• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Azzawon

Glad the Lotus E23 is in. It's one of the nicer looking cars on the F1 grid this year. The BAC Mono should be fun to drive too!
Iqw1gLB.jpg

1df235bc65921ad8ead5bc6320.jpeg

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I dont get why people feel so let down by this.

Water naturally collects at the lowest point.....so if it rains the water will go to the lowest point and pool up, the size is determined by how much water is fallng vs how much is draining wherever.

If all things remain equal logically the puddle will be in the same place and the same size.

Unless you want tracks that migically dynamically change their lowest points and ability to drain?

its such an odd thing to be dissappointed in because thats how life is, i used to drive past the same puddles all the time, i never once complained and thought ohhh damn, the stupid puddle is in the same place again....i wish it was dynamic and would find some other spot to chill out.

This is the first thing that came to my mind and yes you are right but what I meant was the size and look of the puddle could certainly change depending on how much it rained. May be on first lap its small, then gets bigger and bigger, if a car in front of you drove over it, water gets out and puddle gets smaller. Thats what I meant by dynamic. Exactly same looking puddle from start to finish just seems off.

_machine

That's really disappointing, it killed the visual quality of F5.
It did seem better than F5 though, but since for the controller booths you were right next to the monitor it was easy to notice some specular aliasing, but it's still better than most of this generation's games, especially XBO (apart from Ryse it was probably some of the best IQ for console).

MouldyK

To clarify, do you mean "more like FM4 length-wise", or "more like 4 laps length-wise"..?

I assume you mean four laps?

Is that confirmed? If so, that's good news. I can't deal with stupid 2 lap races anymore.

Does this satisfy you peeps?

So, I just walked by Dan and asked him, it's much more like it was in FM4, during the first 15 minutes you get short races of about 3 minutes, but it gets longer and longer and can reach up to one hour.

There's also endurance in Showcases events up to two hours or so.

Mods cannot make races longer or shorter.

OrangeOak

I would like to have an option to set up number of laps just like in other games.
That Team VVV video doesn't sound too optimistic either. It's a shame that all that amazing visuals, car selection and other improvements and additions will be (maybe) hampered by lack of grip and few little details like qualifying that could make this game really great.

Mascot

I seem to remember there being an awful lot of short races in FM4's career, 2-3 laps. Mind you, I had to do a lot of them three times because my game save corrupted twice, so maybe it just seemed like a lot.

Helios, if you're still around (and we know you are), why isn't career race length in FM customisable? It is for technical reasons like balancing the performance of the AI, or purely by design? It's a much-requested feature that gets ignored with every new version.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I would like to have an option to set up number of laps just like in other games.
That Team VVV video doesn't sound too optimistic either. It's a shame that all that amazing visuals, car selection and other improvements and additions will be (maybe) hampered by lack of grip and few little details like qualifying that could make this game really great.

Uh, it's one lap races, of course there is a lack of grip.

A Huracan with stock cold tires is not going to have a endless supply of grip.

This is completely ignoring that you're using supercars without assists that actually use assists in real life to maintain their stability.

If you're going to drive with no assists and cold stock tires it is only natural that grip is going to be on the bad side.

Mascot

Hope we'll see a demo some time between next week and 1st of September, don't they usually drop 2-4 weeks before a Forza release?

I think there's been a demo for FM 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, but has a pre-release demo for FM6 actually been confirmed? Wasn't there some doubt because it could take the gloss off the LE early access?

Lug Nuts

Banned
Uh, it's one lap races, of course there is a lack of grip.

A Huracan with stock cold tires is not going to have a endless supply of grip.

This is completely ignoring that you're using supercars without assists that actually use assists in real life to maintain their stability.

If you're going to drive with no assists and cold stock tires it is only natural that grip is going to be on the bad side.

Have you played it at all? Care to comment on the counter steer delay?

Well iirc Alan likened it to Forza 4 and 5. I'm sure we've all played those.

I don't really disagree with him though, there's something a little off there. I've started using TCS on some modern supercars, it often does transform them into something drivable. Whoever suggested Forza should have a per car, real driving aids setting is bang on.

Well iirc Alan likened it to Forza 4 and 5. I'm sure we've all played those.

I don't really disagree with him though, there's something a little off there. I've started using TCS on some modern supercars, it often does transform them into something drivable. Whoever suggested Forza should have a per car, real driving aids setting is bang on.

Basically, this.

Electronic driving aids are so essential to the performance of many modern cars that I'm not surprised to see them slide around as much as they do when you run with no assists. The basic TCS and STM options in Forza certainly help, but the lack of proper torque-vectoring, brake-steering and other systems is a bigger obstacle to matching the real-world performance of some cars than is the amount of grip available with the game's road tires, which feels more or less appropriate to me.

Racing slicks, though, seem to offer progressively less grip with each installment after FM2/3, and my lap times have gone up in every game as a result of not being able to carry as much corner speed. If nothing else, pCARS flatters my ego more in terms of its ability to match real-world lap times, something that for the life of me I cannot do in FM5.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Basically, this.

Electronic driving aids are so essential to the performance of many modern cars that I'm not surprised to see them slide around as much as they do when you run with no assists. The basic TCS and STM options in Forza certainly help, but the lack of proper torque-vectoring, brake-steering and other systems is a bigger obstacle to matching the real-world performance of some cars than is the amount of grip available with the game's road tires, which feels more or less appropriate to me.

Racing slicks, though, seem to offer progressively less grip with each installment after FM2/3, and my lap times have gone up in every game as a result of not being able to carry as much corner speed. If nothing else, pCARS flatters my ego more in terms of its ability to match real-world lap times, something that for the life of me I cannot do in FM5.

Game times should always be faster than real times, a community can drive millions of laps on a track competing for the record with no risk of actual harm.

This is what a road legal track car looks like with cold tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp9d-HhblD0

OrangeOak

No I haven't played it but I do have a bit of common sense and own and play Forza 5 with a wheel.

But Forza 5 with the wheel don't have too much grip even on hot tires. There is no way to push car out of the corner or enter corner aggressively. You need to be constantly extremely delicate with throttle and wheel movement. Car recovery is also almost impossible in most cases.
From that Team VVV video and from what he is saying it's not much better now.
Of course I won't be sure until I play demo or listen to somebody that played some more than couple laps but for now it doesn't look like some big improvement.

Well it is certainly a lot cleaner than F5 which is mainly cause they have some type of AA this time.
I hope so. Forza 5's aliasing is a definite knock against it. That and the long transitions and load times. Both are places I hope to see some solid improvement in F6.

FordGTGuy

Banned
But Forza 5 with the wheel don't have too much grip even on hot tires. There is no way to push car out of the corner or enter corner aggressively. You need to be constantly extremely delicate with throttle and wheel movement. Car recovery is also almost impossible in most cases.
From that Team VVV video and from what he is saying it's not much better now.
Of course I won't be sure until I play demo or listen to somebody that played some more than couple laps but for now it doesn't look like some big improvement.

Except that isn't true, it's not easy but it also isn't impossible.

Hawk269

This is how it has always been with Forza Motorsport series. Some great improvements from one game to the next, but still falling short from making a true racing sim. It is one series that I always look forward to every 2 years and one that I buy on day one and enjoy immensely, but there usually is always something that falls flat for me.

Qualifying, Race Set up for length etc, On-Line time compression so that you can make a 10 lap race that makes you tire wear and fuel something to consider within those 10 laps and finally functional pit stops. For Pit Stops, it has progressively gotten worse with each title, the original game had the best of the series and has gone down hill.

Still love the series and still will buy the series, but wish they would really go for the full on with the features and ability for users to change things like mentioned above.

GHG

Tires should not be cold at the start of a race. That's plain stupidity.

At the start if practice/qualifying when you are just coming out of the pits, yeh absolutely.

But at the start of a 2-4 lap race where you start at the back of the grid? That's not cool.

Grassy

Actually I don't think there was a demo for 1(maybe a Xbox magazine disc, but post release), and there was no demo for 2 either. Only 3 & 4 (horizon 1&2) had demos.

There was a demo for Forza 2 on Xbox Live. It was on Mugello short circuit and had the Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT etc. I put a fair few hours into it.

Not a huge fan of that achievement list... so much MP, and some will be damn hard (win within 1 second, win after starting last in 24 car race, etc)

There was a demo for Forza 2 on Xbox Live. It was on Mugello short circuit and had the Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT etc. I put a fair few hours into it.

Was it pre release? I know I would have downloaded it if it was.

edit: Hmmm apparently it came out 2 weeks pre release. How did I moss that, I download almost every demo back in the day. The only memory I have of FM2 is buying it launch day.

erale

I have been using a wheel for years on Forza 5 for years and don't have these issues. I use simulation steering with all assist off.

The FFB scaling is totally messed up in Forza 5. And with sim steering it's hyper sensitive to steering. It's playable with normal steering, but still there are MILES between Forza 5 and a proper FFB implementation like AC on the PC.

I've never driving one single car in my life that wants to spin out on a perfect straight while slightly touching the wheel...

The FFB scaling is totally messed up in Forza 5. And with sim steering it's hyper sensitive to steering. It's playable with normal steering, but still there are MILES between Forza 5 and a proper FFB implementation like AC on the PC.

I've never driving one single car in my life that wants to spin out on a perfect straight while slightly touching the wheel...

If your spinning out like that there is something wrong with your wheel.

Also degrees of rotation can also vary ones experience. I have mine on 900 but some people complain about not being able to "feel the car", so they drop it down to 270-350.

Either way if you can't control the car to the extremes you are saying, have you updated your wheels firmware? You also might want to run it through the Thrustmaster setup again.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Tires should not be cold at the start of a race. That's plain stupidity.

At the start if practice/qualifying when you are just coming out of the pits, yeh absolutely.

But at the start of a 2-4 lap race where you start at the back of the grid? That's not cool.

They are slightly warm at the start of a race but reach optimal temperature after a lap or so, starting a race with completely warm tires would be stupid.

Also degrees of rotation can also vary ones experience. I have mine on 900 but some people complain about not being able to "feel the car", so they drop it down to 270-350.

Either way if you can't control the car to the extremes you are saying, have you updated your wheels firmware? You also might want to run it through the Thrustmaster setup again.

Degrees of rotation are extremely important with a racing wheel and one of the reasons you can change it on the fly.

If your driving a F1 car with 900 degrees then get ready to have a bad time; same with driving a muscle car with 240.

erale

Installed the latest firmware. I drive with 900 DOR and normal steering right now, which seems to be the best as normal isn't as overreactive as the sim steering. That way it feels okay, but still the resistance around the center is really weak. And I've got FFB strength at 95. Or even 100.

Wheel is perfectly fine in AC. That's the way it should feel in Forza, but it doesn't. Well maybe I overplayed the spinning out part a bit ;) But cars in Forza, especially race cars, feel way to twitchy.

Installed the latest firmware. I drive with 900 DOR and normal steering right now, which seems to be the best as normal isn't as overreactive as the sim steering. That way it feels okay, but still the resistance around the center is really weak. And I've got FFB strength at 95. Or even 100.

Wheel is perfectly fine in AC. That's the way it should feel in Forza, but it doesn't. Well maybe I overplayed the spinning out part a bit ;) But cars in Forza, especially race cars, feel way to twitchy.

Haven't played AC but the resistance in PC has changed for me each time I play the game. I have decided to not touch it for a few months until they get it sorted out, but I immensely prefer the feeling of F5. Many of the cars feel exactly the same steering wise in PC where in Forza I feel the difference between a FWD civic and a RWD mustang.

Have you ever gone through the Forza menus and adjusted your dead zones?

Mascot

How was there a pre release demo for 5? It was a launch game.

You might want to re-read my post. I never claimed there was a pre-release demo of FM5, I said I thought there was a demo (which I'm probably wrong about). Demos often come out after a game's release.

And yes, there definitely was a pre-release demo of FM2. I played the hell out of it. I also definitely had an FM demo on disc from a magazine but can't remember if that was pre-or post-release.

willbsn13

Forza 5 wasn't 40gb at launch tho! Dan already said theres a d1 patch.

Oh ok sweet, thanks for the clarification! We also need more gameplay. The game has gone gold and all the gameplay we have is of 4 cars on 3 tracks! Come on Dan, give us the goods ;)

erale

Haven't played AC but the resistance in PC has changed for me each time I play the game. I have decided to not touch it for a few months until they get it sorted out, but I immensely prefer the feeling of F5. Many of the cars feel exactly the same steering wise in PC where in Forza I feel the difference between a FWD civic and a RWD mustang.

Have you ever gone through the Forza menus and adjusted your dead zones?

The first thing I did was taking the settings from the ISRTV video on Forza 5 and the Thrustmaster TX. Darin also mentioned setting the wheel to about 330 degrees because of the weak resistance at the center.

I think with anything under 900 degrees it's pretty much undrivable. It improves the resistance around the center but the car gets really twichty then.

Top Bottom