• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year.

Killjoy-NL

You know this star wars game was hyped, had awesome reviews and was across three platforms without game pass. It launched along side Mandalorian season 3 as well. The hype was massive. Why are you trying your best to downplay this.

Its friggin' star wars.
Yes, it had awesome reviews.
Starfield is kind of a hot mess in that regard.

That says something.

Raven117

Its a solid enough game. Will likely be one of the first games downloaded (on Game Pass) or bought when someone buys an Xbox. Couple that with the mods, then yeah, it will do fine.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
45e.jpg

Funny, Xbox was going to crush Playstation after the Bethesda acquisition and Starfield was going to be a nail in the coffin for PS5.

Now it's a good sign it's selling just okay because GamePass and new IP?
No one outside of fringe fanboys thought one game from Bethesda was going to cause the Xbox to begin outselling PS5 for the rest of the generation. If you take at face value the opinions from the most deluded people on either side of the spectrum, I guess you can always win your make-believe arguments.

Too Easy Gamer GIF by Global Esports

yazenov

Its funny that the same people who regurgitate the pr bullshit that Gamepass increases game sales for years prior to the court leaks are now downplaying the underwhelming sales due to Starfield being on Gamepass day 1.

Its extremely entertaining and funny how life works.

Killjoy-NL

No one outside of fringe fanboys thought one game from Bethesda was going to cause the Xbox to begin outselling PS5 for the rest of the generation. If you take at face value the opinions from the most deluded people on either side of the spectrum, I guess you can always win your make-believe arguments.

Too Easy Gamer GIF by Global Esports
That's why I said "a nail in the coffin", not "final nail in the coffin".

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Who is acting like this is selling like a #1 though?

Meme has to be relevant for it to make sense.

It's not a flop. That's the takeaway. That still triggers peoples.
Why would anyone in their sane mind give a shit about 5th fastest selling ?

It’s clearly trying to be painted as this amaaaazing achievement but no one cares.

For the record I like starfield. Enjoyed my 70 some hours with it.

Its funny that the same people who regurgitate the pr bullshit that Gamepass increases game sales for years prior to the court leaks are now downplaying the underwhelming sales due to Starfield being on Gamepass day 1.

Its extremely entertaining and funny how life works.
It seems to increase sales for indie and lesser known third party games since a Game Pass release is essentially marketing for full price sales on other platforms. For the biggest exclusive games on Xbox consoles, of course it will cut majorly into actual sales.

twilo99

Wow great numbers! Congratulations to Bethesta! Imagine if the game wasn't a Game Pass day one!

Curious to see september numbers for hardware.

I don’t think it moved as many consoles as people think it did.. it’s mainly a PC game.

Starfield sold as many Xboxes as BG3 sold PS5s

twilo99

It seems to increase sales for indie and lesser known third party games since a Game Pass release is essentially marketing for full price sales on other platforms. For the biggest exclusive games on Xbox consoles, of course it will cut majorly into actual sales.

But there is no such thing as Xbox exclusive, all games are available on PC sold by a 3rd party that has nothing to do with Xbox.

NickFire

Those projections feel odd to me. I initially assumed this year meant calendar year 2023. But NBA 2k23 is on there and it came out September 2022. It's one thing to not see COD on there. But where is last year's FIFA? Did Dead Island really outsell FIFA in the first week or two?

Buggy Loop

Why would anyone in their sane mind give a shit about 5th fastest selling ?

It’s clearly trying to be painted as this amaaaazing achievement but no one cares.

For the record I like starfield. Enjoyed my 70 some hours with it.

The guy who reports sales is reporting sales data (shock) and in the end the game ends up being Xbox's biggest launch this gen in Europe.

That's it

That was newsworthy enough. Why the hell not?

5 pages of mostly triggered and trolling posts though. Why would anyone in their sane mind give a shit, indeed.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Many people were betting FF16 would outsell it because « who in their right mind would buy a game that’s on GamePass? »

Now the goalposts are going to grav drive to another galaxy because the game didn’t outsell Hogwarts, Diablo and Zelda, aka three gigantic licenses.

So you are ignoring PC game sales huh?

Sleepwalker

Those projections feel odd to me. I initially assumed this year meant calendar year 2023. But NBA 2k23 is on there and it came out September 2022. It's one thing to not see COD on there. But where is last year's FIFA? Did Dead Island really outsell FIFA in the first week or two?
FIFA 23 came out in 2022. The new one comes out next week and it'll probably catapult to #1 spot.

But you're right about NBA I guess.

Last edited:

NickFire

FIFA 23 came out in 2022. The new one comes out next week and it'll probably catapult to #1 spot.

But you're right about NBA I guess.
Not only did NBA 23 come out in 22, but it came out like two weeks and change before FIFA did. Very weird chart. Tough to believe FIFA not in top 10 in Europe over last 12 months.

Sleepwalker

Not only did NBA 23 come out in 22, but it came out like two weeks and change before FIFA did. Very weird chart. Tough to believe FIFA not in top 10 in Europe over last 12 months.
It's probably #1 in europe.

The biggest game of the month, by a very large margin, was FIFA 23. EA's final FIFA game finished its run in style, with sales up 6% compared with the launch of FIFA 22.

The nearest competitior to FIFA is another sports game: NBA 2K23. The typically US-centric sport continues to grow in popularity in Europe, with sales up 10.5% compared with last year's version.

damidu

You can call it a cop out excuse, but facts are facts. These games don’t just burn out within months and it’s why they are never forgotten and often discussed.
yeah yeah it was also supposed to put world on fire, burry bg3 into obscurity, score mid 90s because it was the next big bethesda rpg, 25 years in the making etc etc.
we heard it all. evergreen sounds more like moving goalposts at this point

just accept world has moved on from this archaic game design, and its a midling rpg
unfortunately released in same month with an actual top rpg.

it will not have the legs you wish for it to have.

Pallas

If you are correct then Starfield will stay a top 10 seller for a long time

That isn’t going to happen. Modded community will be niche, most people won’t stay engaged
So wait, it has to be a top ten seller for long time? Says who? Just because it’s not in the top ten for an entire gen doesn’t mean the game won’t have legs.

yeah yeah it was also supposed to put world on fire, burry bg3 into obscurity, score mid 90s because it was the next big bethesda rpg, 25 years in the making etc etc.
we heard it all. evergreen sounds more like moving goalposts at this point

just accept world has moved on from this archaic game design, and its a midling rpg
unfortunately released in same month with an actual top rpg.

it will not have the legs you wish for it to have.

You spend too much time reading this forum and the opinions of it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
-EUROPE, where XS user base is smaller.

-Gamepass game day one.

-Better launch for a new IP, I repeat, in Europe for a game that does not come out on PS5.

-It surpasses, I repeat, in Europe, releases like FFXVI and RE4 Remake that, here said, are a tops sale and a comercial win games being IPs established and recognized .

The data from the USA and the rest of the world will be interesting to evaluate with a certain basis, but it does not seem like the commercial failure that some defend that Starfield has been. Not to mention that, as is usually the case for Bethesda games, the game could have good legs and maintain a sales rate over the long term, especially with DLC expansions and mods.

Can some of yall explain what a commercial failure would have been for Starfield? Because I don't think anybody here actually thinks Starfield would be an actual failure.

Ozriel

M$FT
Their messaging, IMO, has been all over the place.

They should fully embrace "bring your own device" as a strategy and be available anywhere, even on PlayStation. That would be truly disruptive and could force Sony to do the same and even if not, that'd be OKAY because their content would be on their own box, on their PC, on Steam, on PlayStation, etc. The problem with Microsoft has been that, they have been trying to win the game by playing by someone else's rules. They can afford to do what I am saying... they've got the money.

Initially, I thought that was where they **might** have been headed, but it became clear as time went on that wasn't exactly it. Some form of that is still in play, but it looks to me like they do want to have as much control, as they can, over the platforms their content is on.

Their messaging has been crystal clear. Bring your own device as long as you’re either in the Xbox ecosystem (native) or a GamePass subscriber. They’ve never signposted that theyd put all their games on another console and go fully third party.

So they’re telling you that you can play all Xbox first party games on the TV you already own via GamePass streaming…

I personally don't think "cloud" via a browser is a good option for this type of strategy, but that is probably just me. So that is kind of why I think they should either fully embrace it or stick to the old way of keeping your stuff locked to your own devices.

Anyway, I get what you are saying, but I don't think the way they are doing it is the best way. They should put native versions on a Mac too, if you ask me, if they really want to push the "play anywhere" messaging.

all Macs ship with a compliant web browser you can stream from.
If cloud streaming doesn’t resonate with you, that’s not really a messaging problem.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And this game would shoot up the charts more if tons of people didn't GP a download.

Starfield already blew by FF16. PS5 has double the console base and came out in June. Starfield has been out for a week and a half. Two weeks if counting early access.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Considering that Starfield is on Game Pass, it's pretty impressive, some assumed it wouldn't even track.
And this game would shoot up the charts more if tons of people didn't GP a download.

Starfield already blew by FF16. PS5 has double the console base and came out in June.
So now Game Pass impacts sales, eh?

What a difference a game makes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But then nobody would have anything to cry about and they would have to enjoy an amazing game. We don't want that here. It's more fun to read the takes of people that never even started the game.
If you choose to. I have been reading takes from tons who have played it for 50+ hours. And not all of them are peaches & cream.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Tell us how big the user base is of PC?
And tell us how big PS5 user base is in europe for FF16 sales vs Xbox and GP. what's the Europe ratio vs Xbox? Like 5:1? More? In two weeks it already outsold FF16 and probably half the Starfield gamers play on GP. FF16 came out 3 months ago.

Who knows what the PC user base is but going by SteamDB, Starfield has only peaked at 300,000 or so people. So sales arent even that big yet in two weeks.

Last edited:

Stuart360

If you choose to. I have been reading takes from tons who have played it for 50+ hours. And not all of them are peaches & cream.
Deep more poeple than not that have played that long like it though. I mean the fact they have played 50+ hours in the first place shows they are getting something out of it.
I'd much rather listen to people who have atcually put the time in as oppose to a bunch of people shitting on the game who havent even played it, and are being allowed to do it.

Just my take.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Deep more poeple than not that have played that long like it though. I mean the fact they have played 50+ hours in the first place shows they are getting something out of it.
I'd much rather listen to people who have atcually put the time in as oppose to a bunch of people shitting on the game who havent even played it, and are being allowed to do it.

Just my take.
How does you take dispute anything I said?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
And tell us how big PS5 user base is in europe for FF16 sales vs Xbox and GP. what's the Europe ratio vs Xbox? Like 5:1? More? In two weeks it already outsold FF16 and probably half the Starfield gamers play on GP. FF16 came out 3 months ago.

Who knows what the PC user base is but going by SteamDB, Starfield has only peaked at 300,000 or so people. So sales arent even that big yet in two weeks.

PC userbase is much larger than the gap between PS5 and Xbox

Just my take.

I have 90+ hours of regret

Mr Moose

Starfield already blew by FF16. PS5 has double the console base and came out in June. Starfield has been out for a week and a half. Two weeks if counting early access.
Only took including PC to do it, congrats to them. This is week one sales for all of those titles.

Stuart360

So what's the issue then?
No issue with you. You said you have seen some criticism form some poeple that have put 50+ houirs in, and i'm sure you have. And i said most people that have put that amount of time into it are liking it., which is true.

I know its strange on here to try and view Starfield from apositive angle, but no there is no issue with what you said.:messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom