• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean - Blonde |OT| These boys do cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://pitchfork.com/news/67699-tom-sachs-explains-frank-oceans-endless-stairway-to-heaven/
“The 40-minute version is edited, but there's something like a 140-hour version. That’s the whole thing. That exists, that’s the art piece.”

PKoUlut.png

Damerman

my favorite track after listening on loop the whole day is easily nights... Thats his magnum opus. but thats speaking objectively, so to speak. really the track is something i would associate with being a large majority of people's favorites.

my personal favorite is pretty sweet. fucking bliss.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I never listened to Endless because I wasn't sure if it was the album chopped up, been listening to it all day today. Some really great stuff on here, the track with Sampha is fantastic.

Blessed Frank.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I listened to the album earlier today and was really drunk when listening to it, and it all kind of blurred together, but it was so amazing when listening to it.

Yado

Finally got around to listening to Endless and I liked it better than Blond. It reminds me of a soundcloud mix you just put on for background music.

Blond sounds like it will be more of a grower, need to listen to it again.

Blader

Not gonna lie, even after multiple listens, I've enjoyed this meal, but I'm still craving a full plate of the appetizer (Endless).

I just can't believe he'd put all that effort and then cut it into less-than-bite-size pieces.
I don't think they were cut up, I think a lot of the tracks on Endless are just short sketches that he didn't flesh out into longer songs.

It's 140 hours of Frank building the staircase, not 140 hours of music.

Anyone know if the pop up shops are still going on? Was mad i worked yesterday so i couldnt go. but im off tomorrow and wanna hit up the NY one....

Finally got around to watching Endless. With all these Franks why does it take so long to get an album out? Is it this carpentry side-business that's distracting them?

I hate myself for missing that pop-up shop. Granted, I am not physically in New York and had no way of getting to one of them, but I would fucking love an actual physical magazine from Frank. I hope he actually sells it soon, and doesn't make this some limited edition bullshit.

Red_Man

According to this review, Kendrick does vocals on Skyline To. Hard to identify, but I guess it's just meshed in with the vocals at the end.

Bruh.
qDRGCH4.png

Throw down.

I gotta wait until it's on Spotify but first listen didn't do much for me.

It's ethereal in a sense that I think if this were just released without the hype or the games or the pop ups or the art show... People wouldn't be praising it so much.

I listened to CO afterwards and that album just seemed more solid, less airy than blonde. Again I gotta wait until it's on Spotify again

Red_Man

Listening to this with headphones on is an absolute must. Technically and sonically this album is incredible.

DiddyBop

Listening to Endless again while looking at the tracklist and this is a really solid album that will sadly get lost in the shuffle I feel. Alabama, UNITY, comme des garçon, rushes, rushes to, higgs are all solid.

breakfuss

why are we still trying to compare albums in 2016

Because it's from the same artist? I wanted to see if he had grown any. And so far it seems so. Enjoying what I've heard. CO was garbage.

As soon as that track started I was like "yup this is a Tyler instrumental"

Song is great

Sounds like Neptunes to me, and Beyoncé being on it leads me to believe it is.

megalowho

Yeah, I like this a bunch. Psychedelic, minimal and personal bedroom soul, definitely feeling the influences he's pulling from. Bit of a downer vibe overall but laid back and playful. Flows nicely from start to finish, even if I kinda feel phone messages and a big retrospective closer are a little played out at this point.

Favorites:

Nikes - Thinkin Bout You 2.0
Pink + White - Got to have a floaty neo soul track
Self Control - Currently on repeat. Masterful slow burn, goosebumps by the end
Nights - Starts a little robotic but then it opens up and goes places
Close To You - Dope beat/tease
Seigfried - Haunting, shifting. Dig the strings and the Elliott Smith shout out. Could see Thom Yorke playing this
Godspeed - Got to have a gospel track

High impact features too that add to the album without overdoing it. That Andre cat should put out more stuff.

Edit: Solo is also a good song

Jocund

I'd say the strength of the songwriting alone makes this project tremendously better than TLOP. For me, anyhow.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't say better. More satisfying, I'd say.

I gotta wait until it's on Spotify but first listen didn't do much for me.

It's ethereal in a sense that I think if this were just released without the hype or the games or the pop ups or the art show... People wouldn't be praising it so much.

I listened to CO afterwards and that album just seemed more solid, less airy than blonde. Again I gotta wait until it's on Spotify again

I feel you. As stated, I actually wish we had a full blown "Endless" and he had left Blond to the stream. I feel like Endless had more put into them.

This fucking album, man.

Every time I've gone through this record, I find more things to like. This'll have been the third time I've gone through the album, and I find myself loving it more and more.

Frank fucking delivered, man.

Darksol

Still loving it. I also echo the opinion that you must give this album a listen with a pair of nice headphones. There's so much going on in these songs.

Still loving it. I also echo the opinion that you must give this album a listen with a pair of nice headphones. There's so much going on in these songs.

Kinda wanna wait until a physical pops up so I can make a FLAC rip before putting it on my good headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom