• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year.

MrTired

So, give or take, around 7~9 million in sales, all the while launching on game pass day 1. They got that 6m+ user count a day or so after the retail release, it's probably gonna eclipse Horizon's impressive 20m before October is over.

Seems to be doing pretty well from both sales, and user engagement metric. The publishers oughta be very happy with this.
You think Starfield sold more copies than God of War Ragnarok did in the same at the period when Starfield is available on Gamepass. The delusion is real.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You think Starfield sold more copies than God of War Ragnarok did in the same at the period when Starfield is available on Gamepass. The delusion is real.

Extrapolating from available data. No need to get so personally invested.

What I could find:

Hogwarts: 12M in the first two weeks (ww)

TotK: 10M in the first three days (ww)

Diablo: 666M USD in sales in the first 5 days so a bit less than 10M units sold?

Jedi Survivor: couldn’t find any info.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You know it's on Game Pass and that the highest selling console it's releasing on can't even play a disc copy, right?
I don't know anything (nobody is sharing numbers except the vague players) besides the fact that the length of tracking is botched in favour of Starfield's EA.

Like:
HRsnfkO.jpg

twilo99

Not a bad place to be for a new IP that’s also day one on Game Pass.

It would’ve been a nice experiment if this game was actually a Sony style exclusive where the game is only available on the Xbox without the subscription service and PC… how many plastic boxes would it actually move..

mejin

What did he get called out for?

He talked about sales last week too.

He compared to Diablo 4 which was a major digital hit and said "Throw in Game Pass… this might be the biggest launch of 2023. And that’s saying something"

I'm not talking people on "GAF" called him out, but the internet in general. I think that's why this week he mentions "no gamepass data".

sainraja

Was it the biggest xbox launch or the the biggest Microsoft launch? GSD includes PC/steam. Is Dring just saying that based on the all platform ranking or on individual SKU? I would have thought FH5 would outsell Starfield on xbox only.
Well, the Xbox is now basically a console and a PC platform wise. I know it's not as clean on the PC side due to Steam and their play anywhere program not applying to it.

Yoboman

So can we conclude that best selling game of the year poll?

Down to TOTK and Hogwarts. Maybe Spiderman 2 can squeeze in a healthy third

adamsapple

Starfield was comfortably No.1 across Europe during its launch week, GSD data shows.

Like I said in the first UK sales thread, Xbox's affinity to have higher digital sales will make the sales even higher even after just the sheer Series X physical copies being #1 in the UK.

Probably gonna get another massive spike when the creation kit launches, post the initial months.

GG.

Topher

Gold Member
He talked about sales last week too.

He compared to Diablo 4 which was a major digital hit and said "Throw in Game Pass… this might be the biggest launch of 2023. And that’s saying something"

I'm not talking people on "GAF" called him out, but the internet in general. I think that's why this week he mentions "no gamepass data".

Doesn't seem that controversial of thing to say to me, but ok.

Chukhopops

RE4 was just above 3M in 3 days?
So "extrapolating" using same window as RE4, Starefield sold prob less than 1m copies in 3 days and has no business being compared to these successful games.
RE4 did 3M in 3 days, 4M in two weeks and 5M by July 2023 according to Wikipedia:

Resident Evil 4 sold over three million units in the first two days of release.[77] The game sold four million units in the first two weeks, making it one of the fastest-selling Resident Evil games.[78] By July 2023, it had sold over five million units.[79]

The sales are not linear over the first weeks with most of it being immediately after launch. It’s dumb to linearly extrapolate 3 days into several weeks when it’s gonna be a logarithmic curve.

twilo99

Well, the Xbox is now basically a console and a PC platform wise. I know it's not as clean on the PC side due to Steam and their play anywhere program not applying to it.

Xbox is becoming more of a “bring your own device” type of service.. in this case if you wanted to play Starfield you can do so from a high end PC, various handhelds, a MacBook, cheap console, or even a Chromebook.

The only thing preventing PlayStation gamers from playing Starfield is the lack of a web browser on the PS5.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Extrapolating from available data. No need to get so personally invested.
pot-kettle.gif

Truth is this a decent result. Definitely not anything to scream from mountain tops over and it's only seeing that sort of scrutiny because of all the pre-hype claiming all sorts of things the game would never do in the first place..

Last edited:

Alphagear

Just wait for FIFA and Spider-man 2 to drop. That list is about to change big time.

Still I'm surprise TotK is not number uno.

Doesn’t include digital sales for Nintendo.

Hogwarts also had early access and was released on multiple platforms.

Ozriel

M$FT
People who spent months telling us how GamePass would cannibalize and brutalize sales are now claiming ‘5th best selling game’ is an abject failure.

Your comparing a single platform game with 2 platform game with extra week minimum sales?

FFXVI was heavily front loaded, the 3 million sales figure was quoted as week one sales.

focusing on number of platforms and extra week, but steadfastly ignoring that it was on GamePass too.

sainraja

Xbox is becoming more of a “bring your own device” type of service.. in this case if you wanted to play Starfield you can do so from a high end PC, various handhelds, a MacBook, cheap console, or even a Chromebook.

The only thing preventing PlayStation gamers from playing Starfield is the lack of a web browser on the PS5.
Their messaging, IMO, has been all over the place.

They should fully embrace "bring your own device" as a strategy and be available anywhere, even on PlayStation. That would be truly disruptive and could force Sony to do the same and even if not, that'd be OKAY because their content would be on their own box, on their PC, on Steam, on PlayStation, etc. The problem with Microsoft has been that, they have been trying to win the game by playing by someone else's rules. They can afford to do what I am saying... they've got the money.

Initially, I thought that was where they **might** have been headed, but it became clear as time went on that wasn't exactly it. Some form of that is still in play, but it looks to me like they do want to have as much control, as they can, over the platforms their content is on.

I personally don't think "cloud" via a browser is a good option for this type of strategy, but that is probably just me. So that is kind of why I think they should either fully embrace it or stick to the old way of keeping your stuff locked to your own devices.

Anyway, I get what you are saying, but I don't think the way they are doing it is the best way. They should put native versions on a Mac too, if you ask me, if they really want to push the "play anywhere" messaging.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Truth is this a decent result. Definitely not anything to scream from mountain tops over and it's only seeing that sort of scrutiny because of all the pre-hype claiming all sorts of things the game would never do in the first place..

Believe it or not, I agree with you in general. There was a lot of mischaracterized speak being thrown around. The game was called Skyrim in Space since 2021, that's what I went in and that's exactly what the game is.

But to be fair, another thing a lot of people claimed was that the game's not gonna chart at all because of game pass, that has also not been true.

It's a good game that has been turned into a messiah or whipping boy depending on which side of the aisle you're in.

Well, yeah. No shit, you have more Xbox consoles in the wild.

Dring's obsession to paint this as a huge success in daunting.

(It is also worth noting that the game has more days of tracking due to EA, FF XVI launch tracked for 4 days)
And your obsession with wanting to paint this as a failure/downplay is even more daunting and pathetic.

GTFO of here with this pathetic console plastic war bullshit.

Last edited:

yazenov

But Christopher Dring told us that the physical sales of Starfield are identical to Diablo, so their digital sales will be similar somehow. Whatever happened to that dumb theory?

Also he should keep the same energy and compare the whole month sales of the games for fairness sake. It would give us a better understanding if the sales are sustained for the entire month.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Doesn't matter.

Starfield is a major Bethesda title and a flagship title for Xbox that has been hyped to no end.
Yet in 10 days it couldn't outsell 3 days of Star Wars Jedi Survivor.

Can't imagine Xbox being happy about that.

You know this star wars game was hyped, had awesome reviews and was across three platforms without game pass. It launched along side Mandalorian season 3 as well. The hype was massive. Why are you trying your best to downplay this.

Its friggin' star wars.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Why do you doubt the legs of a Bethesda game? Even the worst Bethesda game has ridiculous legs. Mods, QoL updates, and DLC will keep it relevant for a long time.

I just don’t think this game has any real legs, it will be forgotten about pretty quickly since it’s not up to modern standards and critically underwhelmed

It’s no different from any other title with DLC

Doesn't matter.

Starfield is a major Bethesda title and a flagship title for Xbox that has been hyped to no end.
Yet in 10 days it couldn't outsell 3 days of Star Wars Jedi Survivor.

Can't imagine Xbox being happy about that.
LOL. The facts don't align with your hysterical viewpoint, so they don't matter?

You are really asking why a game with STAR WARS in its name and available on PS5 sold more than a brand new IP that was not available on PS5 and was heavily marketed as being available on GamePass from day one?

Kristin Chenoweth GIF by BuzzFeed

Pallas

I just don’t think this game has any real legs, it will be forgotten about pretty quickly since it’s not up to modern standards and critically underwhelmed

It’s no different from any other title with DLC
Tell me you haven’t played a Bethesda RPG without actually telling me. The modding community alone will keep this game running for a decade plus.

Well, yeah. No shit, you have more Xbox consoles in the wild.

Dring's obsession to paint this as a huge success in daunting.

(It is also worth noting that the game has more days of tracking due to EA, FF XVI launch tracked for 4 days)
It is a huge success, you and a few others have tired to downplay every positive data surrounding Starfield and low and behold you're at it again.

lucbr

Wow great numbers! Congratulations to Bethesta! Imagine if the game wasn't a Game Pass day one!

Curious to see september numbers for hardware.

Poltz

You know this star wars game was hyped, had awesome reviews and was across three platforms without game pass. It launched along side Mandalorian season 3 as well. The hype was massive. Why are you trying your best to downplay this.

Its friggin' star wars.
Which game do you think had the higher CCU on Steam? Starfield or Star Wars Jedi Survivor?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Tell me you haven’t played a Bethesda RPG without actually telling me. The modding community alone will keep this game running for a decade plus.

Such a cop out excuse

Yeah, there will be modders

Doesn’t mean the game will be some evergreen seller like Skyrim

Times have changed

Killjoy-NL

LOL. The facts don't align with your hysterical viewpoint, so they don't matter?

You are really asking why a game with STAR WARS in its name and available on PS5 sold more than a brand new IP that was not available on PS5 and was heavily marketed as being available on GamePass from day one?

Kristin Chenoweth GIF by BuzzFeed
Funny, Xbox was going to crush Playstation after the Bethesda acquisition and Starfield was going to be a nail in the coffin for PS5.

Now it's a good sign it's selling just okay because GamePass and new IP?

Top Bottom