• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE to a good home" thread |20XX Edition| No begging, requests, or taking advantage

If anyone needs an Uncharted 3 Online pass, I have 1.
PM for code :)

*EDIT*
Code gone to bigol.

May have some more PSN codes somewhere. I'll post when I find em.

JiliK

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of unwanted Steam codes to give away via PM. To keep things fair, I'm imposing a limit of two codes per member - first come, first served. If one of the games you want is already gone, too bad. :D

Here's what I've got:

A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda
Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Greed: Black Border
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Scratches: Director's Cut
Sol Survivor
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

I'll send out the codes when I get the chance, probably sometime tomorrow.

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of unwanted Steam codes to give away via PM. To keep things fair, I'm imposing a limit of two codes per user - first come, first served. If one of the games you want is already gone, too bad. :D

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

Hacker Evolution?

stufte

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of unwanted Steam codes to give away via PM. To keep things fair, I'm imposing a limit of two codes per user - first come, first served. If one of the games you want is already gone, too bad. :D

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

Greed: Black Border Plz?

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

bunch of heroes would be appreciated

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

Could I get Cloning Clyde, please?

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

Wasteland Angel?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

ARES, brother!

gabbo

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of unwanted Steam codes to give away via PM. To keep things fair, I'm imposing a limit of two codes per member - first come, first served. If one of the games you want is already gone, too bad. :D

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

If Critical Mass is still free, I'd love to take a shot at that.

Vlad

Kinda. Was just how I interpreted it. If I'm wrong, no games for me. ;)

You're not the only one :)

Thing is, the second line about "if one of the games you want is already gone" makes me think that that's actually what he intended. If he wanted people to just post in the thread, then they'd already know if the game they wanted was taken or not.

JiliK

He is giving the codes away via PM, not telling us to PM him. Or at least that's what I gather from his post.

No, Stupacabra is right. I wanted you guys to PM me. It's just easier to sort through them than through a bunch of posts. But it's a bit late for that now. :D

Okay, based on the order that people have asked for stuff so far (up to 10:34 BST), giving preference to the guys that did PM me, here's who's gotten what:

A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda -> Sunflower
Bunch of Heroes -> JackFrost
Cloning Clyde -> The Grim Heaper
Critical Mass -> gabbo
Future Wars -> Darknight
Greed: Black Border -> stutte
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes -> Darknight
Hacker Evolution ->Ventilaator
Lume -> Speevy
Osmos
Plain Sight -> Baha
Really Big Sky -> Vlad
Scratches: Director's Cut -> Hofmann
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead -> Taco_Human
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser -> Taco_Human
Wasteland Angel -> Death31133

Nairume

Banned
No, Stupacabra is right. I wanted you guys to PM me. It's just easier to sort through them than through a bunch of posts. But it's a bit late for that now. :D

Okay, based on the order that people have asked for stuff so far (up to 10:34 BST), giving preference to the guys that did PM me, here's who's gotten what:

Critical Mass -> gabbo
Future Wars -> Darknight
Lume -> Speevy
Osmos
Plain Sight -> Baha
Really Big Sky -> Vlad
Sol Survivor
Twin Sector
Has Sol Survivor been claimed in a PM yet?

The first FORTY-TWO Americans (sorry I'm only wasting a single postage stamp on each of these) to quote this post and then PM me their shipping info will be mailed this pack of three Kid Icarus Uprising AR Idol cards.
CDhWH.jpg

If you still have a pack, I'd love one.

JiliK

Has Sol Survivor been claimed in a PM yet?

I'm afraid so.

Updated list:

Critical Mass -> gabbo
Future Wars -> Darknight
Lume -> Speevy
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals -> nexen
Osmos -> Out_Of_Ammo
Plain Sight -> Baha
Really Big Sky -> Vlad
Sol Survivor -> oipic
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution -> Tambini
Twin Sector

Only Twin Sector left now.

Troll

Banned
I'm afraid so.

Updated list:

Critical Mass -> gabbo
Future Wars -> Darknight
Lume -> Speevy
Osmos -> Out_Of_Ammo
Plain Sight -> Baha
Really Big Sky -> Vlad
Sol Survivor -> oipic
Twin Sector

Come on guys, free is free! Someone pick it up.

I'm afraid so.

Updated list:

Critical Mass -> gabbo
Future Wars -> Darknight
Lume -> Speevy
Osmos -> Out_Of_Ammo
Plain Sight -> Baha
Really Big Sky -> Vlad
Sol Survivor -> oipic
Twin Sector

I'll take Twin Sector. Nvm. Forgot to F5. -_-

IMACOMPUTA

I've got 2 steam codes that I would like to give to a better home.

Hitman: Codename 47

and

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Giving these away because I bought the pack and only wanted Blood Money. I know I won't play these, but if you actually will -- quote this message and pick one.

This thread rules!

jbueno

and

Giving these away because I bought the pack and only wanted Blood Money. I know I won't play these, but if you actually will -- quote this message and pick one.

This thread rules!

Hitman 2 please. And thanks a lot!

EDIT: IMACOMPUTA came through, and quicker than I expected too. Dowloading as I type this. Again, much appreciated.

RetroGreg

and

This thread rules!

Codename 47?

Here's what I've got:

Bunch of Heroes
Cloning Clyde
Critical Mass
Future Wars
Hacker Evolution
Lume
Osmos
Plain Sight
Really Big Sky
Sol Survivor
Trapped Dead
Twin Sector
Vertex Dispenser
Wasteland Angel

Thanks for the game! Wanted to say thanks via PM but... your inbox is full.

Critical Mass -> gabbo
Future Wars -> Darknight
Lume -> Speevy
Osmos
Plain Sight -> Baha
Really Big Sky -> Vlad
Sol Survivor
Twin Sector

Thanks for Osmos ;)

Pikma

Banned
1) Demon's Souls

2) Every part of the enviroment felt alive, the sound, the atmosphere and as you mention, the views, even if you couldn't reach all you could see, it totally felt like it was a complete world, and by playing, you were part of it, it's the most immersive experience I've ever had in a game. One area that stands out for me is the very first one, the Boletarian Palace, from the beginning you can see many areas that form part of the castle, but you can't reach or at least not yet. Seeing the dragons rest from far away really helps you to realize how insignificant and inoffensive you are in this world.

3) A Realistic Snowy Forest, the nearest example of this would be RDR but I think that was too small to feel like something more outstanding, what I would love to see and interact with is a really really big forest, full of bears, pumas, birds, blinding snowstorms and the feel of isolation that these conditions bring.

Izick

Okay, free game $4.99 or less (your choice) to the first person who answers the following question to my satisfaction.

Often a video game's setting can reveal a great deal about the world its characters inhabit. Sure, a game's protagonist shoots, slashes, and casts their way to victory, but without a memorable setting, you're less likely to enjoy these actions.

Some might call a game "immersive" or "atmospheric" in an attempt to describe a sense of place. The game draws you in and regardless of whether you're targeting foes, you want to stay for a while longer.

Details such as a turning windmill or a distant castle leave a lasting impression on you regardless of whether you are able to interact with these things. Sound design is perhaps equally important in creating a game's world.

So here's the question.

1) Pick a game that made you completely immersed in its world.

2) Tell me what non-gameplay details the designers used to create their setting, and why these were effective to you. Be as detailed as possible.

3) Briefly describe a setting which has either been underrepresented or entirely absent in games.

1. + 2.)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I know a lot of people are probably in awe, or confused, but hear me out. Playing Oblivion was basically one of my fondest gamimg memories. I poured limitless hours into it. The world was one of those reasons as to what made it so memorable in my eyes. You start out in this completely creep, moody, dank sewer system, and after fighting your way out, you open the door, and as the light blinds your eyes, you see this vast surrounding area, this beautiful coastline. Water, sand, buildings, and forest lay in front of you. A mixture of things to come in your adventure. This single shot is ingrained in my memory.

After a while, you truly get to see the world for what it is. It's fantasy at its purest form. Stone buildings, towers, roads all surround you, as alien objects among this lush greenland. Deep forests that hide creatures, bandits, and secrets. Every town having a unique identity, from a huge capital city built almost fully out of stones, extending into the skies, a sea-town, that had a beautiful port, with the sunlight always washing over, another put up deep into the mountains, filled with snow and bitter coldness, all the houses huddled together, almost as if they were clinging for warmth, to a beautiful town in a perpetual Summer, with beautiful terraces and mini-bridges, and finally a town in completer ruin after a recent attack.

You see, while the visuals were fantastic, the game really set itself apart by the innovations of the time. The AI was something nobody had seen done so well, with townsfolk doing daily deeds, talking to others, and sleeping just as if they were alive. Animals would clash with others, regardless of the player getting involved, and sometimes rival humanoid factions or groups would clash. All of these AI functions running in the background was something that was unexpected, and it really sold the game as something that truly showcased the 360's power.

Even with all of that, there was just a mood to the whole game. It never was necessarily dark, as it always had brightness and enjoyment in it, but it could always go there if it wanted to. The lore felt like it had weight, the races were fleshed out, there were prejudices and alliances, sometimes only caught to the more observant player. There are rumors of guilds who dedicated themselves to thievery, or even murder, but the people are not sure what's true, or what is just gossiping rumor. It all builds up together to make something that's special, and all these factors are what make questing just a bit more fun. The Dark Brotherhood quests were always just a bit more fun because you had heard about these people before, but now you were one of these people. You were the rumors. The same goes for the thieves guild, and its fantastic final reward for your work.

Everything just clicked for me, and that's why Oblivion is still one of my favorite games ever. I know some people think it's generic compared to Morrowind, but I still think that it's a damn special game, and an amazing setting.

3.)

This was a tough question. I think that a lot of settings have been given a great deal of respect, even those I would have never expected. If I had to pick a setting that I wanted to see more of, it would have to be the idea of a wasteland, or post-apocalyptic world. I feel like there's so many more unique gameplay ideas that feel organic within this setting that just don't get utilized. I really was curious about the idea of seeing "I am Alive," where fighting was over water, or likely food, instead of money or weapons. I feel like while this sounds like it could be tedious, there's a primal instinct within all people that understand that sometimes the stakes are raised to their highest when people are willing to kill simply for bottled water or bread. There's something really tangible about that, its something that people could see themselves do if they were put in this kind of situation. No zombies, no monsters, no demons, but rather people, or sometime, the scariest thing that we all fear, the thought that we are completely alone.

Izick

Hey don't worry about a steam ID for me, as I don't even have a gaming PC, I just wanted to do it for fun. I really like your questions, so I figured I'd throw my hat in. :)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, free game $4.99 or less (your choice) to the first person who answers the following question to my satisfaction.

Often a video game's setting can reveal a great deal about the world its characters inhabit. Sure, a game's protagonist shoots, slashes, and casts their way to victory, but without a memorable setting, you're less likely to enjoy these actions.

Some might call a game "immersive" or "atmospheric" in an attempt to describe a sense of place. The game draws you in and regardless of whether you're targeting foes, you want to stay for a while longer.

Details such as a turning windmill or a distant castle leave a lasting impression on you regardless of whether you are able to interact with these things. Sound design is perhaps equally important in creating a game's world.

So here's the question.

1) Pick a game that made you completely immersed in its world.

2) Tell me what non-gameplay details the designers used to create their setting, and why these were effective to you. Be as detailed as possible.

3) Briefly describe a setting which has either been underrepresented or entirely absent in games.

Oh, I like these kinds of questions:

1) My pick is Silent Hill 1, I beat it recently and was blown away.
2) I find that the fog is the what makes SH1 so unique. In this game you're hopeless, with little clue on where to go and what to do. That sense of loneliness is enhanced by the fact that usually you don't see anything 3 feet ahead of you. So, when something comes up to you, the reaction time is very limited. This kept me on my toes all the time.
3) One of the things that makes SH1 so scary, is that things can change when you're backtracking: most modern games usually respawn the same enemies in the exact locations where you left them dead just 3 seconds ago.
In Silent Hill you can find quite a few surprises when you go back to some rooms you recently explored. This really takes away that feeling of safety once you've beaten the enemies in an area. You never know what to expect after each door, regardless whether you were there before or not.

Top Bottom