• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Cat Party

Does anyone else get frustrated by the input lag or am I just imagining it? I'll have to hit square like 5 times before the gun appears in my inventory. I mash L1 and just stay crouched. It's infuriating.
Yeah this is a constant problem. I expect it will be resolved over time.

Gator86

Yeah this is a constant problem. I expect it will be resolved over time.

Okay, I'm happy enough just to get confirmation I'm not imagining it. It's the fucking worst to get shot while crouching and then be completely unable to run away because you can't break crouch.

Tawpgun

I don't know if popular streamers or youtubers gave away their pro strats or something

But my favorite spot on the map for initial drop is now infested with people when it used to be empty. Northwest corner above wailing woods.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't know if popular streamers or youtubers gave away their pro strats or something

But my favorite spot on the map for initial drop is now infested with people when it used to be empty. Northwest corner above wailing woods.

Or players actually get better over the time.

I think it's just people learning the map over time. Luckily my favorite loot path is mostly devoid of people and consists of at least 1 guaranteed chest =)

Fancolors

I remember the first day it went F2P people usually died in droves, one minute in and there would be 40-50 deaths. Now the number seems to have dropped to 20.

Hoodbury

I remember the first day it went F2P people usually died in droves, one minute in and there would be 40-50 deaths. Now the number seems to have dropped to 20.

Hmmm, ya we started noticing that too last night. By the second circle there were still around 40-50 people left and we were like, "before there'd be 20-30 left it felt like at this point".

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Until the day I quit playing this game, I will not understand (i) why so many jump out immediately and (ii) how so many die so fast.

The ONLY time I die before the top 50 is if I am not paying attention when I drop and drop near someone else, and they get the first gun before me. But it's so easy to avoid that initial confrontation.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wonder what the win loss ratio is for this.

Feel like the mass would be mostly losses.

I would imagine most people have a win loss ratio that is heavily skewed toward loss. After all, only 1% can win per match.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I'm getting really sick of the garbage gun play in this game.

Why even release an early access PvP game with hit scan?

And that fucking ridiculous amount of input lag while picking up a gun or switching. Fucking ridiculous.

HiiiLife

I'm getting really sick of the garbage gun play in this game.

Why even release an early access PvP game with hit scan?

I doubt they even had PvP in mind when they launched Fortnite. And they have said they’re planning on updating the bullets to be projectiles.

Cmerrill

I doubt they even had PvP in mind when they launched Fortnite. And they have said they’re planning on updating the bullets to be projectiles.

But they had it in mind when releasing the mode.

So wait and release it when you can offer proper gun play mechanic's.

Cmerrill

Yup you tell Epic how to develop their game! Get em Cmerrill! Nothing pisses me off more than free, early access games balance too!

Defend a billion dollar company a little more, sheeple.

If I can't offer criticism, then why even release a fucking early access game?

So wait and release it when you can offer proper gun play mechanic's.
Yeh, they really should have opened it up as early access first, so that the people that were enthusiastic to play but didn't mind the odd bit of jank could at least have fun with it.

giphy.gif

Really curious how they will go about monetizing the battle royale part of the game, now that it's clearly shown itself to be more popular than the originally designed game.

Maybe let you choose player models you've got unlocked in the single player? New br specific cosmetic loot llamas?

I can't see them going on forever with the battle royale bit being 100% free to play without optional microtransactions. Just hoping the battle royale popularity gets people to spend money pve side doesn't seem like a sound business strategy.

Defend a billion dollar company a little more, sheeple.

If I can't offer criticism, then why even release a fucking early access game?
Your original criticism was "Don't release the game in early access until you've perfected the gunplay". So your criticism of an unfinished early access game is that it's unfinished? Not exactly the most useful and constructive feedback.

Really curious how they will go about monetizing the battle royale part of the game, now that it's clearly shown itself to be more popular than the originally designed game.

Maybe let you choose player models you've got unlocked in the single player? New br specific cosmetic loot llamas?

I can't see them going on forever with the battle royale bit being 100% free to play without optional microtransactions. Just hoping the battle royale popularity gets people to spend money pve side doesn't seem like a sound business strategy.

They've already said; they're going to be putting in cosmetics that can be purchased (how this manifests is unknown beyond them not affecting gameplay). If I had to guess I'd say loot crates and/or currency seems like the obvious choice.

I'm imagining it'll be something like this with cosmetic items. Hopefully they go all out with player customization and weapon skins and stuff like that. Honestly with the game being free, I'm good with them monetizing anything they can that doesn't impact the game's balance.

HiiiLife

The shooting is wonky, and more times than I count bullets don’t register when they should. This is true. It’s annoying.

But I didn’t waste money on this so it’s no skin off my back. And it’s fun, regardless.

HiiiLife

All you'd have to do is destroy the 4 walls connecting it to the ground and the entire thing falls. Once people realize this, stuff like that won't be possible.

Doesn’t that only work when the piece is in animation of being built (that translucent blue)?

Could’ve swore I’ve seen floating bridges lol.

Doesn’t that only work when the piece is in animation of being built (that translucent blue)?

No. Anything constructed has to have a connection to the ground. If you sever that connection, the entire thing gets destroyed.

No. Anything constructed has to have a connection to the ground. If you sever that connection, the entire thing gets destroyed.

There can be what appears to be floating bridges, but they're not actually floating. They have to be anchored to the ground but they can have more than one anchor.

Stairs to the sky and skybridge to a plateau means if someone takes out the stairs, the rest stays up tanks to being connected to the plateau.

Ploid 3.0

All you'd have to do is destroy the 4 walls connecting it to the ground and the entire thing falls. Once people realize this, stuff like that won't be possible.

He got lucky with people hiding around and in the buildings in the distance. They probably only noticed the sky floor when it was too late. Shooting at the far away base, or using a few rockets would have them surrounded by the other grounded players. If it was 1v1 this move would have been even more of a risk. Lucky, but calculated risk, especially not just making a wooden bridge or pure wooden floor.

How does he have so many bullets and resources?!

He take all of the resources from the bones of his enemies.

I'd like to see an umbrella/parachute as a pick up that you can use to mitigate falling damage. So you can build high but survive the fall, balance is that your vulnerable in the float and it uses a inv slot.

Made me think of other possible weapons:

Some stealth weapons: crossbow/boomerang
Melee weapons: e.g baseball bat, sword, that are throwable to a shotgun range which causes a stun on hit/or forces player to drop current weapon.
Zombie grenades: a zombie appears on impact and moves to nearest person. Handy to sniff out campers but could backfire if your alone.

Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?

Game definitely needs some melee weapons. Sword, a machete and (throwing) axe. Some suppressive fire machine guns, like the M240 and something ridiculous like a minigun. Mortars.

For item pickups, boots that give you the double-jump ability the Ninja class from PvE has and deployable decoys.

Memnoch

Its for people with no skill to reach the end game.

Someone a few pages pack posted a victory screen with 1 kill! Lol.

Also hiding behind trees and anything else is different because you are not clipping into it, that's my issue... You can't walk into the tree trunk and have a 360 degree view of your surroundings. That's what bush wookies do, takes to skill at all
Ridiculous nonsense.

I'd like to see an umbrella/parachute as a pick up that you can use to mitigate falling damage. So you can build high but survive the fall, balance is that your vulnerable in the float and it uses a inv slot.

Made me think of other possible weapons:

Some stealth weapons: crossbow/boomerang
Melee weapons: e.g baseball bat, sword, that are throwable to a shotgun range which causes a stun on hit/or forces player to drop current weapon.
Zombie grenades: a zombie appears on impact and moves to nearest person. Handy to sniff out campers but could backfire if your alone.

Any other ideas?

Id like a crossbow. A suppressed weapon would be nice.

Id like a few melee presets. One that does more damage but less resource mining, but thats really it. Everything else should be cosmetic skins

Dont want any kind of zombie or npc though.

I think the game would benefit from more equipment. Wouldnt mind a limited flamethrower or mortar (encourages using the roof construction), but Id like

-binoculars

-smaller, more common shield potions that give +20

-windows that can take damage (so a way to look out of a fort without it being open)

-fort blueprints that allow you to instantly put down a prebuilt fort

-speed potions

-regenerative health potions like energy drinks in pubg

-non lethal traps that slow down enemies, or destroy one of their items

Then they can do stuff like flesh out swimming and make loot lake swimmable and add things like breathing potions and swimming mechanics

Whew. So much potential

Ted

I'm not sure where the camping/bush camping complaints really come from. I think a good multiplayer allows people play a whole range of styles of play yet balances them so none are ultimately OP.

I think Fortnite it doing a pretty good job of it, bush camping has it's place but comes with limitations, just like all the other developing techniques.

I like that as a player I have options, it's not quite as open and sandbox-like as my favourite MP game (PS2) but so far it's pretty good at balancing the core game in terms of variety of play.

Equally, whilst a focus on competitive play is one thing, I feel an F2P title has to appeal to the masses as much as the hardcore and that means catering to those of us who don't have insane abilities and hand eye co-ordination! I mean, I'm a pretty bloody bad shot but even I get enjoyment out of a good run, even when I don't win.

For example, this was a fun game tonight. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't but it's all fun and games.

https://youtu.be/zTiW74u4b8M

GodofWine

I now have 9 second place finishes and no wins. Youd think at some point the other guy would wonder in front of me or be the one whos got 20 health left...onward...

PepperedHam

I raised my flame shield pages back, I knew the bush hoppers union wouldn't like being called pussies.

Shrubs for scrubs :p

Just my view, don't expect anyone to agree with me.
Might not have to raise a "flame shield" if you didn't call people who use a fair tactic names.

Yup. When I get 750 steel and try to build a flying fortress with a 4 wall tower as the base, people are smart enough to shoot it out with rockets. I even started to build the "roof" once the circle started closing in.

Why do I get the smart people?

selo

After playing for about a week, I feel like I know the map pretty well, that hasn't happened in pubg yet. Although I do enjoy the faster matches, I think the game would benefit from a slightly larger map, maybe 30-40% bigger, because it kinda does feel a bit repetitve very fast.

Gorillaz

After playing for about a week, I feel like I know the map pretty well, that hasn't happened in pubg yet. Although I do enjoy the faster matches, I think the game would benefit from a slightly larger map, maybe 30-40% bigger, because it kinda does feel a bit repetitve very fast.
yea I'm getting to that point soon too. Map is a decent size but hopefully whenever they add a new one
which would probably come out in like a year
is bigger

Top Bottom