• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE to a good home" thread |20XX Edition| No begging, requests, or taking advantage

Salsa

1) Pick a game that made you completely immersed in its world.

2) Tell me what non-gameplay details the designers used to create their setting, and why these were effective to you. Be as detailed as possible.

3) Briefly describe a setting which has either been underrepresented or entirely absent in games.

gonna pick a recent one on purpose rather than downright the "best" one ive experienced

1) Alan Wake

2) Speaking strictly about setting, the game used many resources to create what felt like a living world to me. A living forest or a living town. Details from the sound design to the breathtaking lighting gave the game a sense of wonder and discovery that actually immersed me to the point where i actually felt the game world was much bigger than it actually was.

It wasnt an open world game, there was a strict path with a very straight direction i had to follow (with a few branching ones), but it felt to me like the forest could go on forever. I never fell into one of those game breaking moments where you find the limitations, the tricks they pulled, and how they are fooling you and trying to make you feel immersed, curious, lost and even scared, this game actually pulled it off in a way i had rarely seen before, maybe in a game like Silent Hill 2.

Everything about it felt really natural. The actual path you had to follow was displayed in a way that actually made you want to follow it, it flowed with the storyline amazingly well and i guess that in words it can just be narrowed to the fact that i was fully immersed by every crafted aspect of it. Its an experience that felt bigger than what i played of it.

It doesnt go that far in terms of what it can be done with games in terms of storytelling or exploration, but it does go far in showing what games can do for immersion, and for making you wonder about that exploration, about what happens there, and give you an experience that rewards you enough to feel satisfied in playing your part, your story, in a bigger world.

3) I think its not really a question of what settings havent been explored but rather what settings havent been properly explored in making you feel like the game is taking advantage of them rather than using them as a simple storytelling tool. I'd argue that you rarely feel in space in Mass Effect (except for some moments), for example.

Alan wake was a big one with the forest for me, and i think another setting i wish would be explored as much was the country. A non-urban tale like Red Dead Redemption or Fallout New Vegas for example only it doesnt have to be set in a specific time pice but rather in a specific place in the (why not) present day.

edit: gaahh you really gave me little time D:

welp its there to read anyway, congrats pikma and Izick

Izick

gonna pick a recent one on purpose rather than downright the "best" one ive experienced

1) Alan Wake

2) Speaking strictly about setting, the game used many resources to create what felt like a living world to me. A living forest or a living town. Details from the sound design to the breathtaking lighting gave the game a sense of wonder and discovery that actually immersed me to the point where i actually felt the game world was much bigger than it actually was.

It wasnt an open world game, there was a strict path with a very straight direction i had to follow (with a few branching ones), but it felt to me like the forest could go on forever. I never fell into one of those game breaking moments where you find the limitations, the tricks they pulled, and how they are fooling you and trying to make you feel immersed, curious, lost and even scared, this game actually pulled it off in a way i had rarely seen before, maybe in a game like Silent Hill 2.

Everything about it felt really natural. The actual path you had to follow was displayed in a way that actually made you want to follow it, it flowed with the storyline amazingly well and i guess that in words it can just be narrowed to the fact that i was fully immersed by every crafted aspect of it. Its an experience that felt bigger than what i played of it.

It doesnt go that far in terms of what it can be done with games in terms of storytelling or exploration, but it does go far in showing what games can do for immersion, and for making you wonder about that exploration, about what happens there, and give you an experience that rewards you enough to feel satisfied in playing your part, your story, in a bigger world.

3) I think its not really a question of what settings havent been explored but rather what settings havent been properly explored in making you feel like the game is taking advantage of them rather than using them as a simple storytelling tool. I'd argue that you rarely feel in space in Mass Effect (except for some moments), for example.

Alan wake was a big one with the forest for me, and i think another setting i wish would be explored as much was the country. A non-urban tale like Red Dead Redemption or Fallout New Vegas for example only it doesnt have to be set in a specific time pice but rather in a specific place in the (why not) present day.

edit: gaahh you really gave me little time D:

welp its there to read anyway, congrats pikma and Izick

No, I didn't get one, I just did it for fun, so he may still give you one, Salsa!

I have a steam code for Dirt: Showdown. First person to answer the following piece of Simpsons trivia gets it. What is the name of Bart's best friends dad and why was he fired from his job? Bonus cool points if you answer it without using the Googles.

Watevaman

I have a steam code for Dirt: Showdown. First person to answer the following piece of Simpsons trivia gets it. What is the name of Bart's best friends dad and why was he fired from his job? Bonus cool points if you answer it without using the Googles.

His name is Kirk and he lost his job because he wanted a divorce.

Late but Kirk VanHouten and he was fired because a divorced family is not a family image the cracker factory wants to portray. But at least he sleeps in a race car.

Wark

His name is Kirk Van Houten and he was fired because he wanted to divorce his wife (the bosses daughter).

EDIT: Oh, I was late. :(

Clydefrog

WavFY.jpg

"I sleep in a racing car, do you?"

edit: damnit Xeno Flux

Kirk Van Houten, because Southern Cracker didn't wanna know if single people eat crackers.

"I don't recall saying 'good luck'".

RS4-

Captain Kirk Van Houten? Uhh, which job? I think I'll go with the divorce caused him to have a breakdown (much like the past 10+ years of the Simpsons series), thus getting fired?

His name is Kirk and he lost his job because he wanted a divorce.

Check your PM inbox.

"Kirk, crackers are a family food - happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers, we don't know. Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without."

Edit:

To everyone else, thanks for playing. I'll be back with more Simpsons trivia next time I have a code to give out.

Watevaman

Check your PM inbox.

"Kirk, crackers are a family food - happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers, we don't know. Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without."

Edit:

To everyone else, thanks for playing. I'll be back with more Simpsons trivia next time I have a code to give out.

Thanks!

iNvid02

i have some gunnars and like them quite a bit, they definitely do everything they advertise and once your eyes get accustomed to them there seems to be less eye strain for sure

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So, not exactly sure this is the right place to post, but there will be "free stuff" for the few people who win.

Running a comp to giveaway some stuff to help celebrate our 15 year(!) anniversary at Sidhe. Pretty much just need to comment on the competition post on Facebook to enter.

481160_10150982870227457_115850937456_12260883_308433272_n.jpg

I don't expect the comp to be heavily subscribed, so decent chance of picking up a prize.

Sajjaja

So, not exactly sure this is the right place to post, but there will be "free stuff" for the few people who win.

Running a comp to giveaway some stuff to help celebrate our 15 year(!) anniversary at Sidhe. Pretty much just need to comment on the competition post on Facebook to enter.

I don't expect the comp to be heavily subscribed, so decent chance of picking up a prize.

Sweet. Would it be possible to get Shatter on PSN or is it PC only in the competition?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sweet. Would it be possible to get Shatter on PSN or is it PC only in the competition?

We don't have any codes for Shatter on PSN unfortunately, just on PC.

We give away something physical every Thursday at midday NZ time, alternating between the Sidhe and PikPok Facebook pages. Digital codes we just give away at random other times.

Sajjaja

We don't have any codes for Shatter on PSN unfortunately, just on PC.

We give away something physical every Thursday at midday NZ time, alternating between the Sidhe and PikPok Facebook pages. Digital codes we just give away at random other times.

That's pretty awesome of you guys to do.

gabbo

Damn, that's one way to celebrate an anniversary

kodt

Banned
Anyone in the Chicago area want a bunch of old PC game boxes (no games, just the boxes)? I am moving and want to get rid of them, off the top of my head I have:

Unreal + manual
Unreal Mission Pack
Unreal Tournement
Civilization II + tech tree and user manual
Alpha Centauri + tech tree and user manual
Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire
Sim City 2000
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Age of Empires II
Midtown Madness
Half Life: GOTY
Delta Force
Delta Force: Land Warrior
Pharaoh
Pharaoh: Cleopatra
Morrowind*
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter*

*These are the smaller size boxes, all others are the old large format boxes

I would prefer to unload the entire set, free if you come pick it up.

Top Bottom