• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean - Blonde |OT| These boys do cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

I really enjoyed this album on first listen

Nights is the only track that actively stood out to me as I felt the whole thing kind of blended together (in a really good way) especially towards the end

I'm gonna let it ruminate and give it another listen to tomorrow, but I was pleasantly surprised by what we got. Still gotta watch/listen to Endless too.

"Nikes" is one of my favorites on the first listen. That, and Solo (Reprise) are the first two immediate greats on this thing. I feel like this is the type of album that won't be an instant classic, but needs time to settle in and for people to gauge what it is, its relation to Endless, and the intentions behind the record.

But, Frank did good. Only shame is, we'll need to wait another 4 years for whatever shit he pulls next.

Just finished listening to it. It was pretty meh, putting me to sleep too. I'll try again in the morning.

I don't think this album is for me tbh, way too chill.

number11

Guess I'm in the minority who isn't feeling this album. I've listened to it 3 times in a row and the only track I love is the Andre 3000 track.

Jaroof

That first track screams James Blake to me.
Can't wait to listen to the rest of the album!

I'm slacking, because I haven't made it through Channel Orange yet.. :/
I will, though.

Coreda

Guess I'm in the minority who isn't feeling this album. I've listened to it 3 times in a row and the only track I love is the Andre 3000 track.

There are some quality low key tracks in there. It's no CO but it sounds more like an interim album. Wouldn't be surprised if his next release arrives sooner.

Only concern would be him slipping into the 'I've already earned the respect so whatever' influenced sound. Kanye went in this direction a while ago and lost me for the most part. Ye's fanbase enjoy his output regardless.

Gonna need a few listens to get a real verdict. On first listen, it's not as memorable as channel orange, and doesnt have the grand production of some of the songs on that. But I love the vibe on it. Nights is the immediate standout for me.

Also, disappointed that there is no full version of memrise.

Gaz_RB

Just finished listening to it. It was pretty meh, putting me to sleep too. I'll try again in the morning.

I don't think this album is for me tbh, way too chill.

Same, unfortunately. I was really looking forward to this too--maybe I need to sleep on it

crustikid

I think the album is absolutely fantastic. I've been a fan of most of Frank's work, but this is really something special to me. Worth the wait, haha.

nice avatar.

The infinite internet hype train circle jerk--it's part of the sale, Frank's so-called PR persona. It was a big part of TLOP, and worked for him, so I'm sure it was part of the plan for this release.

All that matters in the end is the finished product (or revisions in K.West's case).

Anyway, gotta leave some time for rumination. Whatever personal journey FO took to get the album where it is now, I appreciate that work, and can't imagine living in his sort of creative vacuum. Rather delays, and more delays, and whatever than something like NMS.

I changed my avatar for the occasion, figured I'd share Frank's iconic headband for anyone else that wanted to use it.
xsUw6B5.png

Man, I'm five tracks in and I'm really digging the direction Frank went. For some reason I had no confidence in him actually delivering the goods after all this time. I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Nights is incredible.

Edit 2: 3 Stacks!!!!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I hope there are other ways to get physical albums. The physical has a different tracklist.

He got twooooooo versions

Coreda

I hope there are other ways to get physical albums. The physical has a different tracklist.

He got twooooooo versions

See this post.

The physical doesn't have two extra tracks in reality and only contains MP3 versions of the identical digital release tracks. The only difference is a Japanese rapper on Nikes.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Wtf is that shrieking at 1:40 in Nikes

I listened to the whole thing once, and while some tracks stood out, nothing really left an impression on me..yet :(

I think it's safe to say this isn't on the same level as Channel Orange, but I'll see if it grows on me.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Man, the last 2 minutes of Nikes is so fucking lit, probably what I like most in the album and exactly what I hoped his album would sound like. Why can't the rest of the song be like that?

Overall it's an ok album I guess but definitely not on the same level as CO for me. I like nights, pink & white, self control, Ivy and the last 2 minutes of Nikes and but none of them as much as his older stuff. Way too chilly

hydruxo

Self Control is the song that'll keep me coming back to this album I think. Some real genre bending shit right there. It's damn good.

After a couple of listens, I think Nights is the only song I would call a stand out, pink+white isn't bad either.
Futura free just pisses me off though, I don't want to listen to 4 minutes of talking/static/garbage frank.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
After a couple of listens, I think Nights is the only song I would call a stand out, pink+white isn't bad either.
Futura free just pisses me off though, I don't want to listen to 4 minutes of talking/static/garbage frank.
Could just swipe to the right on the tracker to finish it off... Or go into iTunes and give it an artificial end time.

If it really bothers you that much.

Finished listening to it for the third time and I'd rank it above nostalgia, Ultra., but below channel Orange. At the same time, I feel it has more replayability than CO, so there is that. In the end, this is one of the better outcomes that could've happened with this album as I really doubt he could've surpassed CO creatively. As many have mentioned, Pink + White is a standout, along with Nights. I'd also add Seigfried, Self Control, Solo, Solo (Reprise), and White Ferrari to the list as well. Futura Free could've been one of the best tracks on the album, but the intentional obfuscation of the audio recordings at the end of the track just bothered me. Shame too, because I was interested in hearing more of the responses to the questions.

On a side note: Did 3 Stacks diss Drake on Solo (Reprise)?

pretty surprised at the amount of psychedelic/indie rock influence on this record--i know frank said he was really into the beach boys and beatles but i didnt expect such a significant departure from channel orange's aesthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom