• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars - Import |OT| War, what is it good for? A HOVERBOARD!!!!

FrankCaron

So I'm thinking about picking up the US version on Tuesday, and I have a question.

I put a shit ton of time into Soul Sacrifice Delta, but I didn't love it to death; it was the best monster hunting game I've played, but the genre really isn't my favourite, largely because the RPG mechanics tend to be somewhat weaker than a true RPG (less skill-based character customization, less leveling-related progression) and because the single player is usually abysmal.

How does Freedom Wars stack up on those fronts?

MSMrRound

B0zLhcJCcAEQUCx.jpg

Jun Yoshizawa (Producer) was pretty animated during his Freedom Wars stage event today at Singapore's GameStart 2014 event.

Two lucky sods got Propaganda-kun shirts signed by the team, while one guy joined the Vita family by winning a Blue/Black Vita 2000 set.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So I'm thinking about picking up the US version on Tuesday, and I have a question.

I put a shit ton of time into Soul Sacrifice Delta, but I didn't love it to death; it was the best monster hunting game I've played, but the genre really isn't my favourite, largely because the RPG mechanics tend to be somewhat weaker than a true RPG (less skill-based character customization, less leveling-related progression) and because the single player is usually abysmal.

How does Freedom Wars stack up on those fronts?

Story isnt anywhere as good as Soul Sacrifice or God Eater.

Game mechanics are ok, though enemy variety is highly lacking.

Most def a title to play with friends though. It is highly possible and not that difficult to solo the story mode. Just that some design choices with the story progression will drive folks insane.

Soulhouf

Ibara = Thorn

I totally forgot about that. The ibara attack expression confused me. I thought there were a weapon with that.
Actually I can't use it against small enemies because you need to aim and/or lock on and lock on is terrible in this game.

I finally managed to beat it though but not by fighting.
A general advice for people who are planning to play the game and beat it (if there are any lol) : don't attack during the solo missions where you have to go from point A to point B. Just run. It's much more effective like that.

Parakeetman

I totally forgot about that. The ibara attack expression confused me. I thought there were a weapon with that.
Actually I can't use it against small enemies because you need to aim and/or lock on and lock on is terrible in this game.

I finally managed to beat it though but not by fighting.
A general advice for people who are planning to play the game and beat it (if there are any lol) : don't attack during the solo missions where you have to go from point A to point B. Just run. It's much more effective like that.

Its not that its terrible, I think it is more you are not familiar with using it. Since the easiest way to get rid of humanoid enemies outside of using a sniper rifle and shooting fuckers in the head is to use a spear and lock on / ibara attack which is a boosting thrust with the spear by far the best weapon to use against humanoid enemies as the attack goes exactly in front of you, where as the others are way too slow. From there just switch back to your ranged weapon and finish them off. There will be one mission where most def having a spear will help you out. Not saying what, but am sure you will understand once you get there.

Lock on is more useless on large things with multiple target zones really since switching parts is a bit of a mess, which is why I only use it against humanoid targets if I even decide to engage them with a melee weapon being the lance.

Outside from that its not too hard to kill them with the standard AR and aim for the head. If you are on a map that has wide open spaces and its just dealing with humanoid opponents sniper rifle most def.

Dont try to use something like the flame thrower on the AI. As how the AI works in the game is they will start to pepper the shit out of you once you are in range of whatever they are equipped with.

Soulhouf

Its not that its terrible, I think it is more you are not familiar with using it. Since the easiest way to get rid of humanoid enemies outside of using a sniper rifle and shooting fuckers in the head is to use a spear and lock on / ibara attack which is a boosting thrust with the spear by far the best weapon to use against humanoid enemies as the attack goes exactly in front of you, where as the others are way too slow. From there just switch back to your ranged weapon and finish them off. There will be one mission where most def having a spear will help you out. Not saying what, but am sure you will understand once you get there.

Lock on is more useless on large things with multiple target zones really since switching parts is a bit of a mess, which is why I only use it against humanoid targets if I even decide to engage them with a melee weapon being the lance.

Outside from that its not too hard to kill them with the standard AR and aim for the head. If you are on a map that has wide open spaces and its just dealing with humanoid opponents sniper rifle most def.

Dont try to use something like the flame thrower on the AI. As how the AI works in the game is they will start to pepper the shit out of you once you are in range of whatever they are equipped with.

I think small enemies showed some flaws that were invisible when fighting big monsters.
I'm a melee player most of the time and only switch to guns occasionally against the more threatening Abductors when it's dangerous to get close.

As you mentioned lock-on multiple target monsters is a mess. Developers forgot to keep the order of switching consistent with what you see. But actually I have another issue with small targets. Since you have to maintain the lock-on and the target needs to be in your reticle to be locked on, the time I need to do it is usually longer than what it should be.
In large maps I never had issues though since my AI allies always do the job very well.

I feel the game engine was made with big enemies in large areas in mind. That's why the missions in small areas against human enemies feel a letdown compared to the others.

Soulhouf

There will be one mission where most def having a spear will help you out. Not saying what, but am sure you will understand once you get there.

I just beat that mission you're talking about. At first I thought it's very hard until I remembered I could set traps and everything went so smoothly without any effort.
The other one is actually much harder because of how the level is designed.

I think that outside how the camera/lock-on work, they could make the combat more enjoyable by giving you a few i-frames when rolling and 1-2 seconds of invincibility when you spawn. Getting stunlocked in succession without being able to escape is a pain in the ass.

With that said, I'm pretty sure many of these imperfections will be fixed in the next iteration whether it's a director's cut of some kind or a sequel..

they could make the combat more enjoyable by giving you a few i-frames when rolling and 1-2 seconds of invincibility when you spawn. Getting stunlocked in succession without being able to escape is a pain in the ass.

Players actually gave these feedback to the devs. And the developers just went "no, the game is perfectly fine. It's difficult - something you can overcome with hard work* and cooperating with others**." This was before any balance patch was in.

They translates to me as:
* - you should grind moar
** - get your friends to buy this shit

I have experienced getting double-hit by missiles right after I was revived. I didn't even see my character move an inch before dying again. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to survive even with one Defense boosters (Abductor+) unless you also have the Defense Ibara's buff.

This is off-topic, but I could've sworn there was another Vita game that looked really similar to this (post-apocolyptic future, lots of white/grey in color pallette), but was an SRPG. I just remember seeing a trailer for it around the time when this game launched in Japan, and totally thought they were the same game for some reason.

Anyone know what I'm thinking of? Tried looking for Vita SRPG games and just got a bunch of forum threads recommending Disgaea :\ Not sure if it ever got a US release.

vocab

This is off-topic, but I could've sworn there was another Vita game that looked really similar to this (post-apocolyptic future, lots of white/grey in color pallette), but was an SRPG. I just remember seeing a trailer for it around the time when this game launched in Japan, and totally thought they were the same game for some reason.

Anyone know what I'm thinking of? Tried looking for Vita SRPG games and just got a bunch of forum threads recommending Disgaea :\ Not sure if it ever got a US release.

GAME-0011105.jpg

nikos

Trying to decide whether I should pick this up, even with my gigantic backlog (especially on Vita).

I'm not a fan of Monster Hunter, and I'm not sure how similar this is to that, but the game's premise and art style really appeal to me. Combat looks pretty good, from what I've seen, as well.

Soulhouf

Players actually gave these feedback to the devs. And the developers just went "no, the game is perfectly fine. It's difficult - something you can overcome with hard work* and cooperating with others**." This was before any balance patch was in.

They translates to me as:
* - you should grind moar
** - get your friends to buy this shit

I have experienced getting double-hit by missiles right after I was revived. I didn't even see my character move an inch before dying again. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to survive even with one Defense boosters (Abductor+) unless you also have the Defense Ibara's buff.

Well, the fact that it was meant to be like that is reassuring because that means they know what they are doing, except they weren't able to do it well.
Solving the technical issues, how the lock on and camera behaves and some physics would definitely improve the game a lot and make it more enjoyable under these restrictions.
As I said, we'll have to wait for the next iteration to get a more polished game.

Parakeetman

Well, the fact that it was meant to be like that is reassuring because that means they know what they are doing, except they weren't able to do it well.
Solving the technical issues, how the lock on and camera behaves and some physics would definitely improve the game a lot and make it more enjoyable under these restrictions.
As I said, we'll have to wait for the next iteration to get a more polished game.

Problem is with the experience that the studio behind it is, they should have had a polished title from the start. What seems to be the real issue is they have someone in charge who has no clue as to what they are doing with what a mess the game turned out to be on various levels...

Problem is with the experience that the studio behind it is, they should have had a polished title from the start. What seems to be the real issue is they have someone in charge who has no clue as to what they are doing with what a mess the game turned out to be on various levels...

I agree, as they had Shift on board I assumed it would have been a well polished game based on their past experience with GE2. It was, to some extent though.

Soulhouf

I failed my first attempt against what looks like the last boss.
I won't try again with my current setting because redoing all the previous levels would be a pain in the ass and I'm sure I will fail again at least a couple of times.

It's time to grind I guess?

Parakeetman

I failed my first attempt against what looks like the last boss.
I won't try again with my current setting because redoing all the previous levels would be a pain in the ass and I'm sure I will fail again at least a couple of times.

It's time to grind I guess?

yeah if your damage output isnt cutting it go collect a bunch of weapons for the modules. and yeah grind for those upgrade parts.

Fhoenix

Or just upgrade the rank of your NPCs. While they are not good against that type of abductor they still can kill it. You only really need a good weapon against the Tenbatsu version.

Soulhouf

yeah if your damage output isnt cutting it go collect a bunch of weapons for the modules. and yeah grind for those upgrade parts.

Or just upgrade the rank of your NPCs. While they are not good against that type of abductor they still can kill it. You only really need a good weapon against the Tenbatsu version.

Yeah I'm working on getting 2 NPCs to rank 7 at least.
I will also take advantage of the boosters for the first time. I managed to go through the entire game without them. Now that will help me a lot.
Also I never used healing items before so that will be an important addition as well.

Parakeetman

Yeah I'm working on getting 2 NPCs to rank 7 at least.
I will also take advantage of the boosters for the first time. I managed to go through the entire game without them. Now that will help me a lot.
Also I never used healing items before so that will bean important addition as well.

boosters are quite useful so most def make use of them. healing items will help out for the endgame missions. until you get a pretty strong firearm such as the barbara powered up to max will be in for some crazy fights.

stay away from corners too on maps as the ai will corner kill you. makes it harder for your accessory to reach you also

on the harder missions the last thing you want is for your accessory to get captured. doesnt help the enemy can capture a downed accessory from a distance too.

those flash bangs are great for getting yourself away from crowds. landmines are not as useful as they were initially in the story mode so i didnt really use them endgame against the abductors. but using the antipersonnel ones are great for capture and protect missions sticking them in front of the paths you know the enemy ai run when they have a civilian.

Soulhouf

boosters are quite useful so most def make use of them. healing items will help out for the endgame missions. until you get a pretty strong firearm such as the barbara powered up to max will be in for some crazy fights.

stay away from corners too on maps as the ai will corner kill you. makes it harder for your accessory to reach you also

on the harder missions the last thing you want is for your accessory to get captured. doesnt help the enemy can capture a downed accessory from a distance too.

those flash bangs are great for getting yourself away from crowds. landmines are not as useful as they were initially in the story mode so i didnt really use them endgame against the abductors. but using the antipersonnel ones are great for capture and protect missions sticking them in front of the paths you know the enemy ai run when they have a civilian.

Thanks for the tips!
Speaking of items, do the decoy dolls work to draw the abductor's attention?

Parakeetman

Thanks for the tips!
Speaking of items, do the decoy dolls work to draw the abductor's attention?

it should but i never really bothered with using it much lol. try it out! i used to grenade spam things besides having a surplus of medical and ammo with me.

Decoy Mines explode on "impact". If it really is the final boss we're talking about, I can't imagine it being a gamechanger.

I believe it also follows the hate system, because one of the times I was playing with it, the enemies completely ignored every decoy I placed and they exploded at nothing. I probably had more hate than whatever the Decoy has.

Soulhouf

I finally beat it last night!
At first I oriented my boosters for attack but it didn't work, I was close though so I changed it to full defense (more HP, more defense and revive) and switched an attacker with Uwe and that saved my ass.
It was a fantastic battle.

The game has some good and bad but I ended up liking it. I won't recommend it but anyone who can go through the flaws to find the good points will enjoy it.
Hopefully the next title (because there will be a next one) will be more polished.

Parakeetman

I finally beat it last night!
At first I oriented my boosters for attack but it didn't work, I was close though so I changed it to full defense (more HP, more defense and revive) and switched an attacker with Uwe and that saved my ass.
It was a fantastic battle.

The game has some good and bad but I ended up liking it. I won't recommend it but anyone who can go through the flaws to find the good points will enjoy it.
Hopefully the next title (because there will be a next one) will be more polished.

Nice lol. The SP stuff isnt that bad now you can start doing the harder tenbatsu missions, but then you will most def need the upgraded weapons.

Soulhouf

Is there a recommended path to upgrade that spear you get at the end?
Since there are only one, I'm worried to use it the wrong way.

Parakeetman

Is there a recommended path to upgrade that spear you get at the end?
Since there are only one, I'm worried to use it the wrong way.

Which spear?

ロンギヌス?

If so you can produce them later on.

With the spear you are better off shoving damage and cage damage onto it. Crit too if you have space. Though truthfully you will do far more damage with firearms since trying to use the spears charge moves takes way too much time. You will mostly be flying back and forth using the ibara to latch onto then flying stab attack. Am pretty sure that spear has that move? Its been a while since I played. Most def go for the cage damage upgrade since the other parts are not as useful and depending on the enemy certain sections are harder to hit. But the cage being destroyed causes a decent stun / knockdown time for the abductor which makes it worth just focusing on that.

Dont actually latch onto the enemy and attempt to stab at it with the spear since just like the large weapons it doesnt work too well.

Soulhouf

Which spear?

ロンギヌス?

If so you can produce them later on.

With the spear you are better off shoving damage and cage damage onto it. Crit too if you have space. Though truthfully you will do far more damage with firearms since trying to use the spears charge moves takes way too much time. You will mostly be flying back and forth using the ibara to latch onto then flying stab attack. Am pretty sure that spear has that move? Its been a while since I played. Most def go for the cage damage upgrade since the other parts are not as useful and depending on the enemy certain sections are harder to hit. But the cage being destroyed causes a decent stun / knockdown time for the abductor which makes it worth just focusing on that.

Dont actually latch onto the enemy and attempt to stab at it with the spear since just like the large weapons it doesnt work too well.

Yes, ロンギヌス
In general spears are my favorite melee weapons. They have the speed and I can't live without that jump anymore lol.
Additionally, ロンギヌス has a lovely moveset which makes it even better than any other spear in that regard, and yes it has the flying stab attack as well.

It's true that firearms are better but I have much more fun using a spear and since you can equip 2 weapons, why not have both?

Anyway, thanks for the help, I will go for the shoving and cage damage.

Parakeetman

Yes, ロンギヌス
In general spears are my favorite melee weapons. They have the speed and I can't live without that jump anymore lol.
Additionally, ロンギヌス has a lovely moveset which makes it even better than any other spear in that regard, and yes it has the flying stab attack as well.

It's true that firearms are better but I have much more fun using a spear and since you can equip 2 weapons, why not have both?

Anyway, thanks for the help, I will go for the shoving and cage damage.

Yeah I noticed that charge / throw move does a lot of damage too though you hardly have the chance to use it since the charge time is way too long.

Spear with the attach / thrust attack is fantastic for taking out humanoid enemies though. Used it on the mission against
Natalia

baekshi

Banned
New Patch

http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/freedomwars/playersinfo/2014/11/update007.html

以下の不具合を修正しました。

フェロー咎人数が実際より多く表示されることがある不具合の修正。
「咎人序列」>「協力ボランティア参加回数」、「敵地侵攻貢献序列」のランキングにおいて、誤った数値が表示されることがある不具合の修正。
※詳細についてはこちらをご参照ください。

Ranking stability

Soulhouf

I'm looking for some 人工ダンパー:弐脚丙型 for my upgrade. Most of the sites are pointing to 5-8, 6-5 and 7-7 but I can't find the materials in those.

Can someone help me please?

Parakeetman

I'm looking for some 人工ダンパー:弐脚丙型 for my upgrade. Most of the sites are pointing to 5-8, 6-5 and 7-7 but I can't find the materials in those.

Can someone help me please?

You need to go into mission 5-8 it seems and keep attacking the arm part of the target till you can no longer lock on to any parts of it is what JP wikis are saying.

Make sure you dont bring along characters that will go and rescue the hostages on their own also.

You need to go into mission 5-8 it seems and keep attacking the arm part of the target till you can no longer lock on to any parts of it is what JP wikis are saying.

That'd be legs.

I'm pretty sure ダンパー are for legs. At least I remember hunting ones from Koushin.

Soulhouf

Thanks for the confirmation!
That's what I thought but it didn't work because my partners are so damn strong and they rescue the hostages on their own.
I will try with weak ones and concentrate on attacking the legs.

BTW I have another question: is there areas that are recommended more than others for farming materials to maximize the weapons?
Checking wikis for every single material is becoming exhausting to say the least :/
I'm only doing this because there are a mission that appeared and which I can't beat because my weapon isn't powerful enough. I always run out of time before even inflicting 1/4 of the 3rd tiger abductor that appears.

Parakeetman

Thanks for the confirmation!
That's what I thought but it didn't work because my partners are so damn strong and they rescue the hostages on their own.
I will try with weak ones and concentrate on attacking the legs.

BTW I have another question: is there areas that are recommended more than others for farming materials to maximize the weapons?
Checking wikis for every single material is becoming exhausting to say the least :/
I'm only doing this because there are a mission that appeared and which I can't beat because my weapon isn't powerful enough. I always run out of time before even inflicting 1/4 of the 3rd tiger abductor that appears.

It depends on what you want to make, but for the most part people just go and fully upgrade a physical barbara as its the easiest way to just dish out insane damage fast. Since thats the largest neck with the end game contents is doing enough damage fast. Esp when you go up against the dragons. Worst ever... lol

Unfortunately with how they made the game system having to use a wiki for the most part is all you have. Then comes the fun part of running circuits on the maps to collect the map items due to needing some to help further control your upgrades to the maximum efficiency. Its been a long while since Ive played so dont remember too much outside of it being a pain in the ass lol.

This by far would be the best guide out there. As mentioned before its from what folks here consider to be the best Freedom Wars player in Japan. They showed up a few times in events for time attacks and such too. The info here is for using the latest system update which allows you to trash modules you dont need for 5000 pts. I remember you saying you dont want a barbara but it will help you farm other mats for other weapon types you might want from abductors by just breaking parts to bits fast.

http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/freedomwars/88360/

Soulhouf

It depends on what you want to make, but for the most part people just go and fully upgrade a physical barbara as its the easiest way to just dish out insane damage fast. Since thats the largest neck with the end game contents is doing enough damage fast. Esp when you go up against the dragons. Worst ever... lol

Unfortunately with how they made the game system having to use a wiki for the most part is all you have. Then comes the fun part of running circuits on the maps to collect the map items due to needing some to help further control your upgrades to the maximum efficiency. Its been a long while since Ive played so dont remember too much outside of it being a pain in the ass lol.

This by far would be the best guide out there. As mentioned before its from what folks here consider to be the best Freedom Wars player in Japan. They showed up a few times in events for time attacks and such too. The info here is for using the latest system update which allows you to trash modules you dont need for 5000 pts. I remember you saying you dont want a barbara but it will help you farm other mats for other weapon types you might want from abductors by just breaking parts to bits fast.

http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/freedomwars/88360/

Well, I don't have the patience anymore so if that one is easy to make and does the job, I'll make it. I'm not looking for min-maxing, anything that helps me to clear all the remaining missions will do.
From what I tried, the shotgun type (Barbara) are very light and have extremely fast reload speed, which is weird but very convenient.
Only relying on blades is difficult in the last missions, that's why now I always carry a gun as well (mainly a EZ type and Mini guns so far).

BTW, how do you make weapons with maximum slots for modules? I tried many times with a lv8 factory (is that the max level?) and the best one I got had 8 slots. I ran out of materials so I didn't try further. The fact that the game save every time you manufacture something is really jarring given how random the system is -_-'

Thanks for the link, I will try to follow it and hopefully I won't give up ^o^

^It's a non-news.

"I'm thinking of lots of shit I can't speak of right now."

Anyone who's played the game knows there will be a sequel/upgrade/complete version. The only way it wouldn't have happened was if the game bombed real hard.

Parakeetman

^It's a non-news.

"I'm thinking of lots of shit I can't speak of right now."

Anyone who's played the game knows there will be a sequel/upgrade/complete version. The only way it wouldn't have happened was if the game bombed real hard.

somehow dont think a lot of folks will buy the next game unless they get a new producer.

Top Bottom