• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean - Blonde |OT| These boys do cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bummed the song snippet at the end of the First version of You are Luhh didn't end up anywhere on the records.

It sounded like pure bliss.

I'm bummed the song snippet at the end of the First version of You are Luhh didn't end up anywhere on the records.

It sounded like pure bliss.
Duuuude I thought I was the only one who was still thinking about that. I replayed the end of that snippet like 50 times when it first came out. That's why I've always been so hyped for Frank's next album. I love Blonde, but it's completely different to what I was expecting based off that. It was such a jam, and was like a total evolution of Channel Orange's sound. I always thought it would be the lead single and he was teasing it early.

Sweet Life
Golden Girl
Superpower
Pink + White
Skyline To

Frank and the God PHARRELL still haven't missed!

Pink + White is definitely not Tyler it's P

Yeah, I think so too. I love the whole album but I just can't stop listening to P+W, I think I might have a problem.

Hey, wait a minute... P+W... Pharrell Williams. Nah, probably a coincidence.

entremet

Guys, iTunes is DRM free and has been DRM free for ages.

You can buy the tracks on iTunes and play it in your music software player or device of choice. You're not tied to iTunes if you can't stand it.

It's not that hard and it's only 10 bucks lol.

Blader

I thought "Device Control" was weird but now it's got me like:

VJu3UG2.gif

Haha yeah, I'm really into it now.

Gaz_RB

Guys, iTunes is DRM free and has been DRM free for ages.

You can buy the tracks on iTunes and play it in your music software player or device of choice. You're not tied to iTunes if you can't stand it.

It's not that hard and it's only 10 bucks lol.

Seriously. Don't use this as an excuse to pirate.

valeu

lie in a hammock on a sunday afternoon and put this on and be treated to delicious creative wonderful sonic soul-pop modern chillness

Not gonna lie, even after multiple listens, I've enjoyed this meal, but I'm still craving a full plate of the appetizer (Endless).

I just can't believe he'd put all that effort and then cut it into less-than-bite-size pieces.

Nothus

I was really enjoying Futura Free until all that shit at the end with the dialogue. Why put something so harsh sounding like that on the end of such a chill song?

Anyway, only a small gripe. Album is fucking awesome.

hokahey

Channel Orange is one of my all time favorite albums. And it's follow-up has my most anticipated album 2 years running. But I'm still wrapping my head around how I feel about Blond. Wiseman and You are Luhh are both seemingly better than anything on here. This album is more of a slow day dream. Which I dig. But not necessarily what I was hoping for from Frank.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I was sitting there, listening, waiting for a 'bop', a 'songs for women'. As I've realised, it's not really that kind of album. Fairly 'slow', chill, quiet. Now I've put my expectations aside, and on a second spin, I'm starting to really like it. Some of these songs are very sweet, leave very sweet feels.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's definitely on a different wave than CO, but once you can separate that it's such a good burn.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I cannot fathom how people think CO is the better album. I was taken aback by this thing. It's absolutely stunning.
Off first listen, CO definitely has the more "catchier" tunes, easy to pick up on. Blonde just has a depth to it that you need to soak in.

I wish I didn't go so Kingsglaive at Empire25 now, I could of gone to the Pop Up shop in NYC :(

However, I love this album so so much. I'm so happy that Frank came back with probably more than what people expected of him.

Two Albums (Endless/Blonde)
A Magazine
A Film (Endless)
And now there's still more left. Apparently something may drop tonight from different people (such as DenimTears on Twitter) and Malay. It's probably merchandise which I hope it is so I can buy the magazine + that hoodie.

Gaz_RB

I get more depressed the more times I listen to this album. I want to like it so bad but I cannot seem to get it to click.

Jocund

I love this album like a lot of you other folks. I seriously hope we're able to buy the magazine off the site at some point, cause I love the way it looks.

I love this album like a lot of you other folks. I seriously hope we're able to buy the magazine off the site at some point, cause I love the way it looks.

According to people on KTT (KanyeToThe), multiple sources have said we will be able to buy it in a few weeks or something like that. Can't confirm if it's fully true or not, but at this point anything is possible. I'd be shocked if Frank gave out the magazines w/ whatever purchase we make on the website when the merch drops.

Jocund

According to people on KTT (KanyeToThe), multiple sources have said we will be able to buy it in a few weeks or something like that. Can't confirm if it's fully true or not, but at this point anything is possible. I'd be shocked if Frank gave out the magazines w/ whatever purchase we make on the website when the merch drops.
Oh all right, thanks for the info. Two weeks isn't too bad a wait, just as long as it's available to purchase eventually.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
On first listen, this album does nothing for me. I can't find any of the melodies interesting at all. I'll continue to listen and hope it grows on me. Also fuck autotune.

Listened to the album 4-5 times now. Even as a die-hard Channel Orange glad, I'm glad he didn't make an album that felt like Channel Orange Pt. 2. This is so entirely different and feels more like an aural journey through his mind -- including the highs and lows, hence why each song isn't a banger -- whereas Channel Orange felt like a collection of (great) single-ready songs. Endless also does feel like a great connecting piece between the two.

Not sure whether this'll stand the test of time (for me), but there are definitely chunks and sections of the album that are fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom