• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year.

I'm started to see a weird trend around the time of starfield release because of lower than expected steam players and the reviews.

That trend is people talking about sales and then saying 'doesn't include gamepass numbers' even some gaming website said it too.

I'm sorry what? Unless gamepass subs magically went up 5 million on starfields release we have NO way of even knowing.

You can't use gamepass numbers as any measurement of sales success. It either sold well or didn't. Maybe even gamepass might have cannibalised some of those sales, but isn't that the point of gamepass. If someone is subbed they aren't going to buy the game.

As we know MS won't report sales, and they'll just report useless metrics for engagement (lol).

However if it did 10 million im sure they would be shouting it. Some people just don't like to admit that subs like gamepass massively affected a games sales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm not getting the shade thrown at Chris Dring here at all. Wasn't that long ago I distinctly remember arguing with some folks around here claiming he was a PlayStation fanboy. Personally I think he does a pretty good job relaying information, but I think far too much is read INTO what his article says. The fact that he mentions Game Pass isn't controversial considering we know for a fact that Game Pass cannibalizes sales.
I don't disagree with his Game Pass information. That's actually good information to make it less ambiguous. However, I have several other issues with how he chose to write this article and present this data.

The following line in the article suggests that this is YTD data. It's not.

3o2bxSJ.jpg

Several people, even in this thread, are confused this launch sales data with YTD sales data because of how Chris presented this information.

And tell us how big PS5 user base is in europe for FF16 sales vs Xbox and GP. what's the Europe ratio vs Xbox? Like 5:1? More? In two weeks it already outsold FF16 and probably half the Starfield gamers play on GP. FF16 came out 3 months ago.

Even he had to clarify on Twitter that it is not the 5th best-selling game.

eyPrV8T.jpg

He is differentiating between "best-selling" and "fastest-selling." And I don't need to tell you how crazy that is.

Then comes the tracking period, which is a mess in this report. He is comparing 11 weeks of Starfield sales on PC + Xbox with 4-day of FF16's sales on PS5 or 3 days of F1 23 data. There is no sense of equivalency here.

Overall, his report is a mess. His data is flawed because of the selection criteria and tracking period. That's why he is being criticized. It's the same issue as the last time he reported about Starfield's data and stupidly added Game Pass player count data and compared it with sales data of other games.

He is not a stupid person; he is pretty smart. And, at this point, I'm pretty sure he is doing it for clicks and attention.

Freeman76

I'm started to see a weird trend around the time of starfield release because of lower than expected steam players and the reviews.

That trend is people talking about sales and then saying 'doesn't include gamepass numbers' even some gaming website said it too.

I'm sorry what? Unless gamepass subs magically went up 5 million on starfields release we have NO way of even knowing.

You can't use gamepass numbers as any measurement of sales success. It either sold well or didn't. Maybe even gamepass might have cannibalised some of those sales, but isn't that the point of gamepass. If someone is subbed they aren't going to buy the game.

As we know MS won't report sales, and they'll just report useless metrics for engagement (lol).

However if it did 10 million im sure they would be shouting it. Some people just don't like to admit that subs like gamepass massively affected a games sales.
Who really cares how much a game sold at the end of the day though?

As consumers all we should be concerned with is how good the product is.

I couldnt give a shit how much these billions of dollar companies made, or how many people are playing it. Means nothing to me, but then I'm knee deep enjoying Starfield and not bored enough to concern myself with things that ultimately mean nothing to my life in any way.

Thats not aimed at you btw.. .just a thought about the gamepass vs sales angle

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't disagree with his Game Pass information. That's actually good information to make it less ambiguous. However, I have several other issues with how he chose to write this article and present this data.

The following line in the article suggests that this is YTD data. It's not.

3o2bxSJ.jpg

Several people, even in this thread, are confused this launch sales data with YTD sales data because of how Chris presented this information.

Even he had to clarify on Twitter that it is not the 5th best-selling game.

eyPrV8T.jpg

He is differentiating between "best-selling" and "fastest-selling." And I don't need to tell you how crazy that is.

Then comes the tracking period, which is a mess in this report. He is comparing 11 weeks of Starfield sales on PC + Xbox with 4-day of FF16's sales on PS5 or 3 days of F1 23 data. There is no sense of equivalency here.

Overall, his report is a mess. His data is flawed because of the selection criteria and tracking period. That's why he is being criticized. It's the same issue as the last time he reported about Starfield's data and stupidly added Game Pass player count data and compared it with sales data of other games.

He is not a stupid person; he is pretty smart. And, at this point, I'm pretty sure he is doing it for clicks and attention.

There is nothing suggesting this is YTD. Fastest selling new IP and fifth fastest-selling game overall are all aligned with the game's respective launches.

There is no reason why Dring needed to clarify what his article said. People need to read better.

The fact that some guy on twitter was confused by "best-selling" and "fastest-selling" is on him, not Dring.

His report is fine. Mountain out of molehill, imo.

There is nothing suggesting this is YTD. Fastest selling new IP and fifth fastest-selling game overall are all aligned with the game's respective launches.

There is no reason why Dring needed to clarify what his article said. People need to read better.

The fact that some guy on twitter was confused by "best-selling" and "fastest-selling" is on him, not Dring.

His report is fine. Mountain out of molehill, imo.
Fastest selling new IP might could be true, but 5th fastest selling game isn't. His own data shows that , and he knows it himself too.

Very high class journalism indeed.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The bigger story here is that Starfield is a better game than D4, yet it sold more partly due to a lack of pitchfork mobs.

Topher

Gold Member
So you're basically saying you have no idea how days could be used as measure of speed?

No, I understand that quite well. I'm asking you where this data is that you are talking about. I don't see it in his article.

I'm not doubting you, dude. I'm just asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guys......I'm asking a question, not making a statement.
I'm answering that question 😛

The data does not necessarily show that Starfield is the 5th fastest-selling game (as Chris said in his article) because the tracking period is inconsistent.

For example, Chris tracked data for Fifa and F1 '23 for only 3 days. Then Chris tracked Starfield sales data for 11 days. Then he concluded that "Starfield sold more in 11 days than Fifa or F1 sold in 3 days, so Starfield was the faster selling game."

And that's obviously wrong. To make an accurate comparison, you had to compare Starfield's 3 day sales data with Fifa and F1, or track Fifa's and F1's 11-day sales data with Starfield's 11 day sales data. Only then you could determine which was the faster-selling game.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Number 1 if we count gamepass

The data does not necessarily show that Starfield is the 5th fastest-selling game (as Chris said in his article) because the tracking period is inconsistent.

For example, Chris tracked data for Fifa and F1 '23 for only 3 days. Then Chris tracked Starfield sales data for 11 days. Then he concluded that "Starfield sold more in 11 days than Fifa or F1 sold in 3 days, so Starfield was the faster selling game."

And that's obviously wrong. To make an accurate comparison, you had to compare Starfield's 3 day sales data with Fifa and F1, or track Fifa's and F1's 11-day sales data with Starfield's 11 day sales data. Only then you could determine which was the faster-selling game.
Dring has been so weird about starfield, twisting words to create some kind of success has ever done this before?

Number 1 if we count gamepass

Dring has been so weird about starfield, twisting words to create some kind of success has ever done this before?

You guys are really grasping at straws to somehow undermine this games success. What are you reposting that tweet for? He never said anything about "best-selling".

Topher

Gold Member
Second paragraph.
Does Adamsapple have your login info, pretty similar artificial stupidity on play here.

No idea what your problem is my man. If I'm wrong about something then I'll be happy to admit it.

Ok.....that all makes sense, but where is Dring listing the number of days he tracked each game?

This isn't an actual quote is it?

"Starfield sold more in 11 days than Fifa or F1 sold in 3 days, so Starfield was the faster selling game."

Last edited:

Read the third paragraph for goodness sake, it's all there, you're writing this and it's already covered in the article.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ok.....that all makes sense, but where is Dring listing the number of days he tracked each game?

This isn't an actual quote is it?
He didn't. He just wrote this one line to cover his ass -- which is where PropellerEar PropellerEar was also trying to divert your attention to. The number of days tracked for the listed games was done manually by Z zedinen , based on their release dates/days.

rEPYFqb.jpg

Last edited:

NickFire

I assume that anyone who pays to upgrade from base GP to deluxe (etc) counts as a sale. Do we know for sure either way?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Read the third paragraph for goodness sake, it's all there, you're writing this and it's already covered in the article.
I've read it. That's why I'm saying this comparison is flawed.

Do you think it's fair to compare 3 days of one game's sales with 11 days of another game's sales?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
He didn't. He just wrote this one line to cover his ass -- which is where PropellerEar PropellerEar was also trying to divert your attention to. The number of days tracked for the listed games was done manually by Z zedinen , based on their release dates/days.

rEPYFqb.jpg

And that's fine. I was looking for "data" from PropellerEar rather than a disclaimer or caveat. Certainly early access throws a monkey wrench in all of this, but it applies to Diablo 4 and Hogwarts Legacy as well. Last question I have and maybe Z zedinen would be better to explain. The article says "week one sales" so why is there only 3 or 4 days listed as "Days tracked" here for several games:

HRsnfkO.jpg

Just because you self-identify your own stupidity doesn't mean you ain't going to get called out for your own stupidity
Just because you can write stupid posts doesn't mean you should, does it? Problem is everyone is saying it's a big "gotcha moment", yet he covers this himself in said article 🤣

Is he gaining anything from this article? I don't imagine he is, is his data flawed given the different amount of time for each game, yes it is, but again he states this himself so it's not disingenuous.

And that's fine. I was looking for "data" from PropellerEar rather than a disclaimer or caveat. Certainly early access throws a monkey wrench in all of this, but it applies to Diablo 4 and Hogwarts Legacy as well. Last question I have and maybe Z zedinen would be better to explain. The article says "week one sales" so why is there only 3 or 4 days listed as "Days tracked" here for several games:

HRsnfkO.jpg

Last day of tracking is Sunday I think for launch week. I'm assuming all the games that have 3 days tracking launched on a Friday, while FF16 launched on Thursday

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

HRsnfkO.jpg
Because those games were released 3 (or 4) days before the week ended. It's not a separate 7-day rolling period for each game.

And it does apply to HL and Diablo 4, and that only shows how flawed this data is.

However, if the headline is that "Starfield is the 5th fastest-selling game of the year," and Starfield has 3x more tracked days than the games listed below it, then those are the games suffering in this conversation and need to be highlighted -- not necessarily HL or Diablo 4.

Just because you can write stupid posts doesn't mean you should, does it? Problem is everyone is saying it's a big "gotcha moment", yet he covers this himself in said article 🤣

Is he gaining anything from this article? I don't imagine he is, is his data flawed given the different amount of time for each game, yes it is, but again he states this himself so it's not disingenuous.

Instead of having to correct your own headline, maybe don't make the headline in the first place?

Agree on your first point though. Just wish you would follow through with it

Topher

Gold Member
Last day of tracking is Sunday I think for launch week. I'm assuming all the games that have 3 days tracking launched on a Friday, while FF16 launched on Thursday

Because those games were released 3 (or 4) days before the week ended. It's not a separate 7-day rolling period for each game.

And it does apply to HL and Diablo 4, and that only shows how flawed this data is.

However, if the headline is that "Starfield is the 5th fastest-selling game of the year," and Starfield has 3x more tracked days than the games listed below it, then those are the games suffering in this conversation and need to be highlighted -- not necessarily HL or Diablo 4.

Thanks. I didn't realize it wasn't necessarily a full week's worth of data. Your points make more sense now.

Wasn't trying to get under your skin, PropellerEar PropellerEar

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can anyone explain what would make this comparison fair for them? What does Chris need to do to make this fair?

If the games official launch date is the date it launched, should he have just counted 3 days from then and done the same for hogwarts and diablo?

Beaten only by some of the absolute biggest IPs in the history of entertainment (and Diablo lol) while the majority of people likely played on on Gamepass is surely a crazy success story. I'm surprised it's anywhere near the top never mind above stuff like RE4 and FF16.

This game will still be selling 10 years from now
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Thirty7ven

Banned
Imagine that, comparing games with 10 and 11 days to games with 3 to 5.

Another thing is, funny how people used to be all like “oh game X only sold that much after discounts”, when even with heavy discounts you still pay more for the game than paying for Gamepass. Reached players though? Oh those are gold I tell ya!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can anyone explain what would make this comparison fair for them? What does Chris need to do to make this fair?

If the games official launch date is the date it launched, should he have just counted 3 days from then and done the same for hogwarts and diablo?
Those EA games are getting two launch dates added together. Either one is the official or it's not. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Alex Scott

Nothing really. We will know what it does sales wise by next month.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The bottom line though is that Starfield's currently #5 BUT the year isn't over yet!

We're heading into blockbuster season, meaning that before the end of the year there's likely to be at least a few more contenders for top 10 openings.

Its going to be interesting to see how things turn out by the time the holidays are done.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The bottom line though is that Starfield's currently #5 BUT the year isn't over yet!

We're heading into blockbuster season, meaning that before the end of the year there's likely to be at least a few more contenders for top 10 openings.

Its going to be interesting to see how things turn out by the time the holidays are done.

Spider man 2 will absolutely over take it. It would be a disaster if it didn't, but there is no way of that not happening due to the strength of the games quality, the brand and the install base.

So it will probably end up number 9 or just slipping out of the top 10 if it's lucky.

Fifa, cod and spider man are all going to chart higher.

Top Bottom