• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France-GAF |OT| Existentialism, cheese, wine and je ne sais quoi

Pacbois

I think 8:50pm, need to travel to Bir Hakeim or Champ de Mars station

No worries, RER will still be fully running at 9, to get to your destination you can catch RER C at Saint-Michel - Notre-Dame. RER C is a bit confusing but there'll be screens and signs pretty much everywhere.

KillGore

No worries, RER will still be fully running at 9, to get to your destination you can catch RER C at Saint-Michel - Notre-Dame. RER C is a bit confusing but there'll be screens and signs pretty much everywhere.

So this is ok?

ZBRsm6S.png

wA6PPzN.png

Pacbois

So this is ok?

ZBRsm6S.png

wA6PPzN.png

Yep. The thing with RER C is that it has a bunch of different terminuses, so just be careful you take the right train, but like I said, there will be signs and screens helping you and has you're not leaving Paris anyway you pretty much just have to get on the right platform.

Alx

I just learnt we're getting out of a strike from the garbage men in Paris, hopefully it will be cleaned up before KillGore starts wandering the streets. :p

KillGore

I just learnt we're getting out of a strike from the garbage men in Paris, hopefully it will be cleaned up before KillGore starts wandering the streets. :p

Im in the airport now. Flight leaves in a few minutes. Don't disappoint me Paris-GAF!

Edit: Managed to work myself with the train system and arrived in my hotel, close to the Eiffel Tower. It was kind of overwhelming to go up the stairs and see that tower, one of the most iconic man-made structure, the one I've been seeing on TV/Movies/Pictures for years, right there in front of me. Loved it.

So that's how older generations moved around. With a map.

KillGore

Killgore goes to south of France: flooding.
Killgore goes to Paris: garbage everywhere.

Stay away from my region please. :p

Sorry France-GAF!

Yeah, the city is somewhat dirty for sure, but it pales in comparison to New York (at least last year when I went), so don't feel bad. I'll be going to Tokyo next month, let's hope they don't go on a strike either.

Anyways, I went to a few places today. As someone who loves history, architecture and monuments, Paris is amazing. Went to Notre Dame, holy shit!!

I then went to the Pantheon. It's beautiful inside and very interesting. Then I went to Sacre Coeur.....the building itself was beautiful but....the place didn't feel too safe? IDK. There was a sea of people and a lot of them were trying to either sell me something, make me sign something, etc.

I also arrived via Château Rouge and the place didn't feel too safe either. I was just coming out of the station and there were floods of people trying to get my attention. I completely ignored them though.

Also went to Arc de Triomphe. Didn't imagine it was going to be that big. They were having some type of event there too.

Man o man that Notre Dame. What a beautiful structure. So much history in it. I'm in love.

Also why are 100% of the people selling stuff black? Honest question. I didn't see a single white or asian guy in any of the touristic sites asking and selling stuff. All of them men too. They knew english. The police came around with horses and they would hide behind trees lol it was really funny. Is it illegal?

There were also people asking to sign something, or at least I think so, they would come up to me and had a piece of paper. I would speak to them in Spanish and that mostly worked. They were all women/girls too. What do they want?

Last thing, there were old ladies with their heads covered in colorful scarves. They were asking for money. They were also all women as well and dressed similarly. Why is that?

Kid Marin

Also why are 100% of the people selling stuff black?. Is it illegal?

Most of them, and yes, it's illegal. It's kinda allowed to some degree.

What do they want? Last thing, there were old ladies with their heads covered in colorful scarves. They were asking for money. They were also all women as well and dressed similarly. Why is that?

It's a scam. By signing, you engage yourself to give money to a phony organization. The ladies are Romani people.

Alas, France is kinda loose with beggars. :/

KillGore

Most of them, and yes, it's illegal. It's kinda allowed to some degree.

It's a scam. By signing, you engage yourself to give money to a phony organization. The ladies are Romani people.

Alas, France is kinda loose with beggars. :/

Are the people selling stuff French or are they immigrants from Africa? Didn't hear them speak French, I think they spoke English? It just surprised me how on all three cases, they were the same gender, race and even wore similar clothing.

Oh, and also saw people doing the find the ball in the three cups thing lol Do people ever win? or is it always a scam? For a second it seems like all the people surrounded are in on it, they were too excited for the game. Screaming, laughing, clapping, etc. There were at least 4-5 people (in general) looking at the man performing the scam.

Edit: Oh! Tomorrow I'll be going to versailles. BTW your train system is very easy to understand. In Puerto Rico we don't really have a train system, only in the capital (and I've never ridden it). So I don't have much experience with it. It seems easier than New York City IMO.

Kid Marin

Are the people selling stuff French or are they immigrants from Africa? Didn't hear them speak French, I think they spoke English? It just surprised me how on all three cases, they were the same gender, race and even wore similar clothing.

Immigrants, most of them are doing this because they can't legally work without papers.

The three cups thing (we call it bonneteau) is also a scam. :)

Enjoy Versailles, this is where i spent most of my school years, and i still go there frequently. Besides the Palace, i recommend you the "Place du marché" and the "Rue de la Paroisse" (both pretty close to the Palace) , the heart of Versailles IMO.

Alx

Yeah tourist places are full of scams unfortunately, when in doubt just ignore or politely decline people asking for anything unsollicited. Even people trying to get your attention near château Rouge were probably for a known scam : they offer you free entrance to a sex show, a few minutes in a girl will sit at your table to chat, will order drinks for herself, and in the end they'll ask you to pay for her drinks at 10 times the price.
Some of them are funny to watch from afar, like the three cups things, but don't let yourself get reeled in. It's like poker, "if you don't know who the sucker is at a table, then you are". ;)

KillGore

Thanks guys

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I have yet to have a language barrier situation in Paris. It is most impressive. I've been able to order food, buy souvenirs, ask for help when needed. I feel very comfortable. It was a lot more difficult in southern France. All of the restaurants I went, there was no one who spoke English or Spanish. The only person who spoke English was the receptionist at the hotel and it was that 1 and only receptionist, because the other ones didn't know.

KillGore

Sorry for the double post but I wanted one last update.

Just arrived to New York and in my way to PR. I loved France and will be returning to bring back my wife. A few comments, including some criticism, which I apologize if anyone gets offended.

- France is full of graffiti, everywhere. That was kinda surprising for me. Even in some touristic places. I went to versailles and they vandalized the huge work of art they have in the gardens. A real shame.
- Saw three people take a piss. One in the eiffel tower and two in versailles, around that big body of water. I'm guessing that's exclusive to men?
- Service is a hit or miss. Some people are nice while others aren't so good. That includes waiters and receptionists. Dont worry though, puerto rican service isn't that amazing either. American service has been great for me. Always welcomes you with a smile and chit chat. The best of the best are in Disney (which has a lot of international workers).
- Train system is a breeze. I'm guessing it's even easier with a phone that works.
- The monuments are the best I've ever seen. Definitely understand why France is the most visited country on Earth.
- Sometimes I would notice like a blue hue if I looked at objects far way. Is that smog?
- CDG is the most beautiful airport I've been on.
- Your food is good, the bread is amazing, but you guys need to eat more rice!
- It was getting pretty cold at the end but during the day it was almost perfect for me. Like a very powerful air conditioning.

Thanks again for everything France-GAF. I'll definitely recommend France to other travelers and also come back.

Alx

- France is full of graffiti, everywhere. That was kinda surprising for me. Even in some touristic places. I went to versailles and they vandalized the huge work of art they have in the gardens. A real shame.
?.

The one on the work of art in Versailles is kind of special, there are expositions of modern art from time to time in the park and classicists hate those because they don't match the palace. The graffiti was a form of complaint, and the artist decided to keep them as part of the art.
But yeah besides of that it's not uncommon to see graffiti everywhere.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. :)

So I'll be in Paris by Monday. Could someone tell me the cheapest and easiest way to get Internet on my phone (besides free wifi in the hotel and restaurants ofc). Is there a sim someone can recommend that has enough data for light google maps and whatsapp use for a week. Thanks!

Pacbois

So I'll be in Paris by Monday. Could someone tell me the cheapest and easiest way to get Internet on my phone (besides free wifi in the hotel and restaurants ofc). Is there a sim someone can recommend that has enough data for light google maps and whatsapp use for a week. Thanks!

Data is fairly cheap here, go to any Orange and SFR shop (preferably in a touristy area so that you have more chance to find english-speakers) and they'll probably find you some pre-paid sim with enough data for around 10€

Data is fairly cheap here, go to any Orange and SFR shop (preferably in a touristy area so that you have more chance to find english-speakers) and they'll probably find you some pre-paid sim with enough data for around 10€

Awesome, thanks. And yeah my phone is unlocked.

Now I just need to decide between three potential hotels. One's in 11th arr, one's in the 13th and one's in the 18th. I guess I should stick to the one closest to a metro because I have THE worst sense of direction.

Pacbois

Awesome, thanks. And yeah my phone is unlocked.

Now I just need to decide between three potential hotels. One's in 11th arr, one's in the 13th and one's in the 18th. I guess I should stick to the one closest to a metro because I have THE worst sense of direction.

I would say the 11th may be better because it's more central.

Salut les boys

Vous pourriez me rappeler le bar où on avait fait le meet-up vers République la dernière fois avec Evilore svp ? Je pensais y aller demain soir après la PGW :eek: (d'ailleurs je relance l'appel au meet-up improvisé si certains sont chauds)

Pacbois

Salut les boys

Vous pourriez me rappeler le bar où on avait fait le meet-up vers République la dernière fois avec Evilore svp ? Je pensais y aller demain soir après la PGW :eek: (d'ailleurs je relance l'appel au meet-up improvisé si certains sont chauds)

Le Kawaii Café, Rue de Nemours.
Malheureusement je serais pas dispo pour un meet-up vu que je serais au Pitchfork Paris.

J'ai du late cancel ma venue à la PGW (alors que BORDEL tous les contacts que je devais voir et qui devaient pas venir sont venus -_-) donc ce sera sans moi désolé. :/

There were also people asking to sign something, or at least I think so, they would come up to me and had a piece of paper. I would speak to them in Spanish and that mostly worked. They were all women/girls too. What do they want?

Stealing your money. Like seriously, drawing your attention on the paper and to empty your pockets while you don't look. Be more careful.

Derpot

Mon dieu, je viens de lire les nouvelles ce matin. Comment est-ce qu'une telle chose a pu arriver?
J'ai des amis qui vivent près et dans Paris, ils vont bien mais ils sont secoués. Enfin tout le monde l'est après tout, c'est normal...

Faites attention à vous.

Kuldar

Mon dieu, je viens de lire les nouvelles ce matin. Comment est-ce qu'une telle chose a pu arriver?
L'ancien patron du département anti-terroriste avait expliqué ça très simplement sur France 2 tout à l'heure. On a beau arrêter un tas de gens qui allaient commettre une attaque, il y en a qui arriveront à réussir leur attaque, il y en a simplement trop.

Il expliquait aussi qu'il y a quelques mois il y avait un interpelé qui disait qu'il avait été ordonné d'attaquer un concert de rock. Il expliquait aussi que la France est une cible prioritaire pour ISIS et qu'il y a vraiment beaucoup beaucoup de candidats pour attaquer notre pays.

Derpot

L'ancien patron du département anti-terroriste avait expliqué ça très simplement sur France 2 tout à l'heure. On a beau arrêter un tas de gens qui allaient commettre une attaque, il y en a qui arriveront à réussir leur attaque, il y en a simplement trop.

Il expliquait aussi qu'il y a quelques mois il y avait un interpelé qui disait qu'il avait été ordonné d'attaquer un concert de rock. Il expliquait aussi que la France est une cible prioritaire pour ISIS et qu'il y a vraiment beaucoup beaucoup de candidats pour attaquer notre pays.

La France, une cible prioritaire ? Je ne pensais pas que c'était à ce point... Il y a bien eu les attaques contre Charlie Hebdo, mais je n'avais jamais pensé qu'une attaque d'une envergure comme celle que Paris a subi hier pouvait arriver. Je dois être bien naïve.

Derpot

Cet article de Match initialement paru en septembre explique assez bien le pourquoi du comment.

J'ai lu l'article, tout ça est vraiment effrayant...
Même si on trouve de plus en plus de moyens pour les neutraliser, ils en trouveront toujours des nouveaux pour commettre leurs crimes. Même si on tue leurs chefs, ils les remplacent immédiatement. Les seules choses qu'on puisse faire, c'est de réduire leurs troupes et augmenter la surveillance, en fin de compte?

Leks

Salut FranceGAF. Un retour d'inactivité pour vous dire que je pars pour Paris.
Branle-bas de combat au petit matin, préparation et rappel de tous les personnels partis en week-end. On ignore aussi bien le lieu précis que la durée de la mission.

C'est du sérieux, dixit le capitaine et le chef de corps (revenu exprès pour un discours).

Wish me luck.

Branle-bas de combat au petit matin, préparation et rappel de tous les personnels partis en week-end. On ignore aussi bien le lieu précis que la durée de la mission.

C'est du sérieux, dixit le capitaine et le chef de corps (revenu exprès pour un discours).

Wish me luck.

Godspeed mon ami. Et merci.

Alx

Wish me luck.

Bon courage, et merci.

Wish me luck.

Quelque chose me dit que tu ne dois pas être loin...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185455556&postcount=6809

A priori ils ont aussi recontacté les réservistes, même ceux de longue date, pour confirmer les adresses en cas de besoin. Un ami a été appelé alors qu'il a fait l'armée il y a plus de 20 ans.

Kurita

Quel monde de merde, sérieux.
J'étais à St Lazare avec des potes quand ça a eu lieu, ma mère m'a appelé affolée et tout...
Et dire que ma soeur voulait aller au concert, mais son travail l'en a empêchée. Putain.

KillGore

Hello France-GAF

Just wanted to stop by and tell you guys that all of us in Puerto Rico have you in our thoughts and prayers (those who are religious). I know it doesn't need to be said. Everyone in the world has you in their thoughts. I just wanted to say it. As some of you know, I was in Paris a month ago, and although I'm not French, just being there, seeing the beauty of France and Paris, it just hits closer to home for me. Stay strong guys.

Edit: Here is the Puerto Rican Capitol Building

solidaridadconfrancia.jpg

Grizzo

J'étais à St Lazare avec des potes quand ça a eu lieu, ma mère m'a appelé affolée et tout...
Et dire que ma soeur voulait aller au concert, mais son travail l'en a empêchée. Putain.

Whoa, c'est chaud... Content que toi et ta sœur alliez bien aujourd'hui.

Hello France-GAF

Just wanted to stop by and tell you guys that all of us in Puerto Rico have you in our thoughts and prayers (those who are religious). I know it doesn't need to be said. Everyone in the world has you in their thoughts. I just wanted to say it. As some of you know, I was in Paris a month ago, and although I'm not French, just being there, seeing the beauty of France and Paris, it just hits closer to home for me. Stay strong guys.

Thanks for the support KillGore.

dosh

Putain, en effet. Beaucoup de potes qui vivent à Paris m'ont raconté des histoires similaires aujourd'hui. Ce sont des rues qu'ils fréquentent régulièrement, et à côté desquelles ils vivent.

Et pour le coup, j'applaudis chaudement FB et la mise en place rapide de son safety check. Ca a du rassurer pas mal de monde assez vite.

Non, toujours sur le trajet.

Merci tout le monde pour votre soutien.
Ben merci à toi, surtout, quand même.

Jb

Putain ça fait bizarre de se dire qu'on est la cible n°1 de ces connards dans le monde oriental. Se dire que ce genre de tuerie pourrait devenir fréquent, comme si on était à Beirut ou Jerusalem.

Kurita

Putain, en effet. Beaucoup de potes qui vivent à Paris m'ont raconté des histoires similaires aujourd'hui. Ce sont des rues qu'ils fréquentent régulièrement, et à côté desquelles ils vivent.

Et pour le coup, j'applaudis chaudement FB et la mise en place rapide de son safety check. Ca a du rassurer pas mal de monde assez vite.

Ouais c'est vraiment un quartier prisé. J'y vais souvent boire un coup, mon frère aussi.
Et puis le Bataclan, j'ai fait 5-6 concerts là-bas. Ça tient vraiment à rien, ça me fout par terre de penser à ça.

Excuses si mon français est incorrect, je suis encore à apprendre. C'est un langue beau. J'était en Place de la Comédie à Montpellier aujord'hui pour la minute de silence. Ce mémorial formé après:

yhANo5L.jpg

Je ne comprends pas pourquoi ces choses arrivent.

Kezen

Banned
Le problème c'est que nous sommes confrontés à un terrorisme d'une fluidité quasi nouvelle. Ce genre de tragédies ne peut pas être évitée, et à ce titre il faut rappeler que beaucoup d'attentats ont été déjoués par nos services de renseignement.

Mes pensées vont aux familles.

La communauté Musulmane a peur des amalgames mais il faut qu'elle prenne ses responsabilités et qu'elle tente d'expliquer aux Français "moyens" qu'est-ce que l'Islam et en quoi les exemples médiatisés n'en font pas partie.
J'en ai discuté avec des Musulmans que je connais dans mon quartiers et eux sont d'accord avec moi : se retrancher ne sert à rien, faire le don rond non plus, il faut s'engager dans un vrai dialogue avec les médias pour faire cesser les amalgames. Mais cela doit venir de la cette communauté, dans le cas où ils ne feraient rien bien les Français continueront de penser que tous les adeptes de l'Islam sont des terroristes potentiels prêts à se faire péter sur une terrasse.

Pas facile de porter un prénom arabe ces temps-ci. J'en sais quelque chose, même si j'ai élevé dans un foyer athée et "à la Française". Donc pas de communautarisme et aucune difficulté d'intégration.

J'ai beaucoup de respect pour la communauté Musulmane malgré mes critiques et je leur souhaite le meilleur mais je le répète il faut absolument que les représentants les plus éminents dénoncent plus férocement encore les pratiques de Daech et impriment dans l'esprit collectif la différence entre l'Islam prêché et l'Islam radical, parce que trop n'ont aucune connaissance de ça.

Alx

Ca marche bien la vente de drapeaux tricolores au bazar du coin. J'étais bizarrement un peu gêné d'entrer pour en acheter un, mais y avait au moins trois personnes derrière moi qui faisaient pareil. ^^

Top Bottom