• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean - Blonde |OT| These boys do cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerned
44be9a8001.gif

JABEE

Decided to submit the beatles sample on Who Sampled. I was slightly wrong. Seigfried does indeed sample a track from Magical Mystery Tour, but it was Flying, not Blue Jay Way. Compare Flying at 1:31 to Seigfried at 3:19, slightly altered sample. It's really cool cause it doesn't even sound like a sample to anyone unfamiliar with the song. And shoutouts to the producer for sampling probably the most slept on beatles track.

Anyone else find any other samples?

I feel like Being for The Benefit of Mr. Kite was sampled at some point. Not sure the track.

White Ferrari sounded like a modern Beach Boys song. Solo had a very Smile vibe.

The best tracks on the record are Self Control, Solo, and Solo Reprise.

I don't think there is anything on the record that stands out like Super Rich Kids, Sweet Life or Thinkin' About You.

A lot of loose jangling guitar sounds. Toss in an acoustic guitar under electric synth and modulation. I'm also getting a little tired of the baby voice effect on vocals. Some of the stuff sounded pretty, but other stuff sounded less so.

Overall, I enjoyed my first listen. Not blown away by it.

Blader

Think I like Pink + White, Self Control and Nights the most after a first listen.

None of the tracks so far stand out to me like a Pyramids or Lost (or even some of the stuff on Endless) but I like the overall vibe and pace more than CO I think. I love CO but the stretch between Fertilizer and Crack Rock feels like a long dull wait to the good stuff; I didn't have that same ok get on with it feeling here, or on Endless for that matter.

Gonna listen plenty more though, so we'll see.

Just got back. Man, that was smooth.

Especially with Seigfried kicking in as I was coming off the ramp switchin' from 3rd to 4th was that breeze picked up.
o9X6s8k.png

Can't wait to drive to Florida.

gah I wish there was a (legal) way to hear the other tracks.... Got the alt Nikes at least.

There aren't any bonus tracks. Mitsubishi Sony is Higgs from the Endless stream, so its safe to say the other is probably from Endless as well.

Seems like those two are tracks he gave to the stream instead.

Red_Man

Frank gonna do a Kanye and drop an impromptu album in 6 months

You just wait and watch

You

just

Wait

and

:(
Do not start the great journey again, we finally met the promise land. Time to rejoice and enjoy.

There aren't any bonus tracks. Mitsubishi Sony is Higgs from the Endless stream, so its safe to say the other is probably from Endless as well.

Seems like those two are tracks he gave to the stream instead.

I'm hearing so many mixed things idk what to believe haha. Shit about three different covers of the zine with different bonus tracks.

L O S T

jacobs34

Ah ha! I knew Bon Iver was on White Ferrari, went to Reddit to confirm.

James Blake is turning into the Kevin Bacon of the music industry. Bringing everybody together.

Red_Man

Ah ha! I knew Bon Iver was on White Ferrari, went to Reddit to confirm.

James Blake is turning into the Kevin Bacon of the music industry. Bringing everybody together.
Apparently Beyonce does vocals on Pink + White

I'm hearing so many mixed things idk what to believe haha. Shit about three different covers of the zine with different bonus tracks.

L O S T

Let me explain
(shoutout to Kevin Hart)
:

• Various magazines contain tracklistings that differ from iTunes. The magazine only lists 13 tracks while iTunes lists 17.
  • Two track listed in the magazine, Mitsubishi Sony & Easy, are not on the iTunes tracklist.
  • However, people who actually put in the CD with magazines with the alternate tracklist found that the tracklisting is identical to iTunes, the only difference being Nikes featuring Japanese rapper KOHH.
  • Turns out, the CDs in the magazines aren't audio CDs but data CDs with the album in MP3 format.
  • The lyrics for the tracks Mitsubishi Sony & Easy were only posted because the lyrics are in the magazine.
  • Turns out, two lines in Mitsubishi Sony ("that aint really loud couldn't use his voice cause his wind gone/nigga sound like reggie") appeared in the song Higgs from the Endless stream, so its a safe bet to say Easy is probably from another song off the stream.
  • Because the CDs are data CDs, Frank was able to load them with various album covers.
  • Also note how nobody has heard the songs, even those who claim to have the alternate track listed magazine.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were two tracks he decided to change, but because the magazines were probably already printed, they weren't going to reprint them all.

Let me explain
(shoutout to Kevin Hart)
:

• Various magazines contain tracklistings that differ from iTunes. The magazine only lists 13 tracks while iTunes lists 17.
  • Two track listed in the magazine, Mitsubishi Sony & Easy, are not on the iTunes tracklist.
  • However, people who actually put in the CD with magazines with the alternate tracklist found that the tracklisting is identical to iTunes, the only difference being Nikes featuring Japanese rapper KOHH.
  • Turns out, the CDs in the magazines aren't audio CDs but data CDs with the album in MP3 format.
  • The lyrics for the tracks Mitsubishi Sony & Easy were only posted because the lyrics are in the magazine.
  • Turns out, two lines in Mitsubishi Sony ("that aint really loud couldn't use his voice cause his wind gone/nigga sound like reggie") appeared in the song Higgs from the Endless stream, so its a safe bet to say Easy is probably from another song off the stream.
  • Because the CDs are data CDs, Frank was able to load them with various album covers.
  • Also note how nobody has heard the songs, even those who claim to have the alternate track listed magazine.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were two tracks he decided to change, but because the magazines were probably already printed, they weren't going to reprint them all.

Appreciate the clearing up. You da real MVP

hughesta

Banned
Ivy putting me into a trance. Not sure that comment looks good when paired with the above post but it feels good to me.

Fjordson

Ivy is my favourite track I think. The melody and the Durutti Column-esque guitars in the background are amazing.

Let me explain
(shoutout to Kevin Hart)
:

Interesting. Anywhere one could see these alternate covers online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom