the speed at which a company like dice could get something out could corner the market on console before that game releases. Right now SPEED is the issue. Its going to be a race to see who gets a PUBG on Console first. FNBR could be that if they remove hitscan. If not it will be someone else. Any BR that comes out after next year will likely be DOA just like how late to the game MOBAs didn't fair that well.

Didn't Battlefield 3 have a weapon scavenging mode? It wasn't gun-game either - the narrative framing was an earthquake, or something like that. So yeah, DICE could do it in no time at all.

I expect that Ubisoft are the ones to watch though. Between The Division and Ghost Recon: Wildlands they aren't far off.

Edit: Didn't realize I was in the Fortnite thread. Sorry for the off-topic.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Didn't Battlefield 3 have a weapon scavenging mode? It wasn't gun-game either - the narrative framing was an earthquake, or something like that. So yeah, DICE could do it in no time at all.

I expect that Ubisoft are the ones to watch though. Between The Division and Ghost Recon: Wildlands they aren't far off.

Yeah but BF3 was frostbite 2 right? Doubt they have that old code laying around. Not that creating spawning systems is difficult for professional programmers though :p.

Honestly, the programming side of a BR is not that intensive if you already have the shooting system and netcode figured. Its a very simple game mode. The time would need to be put into art, animation, large map design and ui. Reusing that stuff from another game would speed up dev time.

Any company that makes shooters could crap out a BR in 6 months. Any shooter already made could add a BR mode in less (providing they have appropriate netcode in place already).

What will piss me off is a company charging 60 bucks for a BR game. BR is a game mode like team DM, not a full game. TBF PUBGs price is already pushing it.

edit: I think I read somewhere FNBR took epic 2 months to prototype and 1 more to get the first beta out. Can't find a link though.

Played one game. It went Okay?

Died in a storm. I kept running toward the center but never made it back in time. Never saw another player. Got 33rd.

I haven't played it yet but have watched a handful of streams, and the storm does seem to move very fast, so vehicles would be good to use to get to the centre. I realise it's supposed to keep players on their toes and induce a sense of panic, but having to run a couple of minutes to catch up with the storm doesn't seem very fun.

djnewwest

Banned
Bluehole is going to lose a ton of money from not releasing on PS4. That doesn't mean that PUBG isn't impressive sales wise, or a bad game, just that they are a dumbass short sighted company that got greedy and made a mistake. The crying they have been doing lately is very transparent as well.

What is going to kill pubg on PS4 isn't FNBR though, unless changes are made. Its whatever BR gets announced at PSX. We are over a year away from a PS4 version of PUBG. It might as well not even come out on PS4 at this point. Shits going to be way too late.

Wow this comes off salty AF. Nothing stopping you from buying a Xbox S for cheap and playing it

GodofWine

Jump and glide as far from the bus route as possible, perpendicular to it. You'll find some peace and quiet and can mess with the controls, and building stuff.

Alienous

I haven't played it yet but have watched a handful of streams, and the storm does seem to move very fast, so vehicles would be good to use to get to the centre. I realise it's supposed to keep players on their toes and induce a sense of panic, but having to run a couple of minutes to catch up with the storm doesn't seem very fun.

You're given plenty of opportunities to easily stay ahead of the storm if you're paying attention.

When you get to the point where you're actually trying to outrun the barrier you've already made a series of errors.

arimanius

You just have to keep an eye on the time and start moving before the time ends. The map really isn't big enough to need vehicles at this time. Once you realize how long it takes to transverse the map the circle doesn't become an issue until later in the round when it's tiny.

Darg

Neo Member
We will know how this game will fair when they release their blog on the future of combat this week.

1. If they stick with hitscan for most guns this game will never contend with PUBG. They won't fail, or anything though; It will still have its niche, but the competitive types that have pushed PUBG to the top will avoid FNBR like the plague. Hitscan will never feel good since you have to have the RNG bloom to balance it at the long engagement distances (which is most peoples #1 complaint right now).

2. If they instead adopt a more H1Z1 like combat model by using a projectile system with bullet travel time and drop they will be able to get rid of the first shot RNG bloom that makes the gunplay feel bad right now. That, combined with the stuff that makes this game cool and different, could allow FNBR to actually take a chunk off PUBG. If they add in vehicles like hover boards and bikes, to speed up traversal, then I think this game could be the #1 BR on consoles for a while.

Basically if they go with #1 and not #2 the game will still have an audience but FNBR will get passed up on console by the next BR with proper combat mechanics for the game mode. Whether that is a Sony game, DICE, Ubisoft, or PUBG depends on how fast this stuff gets to xbox and ps4.

A note about hitscan: There is nothing wrong with using hitscan for an arena shooter (overwatch is hitscan) or game where most engagements are within 100 meters. The problems with hitscan arise when engagements get 100 meter plus due to the instant nature of the shot and damage. This isn't a huge deal in Halo because if you got sniped you would respawn, but in a game like FNBR and PUBG hitscan can be infuriating because it is too easy to use. Epic knows this and added in the first shot bloom, that everyone hates, to make sure not everyone was 2 tapping people running full speed at 300 meters. By adding bullet drop and travel time (leading) you can have accurate weapons and don't need first shot bloom because the shooter has to take more into account at range than just aiming at the head.

I duno i've been watching the streamers who have been playing since the br mode came out and there is skill (pretty high) even with the hitscan, especially at long range, it doesn't seem easy at all. They consistently get wins even against other skilled players (what little there are at the moment due to the newness of the mode).

The long range rng is there for the hitscans depending on the weapon and it's color rarity which does seem to matter somewhat (which people hate for the most part), the new scoped weapon is projectile (which is very accurate and pretty fast), and of coarse the rockets/grenades so is the sniper with it's bullet drop. They seem to want different guns to be situational. Which is why some of them are hitscan and some are projectile. The question will be just how high the skill can get with the games mix of projectiles and hitscan

I would like to see atleast a few more weapons to be Projectile based though (new ones) or 1-2 of the existing guns to switch to projectile based.

Jump and glide as far from the bus route as possible, perpendicular to it. You'll find some peace and quiet and can mess with the controls, and building stuff.
Yup. Move and glide out as far as possible. That way you have a chance to collect stuff in places noone is around at. Also collect resources cuz you might need to get to certain high up areas.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Wow this comes off salty AF. Nothing stopping you from buying a Xbox S for cheap and playing it

LOL, I play it on PC. Have put over 300 hours into PUBG and I really like the game. But, sorry, I can be critical of a company that sells out and then cries when their plans fall apart.

Bluehole wanted that microsoft money and thought that nobody would have a game out before they would be able to get sales on PS4. Enter Epic, an actual talented developer, and the Bluehole salt pours forth.

What is hilarious is that FNBR runs better than PUBG, has full building destruction, and was made in 3 or 4 months. Bluehole can't even get vaulting in and needed epic's help to fix their shit netcode.

The only thing PUBG does better right now is combat and that could change quick. If DICE wanted to they could eat Bluehole's lunch. Hell, if Daybreak was smart they could hit back and release on PS4 before PUBG. H1Z1 KOTK is a good BR and would do well on console if the port was competant.

I'd say don't be afraid to go ahead and play squads with randoms. You won't be the only one who is unsure what to do, and you'll get the hang of it eventually. Anyone who's taking squads really seriously should be playing with friends and in a party chat.

Probably the number one mistake I saw in random squads last night was people not understanding the storm mechanic. Squads thought they should just start building a big fort to defend, but the storm would soon come and wipe them out.

LMAO

I just got 3rd in solo by doing nothing. At the very beginning me and one other guy went to the same house but I got a gun first. I'm ass at aiming so I went through all my ammo trying to get him. He just ran away. Then the rest of the game I was alone without ammo in my gun and that's how I died at the end, he just shot me a few times.

Top Bottom