• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean - Blonde |OT| These boys do cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

Still digesting. Second playthrough and I'm still loving it though! Both Solos are just....fuck I love this shit 💕

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was suppose to go out tonight, but I've literally been listening to this from start to finish since 7 pm. Drinking as I go along and each listen becomes better and better, there's so many layers to this album.

Three different tracks: Pretty Sweet, Mitsubishi Sony, Easy.

No idea about other regions.

EDIT: I'LL KEEP REPEATING UNTIL THE MYSTERY IS SOLVED -- WHAT TRACK FEATURES BOWIE?

Pretty Sweet is on iTunes.

The other two aren't confirmed as no one has even stated hearing the songs (the lyrics are only cause its printed in the magazine). This could just be a misprint, or maybe Frank changed his mind after the magazines were printed (and anyone who knows Frank shouldnt be surprised, and anyone who knows about Print knows why they would just say "fuck it, release it how it is" than reprint everything).

Is the Beatles sample "Blue Jay Way" in Siegfried (from 3:19-3:30)? it sounds like the synth played at the end of the beatles track. Still on my first listen and I'm on the look out for it lol.

Chairhome

My friend let me listen to the CD, there were no extra tracks (Easy and Mitsubishi Sony were on that list someone posted but it was not on the CD).
Nikes is different. With the japanese rapper on the CD

lustrate

I think the album is absolutely fantastic. I've been a fan of most of Frank's work, but this is really something special to me. Worth the wait, haha.

My friend let me listen to the CD, there were no extra tracks (Easy and Mitsubishi Sony were on that list someone posted but it was not on the CD).
Nikes is different. With the japanese rapper on the CD

Yep. Everyone who at least listened to the CDs with the magazines having that tracklist have confirmed Nikes being the only difference and the other two nowhere in sight.

Vire

First listen standouts:

Pink + White, Nights and Seigfried.

Really nice job Frank, very enjoyable and ethereal album. Is it more memorable than CO? I dunno, but I found it immediately enjoyable and I got completely lost with my headphones on. The real test is a late night drive.

What's everyone else's favorites?

jacobs34

It's kind of a bummer that there is no way to get a Lossless version of this album right now.

I'm on my third play through and there is a consistency here that is very impressive. The production is incredible, and the over reaching themes work together throughout the album. This is someone mastering their craft. Oh yeah, and it's all gorgeous.

Alright, 'bout to hop in the six speed with this fresh album.

And them club girls gon' be out there, too
ypq9Y1T.png

PBY

Banned
First listen standouts:

Really nice job Frank, very enjoyable and ethereal album. Is it more memorable than CO? I dunno, but I found it immediately enjoyable and I got completely lost with my headphones on. The real test is a late night drive.

White Ferrari

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
think im done with the OP

also that Bob Ludwig shoutout.

:cryingemoji: we're going to get such an amazing LP out of this. Basically got one of the vinyl gods to master/engineer his record.

Red_Man

On a random note, doing live listening groups to TLOP and now Blonde has been pretty great, regardless of how frustrating the releases were at the time.

jacobs34

think im done with the OP

also that Bob Ludwig shoutout.

:cryingemoji: we're going to get such an amazing LP out of this. Basically got one of the vinyl gods to master/engineer his record.

Well done with the OP, and wow is that wait for the vinyl going to be excruciating.

Got really lucky today. Texted my friend that lives in LA the pop up shop image like a minute after Frank put it up online. He rushed over with his girlfriend and got there before the line had really started, and picked me up a magazine since I'm the one who gave him the tip off. Gonna be so awesome to pick it up tomorrow and look through it. He keeps saying how much attention to detail and care was put it into it, and I'm so excited. :)

As for the album, gonna take a while to really digest it. It's a grower for sure. Standout so far for me was White Ferrari. God damn, what a song.

First listen standouts:

Nike and Solo.
The build up to his verse in Nike's is perfect imo, and I love the beat lyrics.
And Solo has my favorite lyrics on the album by far, the organ was beautiful, and his rapsingy flow was intoxicating.
Both of these make me wanna dance.

Kyonashi

Still can't believe someone took the disc out and just threw the mag on the floor, this thing is great. Guess now I don't have to unseal my copy.

Finished my first listen. Great album. I usually hate most on the first playthrough lol.

Favorite song is easily Self Control. Other standouts for me were, in no order, Solo, Solo reprise, Nights, Pretty Sweet, and Seigfried.

Definitely gonna have this on repeat tomorrow.

Yeah, this is definitely a cruising on the highway late at night on the way home from the bar/club type of album. After all the drama the hype is justified.

Bowlie

Banned
First listen standouts:

Ivy, Self Control and Siegfried.

I gotta listen to it more times, though.
This album is so relaxing and beautiful, there's nothing like a Monks or Golden Girl in here.

Just finished it, it's a big change from Channel Orange but I like it quite a bit. It's a lot less grandiose but it feels much more personal, glad to see his style has "evolved."

As for favorite songs, Ivy, Pink + White, both Solo's, Nights, White Ferrari, and Seigfried all stood out.

I have no idea what the album's themes were and what it was actually about though. I'm gonna have to dive further into that on repeat listens.

SaganIsGOAT

Wow at Solo 😱. His style is strange but very novel? I feel like novel works. It's weird but novel. I like novel. I'm vibing to this 🌚🌝

Red_Man

I would compare this as the R&B equivalent to the evolution from GKMC - > TPAB

Both fantastic albums, and both evolution's from their predecessors without losing what makes the artist special

Decided to submit the beatles sample on Who Sampled. I was slightly wrong. Seigfried does indeed sample a track from Magical Mystery Tour, but it was Flying, not Blue Jay Way. Compare Flying at 1:31 to Seigfried at 3:19, slightly altered sample. It's really cool cause it doesn't even sound like a sample to anyone unfamiliar with the song. And shoutouts to the producer for sampling probably the most slept on beatles track.

Anyone else find any other samples?

I definitely agree. Now if only we got a KennyxFrank song on this album.

We can only be so blessed at a time. If that came out my phone would burst into flames from how good it is.

This reminded me that we never did get that Kendrick + JCole project. Ah well, JCole would have ruined it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom