• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars - Import |OT| War, what is it good for? A HOVERBOARD!!!!

Kysen

Without my good old trusty barbara I can't do anything. They definitely need to fix the weapons.

Yup went from close calls in mission 7-2 onwards (time running out) and failing all 天罰 missions to breezing through. Spider boss was the biggest difference as it can be chain stunned till death. Barbara is just the best all round weapon compared to the others

-no ridiculous walking speed penalty
-no magazine penalty despite being a shotgun
-can ibara and still do full damage
-no painful melee delay after attacking
-focused damage at point blank means destroying cages/parts easy

If it gets nerfed good luck getting anywhere post game.

Yup went from close calls in mission 7-2 onwards (time running out) and failing all 天罰 missions to breezing through. Spider boss was the biggest difference as it can be chain stunned till death. Barbara is just the best all round weapon compared to the others

-no ridiculous walking speed penalty
-no magazine penalty despite being a shotgun
-can ibara and still do full damage
-no painful melee delay after attacking
-focused damage at point blank means destroying cages/parts easy

If it gets nerfed good luck getting anywhere post game.

The spinning Lv2 charged attack of the chainsaw did a lot of damage due to fast multi-hitting. Of course, melee risks and all, but it was outdoing my Barbara's Easy Gear when it comes to damage.

I don't know the if one or the other sucked, but my chainsaw was about 1100 power while Barbara's was 1500-ish. Both were just "temp/stepping stone" weapons.

Minus parts, of course, since those takes extra damage from bullets.

I tried a well-upgraded Exodus, and the chainsaw spin had better damage due to more focused area/more hits(?), and shorter animation.

Kane1345

Me and my friends are really into hunting type games and even though this game isn't one we'd like to give it a shot. I have a few questions about online if someone would be kind enough to answer them:

1. Will I be able to play the story with 2 other friends?
2. What modes are available to play online?
3. Are there any missions/bosses exclusive to online play?

Thanks in advance :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Me and my friends are really into hunting type games and even though this game isn't one we'd like to give it a shot. I have a few questions about online if someone would be kind enough to answer them:

1. Will I be able to play the story with 2 other friends?
2. What modes are available to play online?
3. Are there any missions/bosses exclusive to online play?

Thanks in advance :)

1: Yes you can play story with friends
2: Right now just basically co-op or doing the missions that are given when attacking other panopticons. (The Head-2-Head stuff isnt in yet I think)
3: Not quite sure on that one, but for SP stuff that you can play with friends there are limited missions that show up at random.

Kane1345

1: Yes you can play story with friends
2: Right now just basically co-op or doing the missions that are given when attacking other panopticons. (The Head-2-Head stuff isnt in yet I think)
3: Not quite sure on that one, but for SP stuff that you can play with friends there are limited missions that show up at random.

Appreciate the answers, thank you.

There are 47 panopticons in the game correct? So that should mean a lot of missions available online to complete hopefully. Thanks again

Parakeetman

Appreciate the answers, thank you.

There are 47 panopticons in the game correct? So that should mean a lot of missions available online to complete hopefully. Thanks again

The US isnt it supposed to be by states?

Since in Japan its by prefectures.

The various missions that are in the game in general are

destroy abductor(s)
kill all other humanoid enemies
rescue X number of civilians
take abductor to location X
hold and control point X Y Z

might be some other stuff or that could be it.

I thought this was arena combat like Anarchy Reigns and then was told it's kinda like Monster Hunter but reading the OP I see the story mode is meant to be soloed. For those that have played it through is this worth a purchase for solo play? I have poor internet where I live.

I thought this was arena combat like Anarchy Reigns and then was told it's kinda like Monster Hunter but reading the OP I see the story mode is meant to be soloed. For those that have played it through is this worth a purchase for solo play? I have poor internet where I live.

Nope.

Wait for the expansion. Or at the very least wait for them to put all the updates in.

baconcow

Nope.

Wait for the expansion. Or at the very least wait for them to put all the updates in.

What is wrong with solo play or the game? I have it pre-ordered at Amazon for around $25, but I noticed that there is a 2.4 rating on Amazon Japan (659 ratings). It is difficult to understand the translated reviews.

baekshi

Banned
What is wrong with solo play or the game? I have it pre-ordered at Amazon for around $25, but I noticed that there is a 2.4 rating on Amazon Japan (659 ratings). It is difficult to understand the translated reviews.

Most of those bad rating come from game having a bad difficulty curve and somewhat a shooter. I haven't played much post patch but I think it is safe to that issue was probably addressed in a patch.

Parakeetman

Most of those bad rating come from game having a bad difficulty curve and somewhat a shooter. I haven't played much post patch but I think it is safe to that issue was probably addressed in a patch.

There really isnt much to address really, since the games core mechanics are still the same and those are things which cant really be patched out. As its AI related issues and how things like collision and other stuff work.

The largest unfortunate point about the game is just the fact that there is a single go to weapon which basically outclasses everything else once you get it set up right. So kinda takes away any fun or challenge right away after that. D:

baekshi

Banned
PvP is coming soon.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/24062181.html

I don't think they'll manage to get it into the west release in time at this point.

Pretty sure nick said it will have online modes from get go. although future patch maybe not be even updated or take forever since they aren't running same versions and are different.

If there is one weapon in the game that is so over powered that it breaks the whole game, why do they not simply remove it?

They'll probably nerf in next patch if they care...

Pretty sure nick said it will have online modes from get go. although future patch maybe not be even updated or take forever since they aren't running same versions and are different.

They'll probably nerf in next patch if they care...

Is this the last patch with new content?

Kysen

バーバラ無双, with the mechanics as they are right now adding pvp is going to be a mess.

This new patch will add PvP and Ideological Warfare so presumably is the last one.

coming in october
http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20140924_freedomwars.html

ok, thank you. Even though the people of this thread nowadays seems to have negative thoughts attached to the game, I remember the tune that was playing here around it's release and as I have only played the demo I keep on humming that melody until I know better ;)

Edit:does anyone know what the ideology war mode is?

Prelude.

Yeah, but I mean specifically this update, the one that added online functionalities is pretty old.

Hikami

So is the combat in this game closer to Monster Hunter or God Eater?

Been thinking of pre-ordering the upcoming US release, but I never really liked Monster Hunter because of how slow it felt. God Eater on the other hand I loved playing.

Sitrus

Been thinking of pre-ordering the upcoming US release, but I never really liked Monster Hunter because of how slow it felt. God Eater on the other hand I loved playing.

More like a third person shooter to be honest.

Prelude.

Well, between the two definitely GE since it's fast-paced, you have a lot of guns and there's way more mobility.

Parakeetman

dont expect much from the melee combat part since its pretty shit for the most part in the game.

just dont go in expecting god eater either and you should be fine.

Anko

Patch 1.20 (pvp, etc) is coming on the 16th of October at noon. I'd expect the online player base to be a lot smaller now though... I might give the pvp a try, if only to see how chaotic it can get and how much players will favour guns.

Patch 1.20 (pvp, etc) is coming on the 16th of October at noon. I'd expect the online player base to be a lot smaller now though... I might give the pvp a try, if only to see how chaotic it can get and how much players will favour guns.

Any details regarding the other mode or if the patch will change other things with the game?

There are more changes coming with the patch. They'll be detailed at the day it launches.

Ok, thank you.

Edit: I really hope that the aim assist that they are adding with the new patch is optional. To me it sounds stupid to implement something like that in a game that have competitive multiplayer.

Sounds like this will make melee combat even less useful?

Soulhouf

I just started the game and I'm liking it so far.

I have a question though. Is there a way to update the game without using a Japanese account? Switching accounts on Vita is such a tedious process...

maouvin

I just started the game and I'm liking it so far.

I have a question though. Is there a way to update the game without using a Japanese account? Switching accounts on Vita is such a tedious process...

Updates are not region-locked, just the DLCs - so yes, you can update without a jp acc.

So anybods whos played it already through imports. How does it stack up with Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden and Monster Hunter?

I haven't played Soul Sacrifice extensively (I played about... I dunno 5 hours of vanilla), but compared to Toukiden and/or Monster Hunter?

Quite far. Not taking account PvP and whatever the fuck Ideology is.

First of all, this game is a Third Person Shooter - "TPS against large monsters" if you will. You can also do melee attacks (which, looking at a previous thread, made people interested in this game), but they are far outclassed by many guns in terms of risk+damage.

Ally NPC's are crap, yet you can't solo most missions.
(at least not until you can get a highly upgraded weaponBarbara's Easy Gear)

In the late-game and post game, weapon stats matter far more than learning your enemy. Getting a highly grinded Barbara's Easy Gear will probably let you kill anything within 3 minutes or something.

There's also no option to guard, and dodge sucks. In theory, you can use Ibara/Thorn to dodge, but has lots of limitations to function as such. Only real way to avoid enemy attacks is to run enough to not be in their attack.

This game reminded me a lot of MGS5: Peace Walker (the boss fights).

Enemy variety is very small. "Man-made" Abductors are mix and match (two types of lower body and three types of upper body + optional parts), but many of their attacks are too similar to each other that you can probably lump their motion patterns. Personally, I'd consider Man-made ones to 2 general patterns. Then there's the 天獄 Abductors (also called "Natural"). These are the "animal" types you see in the promo videos. There's 4 of them.

Missions are also too few, and many post-game missions only appear at random (if you finish or fail them, they will disappear so you have to obtain them again). Other post-game missions are "events".

tl;dr = if you're looking for a game like Toukiden or MH, then this is not your game.

Illucio

Banned
I haven't played Soul Sacrifice extensively (I played about... I dunno 5 hours of vanilla), but compared to Toukiden and/or Monster Hunter?

Quite far. Not taking account PvP and whatever the fuck Ideology is.

First of all, this game is a Third Person Shooter - "TPS against large monsters" if you will. You can also do melee attacks (which, looking at a previous thread, made people interested in this game), but they are far outclassed by many guns in terms of risk+damage.

Ally NPC's are crap, yet you can't solo most missions.
(at least not until you can get a highly upgraded weaponBarbara's Easy Gear)

In the late-game and post game, weapon stats matter far more than learning your enemy. Getting a highly grinded Barbara's Easy Gear will probably let you kill anything within 3 minutes or something.

There's also no option to guard, and dodge sucks. In theory, you can use Ibara/Thorn to dodge, but has lots of limitations to function as such. Only real way to avoid enemy attacks is to run enough to not be in their attack.

This game reminded me a lot of MGS5: Peace Walker (the boss fights).

Enemy variety is very small. "Man-made" Abductors are mix and match (two types of lower body and three types of upper body + optional parts), but many of their attacks are too similar to each other that you can probably lump their motion patterns. Personally, I'd consider Man-made ones to 2 general patterns. Then there's the 天獄 Abductors (also called "Natural"). These are the "animal" types you see in the promo videos. There's 4 of them.

Missions are also too few, and many post-game missions only appear at random (if you finish or fail them, they will disappear so you have to obtain them again). Other post-game missions are "events".

tl;dr = if you're looking for a game like Toukiden or MH, then this is not your game.

But is the game still good? Can it's quality still match up to Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, and Monster Hunter. As in, quality for being it's own thing rather than being a complete copy of the Monster Hunting genre.

Parakeetman

game balance is bad.

ai functionality has been broken up into too many categories so that if you are bad at micromanagement you will have issues with constantly ordering commands.

you can solo with the ai without much issue

but the high end quests unless as above mentioned you dont have a highly upgraded barbera forget trying to do enough damage to your target.

upgrade system isnt too bad to start out but once it comes down to trying to make the perfect weapon then the whole randomization part of it might drive some crazy.

this game most def is not like other hunting titles so best to put that out of your head. its even in a different class from god eater due to how lopsided shit is weapon balance wise. you know its bad when the last boss can be killed within 40 seconds with a fully customized barbera.

really think there were too many chefs in the kitchen design wise as the game has way too many ideas going on and none of them outside of general ibara functionality are well thought out.

its not a bad game and did enjoy my time with it but as stated will have to treat this as its own thing.

the community will be split between those who like or hate the title.

dont compare it to the others as its not the same i still consider soul sacrifice to be in the jank category too with all the issues that the title has also.

monster hunter is only where it is due to many many years of fine tuning. which is why its hard to compare other titles to it.

KingJolly

Banned
That sounds dissapointing and to think this is being seen as the Vitas "biggest" game this year. Ill wait for some reviews and other personal scores before deciding until then Ill stick with SS: Delta. But thanks for your opinions.

baekshi

Banned
That sounds dissapointing and to think this is being seen as the Vitas "biggest" game this year. Ill wait for some reviews and other personal scores before deciding until then Ill stick with SS: Delta. But thanks for your opinions.

First games are always like this, even Soul Sacrifice has been through this but it came through well after another year of development. It just needed more time to be completed and if there did be another, it would be miles ahead of Monster hunter in terms of the content and replayability as if Delta isn't already. I prefer SSD to any other game, and FW may have a potential but I doubt about it. I'm pretty sure this is the one that had more development time than any other and japanese release was still rushed out but believe western release is the "complete" one even if it won't be supported after release here.

Anko

I think AI is a lot better now post patch? Pre-patch, I personally managed to get by with just the default AI command and didn't have to manage them too much. That was also before internet co-op was available. If you find the AI not up to scratch then try looking for players to play with online. You can do all of the story missions with others. And online is pretty fun.

As for everyone using Barbara, there are alternatives. A fully upgraded caliburn with critical chance and critical damage modifiers is viable end game, though not ideal for part farming. Small weapons are still ideal for part sawing. Barbara and guns in general are good for pin point part shooting. I see people using whatever weapon they fancy online. You just have to upgrade it properly. Of course, some weapons will deal higher damage than others.

I cannot comment on how this game compares to the others that you've listed as I have not played them.

I have enjoyed my >150 hours with the game, which I think is longer than most people, and am looking to go back for PVP when the patch releases in a few days. I'm not sure how anyone can play the same game for months and not get tired of it, but I'll say that 120 hours is around where I thought maybe it's time to move on to another game. Still, I think I got a decent amount of time and enjoyment from it.

Parakeetman

GarakeGK has a leak about Barbara being nerfed.

hilarious if true but way to little too late considering it totally broke the game balance for pve.

thanks to that folks could just blast through the game themselves or have a friend help. due to that there really isnt much of a community due to the endgame contents having been made so trivial by that particular weapon.

only thing that takes time is getting one up to that level, besides that you can totally gank the abductors like nothing. and its not like this info isnt public as time attack events for killing shit are just totally broken & dominated by the barbera.

there is a reason why one of japans best players constantly used it and showed how broken it is. not to mention even gave fairly detailed instructions on how to make it.

Top Bottom