• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 has passed Fortnite on Xbox's most played games

DragonNCM

8mil. gj MS
For me FH5 is not appealing game. Same as all FH games before, I'm more in to the original Forza or GT games.

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs
Oh Stop It Me You GIF by Audible

Fredrik

Lots of people are playing recently launched gamepass games in a time when Microsoft is currently giving away 3 months of the service for $1/1€?

Wow I'm so shocked.
🙄There are new games coming to Gamepass all the time and it’s not like all games on Xbox has 8+ mil players. Really, no matter how you look at it it’s a massive success for Playground, Xbox Game Studios and Microsoft, it was expected to climb the charts but I don’t think anybody expected these numbers this fast.
Next target to smash, 10 mil at year end - Let’s go! 🏎

MrFunSocks

Banned
i do like arcade racers though but thanks for telling me what i like.

my biggest issue with the Horizon games were the car controls which yknow play a huge part of a racing game so i didn't enjoy it for that. Everything else was fine but quite secondary in a car game. I'm just curious what 5 does that's better than 3/4? you're telling me i won't like it if i didn't like the others. so i'm asking if people liked the others then why is 5 so good? what's new/different?

thanks for your answer. the festival setting/dialogue didn't bother me. the maps were impressive too. the one set in the UK did bother me a little but i do live there so i was being a bit nit picky with places that were missing/in the wrong place. so 5's map is just bigger and more detailed?
5 is like 3 and 4 but newer with better graphics and a different setting. People that like 3 and 4 will like 5.

I didn't tell you what you like, you told me that you didn't like 3 and 4 so I said you won't like 5 because it's the sequel and sticks to the same script. Not sure why you're getting defensive.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Serious question, why is this disingenuous $1 bullshit allowed when the equally disingenuous TF stuff isn’t?
Disingenius?
Lol I know why I'm playing Forza Horizon 5 right now, and it's because Microsoft just gave me 3 months of Gamepass for 1€ (like they do every other year) so why not play it if it's a well reviewed game?

FH5 has great graphics and it's a fun game to play, but let's not pretend that Microsoft giving away 3 months of Gamepass virtually for free worldwide isn't part of the reason the game is getting so many people playing it.

🙄There are new games coming to Gamepass all the time and it’s not like all games on Xbox has 8+ mil players. Really, no matter how you look at it it’s a massive success for Playground, Xbox Game Studios and Microsoft, it was expected to climb the charts but I don’t think anybody expected these numbers this fast.
Next target to smash, 10 mil at year end - Let’s go! 🏎
Year end will have Halo Infinite to compete on Gamepass attention. Many of the people playing FH5 now will start playing that instead IMO.

Fredrik

You mean like 15m?
It will hit 10m in 3 days.
So still over 1 1/2 weeks until Black Friday.

15m players in the first month.
20m end of year.
That would be nuts! I don’t see that happening tbh, but I know the life time player count for FH4 was above 25 million many months ago.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The game just launched and millions of people with gamepass will at least try it once. This was obviously going to happen, what matters is how high it is on the list after a couple of months.

Like the whole 5 6 7 8 10 million player thing. Uh, there aren’t that many people actually playing the game, it’s mostly people who try the game.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The game just launched and millions of people with gamepass will at least try it once. This was obviously going to happen, what matters is how high it is on the list after a couple of months.

Like the whole 5 6 7 8 10 million player thing. Uh, there aren’t that many people actually playing the game, it’s mostly people who try the game.

This argument fails at Horizon as you actually have to play it and unlock the first festival to show up on the leaderboard. So saying it's just people who loaded the game once is false.

Lognor

Banned
That's awesome! Glad to see it doing so well. Game is great btw although I've only got an hour into it maybe.

genuine question: what makes it better than previous games? i played Horizon 3 + 4 but didn't enjoy them. what is so good about 5 that everyone is going crazy about?

Well, to start, I left Forza Horizon 4 much sooner and moved on, Forza Horizon 5 approach seems far better executed and is holding my interest more, the story mode seems like a genuine adventure game. Driving the cars feels a lot more addicting than in year's past. This feels more like an actual RPG. Maybe I didn't give Forza Horizon 4 enough of a chance to find out, but I've been impressed. Everything feels more substantial, especially with how things unlock. And Mexico is far more interesting a space to me.

DaGwaphics

Well, to start, I left Forza Horizon 4 much sooner and moved on, Forza Horizon 5 approach seems far better executed and is holding my interest more, the story mode seems like a genuine adventure game. Driving the cars feels a lot more addicting than in year's past. This feels more like an actual RPG. Maybe I didn't give Forza Horizon 4 enough of a chance to find out, but I've been impressed. Everything feels more substantial, especially with how things unlock. And Mexico is far more interesting a space to me.

Agreed. The two things that stand out the most to me is the world size and the fact that they seem to be offering a bit more assist for players that aren't that skilled (me). I still have trouble driving the fastest cars, but I can keep the lower and mid classes on the road easier. I honestly had a hard time keeping the little focus on the street in 4, I kid you not. That and the setting is very vibrant.

Fredrik

All games get a drop in concurrent players months after launch, it’s normal. You think millions are playing Ratchet, The Ascent now? Even my GOTY Metroid Dread is mostly back on the shelf after I did a 100% run. What’s impressive here is that 8+ million gamers has played FH5 after just a week, go check how many more games reach those figures that fast, or ever. Fortnite will go back to the top eventually but there is still a reason to celebrate how massive this launch is 🍾👏👏

chonga

Crazy numbers with Xbox + PC . Gamepass flexing its legs right there.
FH4 was the best selling title on Xbox One. More than Minecraft. More than GTA. More than anything.

The fact a sequel that is available to a wider amount of people has become the most-played title this week is not crazy.

Leyasu

Banned
FH4 was the best selling title on Xbox One. More than Minecraft. More than GTA. More than anything.

The fact a sequel that is available to a wider amount of people has become the most-played title this week is not crazy.
Is this true?

elliot5

lol nothing surprise me at this point with this game 🚀 What’s a realistic end of year guess?
I think it'll drop off and the rate will slow down, but by end of year I'm guessing 14-16M. By end of life (meaning Horizon 6 in 2-3 years) I expect total play count to be closer to 40M+

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I think it'll drop off and the rate will slow down, but by end of year I'm guessing 14-16M. By end of life (meaning Horizon 6 in 2-3 years) I expect total play count to be closer to 40M+

Yeah, you have to figure that Halo and other releases will slow the trend a bit.

Fredrik

More sales than GTA and Minecraft? Where have you seen that?

Stuart360

Er you realize even games like Fortnite and Minecraft dont have 8., 9, and 10mil actually playing the game at any one time right?. Of course its total players and not number of players actually playing.
What you trolls seem to be forgetting is that not only do you have to unlock the festival to be part of the leaderboard (about 30mins of play), but people are having to download 100gb just to play it. This isnt videogame streaming here.
Plus if all this means nothing, why are there not tons of Gamepass games hitting these kind of numbers?, exactly.

DaGwaphics

24mil players on last report, which was months ago.

I had seen that, I just figured that CoD and GTAV numbers were still bigger. Although, GTAV probably does have a mammoth overall number if you figure in all the platforms/versions.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That’s ancient, 2017, and says 10 million players not sold copies. He said it was the best selling title. Still interesting though, FH3 is down at #15, the IP has exploded in popularity.

LOL, didn't notice that. The chart said sales in the title so I thought that is what it was talking about.

Stuart360

I had seen that, I just figured that CoD and GTAV numbers were still bigger. Although, GTAV probably does have a mammoth overall number if you figure in all the platforms/versions.
I believe GTAV, Roblox, and Minecraft have the highest unique player numbers. And yeah put all COD games together and they will be right up there too.
FH4 numbers are just for FH4 obviously.

Havoc2049

Those numbers are old as dirt. The FH4 number is an old player base count, not number of copies sold, and as someone already pointed out, they hit 24 mil for player base.

The nice even 2 million number for Sea of Thieves for example is from a 2018 interview of a Rare press rep when SoT hit the 4 mil player base mark and he was asked about the copies sold vs Gamepass breakdown, as Gamepass was still fairly new. He said about half that number was physical/digital copies sold and half was Gamepass. That is the only time Rare has released a number of copies sold. Ever since then, it has been player base numbers, which hit 25 mil a month or two ago.

Three

Those numbers are old as dirt. The FH4 number is an old player base count, not number of copies sold, and as someone already pointed out, they hit 24 mil for player base.

The nice even 2 million number for Sea of Thieves for example is from a 2018 interview of a Rare press rep when SoT hit the 4 mil player base mark and he was asked about the copies sold vs Gamepass breakdown, as Gamepass was still fairly new. He said about half that number was physical/digital copies sold and half was Gamepass. That is the only time Rare has released a number of copies sold. Ever since then, it has been player base numbers, which hit 25 mil a month or two ago.
To manabyte sales and playerbase are interchangeable. Be careful you will get into a string of wierd back and forth with others that will defy logic.

Nobody with an ounce of common sense will claim FH4 outsold GTAV or Minecraft.

saintjules

Who was the guy in the FH5 threads trying to downplay the total player count as much as possible trying to make it look like nobody is playing the game? Because according to his methodology, if a game has millions of player count but only 75,000 are playing it on Steam at that very minute on their tracker, it means the game is dead and only 75,000 people are going to play the game.

AP99? lol

Who was the guy in the FH5 threads trying to downplay the total player count as much as possible trying to make it look like nobody is playing the game? Because according to his methodology, if a game has millions of player count but only 75,000 are playing it on Steam at that very minute on their tracker, it means the game is dead and only 75,000 people are going to play the game.
The logic there is also funny considering the Xbox and PC crowd can be brought together via cross-play. You can't just count Steam numbers.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Er you realize even games like Fortnite and Minecraft dont have 8., 9, and 10mil actually playing the game at any one time right?. Of course its total players and not number of players actually playing.

Of course I do, just that these numbers are being analyzed almost as if they are either sales or recurrent players. They are neither, more of an example of how gamepass can get millions of people to try a game.

By the way, Forza Horizon is a big IP so I was expecting it to succeed either way, I'm just offering a different perspective than the drunk on kool aid ones like Manabyte acting like these are sales.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Great numbers but how is it my sessions only ever have a small handful of others players on? I haven’t been able to do a single forzathon live event yet. Never had this with FH4.

Schmick

Does anyone think that reverting back to driving on right after FH4 has had any impact on the player count since two thirds of the countries on our planet drive on the right.

freefornow

To manabyte sales and playerbase are interchangeable. Be careful you will get into a string of wierd back and forth with others that will defy logic.

Nobody with an ounce of common sense will claim FH4 outsold GTAV or Minecraft.
To be fair, ManaByte didnt make the claim.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Gold Member
So annoyed, was about to win an eliminator race, I was well ahead, and first place, right near the end and then suddenly the game ended and said I was 3rd, wtf.

Really soured me on the eliminator as I should've got that 30gs achievement :l

Top Bottom