• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean - Blonde |OT| These boys do cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not liking this song so much. Seems like one of the weaker Endless tracks. Maybe it'll grow on me though.

That being said, the Travis Scott feature is good, and some of the lyrics are cool. I like how it starts with:

"My girl made him wait 'til the hours of the night", kinda mirrors Chanel's opening line.

Rn I'm goin with Chanel > Lens > Biking. Lens is fantastic and I love that Biking is a callback to the old OF days, but Chanel is something truly special that blows me away every time I listen to it. Especially the Rocky version.

All these songs have me so excited with the direction Frank is taking his music. It's so great to be getting a steady stream of music from him instead of a drought for the next 4 years or something. Leaving his label was definitely the best thing that ever happened to Frank fans.

Helmholtz

Rn I'm goin with Chanel > Lens > Biking. Lens is fantastic and I love that Biking is a callback to the old OF days, but Chanel is something truly special that blows me away every time I listen to it. Especially the Rocky version.

All these songs have me so excited with the direction Frank is taking his music. It's so great to be getting a steady stream of music from him instead of a drought for the next 4 years or something. Leaving his label was definitely the best thing that ever happened to Frank fans.
My thoughts are similar to yours. Chanel is in a class of its own. However I might prefer the Frank-only parts of Biking to Lens, however the Jay and Tyler parts bring it down. Those features weren't terrible but I didn't find they added anything to the song as Frank's parts were just on a different level.
Side note, Rushes is now one of my favorite Frank songs, and I would kill for a higher quality version of it... please Frank release the audio files, ain't nobody watching your video in 2017

My thoughts are similar to yours. Chanel is in a class of its own. However I might prefer the Frank-only parts of Biking to Lens, however the Jay and Tyler parts bring it down. Those features weren't terrible but I didn't find they added anything to the song as Frank's parts were just on a different level.
Side note, Rushes is now one of my favorite Frank songs, and I would kill for a higher quality version of it... please Frank release the audio files, ain't nobody watching your video in 2017
We definitely think alike because I agree about your thoughts on Biking and Rushes became my favorite Frank song. I think it's the best thing he's ever done. I love Endless so much, and I hope we can get a proper album release of it someday. I prefer it to Blonde in a lot of ways as well, even if it does feel like sketches. Kind of reminds me of Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk by Jeff Buckley. It's not finished, but there's incredible music on it.

iavi

Lens is so annoying.

It's an amazing song that seems to end while in the midst of that crazy sultry crescendo. Maybe there's a thematic move there I'm not getting, but damn

Still easily my fav of the three new singles released so far.

Lens > Chanel > Biking

Pavaloo

Damn I didn't know there were people that don't enjoy Tyler's verse on Biking, it might be my favourite part.

Right now for me it's Chanel > Biking > Lens

But damn I'm just happy how frequently Frank is releasing stuff

Lens is pretty dreary for me, sound like an Endless b-side, Biking was much better.

Damn I didn't know there were people that don't enjoy Tyler's verse on Biking, it might be my favourite part.
It's weird how his verse got cut short, makes the ending sound awkward...
sggqn6xl9bqy.jpg

We're about 8 months removed from Blonde. I'm going to chalk it up as an all-time favorite for me. I cannot express my love for it in words.

Tall4Life

I still haven't really gotten into Blonde, I think I'm gonna listen while reading the lyrics and that might help

because otherwise the album doesn't....sound too pleasing to me right now, I guess

hokahey

Channel Orange is a top ten all time album for me. Nostalgia is up there. But I can't get in to Blonde or any of his new singles. Feels bad man.

Blader

I agree about Tyler, but I actually liked Jay's part on Biking.

giga

Speaking of Endless, is there any way to actually buy individual songs from that album? Or is the full length apple music video stream the only way? At least we have slide on me, or at least a version of it now.

I'm the opposite I think Tyler's verse is part on what makes that song , I'm still convinced Jay Z being on that track is a mistake and his verse ruins that song .

ditto

I loved tylers part on biking

3 artists using bikes as a jump off point to other thoughts and Jay Z yellin WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND made me laugh though

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Slide On Me is just one of his songs from Endless with the Thugger verse thrown on it, not that I mind because it was one of my favourite parts of Endless.

Tall4Life

I've come around on Chanel, I really like it now... Really enjoying Lens as well on the first listen. Still can't get into Biking or Slide.

I think my issue has been that I keep expecting Frank to be like Channel Orange Frank Ocean again, when it's obvious at this point that he's going in a totally different direction. I'm slowly coming around to it

He might be under some contract with Apple to put out new music.

Throwing these together pretty quick.
I doubt it.

Considering how much frank hates restrictions like that at Def Jam, I don't see why Apple would force him into another situation like that. Here's a thought. Maybe he's doing this because he wants to?

chaislip3

I think it was in the New York Times article where he said that he's in a place where he doesn't need to release an album and he can just put out songs whenever he wants

Blader

What restrictions did he have at Def Jam? I keep reading about how desperate Frank was to get out of his contract (which must have just been a two-album deal? :lol) but the guy went four years without a new release and three years without a tour, and his recording process for Blonde and Endless sounds like he was just fucking around the world, living life and recording shit here and there. So what was the big deal?

giga

Clearly Frank is making a mockery of Def Jam/UMG by releasing free songs over a free radio station instead of making them money.

Boy is wild.

Love everything Frank has put out recently, but Slide on Me is perhaps one of the greatest songs any artist could come out with this decade. Both this remix and the original. The instrumental, melodies, the lyrics and the vocals, how the entire thing from start to finish is literally so musical to the ear. This song is some legendary musical perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom