• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Devildoll

It's been too long. Let's get the band back together again. Who's up for some racing this Sunday at 2pm EST? Just fun racing with the old crew and to talk shit. Mostly talk shit. Haven't seen some of you guys online in a long time. Where are you Devildoll? We need to see more 900hp cars. I'll send out a message over live as well in case any one misses this post here.

Did someone say horsepower?

Yeah I'm definitely down for some racing with you guys this sunday!
Glad to see you guys are still here.

SPCTRE

I got this game back in January (played every FM before since the second game).

Definitely enjoying it a lot more than most reviewers and faux-racing against people from my friends list is actually pretty cool.

One thing I totally didn't expect is still baffling me, though... Forza Rewards kinda ruined that game's economy for me right from the get-go. I think I got close to 3.5 million credits right after I first logged back into the Rewards site, more than enough to buy the most expensive cars available in the game. I mean, holy shit. o_O

It's not like I'm only playing Forza (or Gran Turismo, for that matter) only for the sake of progression, but I definitely like to be able to aspire to something. I appreciate that they want to reward me for my continued faith in the franchise, but 3.5 million credits? 350k would have been perfectly fine, guys.

I got this game back in January (played every FM before since the second game).

Definitely enjoying it a lot more than most reviewers and faux-racing against people from my friends list is actually pretty cool.

One thing I totally didn't expect is still baffling me, though... Forza Rewards kinda ruined that game's economy for me right from the get-go. I think I got close to 3.5 million credits right after I first logged back into the Rewards site, more than enough to buy the most expensive cars available in the game. I mean, holy shit. o_O

It's not like I'm only playing Forza (or Gran Turismo, for that matter) only for the sake of progression, but I definitely like to be able to aspire to something. I appreciate that they want to reward me for my continued faith in the franchise, but 3.5 million credits? 350k would have been perfectly fine, guys.

Yep I kind of wish I could opt out of the new economy. I play at a high difficulty with all assist off and I'm sitting on 20mil+ and have purchased all the cars I had interest in. It made the game to easy for people who play above potato difficulty.

p3tran

Banned
r1FeYRp.gif

booted it up to see if any kind of update, ended spending 2 hours having fun.
such a great game, I think its time we start hearing things about VI

Lamneth

Banned
I have been playing this game for a few weeks now and I have come to the conclusion that it's very good, albeit flawed. It improved some things from Forza 4 that I wanted but also took away many things I loved about that game. I do feel the lack of endurance races and repetitive career structure made the game have a shorter lasting impression on me but at it's core it's still a Forza game, and that's always a good thing.

Things I like:
Perfect 60fps like we've come to expect
Rumble Triggers
Painting wheels white (finally) and colour stock wheels
Overcast lighting looks jaw-dropping
AI are actually fast on higher difficulties now
Classic F1 cars
Free track DLC
Laser scanned Nurburgring
Open wheel
1080p
Even better audio than 4, truly excellent
Forzavista (maybe not worth the time they spent on this)
Track ambience is improved over 4

Things I don't like:
No endurance races
Only slightly pushing the brakes results in ABS lock (fixed in FH2)
Car roster (good variation but lacking in choice)
Steering arm animation still locked at very low degrees
Load times still too long
No weather/night
AI bash into you without a second thought (I like aggressive AI but this is too far)
Still no qualifying/flag/pit strategy
Too wide FoV in car
Boring American lady replacing British man in menu's
No storefront
Can't select which cars AI use online any more

This game a year and a half later is very good. Is it better than its predecessor? No, but not a lot is. For a launch game it's excellent, I just wish it wasn't a one. Please tell me if I made any mistakes in the list as I would love it if I was wrong, especially the choosing AI cars one.

Fox Mulder

I hate the boring music and buying cars or getting dlc cars is a god awful clunky mess.

I agree with the list though. I applaud T10 for making the hard choice of cutting assets to bring everything up to a new standard. It was still a fine launch game and ended up with free tracks and good dlc. F6 will be better for it.

hardvibes

I hate the boring music
I just got the xbox one and FM5. What I heard is the worst soundtrack in the history of gaming. Who composed that shit? Commodore 64's music was more entertaining.
I also hate the button to buy boosts, tokens or whatever, in every pre-race screen. It's so irritating, makes me feel like I paid for a freaking smartphone game with in-app purchases.

But yeah I like the AI, rumble triggers and 60 fps.

Klocker

I just got the xbox one and FM5. What I heard is the worst soundtrack in the history of gaming. Who composed that shit? Commodore 64's music was more entertaining.
I also hate the button to buy boosts, tokens or whatever, in every pre-race screen. It's so irritating, makes me feel like I paid for a freaking smartphone game with in-app purchases.

But yeah I like the AI, rumble triggers and 60 fps.

I cant remember where but yea you can disable the token button prompts.

Also I was one of the few who enjoyed the music. It is actually supposed to be a live mood track. trying to meet the drama of the moment. But yea, it got a lot of hate from many.

It was still done by Lance Hayes who is a friggin magician on the other Forzas. I own soundtrack from 3/4.

hardvibes

I cant remember where but yea you can disable the token button prompts.
Thanks I'll check the option to disable it.

Also I was one of the few who enjoyed the music. It is actually supposed to be a live mood track. trying to meet the drama of the moment. But yea, it got a lot of hate from many.

It was still done by Lance Hayes who is a friggin magician on the other Forzas. I own soundtrack from 3/4.

I can't believe it's the same guy.......

Grassy

I've just recently started getting back into this game, I thought I'd try and get all the gold trophies before Forza 6 arrives. I still have ~300 left....so roughly another 25+ hours of racing, and that's without me piss-farting around trying to use a different car for every race, messing around and tuning....fun.

Then after that's done I want to go back to every track, in every class, and post my fastest lap times. So sick of seeing that p3tran is 5 seconds faster than me after I think I've posted a shit-hot lap :p

p3tran

Banned

Hayes is great, and the music seemed very appropriate for what it was, a day1 flagship game on a brand new console.
but after 100-200-500 hours, I mean I'd like the soundtrack to be more in the lines of
...this video I made before console/game was released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaukRfvP4Fw

So sick of seeing that p3tran is 5 seconds faster than me after I think I've posted a shit-hot lap :p
hey, it goes like this for me too. I have some very fast friends on the leaderboards, and the only way to reach/beat them is to take specific cars for specific tracks/classes, a thing which I dont do.
so, yeah, just like the rule in real life, <<there is always someone faster>>, but that doesnt mean you aint fast :)

and by thway guys,
I AM SO FUCKIN' PUMPED FOR FORZA 6!
could very well be my goty

Bobnob

For anybody thats interested and running in the qualification period for the forza inv @long beach in the Dallara, i have shared the #9 No 1 tune i made. Gt: L DIXON L , the positions it holds what i know of, as of this post are 1st, 2nd,3rd,5th,6th(me) and 7th. Good luck and pls like if you download.

Grassy

hey, it goes like this for me too. I have some very fast friends on the leaderboards, and the only way to reach/beat them is to take specific cars for specific tracks/classes, a thing which I dont do.
so, yeah, just like the rule in real life, <<there is always someone faster>>, but that doesnt mean you aint fast :)

Haha yeah I know, I always end up in the top 1-2% when I pull off a good lap but sometimes I'll still be 10+ seconds off the top of the leaderboard. When you look, sure enough on the leaderboards all the top people have the same car...meh.

I try and pick a different car for each race, and tune it myself. There are so many cars so it's as good way to use most of them. Although last night I took my trusty S800 Ferrari F50 to Yas Marina and I was under a second off your lap time, and I made some mistakes... :)

Definitely my most anticipated game now is Forza 6, although as a backer of Project Cars I think that(along with The Witcher 3) will help keep me busy until October at least.

p3tran

Banned
For anybody thats interested and running in the qualification period for the forza inv @long beach in the Dallara, i have shared the #9 No 1 tune i made. Gt: L DIXON L , the positions it holds what i know of, as of this post are 1st, 2nd,3rd,5th,6th(me) and 7th. Good luck and pls like if you download.
god damn dixon! you got 9 no1 tunes and still not enough likes?
I hope you want the likes for something else than the tuning achievement, else something is broken in the community :D
I'll try your car later tonight. but reaching no6 , dunno about that :)

Definitely my most anticipated game now is Forza 6, although as a backer of Project Cars I think that(along with The Witcher 3) will help keep me busy until October at least.
there are lots of great games coming till the end of the year, and pcars in a few days is very sweet too.
for next forza, what I count is the number of hours/enjoyment spent on the previous games, so it kind of naturally rises in my wanted games list top. but you are very correct, starting with witcher and pcars, quite many interesting games are to drop till end of year.
good times!

Bobnob

god damn dixon! you got 9 no1 tunes and still not enough likes?
I hope you want the likes for something else than the tuning achievement, else something is broken in the community :D
I'll try your car later tonight. but reaching no6 , dunno about that :)

You can do it! :) Its the no 9 Dallara mate, Bam Asix just ran first with it, its got 8 positions in the top 10 now lol

p3tran

Banned
You can do it! :) Its the no 9 Dallara mate, Bam Asix just ran first with it, its got 8 positions in the top 10 now lol

yes, I just tried it, I wanted to break 1:10, and five laps in I got to 1:09:x , #60 on the leaderboard. (I stopped now to watch the starwars live celeb thing)
good job on the car!
you are 1:08 flat and top time is 1:07:x
very easy to gain a second (from where I am), as these indycars break and turn much differently that ..regular cars, I havent spent much time driving them outside of the classic oval

bad news is, game hasn't asked me yet to "like" your setup lololol :p

Bobnob

yes, I just tried it, I wanted to break 1:10, and five laps in I got to 1:09:x , #60 on the leaderboard. (I stopped now to watch the starwars live celeb thing)
good job on the car!
you are 1:08 flat and top time is 1:07:x
very easy to gain a second (from where I am), as these indycars break and turn much differently that ..regular cars, I havent spent much time driving them outside of the classic oval

bad news is, game hasn't asked me yet to "like" your setup lololol :p
hehe! you've done well! especially since i know these cars aint usually your forte.Bam is really good plus he spent 3 days getting that time, anything below a 1.10 is brilliant time so good stuff pal.

Fox Mulder

Probably too late for the core f6 game right?

I'd take another Porsche dlc pack. Is EA even making NFS games anymore with the license.

G Rom

I really hope that we'll see Porsche back, hopefully from the start so that they don't have to restrain themselves in terms of numbers... 30 just wasn't enough in the PEP, even if they hadn't put duplicate.

Forzavista still looks incredible, here are some screenshots I've taken recently :
mobile.181oaacz.jpg

mobile.182ifprq.jpg

mobile.183wqs2c.jpg

mobile.1845ss72.jpg

mobile.185tku76.jpg

FM6 is by far my most anticipated game as well, I can't wait to see what Turn 10 has been cooking for the past year and a half !

p3tran

Banned
KwLy4q7.gif

After I re-setup wheel and everything for another game, I find myself putting time in FM5. all sim settings for wheel, no driving aids and game is just so fresh.
Forza may have the best control system in the world for joypad, but with the wheel no assists its almost another thing.
Using OEM cars and pushing them to the limits is something I can do and enjoy for hours it seems.

I really hope F6 has leaderboards and structure to hold oem (stock) car times.
and even listings (boards) per car per class. worst case scenario make these boards local if cloud cannot handle the data :p
Plus I want delta lap times, segments timing, and telemetry info on online races (where my opponents are, in meters and in time) to come back.

DO IT DAN!

edit:
also, about Porsche license etc...
If EA continues its thing with the license, other than RUF, and the Magnus dude listed above, there is also the RWB dude.
Maybe there are more. I hope that for F6, t10 -if they have not solved the EA denial problem- have scouted the world for businesses that make proprietary cars based on porsches. and include them ALL!

flashmouth

Neo Member
It's quiet, although E3 is right around the corner - you guys wanna talk some FM6?

What do you want to see in it, what must be added, what improvements must be made from FM5?
Looking back, FM5 was my least played of the series, there were just so many little annoying things that turned me off about it. Many of them were tied to the lack of content on release day and cut features that I got used to over the years (e.g. auction house). Now I know where most of that was coming from, they have to have a DLC program, were tied on schedule and all that, but the career was just boring and the ingame currency system was a real problem at release (they shortly after tried to fix it with rewardz, still think it was also related to the short content). Every time I booted it up again I was always amazed by the physics engine, that was ( and still is) just superb, especially out of the box with the XBO controller. I thought graphics were ok, although it didn't look like the reveal, but it was there from the start of the gen and featured rocksolid 1080/60fps. And the sound, oh yeah, amazing detail.

In FM6, I wanna see:
- more tracks, bring back some legacy ones
- restructure the career, less 3 rounds races
- refine drivatars
- better balacing of credits, less grinding
- of course I would love if the did a pCars and had dynamic weather and time of day, but I doubt they'll sacrifice that over performance and I'm fine with it. just hoping for some alternate prebaked time of day and/or weather effects
- suprise me, maybe some point-to-point tracks

Now gimme dat crazy reveal trailer, can't remember how often I watched the FM5 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6lyUbBdWM&hd=1

Mascot

It's quiet, although E3 is right around the corner - you guys wanna talk some FM6?

What do you want to see in it, what must be added, what improvements must be made from FM5?
Looking back, FM5 was my least played of the series, there were just so many little annoying things that turned me off about it. Many of them were tied to the lack of content on release day and cut features that I got used to over the years (e.g. auction house). Now I know where most of that was coming from, they have to have a DLC program, were tied on schedule and all that, but the career was just boring and the ingame currency system was a real problem at release (they shortly after tried to fix it with rewardz, still think it was also related to the short content). Every time I booted it up again I was always amazed by the physics engine, that was ( and still is) just superb, especially out of the box with the XBO controller. I thought graphics were ok, although it didn't look like the reveal, but it was there from the start of the gen and featured rocksolid 1080/60fps. And the sound, oh yeah, amazing detail.

In FM6, I wanna see:
- more tracks, bring back some legacy ones
- restructure the career, less 3 rounds races
- refine drivatars
- better balacing of credits, less grinding
- of course I would love if the did a pCars and had dynamic weather and time of day, but I doubt they'll sacrifice that over performance and I'm fine with it. just hoping for some alternate prebaked time of day and/or weather effects
- suprise me, maybe some point-to-point tracks

I think Forza Motorsport has lost me forever. I'd need to buy a Bone AND a wheel to play FM6, and pCARS is already the game I was praying FM would morph in to but never did. I'm excited to see what FM6 has to offer and whether there's a change in direction but, like the FM5 reveal from 2013, I'll be watching with detached interest as a bystander rather than a participant.

ShamePain

Banned
The basic demands have been roughly the same for the last 10 years:
-More tracks
-More cars
-ToD/Weather
-Ability to have longer races in career

Everything else is icing on the cake for me.

Haven't been able to keep up for a while, still nothing on F6?

Other than a blurb saying Microsoft had filed a trademark application for ForzaTech, nope:

"We can confirm that Microsoft has filed a trademark application for ForzaTech, which is Turn 10 Studios' proprietary graphics and simulation engine for Forza," a Microsoft representative told GameSpot. "We'll have more to share at E3."

As for the game itself, my expectations are measured. Forget what the other guys are doing; let's start with getting back all the content that was lost in the transition from FM4 to next-gen. If nothing else, though, the inclusion of Magnus Walker's 911 tells me that the car roster is sorted.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think Forza Motorsport has lost me forever. I'd need to buy a Bone AND a wheel to play FM6, and pCARS is already the game I was praying FM would morph in to but never did. I'm excited to see what FM6 has to offer and whether there's a change in direction but, like the FM5 reveal from 2013, I'll be watching with detached interest as a bystander rather than a participant.
I've still got my fingers crossed that the few rumors of Forza heading to PC turn out true. Not getting my hopes up too much, obviously. I miss all the customization.

Fox Mulder

I've still got my fingers crossed that the few rumors of Forza heading to PC turn out true. Not getting my hopes up too much, obviously. I miss all the customization.

I bought a xb1 because only because of exclusives like forza. Putting those on PC would be very disappointing since I could have bought a ps4 instead.

flashmouth

Neo Member
"Forzatech", that went by myself somehow. This is just too perfect of a buzzword for hypnotized Dannyboy to switch into on stage PR-mode and tell us all about how the shadow of a seagull at Amalfi Coast effects the temperature and feedback of the different road textures - only on Xbox One. I take everything back, time of day, dynamic weather, pit stops, fuel amounts, endurance races, tournaments, auctions, prize cars, it's all in there.
MS conference will be glorious.

Top Bottom