• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

Vrolokus said:
I'm scratching my head over these comments about the asphalt and grass textures being "last-gen"... everything is motion-blurred up the wazoo, so how in the world can you say anything about the track textures?

For reals. I don't even think the Infiniti looks bad at all. The rear lights look completely modeled. Looks really nice to me. And the new HUD is pretty sweet. Better than 1 for sure. I want to see how hott the guide arrows look.

Gek54

Uses the same engine as Forza 1: confirmed. New engine in time for thear yearly update in 2007 for Forza 3, I hope so.

The blur is complete garbage, if you cant turn that off, no sale.

Gek54

m0dus said:
People, please keep a couple of things in mind.

before you go apeshit over the motion blur, remember that this game is using the photomode features pulled directly from PGR3. More than likely this is some overzealous use of the DOF and blur effects in order to add a greater sense of speed to a still image. I am willint to bet there's likely no way the game would be able to maintain a 60fps framerate with THAT much blur applied in realtime.

Did you not see the god awful blur in the HUD shot?

jett

D-Member
Pretty unimpressive.

Confidence Man said:
Same car to compare.

552_0011.jpg

625da4c33062974701856c1df04aad22.jpg

Definitely looks better, but still way below what I would've expected.

Holy crap, is the first pic from Forza 1? It looks like almost the same model.

GhaleonEB

That blur is excessive. If your games runs at 60 fps and is decent at conveying a compelling sense of speed, motion blur is completely unneeded. Your eyes will create the blur, just as they do with real life objects.

It was ugly in the Motorstorm pics, and it's ugly here.

mr_nothin

Banned
Vrolokus said:
I'm scratching my head over these comments about the asphalt and grass textures being "last-gen"... everything is motion-blurred up the wazoo, so how in the world can you say anything about the track textures?
lol, which grass textures are you looking at?
that's like the worse grass textures i've seen
how can you tell? they're all blurred
but even with that factored in...doesnt look nice to the eyes
??
But in the shot with the Infiniti in it...the asphalt isnt that blurred and the grass isnt either (in comparision to the little bumber lining right next to it)

scarybore

Gek54 said:
The blur is complete garbage, if you can turn that off, no sale.

So... you want the blur? :lol

before you go apeshit over the motion blur, remember that this game is using the photomode features pulled directly from PGR3. More than likely this is some overzealous use of the DOF and blur effects in order to add a greater sense of speed to a still image. I am willint to bet there's likely no way the game would be able to maintain a 60fps framerate with THAT much blur applied in realtime.

If true, the employee who captured the images should be shot out of a cannon into the sun! They failed horribly.

Gek54

m0dus said:
Did you realize you can take screenshots with the HUD on?

I honestly think this is someone's overzealous use of blur for the purpose of making some fast-looking print mag shots.

Screen shot of a monitor or a frame buffer grab? It doesnt look any thing like a shot of a monitor and fame buffer grabs dont add blur that isnt there. You know better.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
could it be possible they're a little older? I know how it is with PR and releasing screens from older builds, so i just thought this could be the case

"This has also been an important week for the graphics and systems devs in getting much better numbers out of game performance. Framerates are hopscotching at regular intervals toward the magical number of 60, while more and more post-effects are turned on in the graphics department. Animating 3D crowds, animated 3D grass, and high dyynamic-range lighting are just a few of the elements that have recently been activated in the game..."

3d grass damnit! that was from the august 19th update

Doesn't look too bad.

Obviously, the've had to make some compromises graphically over Forza to get it at 60FPS.

It's still uncanny how they can't get the natural lighting right though - shots still look computer generated.

golem

jett said:
Pretty unimpressive.

Holy crap, is the first pic from Forza 1? It looks like almost the same model.
the first model is actually more accurate (widebody sideskirts). no idea whats going on if these shots are legit.

RaijinFY

monkeymagic said:
Doesn't look too bad.

Obviously, the've had to make some compromises graphically over Forza to get it at 60FPS.

It's still uncanny how they can't get the natural lighting right though - shots still look computer generated.

uh what? Was that a steath troll? :lol :lol :lol

Well I guess this is what happens when Developers refuse to post screenshots of the game and only show the community CG render trailers.

If we have no frame of reference then there is no way to know if these are real or fake. Its only the Devs fault for holding off so long... lets hope these screens aren't what they thought would blow us away.

gtmax

Wow, that looks horrible for an x360 game. If you said it's Forza 2 on xbox1 then i'd believe it. Even if they're early screens it doesn't look next gen at all.

Che's silence can only confirm that these are real screens. really bad ones.

R0nn

DopeyFish said:
could it be possible they're a little older? I know how it is with PR and releasing screens from older builds, so i just thought this could be the case

"This has also been an important week for the graphics and systems devs in getting much better numbers out of game performance. Framerates are hopscotching at regular intervals toward the magical number of 60, while more and more post-effects are turned on in the graphics department. Animating 3D crowds, animated 3D grass, and high dyynamic-range lighting are just a few of the elements that have recently been activated in the game..."

3d grass damnit! that was from the august 19th update

And both 3D grass as well as HDR lighting are sorely missing on these shots. If both were present, the game would immediatly look quite a bit better I'd think. I mean, the grass on the current shots seems to be just a totally flat texture and really low res at that. It's not blurred in any way. The backgrounds, those are blurred alright, but not the grass. The car models themselves are quite ok, they just needs much more and better lighting to make them look more like real cars. As it is now, these cars look like 3DSMAX models simply pasted onto some blurry screen of a racingtrack. At least, that's what it basically looks like to me. Same goes for the HUD. It looks pasted on.

Or, you could also say that these look like high-res GT4/Forza 1 in high resolution and with AA, but without any 'next-gen effects'. In short, I'm kinda dissapointed with this. I'm looking forward to this game, so I really hope that it will turn out well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the trolls in this thread are quite sad :lol

looks like this is going to be like forza all over again

bash after bash after bash

and then !!! the game is incredible

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
f_elz said:
if this was GT5 people would be fapping over them.
no. id be dissapointed if this was GT5.
polyphonic's lighting in gt4 is simply amazing, id be sad if they downgraded their lighting for higher polycounts.

DopeyFish said:

I think the criticism of the shots is justified...they just look bland. But in context, it could just be from an early build. They certainly don't look better than PGR3.

Bebpo

Banned
DopeyFish said:

The pictures look awful. There is no spinning this. As people have said, the Forza 1 vs. 2 picture makes it look like the car models are near IDENTICAL and the roads are low-res and empty. The pics look like an XBOX1 game, which is totally unacceptable.

****, GT:HD which is just GT4 scaled looks better than these pics.

Bad_Boy said:
no. id be dissapointed if this was GT5.
polyphonic's lighting in gt4 is simply amazing, id be sad if they downgraded their lighting for higher polycounts.

WTF are you talking about? Lighting in GT anything has all been pre-baked! :lol

Gek54

m0dus said:
No dude. I'm saying someone quite possibly took a pic using the photomode feature with a HUD on. applying blur to add the 'sense of speed' that is otherwise not conveyed in a print-mag screenshot.

But hey, going apeshit at this point would be brilliant. Makes for an awesome thread, at least.

Photomode with the HUD, Ive never heard of that but if you say so.

R0nn

f_elz said:
if this was GT5 people would be fapping over them.

Can't speak for everyone here, but I'm just disappointed and would be just as disappointed if these were shots from GT5. I'm craving for a good racing sim fix on consoles by the end of this year, and so far it's Forza 2 that has the potential to cater to this need. Shots like these don't spell very good though, but I'm still sceptical that these are real, or at least from a recent build. Here's hoping that the final product will be more like what was shown up till now in trailers.

Jim

I'm mostly surprised that:

#1) No commercial sites I have seen, had them yet
#2) Microsoft hasn't called/emailed asking to be pulled down
#3) These are on no Microsoft/Xbox press site that I have seen

So I'm guessing they were leaked... maybe on purpose.
Hiro_Kunimi_80 posted them and then suddenly disappeared without even commenting on them. A little suspicious if you ask me. :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oh GAF. We should be beginning to learn that some things need to be appreciated in motion (aka, all games now, really), and some things don't translate very well to screenshots. Now, I'm not saying it's suddenly going to look like God's gift in motion, or that some aspects can't be judged from a shot, but really, let's wait for some video. I wanna see cars getting smashed up.

Faizal

Banned
The car models themselves are quite ok, they just needs much more and better lighting to make them look more like real cars.

I don't see ANY sort of lighting effect in those pics at all. Can't believe that this is anything close to what the final game would look like...

****, GT:HD which is just GT4 scaled looks better than these pics.

That's what I wanted to say too, but I was afraid of being accused of trolling....

gofreak said:
Oh GAF. We should be beginning to learn that some things need to be appreciated in motion (aka, all games now, really), and some things don't translate very well to screenshots. Now, I'm not saying it's suddenly going to look like God's gift in motion, or that some aspects can't be judged from a shot, but really, let's wait for some video. I wanna see cars getting smashed up.

I can agree with this statement. If this game looks a lot better in motion, who cares what the screenshots look like?

Top Bottom