• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They had an update on pricing:

UPDATE: We talked about the pricing of the higher tier Halloween skins and we didn't feel good about the price. So we're lowering them.

We were originally going to price both Skull Trooper and Ghoul Trooper at 2000 coins. The Ghoul Trooper will be lowered to 1500 Coins, while the Skull Trooper will be lowered to 1200 coins. We'll be updating this image in the Release Notes. Happy Halloween!

I know people are going to be curious about the store pricing and I'm starting to see a few questions trickle in so here's the breakdown:

GLIDERS
500 Coins
800 Coins
1500 Coins

PICKAXES
500 Coins
800 Coins
1500 Coins

SKINS
800 Coins
1200 Coins (Skull Trooper Skin)
1500 Coins (Ghoul Trooper Skin)
2000 Coins (Future cool-looking Skins)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Image of a couple of the skins.

Fortnite%2Fblog%2Ffortnitemares-update-1-8-patch-notes%2FStoreSales-1920x1080-50e5b6f0d6d7bb2418fcb6516bb3dc0ff226b8c5.png

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/923340616184016901

Hey Everyone,

We just wanted to give a bit more context about the decision to cap frame rate on PS4 and PS4 Pro. We should have gotten this out sooner, and we'll try improve on that in the future.

TLDR: We're really, really sorry to players who appreciated the higher frame rates under certain conditions. Unlocking frame rate was an accidental change with some unusual benefits and drawbacks. We feel that capping consoles to 30 fps will provide the best experience based on our internal metrics and blind play testing. We’ll be looking forward to your feedback and continually working to make the experience awesome!

In addition, we are also working on improvements over the next couple of weeks, including locking the “front end” UI and lobby screens at 60fps, and investigating adding a “display options” menu on consoles.

More Background/Technical Info:

At launch we had significant problems with frame syncing which was due to the way we were synchronizing the game and render threads with the GPU at 30fps. Digital Foundry made an excellent video that highlights the problem (which was awesome!) and we began work on fixing that.

While fixing the frame syncing problem our engineers also identified that in addition to frame syncing, we also had significant input latency because of how we are handling parallel rendering on consoles. This introduced latency as high as 120ms and made the experience on both consoles poor.

While working on a fix for this, we inadvertently released a build that uncapped framerate on PS4 and PS4 Pro with our 1.5 release. This was actually a happy mistake, as it hid a lot of the issues with frame syncing and input latency compared to what we launched with and did mean that we hit 60fps in some scenes. However, that also introduced significant variations in frame rate, and we never really reached or could maintain a 60fps lock for longer than a few frames. In general, our data says that average fps on PS4 Pro for Save the World, for example, was around 45fps with a range between 20fps and 55fps. Those dips under 30fps would often get compounded over multiple subsequent frames causing an even worse experience. In addition, it could cause "stuttering" of frames. Your TV can display a new frame 60 times every second, but often would be forced to display the same image twice in a row because the game was rendering at a lower rate. This made smooth camera movements appear "jumpy" as the time between frames oscillated back and forth.

Since then, we’ve been working on the real fix to both frame pacing and input latency and doing significant testing on what would provide the best user experience. One of the many measures we use to track performance is what we call “MVP30” or Missed VSync Percentage at 30fps. In simplified terms, how many frames did we miss rendering compared to perfectly rendering every frame at 30fps. At launch we hovered around 5% missed frames. Our last internal performance test had that number at 1% or less.
We have also reduced overall input latency from 120ms to around 76ms in typical gameplay, which was achieved by limiting the time between the simulation thread kicking off and the frame being presented to the display.

Our hope was that fixing the frame syncing and input latency bugs would introduce a much better player experience at a consistent frame rate for all players. We have run multiple blind playtests with all of the variations, unlocked framerate on PS4 Pro and PS4, locked framerate on Xbox One, along with the correct fix for both, and players were pretty universal in their preference for what we’re about to ship with 1.8.
We do intend to cap framerate up to 60fps in our “front end” UI and lobby screens in the short term, and we are constantly striving for optimizing the engine and game code to provide the best experience.

We’re also investigating adding a menu for capping and uncapping fps and other types of display options, but want to make sure we think through that sufficiently. There’s always a balance between optimizing and striving for the best, most consistent, user experience while allowing players the ability to play the way they want. We also have to consider the competitive balance implications.

As always, we welcome and value your feedback so please let us know your thoughts!

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I'm soooooo fucking sick of having 200 points of health and losing it in two shots from a rifle.

Think about it, if a PS4 player play on 30 fps against a Pro player at 60 fps, that's unfair.

That's nonsense. Pc has any framerate people choose. So 144 vs 60 is ok? And if that's the case it shouldn't affect pve.

There's a great difference between a stable 60fps on PC to an unstable 60fps on console. And thanks to Walt above :)D) we know both are unstable anyway, so you have to go with the most stable.

DeaDPo0L84

Jumping back in after a few months away and friends interest in the battle royal mode. Did this game a graphics bump? I play on a ps4 pro and it just seems to look better. Also, this game makes my pro get pretty loud, at least in royal mode, anyone else experiencing that?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
downgrade to 30fps on my PS4 Pro??? Are you fucking kidding me.. STOP PATCHING THINGS THAT ARE ABSOLUTELY FINE. Same shit with the recently patched aim speeds, nobody aims that slow wtf were you thinking? My aim was on point and now I can't find the perfect balance again + the stupid aim assist keeps dragging me away from targets while scoping..

sp3ctr3

Do we get V bucks for playing PVP or only PVE? As I read it it's only in PVE but you can buy skins for PVP?

I'm confused

AllGamer

Åesop;252866755 said:
downgrade to 30fps on my PS4 Pro??? Are you fucking kidding me.. STOP PATCHING THINGS THAT ARE ABSOLUTELY FINE.

But it wasn't fine. Thats for Save the World, but I don't think it was stable 60fps for Battle Royale either, or was it?

In general, our data says that average fps on PS4 Pro for Save the World, for example, was around 45fps with a range between 20fps and 55fps. Those dips under 30fps would often get compounded over multiple subsequent frames causing an even worse experience.

I thought most people preferred locked 30fps to an unstable frame rate. Damned if you do damned if you don't, I guess.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind an average of 45fps when unlocked. It just feels so much better in competitive multiplayer games. At least give us the option and don't force everyone into a more cinematic experience

These download speeds on PSN are getting ridiculous, they dont mind jacking up the price but can't even get descent server infrastructure for there own downloads.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
These download speeds on PSN are getting ridiculous, they dont mind jacking up the price but can't even get descent server infrastructure for there own downloads.

It depends on what server you get on. Close all apps, stop the download and restart so you get a different server. Also going into standby usually helps with the speed

Meccs

Game is laggy like crazy after the update. Also has reset some settings and keybindings.... Also you can no longer close the inventory with the same button. You have to press ESC. What the hell... Also looting seems to be broken. I have had multiple houses with 3 or 4 shield potions but no weapons.

GodofWine

Is the discord unjoinable? is there a trick? do I just not know how discord works?

I used the link and it said it was invalid / expired?

Im also looking for how to join ResetERA, I saw GAF discords got some sort of invite???

Meccs

Does anyone here play duos of squads with randoms? If so how was your experience? I am usually quite socially inept but this could be a fun way to get over that if you don't play with a-holes all the time. But it's probably something like this I bet:

c5ihAxe.jpg

Miggytronz

Is the discord unjoinable? is there a trick? do I just not know how discord works?

I used the link and it said it was invalid / expired?

Im also looking for how to join ResetERA, I saw GAF discords got some sort of invite???

I’m on another Discord a reddit user started if you want to join.

Åesop;252867769 said:
It depends on what server you get on. Close all apps, stop the download and restart so you get a different server. Also going into standby usually helps with the speed

yeah, i know all the tricks, didn't work. Just horrible all around. Lately friendlists disappearing and getting thrown out of party's also a regular thing.

I'm a network engineer so i'm confident it's not on my end.

Meccs

The loot distribution is absolute sh*t since the update. I once again landed and there were no f*cking guns in two houses. Instead there were 3 shield potions in each.This never happened before!

Edit: happened again. They seem to have removed quite a lot of loot locations from the game...

Karppuuna

I try the game after patch and yes, i feels horrible now with 30fps lock. I just wonder that how was those "blind playertest players", how said that it feels better now.

Woetyler

Any idea whats the max Vbucks u can earn in the PVE? Tempted to get it over buying just straight Vbucks

It would take a pretty long time to be honest. I believe you get like maybe 500 max from the first main area questline. That alone takes a very long time unless you play nonstop.

It would take a pretty long time to be honest. I believe you get like maybe 500 max from the first main area questline. That alone takes a very long time unless you play nonstop.

so just enough to get a pick axe...wow..I was hoping you'd get atleast a few thousand from the PvE

jsnepo

Why are Fortnite updates slow on PS4? The downloads are excruciatingly slow. Downloads for other games are good. Monitoring my download rate on my router shows that downloads will run then after a few seconds, it will stop. Not sure if this is a Sony server problem because as I said, other games download fine. This same problem happened with 1.22 as well.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why are Fortnite updates slow on PS4? The downloads are excruciatingly slow. Downloads for other games are good. Monitoring my download rate on my router shows that downloads will run then after a few seconds, it will stop. Not sure if this is a Sony server problem because as I said, other games download fine. This same problem happened with 1.22 as well.

I have the same problem on 1 gig fiber.

Downloads for only that game take forever for just my PS4 Pro but fly on the PC and Xbox.

sp3ctr3

Reading the patch notes when start Battle Royale mode they made it sound like you could earn v-bucks in PVP? Nope. I won and got nothing...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Reading the patch notes when start Battle Royale mode they made it sound like you could earn v-bucks in PVP? Nope. I won and got nothing...

Nope only way to earn them is through the PVE side and personally I think their initial store offerings are kind of weak.

I know I know its a free game and this was their first shot at getting some type of store up and running, still love the game.

15aud for 1000 V-things... 1200 v-things for the skeleton costume.

Waaaaaay to expensive, I'd be interested if the price was reasonable (at the end of the day its a digital costume). I am happy to stick with the default gear.

majik13

I think you do get the Season Exp from winning, and can unlock stuff with that, I think that just may be banners and glider skins though?

Sucks about not getting v bucks though...

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Wtf at the controls in this game now. It's a fucking mess and chore to shoot and aim.

They were perfect before the last 2 updates and now it's impossible to get the settings to feel even okay to aim with.

Does anyone have control fixes for ps4? At this point it's unplayable for me.

Also WTF at the prices for outfits,etc?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I try the game after patch and yes, i feels horrible now with 30fps lock. I just wonder that how was those "blind playertest players", how said that it feels better now.

As the name blind test suggests, those people were blind

sKiTz

OK anyone got a configuration for Xbox controls that were similar prior to the latest update?

Really struggling to get them back to how I had them which were perfect

I had X/Y at 0.50 and everything else at 1.00

Now it’s fucken a nightmare with those.

sp3ctr3

Prior I had 0.35 and zoom at 1.00

Now I have 0.30 and zoom at 0.90 and it kind of feels the same to me? My aim is atleast better than than with the new stock settings.

This is on Xbox One

Top Bottom