• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 Showroom | New cars and details for Forza 5, ongoing reveals

eso76

That track shot looks pretty bland.

oh, will you shut up, mr cerny ?

track shot looks beautiful.
Grass, lighting, accuracy.
Certainly the best looking Bathurst we've ever seen, just beautiful.

Cars
Really liking the Audi shot (i can't believe we don't have a comparison with a similar car in similar paint in the same environment yet)
Not sold on the RS200 pic; was expecting a bit more from Silverstone lighting. Maybe it's just the pic, though.

saladine1

is9jZIJbDnPMu.jpg

Yeah baby!
That looks fantastic!

I'm dying to see some action on the track..

shandy706

Crappy Facebook quality of another new shot.

Can someone supply an HD (or at least better quality) one??

1375154_634285199927724_282246748_n.jpg

Edit**

Thanks Xanadu. Can't wait to tear around this track.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It looks so flat. The trees should be shadowed at the top but instead they're completely flatly lit.

cbox

I know this damn track is going to make me buy an xbox one, I just know it. I've been hesitating since this is the only game I'd buy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Also could they not take a high quality photo to use for the background? It sticks out like a sore thumb that also takes up half the damn screen.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jaggy shadows! preorder canceled!

in all seriousness, new shots look sexcellent. love the draw distance. cant wait to see it in motion. cant wait to race on it.

eso76

lol, i was wondering why thread died all of a sudden.

Yeah, T10...
THAT is how you reveal Bathurst.

in all seriousness, new shots look ssexcellent. cant wait to race on it.

yeah, i noticed. Considering they are prebaked those jaggy shadows are quite strange...
Maybe they are baked by the xbone before the race, so they can match sun position for alternate times of the day ? Shadows staying the same between midday and dusk in FM4 kinda ruined the effect.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm beginning to wonder whether F5 was started as a 360 game and was switched to Xbone relatively late in the day.

Majanew

Banned
Wow. Embarrassing. Someone should point T10 to that other Bathurst thread so they can learn how to fucking reveal their stuff. You are terrible at this, T10. Terrible.

I'm beginning to wonder whether F5 was started as a 360 game and was switched to Xbone relatively late in the day.
One can hope.

Wow. Embarrassing. Someone should point T10 to that other Bathurst thread so they can learn how to fucking reveal their stuff. You are terrible at this, T10. Terrible.

At least Forza 5 will have Mt. Panorama AND Australian cars, that's something Forza fans can be happy about. Putting the course in your game is fine and dandy but you need the cars too. :(

Looks great. OK, they didn't go all out and do the modeling/art for every last nook and cranny, but the radii and cambers all look spot on as you'd expect from a laser scan.

Great job, T10. I think it adds a lot to the game.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That Audi S4 shot looks absolutely fantastic. Gotta say. If it weren't for a few little rendering issues like the aliasing around the daytime running light and the odd shadow artifacts near the rear of the car I would hardly be able to distinguish between it and real life.

The RS200 shot on the other hand is pretty shoddy chiefly because they way the lighting is applied to the car. The environment is in a nice solid overcast while the car looks like it's lit by a bright cloudless sky. The shadow being cast by it is the worst offender. Stencil shadow on an overcast day? No, just no.

Is the aspect ratio a bit off on the Forza screenshot? The car looks taller and the wheel doesn't look as round. Like it was slightly stretched vertically.

Different angle, distance and zooms.

Loving the new Bathurst screens too. A bit odd that there is no sponsoring on the run down skyline and through the dipper. Might have been getting changed when they scanned it. Will see a little later in October if it's a mistake or that section no longer has XXXX Gold sponsorship (terrible beer BTW).

Maybe T10 recently decided to scrap that pittiful baked lighting system they used to use and have started using a real time lighting engine. I really cannot see why pre baked shadows would have such obvious jaggies in them as there is no reason for it due to them being essentially free to render.

I don't know, we will have to wait and see with the final game.

Mascot

Please, need some Monaro/Torana/XY GT/Brock Commodore action on the track...NOW!

Yeah, I was wondering why they chose to release three nice (but bland - add some clouds, FFS!) images of the course with no cars on it. I'm getting a real Far Cry 2 vibe from those shots. Needs race cars!

Mascot

Holy shit at BOTH Bathurst reveals happening within hours of each other. One of them looks a lot more impressive than the other, but it would be madness to even consider elaborating on that outside of the official comparison thread, so I won't.

Move along please.

eso76

I was thinking the same thing..

+1, my thought exactly.
looks like a car ad.

Why is noone taking a similar pic in fm4 ?

Was expecting more from overcast lighting in silverstone, but like i said maybe just a bad picture (GTAV really spoiled me in terms of realistic lighting).
I can't wait to see more.

p3tran

Banned
No I won't? It's my opinion, feel free to disagree.
Of course, but you could as well just post a message saying

*random negative comment* every few hours :p

this trend is not new, and it doesnt really matter. let people speak their minds.
speaking or bashing or even trolling wont deter the quality of the game for me to the slightest. I guess the same holds for you too, and some more :)

anyway,
here is simbin's latest effort for bathurst:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6WInWv50-n0
what I really like (aside for the near identical representation of the track), is that the positions of the key roadside details are kept intact.
we will see to what extend this will hold for forza scanned tracks too.

Mascot

It looks so flat. The trees should be shadowed at the top but instead they're completely flatly lit.

This nails it. I couldn't put my finger on what was 'off' with those images, but the GT6 trailer drives it home - the lighting looks pancake flat in those FM5 images. The simple geometry of the scenes only accentuates this. Some nicely-lit cars on the track would probably help, as would some clouds. The three images just look... bland.

But yay - Bathurst.

p3tran

Banned
This nails it. I couldn't put my finger on what was 'off' with those images, but the GT6 trailer drives it home - the lighting looks pancake flat in those FM5 images. The simple geometry of the scenes only accentuates this. Some nicely-lit cars on the track would probably help, as would some clouds. The three images just look... bland.

But yay - Bathurst.

check the video I posted above. right side window, you can see that the color palette and the skybox are closer in forza pics than in RR ;)

ps
HELIOS, is the track ..bumpy? :)

Mascot

check the video I posted above. right side window, you can see that the color palette and the skybox are closer in forza pics than in RR ;)

I did - it's a great video. The FM5 images still look flat to me though. I guess it's maybe down to pre-baked vs dynamic lighting, who knows.

Lets end this right here. GT5 can look just as good. Not always. The models are better in F5 (less jaggies) :

5268000724_ce9bea08e2_z.jpg

The thing is about both games the majority of photo mode shots don't look anyhwere near realistic or pretty. Its only a select few taken but good photographers.

Love dem 2d trees

eso76

I did - it's a great video. The FM5 images still look flat to me though. I guess it's maybe down to pre-baked vs dynamic lighting, who knows.

it's the trees.
the foliage doesn't match the lighting. Or actually, ignores any lighting.

madmackem

Yeah after first being wowed at the first shots of forza 5 the more that comes out the more i can barely tell the differnece between f4 and f5. This is starting feel very rushed.

p3tran

Banned
it's the trees.
the foliage doesn't match the lighting. Or actually, ignores any lighting.

I cant say I agree with this. in one pic we have a tree where we are between the sun and it, and it has different hue than in another pic where both sun and the tree are on the same side related to us. plus of course the shadows...

TJP

As great as the static shots of Bathurst in Forza 5 look don't get too excited about comparing RR to FM5 as there is a long way to go in the development of RR including changing time of day (currently fixed) and other graphical additions yet to be seen by the public.

It seems there has been quite a rush to get Bathurst into sims recently which is great for the racing community.

Top Bottom