• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Gek54 said:
So....Q1 2007?

TURN THAT F'N BLUR OFF, IT DESTROYS THE MAJORITY OF THE BENEFITS OF 60FPS, JUST SCRAP IT YOU STUPID PEICES OF JUNK, I CANT BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO YOURSELVES, OK ITS LIKE TURN10 IS A SONY DEV, CG AFTER CG AFTER CG AND THEN ASSSMEARED DOWNGRADED SCREENS, WHERES THE GOOD NEWS!?!?!?!?! AAAAAAAHH!!!

:lol

Jacobi

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
60 fps with real-time damage, online play with 12 or more cars, and ultra cool tracks. Sounds wonderful! These screens mean nothing to me. When I see the FINAL game in motion for the first time, then I will pass judgement. Until then, give it a rest and go play some ****ing games! Sheesh!
LOL then end your account here !

GAF isn't about games darn it !

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Warm Machine said:
I don't get this no blur thing. Cameras have motion blur as do the human eye. What is the problem if it is handled right?

personal taste?

that, and it definitely looks excessive in these screens

gsnyder

Because:

a) This is the Internet
b) Tastes Differ
c) This is the Internet
d) Both a) and c)

Take your pick!

I have no problem with bloom / motion blur / depth of field when it's applied tastefully, and judging still shots of said effects is just as stupid as marketing guys who make screenshots of said effects when they look like crap 'not in motion'.

-G

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So this looks like it's going to be Forza HD for X360. Hehehe.

Now I don't feel half as bad about GTHD being an actual game. =P

Man, how sad when the next-gen comes and I'm not excited about a single racing game.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
AlphaSnake said:
So this looks like it's going to be Forza HD for X360. Hehehe.

Now I don't feel half as bad about GTHD being an actual game. =P

Man, how sad when the next-gen comes and I'm not excited about a single racing game.

:lol stealth troll ftw. And way to jump the gun.

Gek54

Warm Machine said:
I don't get this no blur thing. Cameras have motion blur as do the human eye. What is the problem if it is handled right?

1. You dont drive looking through a lcd camera view finder, camera effects kill the immersive feeling of actually being there. Its great if you want to feel like you are controling a movie, bad for a truer sense of reality.

2. Human eye doesnt need help bluring fast moving images, it does a great job all by itself. Motion blur created by the game is synthetic and only serves to exagerate a sense of speed if the game is already running at 60fps, not only that but by smearing the image you lose the extra visual fideletey that 60fps allows.

3. If you want to make an over the top 2 fast 2 furuios arcade racer then peripheral blur is cool, this full screen blur in a racing game, especially a simulation racer is total crap. I just love not being able to clearly make out what is 500 feet in front of me until I am driving in a straight line becuase the game decides my eyes are stuck to the center of the screen unable to track objects as they move across.

Sander

Terribly underwhelming, I really hope these are old.

This has probably been mentioned, but the blur in the first pic looks more like DOF than motion blur. And using DOF would be a disaster (well for me at least, it makes NO sense using it during gameplay).

Gek54

Fullscreen motion Blur assumes you are a certain distance from the action and your focus of attention is at a single point on the screen like a stationary video camera, becuase of this any time you deviate from this assumed position by not sitting the right distance from the TV relative to its size or you try to track images as they move accross the screen, blur becomes entirely unrealistic. I understand 60fps on a 2D screen doesnt create a perfect sense of reality but adding synthetic blur to a 2D screen only makes it worse.

i'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but the comparison shots of the same car in Forza and Forza 2 make me think that these shots are using the old textures.

Now obviously I don't know if the final game will or won't... it's just an observation.

any how, i want to see screenshots of damage and paint being rubbed off and such. they put all that effort into making the cars take on damage, which takes away from how nice they can make a pristine car look... and we're looking at shots of pristine cars.

does anyone recognise this track?

Last Hope

The fact that no one denying it is scary. The pit report or whatever it is called said that screens will be released on Tuesday. The scary part is that maybe the screens have already been passed around to all the big sites and what we are seeing is screens that someone leaked.

The textures look terrible, the draw distance is only like 20ft and the blur is just outrageous. If these are real, I will be really disappointed even if the game does run at 60fps (and believe me if a game runs at 60fps, it is really hard for me to say anything bad about it).

I remember Che saying the the blur will be "subtle" unlike the over excessive shit that ruined PGR3. If these pictures are real, this game will be yet another racer that was ruined by terrible game design.

Last Hope said:
The fact that no one denying it is scary.

Terrifying. I'm really not looking forward to playing the game, which seeing these screenshots, I'm assuming will involve a person standing in front of my television cycling through these three stills over and over again.

Unless, you know, it's a game that functions in motion ON my television and these screenshots tell me dick about what kind of experience that's going to be.

Anyone know which one the final game will be? If it involves the first one, that's going to be very expensive. Can I at least get it bundled with the steering wheel? And do I have to like put this guy up in my house? Does he provide his own food? If we don't have room for him, do I have to pay for the hotel?

GAH, I HATE the changes they've made to Forza 2!!

plagiarize said:
i'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but the comparison shots of the same car in Forza and Forza 2 make me think that these shots are using the old textures.

Now obviously I don't know if the final game will or won't... it's just an observation.

any how, i want to see screenshots of damage and paint being rubbed off and such. they put all that effort into making the cars take on damage, which takes away from how nice they can make a pristine car look... and we're looking at shots of pristine cars.

does anyone recognise this track?

I think you're on to something.

Dante

Just yesterday you were going on about how great RR7 looks.

But RR7 looks great, as does RR6. I'd venture to say they both look better then this.

You think anyone who has clicked on your post history takes your opinion seriously?

Pot meet kettle. I don't mind being called a fanboy, but maybe it's time to look in the mirror? :)

Fredrik

Don't worry, 60fps racers usually look bad in still pictures compared to 30fps racers unless something is terribly wrong, but they always shine when you see them run at 60fps on your own TV, and so will Forza 2. And about the motion blur, we don't know yet if they'll add a slider for it like in the TDU demo.

Vrolokus

Banned
While the fact that these few pictures can result in so much drama here is a little sad... I feel like The Forza crew has more or less made its bed and now has to lie in it.

It's the Sony effect: when you blow smoke up people's asses for months about how your game is going to pwn, then show a bunch of CG movies, people are going to really, really going to be going over your in-game screenshots with a fine tooth comb when they finally come.

We've seen in-game footage of Mass Effect, we've even seen the in-game engine for Halo 3... yet for some weird reason they felt the need to play these weird PR games with Forza. I don't get it.

plagiarize said:

They've got to be using Forza Xbox 1 assets in the build from where these screens were taken from, especially for the cars; those ‘replay view’ cars look terrible for a next gen game.

Tieno

Vrolokus said:
While the fact that these few pictures can result in so much drama here is a little sad... I feel like The Forza crew has more or less made its bed and now has to lie in it.

It's the Sony effect: when you blow smoke up people's asses for months about how your game is going to pwn, then show a bunch of CG movies, people are going to really, really going to be going over your in-game screenshots with a fine tooth comb when they finally come.

We've seen in-game footage of Mass Effect, we've even seen the in-game engine for Halo 3... yet for some weird reason they felt the need to play these weird PR games with Forza. I don't get it.
Yep, it's not unexpected. If you show CG or target footage and claim it'll look like that ingame or pass it off as ingame then it's not wrong to expect it. In a way, I think it's good that there's this backlash so companies are more hesitant to do this. You raise expectations and if you can't back it up, it'll bite you in the ass.
But still lets wait till actual ingame footage or the upcoming screenshots

Bebpo

Banned
RE: Motion blur being realistic

5d63d47474f57ea87d420c179fb4088a.jpg

Is this how the world looks to you as you are driving at 81 MPH?

If so, you need glasses or to be put in a mental hospital

Flo_Evans

Gek54 said:
Fullscreen motion Blur assumes you are a certain distance from the action and your focus of attention is at a single point on the screen like a stationary video camera, becuase of this any time you deviate from this assumed position by not sitting the right distance from the TV relative to its size or you try to track images as they move accross the screen, blur becomes entirely unrealistic. I understand 60fps on a 2D screen doesnt create a perfect sense of reality but adding synthetic blur to a 2D screen only makes it worse.

QTF!

Gek if I wasn't already subscribed to your newsletter I would sign up again. Hell send me two copies and I will pass out flyers. THE BLUR MUST BE CONTROLED! Its like the hyper exaggerated bump mapping and lens flares of early last gen. WE CAN ****ING SEE IT YOU ASSHOLES! You don't need to simulate ISO 25 film in your screenshots - or gameplay.

SpinalTap_Edith_503.jpg

"you see here? this blur goes to 11! 11 is higher than 10! so its more blury!"

Bebpo said:

Yeah if I am reeeeeaalllllyyy high! :lol

Bebpo said:
RE: Motion blur being realistic

If so, you need glasses or to be put in a mental hospital

depth of field gone mad?

it's BLURRY sure, but it doesn't look much like motion blur to me. just a blurry mess.

sangreal

the graphics are one thing, but the screenshots are just uninteresting. I hope the official shots are more 'powerful'

Core407

Banned
Insertia said:
Doesn't look as good as I expected. It has to be early because it's extremely undetailed and the lighting sucks.

I don't think they've applied any of the effects on yet.

Top Bottom