• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars - Import |OT| War, what is it good for? A HOVERBOARD!!!!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I hope they will give us gauntlets and handguns in one of the future (free) updates.

Id say with an expansion with new enemy types that are more made for melee combat. Otherwise wouldnt really be able to enjoy beating things to death with your fists as much currently lol.

All I remember most of the time is when the two ever tried to melee something they mostly wound up with me having to save their asses due to them getting roflstomped.

Though yeah it is weird the handgun type was not included in the game as its not like it needed any sort of special animations like the fist weapons do.

I dont recall any game that has actually added a whole new weapon type just from a patch alone in the genre. PSO2 doesnt really count as thats more of an MMO anyways. Same goes for MHF.

Arcblast

Neo Member
Id say with an expansion with new enemy types that are more made for melee combat. Otherwise wouldnt really be able to enjoy beating things to death with your fists as much currently lol.

All I remember most of the time is when the two ever tried to melee something they mostly wound up with me having to save their asses due to them getting roflstomped.

Though yeah it is weird the handgun type was not included in the game as its not like it needed any sort of special animations like the fist weapons do.

I dont recall any game that has actually added a whole new weapon type just from a patch alone in the genre. PSO2 doesnt really count as thats more of an MMO anyways. Same goes for MHF.

I feel for melee the best they can do at this point is to add a guard point to every melee attack/combo/action. This guard point will provide one-time protection against interruption from any incoming attacks. So the players will still take damages as they normally would. Just that they can keep on attacking as long as they don't get hit more than twice during each melee attack/combo/action.

Well, both gauntlets and handguns already have animation in place... I guess Sony really is saving them for the G version... sigh. I still hope they will come with a patch though. I'll be happy even if they came as DLC as long as the price is reasonable.

Parakeetman

I feel for melee the best they can do at this point is to add a guard point to every melee attack/combo/action. This guard point will provide one-time protection against interruption from any incoming attacks. So the players will still take damages as they normally would. Just that they can keep on attacking as long as they don't get hit more than twice during each melee attack/combo/action.

Well, both gauntlets and handguns already have animation in place... I guess Sony really is saving them for the G version... sigh. I still hope they will come with a patch though. I'll be happy even if they came as DLC as long as the price is reasonable.

Seeing how they left the story most def would expect a "G" version to come out.

Seriously think it was a huge waste that they did not have any actual defensive type of moves which make sense. That wall is pretty much worthless for the most part lol. Am sure folks will find an interesting use for it in PVP, but asides from that in the sense of being a "solo" (stuck with AI) player the wall is fairly useless.

Am sure a lot of people would love it in a patch, but we all know it will most likely be an expansion lol gotta chase dem dollas.

Seriously think it was a huge waste that they did not have any actual defensive type of moves which make sense. That wall is pretty much worthless for the most part lol. Am sure folks will find an interesting use for it in PVP, but asides from that in the sense of being a "solo" (stuck with AI) player the wall is fairly useless.

Am sure a lot of people would love it in a patch, but we all know it will most likely be an expansion lol gotta chase dem dollas.

I hope they'll diversify defensive abilities in the next version. There's no use for the wall apart from blocking paths of the abductors in pve. It would be nice to have like a...ballistic shield or something.

Parakeetman

I hope they'll diversify defensive abilities in the next version. There's no use for the wall apart from blocking paths of the abductors in pve. It would be nice to have like a...ballistic shield or something.

Seriously a small temporary shield would have been far better that when it takes damage it drains your ibara bar.

Arcblast

Neo Member

Lol, I totally forgot about the story. Yeah, G version it is... arg

Def ibara is terrible. I like the idea of temporary shield, way better than the wall. I originally thought the wall is a one-way shield, which my bullets can go through, but not the enemy's. Turns out it was just a road block.

Parakeetman

Oohhhh boy. Might have to get a PSTV when it releases in NA and get Freedom Wars digitally.

Did a bad thing recently and traded in my Vita. :(

Nice thing too is if you use PS+ and as long as all your data + downloaded items are updated exactly the same you can transfer save data from the PSVTV to your PSV and the opposite for when you want to play at home or on the go no problem.

Anko

Encountered a bug twice in a row in プ303号作戦:目標排除編集する.

Was supposed to fight against two of the オルタトゥルム but when it spawned, it didn't move an inch. All other enemies moved normally, including the spider. It was pretty high up in the sky so we had to scale the walls to reach it. Its HP didn't move at all when we attacked it, but we could destroy its parts. I was about to give up since we couldn't finish the mission without eliminating them, but it just suddenly died. Apparently we just couldn't see the HP bar being updated.

We tried 特300号作戦:目標排除 after that but didn't encounter the bug.

Parakeetman

Lol, I totally forgot about the story. Yeah, G version it is... arg

Def ibara is terrible. I like the idea of temporary shield, way better than the wall. I originally thought the wall is a one-way shield, which my bullets can go through, but not the enemy's. Turns out it was just a road block.

Yeah thats what it looked like originally with it being shown off. That and for the amount of time used to deploy it, not exactly the best use of ones time in a mission. Unless there is something you literally need a wall now for, but usually if a situation has gotten that bad the wall isnt going to help much really...

Not to mention considering how abductors can steal your accessory via teleportation... i wonder if the large update changed that, since seriously HATED that design D:

I didnt use mine for pretty much 75% of my playthrough with the game truthfully lol so just goes to show how non-important they really are.

if you are in a rush sure, but if not you really dont need to mess with them that much.

Ok, that is good.

By asking you in the Lost dimension thread I remembered that I don't know this regarding FW ether. Are the different type of abductors weak against different weapons or are weapons just speed vs damage and a question of visual preferences (pick the animation that you like the most)?

Parakeetman

Ok, that is good.

By asking you in the Lost dimension thread I remembered that I don't know this regarding FW ether. Are the different type of abductors weak against different weapons or are weapons just speed vs damage and a question of visual preferences (pick the animation that you like the most)?

Yeah there is Fire, Ice, Lightning and Will-O.

Fire = burning damage over time.

Ice = defense down.

Lightning = stun effect.

Will-O = Explosion effect damage.

Some of the normal abductors are different colors which gives away what element they are. Red, Blue, Purple. Though the other ones that you cant tell what element they are are a bit of a different story.

Truthfully it doesnt seem to matter as much as other games.

Arcblast

Neo Member
Encountered a bug twice in a row in プ303号作戦:目標排除編集する.

Was supposed to fight against two of the オルタトゥルム but when it spawned, it didn't move an inch. All other enemies moved normally, including the spider. It was pretty high up in the sky so we had to scale the walls to reach it. Its HP didn't move at all when we attacked it, but we could destroy its parts. I was about to give up since we couldn't finish the mission without eliminating them, but it just suddenly died. Apparently we just couldn't see the HP bar being updated.

We tried 特300号作戦:目標排除 after that but didn't encounter the bug.

Played that mission today, no bug at all. The two オルタトゥルム pwned everyone loll. However, I did have some connection issues though. Like weird errors telling me I cannot connect to PSN, even though the PS store worked fine.

Yeah thats what it looked like originally with it being shown off. That and for the amount of time used to deploy it, not exactly the best use of ones time in a mission. Unless there is something you literally need a wall now for, but usually if a situation has gotten that bad the wall isnt going to help much really...

Not to mention considering how abductors can steal your accessory via teleportation... i wonder if the large update changed that, since seriously HATED that design D:

I see no point of the wall at all. I killed myself once because I accidentally used the wall. It trapped me briefly and I got hit by a big attack loll. Too bad the wall is a wall...

Abductors still steal our wives/husbando through teleportation. Nothing is changed with the patch.

It's annoying that the AI sucks in this game. A lot of solo issues are really non-issue when you play with people. Even ill-equipped / under-leveled players are way better than the max lv AIs, no joke.

To be honest I feel you are missing out by not going online. There are way more freedom when playing with people. You can pretty much play any style you want.

Fhoenix

I am a free man! Yay! Zero years! Double yay!
Downloaded the patch. Tried to play online. Nope, does not work for me. T_T

オルタトゥルム slaughter the AI bots. And I can't take them out alone. Those damn chain-snakes, attacking from all directions. Whoever invented that enemy must hate players -_-

Is there a non-tenbatsu (since those are not available right now) mission that drops 廃ケーブル(超精度)?

Anko

I am a free man! Yay! Zero years! Double yay!
Downloaded the patch. Tried to play online. Nope, does not work for me. T_T

オルタトゥルム slaughter the AI bots. And I can't take them out alone. Those damn chain-snakes, attacking from all directions. Whoever invented that enemy must hate players -_-

Is there a non-tenbatsu (since those are not available right now) mission that drops 廃ケーブル(超精度)?
Why does it not work? It works fine for me from Asia on wifi, though I have a pretty fast fibre connection. Check your connection to the host. I can play 3 bar rooms without much lag and people seemed fine with me hosting too.

For the オルタトゥルム, you must take out the chains. If possible, take them down ASAP before you break off another part. Eventually it releases a few together so always keep their numbers in check.

As for 廃ケーブル:超精度, you can only get it from tenbatsu 100 and 101. Sucks but that's how it is.

I've also platinum trophied this game. Yay!

Fhoenix

Why does it not work? It works fine for me from Asia on wifi, though I have a pretty fast fibre connection. Check your connection to the host. I can play 3 bar rooms without much lag and people seemed fine with me hosting too.

For the オルタトゥルム, you must take out the chains. If possible, take them down ASAP before you break off another part. Eventually it releases a few together so always keep their numbers in check.

As for 廃ケーブル:超精度, you can only get it from tenbatsu 100 and 101. Sucks but that's how it is.

I've also platinum trophied this game. Yay!

Oh, I am in Japan. The problem is, I have NAT3 on my vita. And no access to the building's main router. Soul Sacrifice would kick me out of rooms right when I enter, and FW simply can not find rooms.

Yeah, the point where it releases all the chains is where I have most trouble. In 7-5 AI could take the chains by themselves. I guess here I need to be more proactive. I think Barbara may be not the best weapon for them.

Hm, then I don't have a reason to do 30x missions at all.

Congratulations. I am close to platinum myself. Need to level Barabara to 10. And after that get the online trophies somehow. Not sure how yet.

Arcblast

Neo Member
Okay, so I encountered the bug that Anko was talking about. Seems to be a synchronization issue with the host. I was in two different rooms, the オルタトゥルムs were frozen in their spawn position for a few minutes before they start to act normal again.

In one game everyone saw the same frozen オルタトゥルムs and were shoot at them. In the other room it was clear that people were seeing different things. A player and I saw the frozen オルタトゥルムs and the other two saw them acting normally. So the two were all shooting and adjusting their aim at a invisible object floating in the air while we were shoot at static objects.

Hopefully they will patch it soon.

Yeah there is Fire, Ice, Lightning and Will-O.

Fire = burning damage over time.

Ice = defense down.

Lightning = stun effect.

Will-O = Explosion effect damage.

Some of the normal abductors are different colors which gives away what element they are. Red, Blue, Purple. Though the other ones that you cant tell what element they are are a bit of a different story.

Truthfully it doesnt seem to matter as much as other games.

reading your answers made me realize that I have asked the exct same question before in this thread. Thank you for answering anyway :)

Parakeetman

Played that mission today, no bug at all. The two オルタトゥルム pwned everyone loll. However, I did have some connection issues though. Like weird errors telling me I cannot connect to PSN, even though the PS store worked fine.

I see no point of the wall at all. I killed myself once because I accidentally used the wall. It trapped me briefly and I got hit by a big attack loll. Too bad the wall is a wall...

Abductors still steal our wives/husbando through teleportation. Nothing is changed with the patch.

It's annoying that the AI sucks in this game. A lot of solo issues are really non-issue when you play with people. Even ill-equipped / under-leveled players are way better than the max lv AIs, no joke.

To be honest I feel you are missing out by not going online. There are way more freedom when playing with people. You can pretty much play any style you want.

i generally dont gave time to play with others these days and im a soloist for the most part anyways. id imagine that as you stated human players are better since they dont act off of a bunch of flags and triggers like ai does. even then since they broke apart the ai into too nany pieces its why their actions feel a bit haphazard.

thing is too this game isnt as skill based as others since once you reach a certain point with your firearms its just latch onto the weakpoint and rip it open. thats another reason why personally am not as interested in playing as there is really no higher level to try to achieve for yourself.

currently the next game in the genre that am interested in would be toukiden kiwami as the rifle is actually pretty interesting.

Arcblast

Neo Member
i generally dont gave time to play with others these days and im a soloist for the most part anyways. id imagine that as you stated human players are better since they dont act off of a bunch of flags and triggers like ai does. even then since they broke apart the ai into too nany pieces its why their actions feel a bit haphazard.

thing is too this game isnt as skill based as others since once you reach a certain point with your firearms its just latch onto the weakpoint and rip it open. thats another reason why personally am not as interested in playing as there is really no higher level to try to achieve for yourself.

currently the next game in the genre that am interested in would be toukiden kiwami as the rifle is actually pretty interesting.

I see. It is hard to play online when there isn't much time. I feel if the AI could revive with ibara then things should be a lot better for solo play. And other issues with the AI wouldn't matter as much.

Yeah, the game is not as skill based as most of the stuff is pretty straight forward. Melee could use more/harder combos and range weapons need more interesting properties. However, I feel at same time a part of the issue is with Barbara which overshadows all other weapons as it can do so many things. Without Barbara you can't just latch on and deliver lolwftbbq damage. If they can fix it, other weapons will have better purpose again. And everyone would have to work harder for their wins lol.

I am kinda intersted in Toukiden Kiwami... didn't play the original and haven't tried the new demo yet. Will get around to the demo once I clean out my memory stick.

Parakeetman

I see. It is hard to play online when there isn't much time. I feel if the AI could revive with ibara then things should be a lot better for solo play. And other issues with the AI wouldn't matter as much.

Yeah, the game is not as skill based as most of the stuff is pretty straight forward. Melee could use more/harder combos and range weapons need more interesting properties. However, I feel at same time a part of the issue is with Barbara which overshadows all other weapons as it can do so many things. Without Barbara you can't just latch on and deliver lolwftbbq damage. If they can fix it, other weapons will have better purpose again. And everyone would have to work harder for their wins lol.

I am kinda intersted in Toukiden Kiwami... didn't play the original and haven't tried the new demo yet. Will get around to the demo once I clean out my memory stick.

the new demo is pretty good and out of the three weapons found the rifle to be the most interesting

Fhoenix

I'd like to have better dodging and recovery. The character is painfully slow at getting up and, since Abductors often beat at your corpse, the moment you get up you often go down again. I rarely fail missions, since Acc is pretty good with recovery. But sometimes I feel like I spend half the mission lying down.
As for bots I'd like them to stop trying to walk right through me and through Abductors. They think they have ghost mode on.

After they fix the game, they can maybe do something about Barbara. Because right now playing alone without it... how would you even do special missions? I don't have an Uber Barbara and it takes ages to clear them.

Arcblast

Neo Member
I'd like to have better dodging and recovery. The character is painfully slow at getting up and, since Abductors often beat at your corpse, the moment you get up you often go down again. I rarely fail missions, since Acc is pretty good with recovery. But sometimes I feel like I spend half the mission lying down.
As for bots I'd like them to stop trying to walk right through me and through Abductors. They think they have ghost mode on.

After they fix the game, they can maybe do something about Barbara. Because right now playing alone without it... how would you even do special missions? I don't have an Uber Barbara and it takes ages to clear them.

That's why Sony needs to fix the AI. If the AI can deal with the ballistic shields and revive dead comrades with ibara from a distance then soloing wouldn't be too much of a problem without Barbara IMO. I say this because online is filled with people with pea shooters and butter knives (aka shitty weapons). Yet playing Tenbatsu missions with them is still easier than with the AIs because they revive and deal with the shields a lot better. Not to mention they always save waifus loll.

Dodging is serviceable, but dodging with booster needs to be better IMO. Getting up totally needs to be faster though.

the new demo is pretty good and out of the three weapons found the rifle to be the most interesting

Actually I just remember that I played the original demo. I like the... um, basically a chain with a blade and hammer ball on each end. Dunno what's name of the weapon. I found it to be really fun. Will definitely check out the new weapons in the Kiwami demo.

Without my good old trusty barbara I can't do anything. They definitely need to fix the weapons.

Arcblast

Neo Member
What kind of weapon is the barbara?

Basically a shotgun with really high damage output when leveled up properly, so it kills really fast. Other than having a slightly shorter range, it literally has no flaws and does most things better than other weapons.

Without my good old trusty barbara I can't do anything. They definitely need to fix the weapons.

Few weapons could use a buff.

Fhoenix

That's why Sony needs to fix the AI. If the AI can deal with the ballistic shields and revive dead comrades with ibara from a distance then soloing wouldn't be too much of a problem without Barbara IMO. I say this because online is filled with people with pea shooters and butter knives (aka shitty weapons). Yet playing Tenbatsu missions with them is still easier than with the AIs because they revive and deal with the shields a lot better. Not to mention they always save waifus loll.

Dodging is serviceable, but dodging with booster needs to be better IMO. Getting up totally needs to be faster though.

I got to play online a little today (found a working wi-fi spot in local Big Camera). The game is so easy with other people. They use whips, yes! And they focus fire. Also you get 15 lives for some reason. You are more or less immortal. Met quite a lot of experienced players. We breezed through every mission. Although on some missions with few ammo boxes ammo becomes somewhat a problem.

I haven't tried using the boosters for that. Without boosters the dodge button is a joke. In most situations simply running away from the abductor is a much better choice than dodging. I played some Soul Sacrifice for comparison and the difference is so huge.

Anko

Update 1.11
Everyone's favourite stability update. Now in Freedom Wars too.
Nothing much here.

Update 1.11 changes
  • Additional colour customisation options for the male 「88式軍装服」 and 「アーミー・コーデ」 costumes
  • Internet play stability update
  • Adjustments to various parameters
  • Several bug fixes including:
    • Fixed bug where under specific conditions, invasion mission permits do not renew despite having reached the stated issue time
    • Fixed graphical bug where with certain costume combinations, the back part of the head is not correctly displayed
    • Fixed bug where if you were to use a certain civilian for the production of a certain weapon, it will lock and be unable to release

I encountered the first bug and was unable to do invasion missions so, yay.
No idea what that last bug is.

I got to play online a little today (found a working wi-fi spot in local Big Camera). The game is so easy with other people. They use whips, yes! And they focus fire. Also you get 15 lives for some reason. You are more or less immortal. Met quite a lot of experienced players. We breezed through every mission. Although on some missions with few ammo boxes ammo becomes somewhat a problem.

I haven't tried using the boosters for that. Without boosters the dodge button is a joke. In most situations simply running away from the abductor is a much better choice than dodging. I played some Soul Sacrifice for comparison and the difference is so huge.

You get 15 lives because those lives are shared between everyone in multiplayer. It's way more than enough though, since most people set their acc to prioritise revival and do rush to revive allies that go down. For single player, the 5 lives are all yours. For ammo, remember that you can use your accessory to hold an extra item. You will have to set the command to make them use it though. I think it works with ammo too.

At this point, there are a lot of players with maxed out weapons in the 怯み branch so everyone's doing a lot of damage.

Arcblast

Neo Member
Yeah playing with people is really easy. If you are in room with good players you can clear any Tenbatsu missions in under ten minutes.

For ammo, remember that you can use your accessory to hold an extra item. You will have to set the command to make them use it though. I think it works with ammo too.

Accessories cannot carry any ammo. I wish they could though.

---

By the way, the defensive ibara's wall actually has an one-way ballistic shield around it now. Did that come with patch 1.10? I could have sworn it wasn't there before.

Anko

Yeah playing with people is really easy. If you are in room with good players you can clear any Tenbatsu missions in under ten minutes.

Accessories cannot carry any ammo. I wish they could though.

---

By the way, the defensive ibara's wall actually has an one-way ballistic shield around it now. Did that come with patch 1.10? I could have sworn it wasn't there before.
No ammo? Well that sucks. I bring both the small and large ammo packs with me though.

I don't recall seeing anything regarding the shield in the patch notes. I haven't tried either.

Watching people play taught me that you don't need to long press to cast shield or heal on others. That was awesome to learn. I must have looked silly running after everyone trying to cast shield around me.

Arcblast

Neo Member
No ammo? Well that sucks. I bring both the small and large ammo packs with me though.

I don't recall seeing anything regarding the shield in the patch notes. I haven't tried either.

Watching people play taught me that you don't need to long press to cast shield or heal on others. That was awesome to learn. I must have looked silly running after everyone trying to cast shield around me.

I didn't see any patch note regarding the ballistic shield around the wall neither. That's why I was asking because there was no shield before the patch.

Yeah, you can heal or cast shield/armour with the whips which is pretty neat. Though I think casting shield by hitting your teammate with the whip is new because I couldn't do it before the patch either. That, or I just didn't notice it.

Talking about whip... I don't think many people knew the healing ibara was the only thing that could break a spiderweb-strangled ally with its lv1 charge before patch 1.10. Now it's more convenient with the addition of melee attacks.

Fhoenix

Any idea if you can get 合成グラファイト超純度 anywhere outside of 103? Because the current Tenbatsu event does not have 103 in Hokkaido.
This is all that stands between me and the platinum...

Arcblast

Neo Member
Any idea if you can get 合成グラファイト超純度 anywhere outside of 103? Because the current Tenbatsu event does not have 103 in Hokkaido.

Nevermind... I think you can only get it from 103.

Anko

You're outta luck

seesaawiki is pretty quick to update so if it is available, I think they'd have it listed. Try 307 as Arcblast suggests, I suppose. The newer missions.
seesaawiki has 307 tentatively listed under some mats but not under 合成グラファイト:超純度 though

I didn't see any patch note regarding the ballistic shield around the wall neither. That's why I was asking because there was no shield before the patch.

Yeah, you can heal or cast shield/armour with the whips which is pretty neat. Though I think casting shield by hitting your teammate with the whip is new because I couldn't do it before the patch either. That, or I just didn't notice it.

Talking about whip... I don't think many people knew the healing ibara was the only thing that could break a spiderweb-strangled ally with its lv1 charge before patch 1.10. Now it's more convenient with the addition of melee attacks.
I definitely didn't know about the web breaking. It's weird that the ibara changes are not mentioned in the patch notes. Perhaps they are in the new tutorials on ibara usage?

Fhoenix

Damn, I wonder what were they thinking. Making a critical material available only on one mission. And not even letting us play it...

Arcblast

Neo Member
I definitely didn't know about the web breaking. It's weird that the ibara changes are not mentioned in the patch notes. Perhaps they are in the new tutorials on ibara usage?

Maybe it's in the new tutorials. Will have a look later.

Damn, I wonder what were they thinking. Making a critical material available only on one mission. And not even letting us play it...

Yeah, this is really annoying. In fact I need 103 as well, 'cus I need some materials from that spider in 103. lol

I think all the special 10x missions should be available at all times.

Finally release dates for the west

Digital releases

EU October 29th
US October 28th

Have they talked anything about using the same text to speech software for the western release of the game?

Parakeetman

Nice to see they finally announced the dates.

Thanks for posting the info!

No idea about the voice stuff though.

Top Bottom