• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars - Import |OT| War, what is it good for? A HOVERBOARD!!!!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What. I just failed a pvp quest against cpu and it loaded the game to before I left the room, so I have to watch all the custscenes again.

crinale

What. I just failed a pvp quest against cpu and it loaded the game to before I left the room, so I have to watch all the custscenes again.

I can almost imagine which quest you have failed. To beat that you have to know how to command your teammates.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I can almost imagine which quest you have failed. To beat that you have to know how to command your teammates.
To be honest it was super easy on my second try.
Order teammates to fight, your Accessory to take the civilian, take one yourself and you're done. I got 4/3 in the end.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, that mission was abit hectic. I was getting shot at from everywhere.

I went and just 1 shot rocket sniped everyone. Though at one point the enemy managed to run off with a single civilian. D:

game is pretty great so far. though the advancing of the story bits takes a little while. overall am enjoying it!

I went and just 1 shot rocket sniped everyone. Though at one point the enemy managed to run off with a single civilian. D:

game is pretty great so far. though the advancing of the story bits takes a little while. overall am enjoying it!

Same here. It's a nice change from GE2 since there's more story involved and a more massive hub.

crinale

Yeah I agree with ppl's impression here. It is much more story-driven than I thought.
In that regard I wish Sony could localize the thing soon.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How many areas have you guys seen in game so far?
I've done 2 missions from code 3 and so far I've seen 4 maps, but some had a few weather/time of the day variant.
Loving the game so far and if I'm lucky I might be able to try the local mp with my coworkers tomorrow.

Nick did say that Freedom Wars was going to deliver a stronger single-player story experience than what can usually be expected out of the regular action co-op games in this genre.

Nice to hear it's true from GAFer impressions. :)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is it possible to download the demo on JP PSN?
Yes, I think it should still be available.
Nick did say that Freedom Wars was going to deliver a stronger single-player story experience than what can usually be expected out of the regular action co-op games in this genre.

Nice to hear it's true from GAFer impressions. :)
It certainly has a stronger focus on the story compared to a hunting game, but to be honest moving between npcs in the early stages of the game is quite tedious.
Luckily they don't wait long with giving you the access to fast travel.

It certainly has a stronger focus on the story compared to a hunting game, but to be honest moving between npcs in the early stages of the game is quite tedious.

Yeah, there is more downtime in the game than in the past with GE2 and the pacing of doing missions is much more slower with more story related stuff.

That said, the MG-M7 is awesome.

crinale

It is a nice attempt to let player know how the "panopticon" really looks like. It is quite stereotypically dystopian and I loved it.
The thing is if you don't unlock the right to run for less than 10 seconds before going into journey, then...oh yeah it will be extremely tedious, I can imagine that.

RalchAC

I don't want spoilers, but it makes me happy that the game is story heavy. Hope they don't waste the awesome setting they've coocked! I'll keep reading even if it makes the wait for this game to arrive harder in order to know if the story falls apart in the latest chapters or not. Hopefully it delivers.

Oh good. If you don't mind, where is it? All night all I could find was the base game and it's DLC. I'm pretty poor at this.

Parakeetman

That whole feature of using the factories to produce new items or power them up is great. Very cool stuff. Like how the stats of equipment is semi random too.

Speaking on the story: it definitely plays out more like an action RPG than a hunting game in that regard, especially the overall moment to moment progression.

I put about five hours into it yesterday, and to be quite honest "hunting action" didn't cross my mind very often, especially due to the PvE human combat situations.

Question guys: I played the demo and found the amount of in-game explanation text to be really long and obnoxious. Not only for tutorial sections but story sections as well. Is the full version more reasonable? This actually put me off buying the game yesterday.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question guys: I played the demo and found the amount of in-game explanation text to be really long and obnoxious. Not only for tutorial sections but story sections as well. Is the full version more reasonable? This actually put me off buying the game yesterday.
Well, the demo is basically the beginning of the full game. I don't think they are any differences asides from a few more options in the room menu.
That whole feature of using the factories to produce new items or power them up is great. Very cool stuff. Like how the stats of equipment is semi random too.
While the idea of requiring plants to make/upgrade items is cool (and also straight out of a mobile game), I don't like the idea of having to wait 10+ minutes to get my items in a console game. I've read somewhere that there are supposed to be Boost Plants or something like that, but I don't know the details.

Parakeetman

Well, the demo is basically the beginning of the full game. I don't think they are any differences asides from a few more options in the room menu.

While the idea of requiring plants to make/upgrade items is cool (and also straight out of a mobile game), I don't like the idea of having to wait 10+ minutes to get my items in a console game. I've read somewhere that there are supposed to be Boost Plants or something like that, but I don't know the details.

considering im doing missions in the meantime the timer doesnt bother me that much need a ton of resources anyways and whatever im upgrading or building is never mission critical

Played and hit chapter 4 last night. Certain mission types are getting more tough, with them throwing multiple abductors and mobs at you and bullets flying everywhere. I think that using the ibara at the right time as opposed to sprinting and rolling is much more crucial, like Hasemo has said before.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
considering im doing missions in the meantime the timer doesnt bother me that much need a ton of resources anyways and whatever im upgrading or building is never mission critical
Well, in most hunting games I'm usually upgrading my main weapon so not having that for one mission bothers me a bit.

Jomjom

Banned
I thought there was.. then again, it's Sony and its Vita we're talking about here.

I wish. I would buy the fuck out of it. I only have the god eater, ffx, and gundam breaker ones to chose from. All of those look ugly especially the ffx one that just looks like they stuck a google image on the back of it.

baekshi

Banned
I wish. I would buy the fuck out of it. I only have the god eater, ffx, and gundam breaker ones to chose from. All of those look ugly especially the ffx one that just looks like they stuck a google image on the back of it.

this has to be the best one besides the miku
souls.jpg

KuroNeeko

Finally achieved
Code 2
status.

I'm digging the story and I like all the little ways the developers remind you of how little you have.

I almost slapped my Accessory when
she asked me if I wanted to take a rest, and when I did, she added a few years onto my sentence because Prisoners aren't allowed to lie down.
I didn't want the extra time on my sentence though.

One thing I'm having trouble with is freeing hostages. How are you supposed to bust them out of the Cage? I'm assuming you target it with your Ibara and the grab on with a Dive attack. Does the Abductor need to be stunned first? So far, it's just been easier to trash the enemy then free the hostages.

I like the animations for your character when you're carrying the hostages. It's no different than carrying eggs in Monster Hunter, but it fits the story so well.

I like the story so far, even if it seems derivative. A few things I noticed...

・ Man,
Natalia's
legs go on foreveeeer. Such a ball buster though. I love how she
busts Matthias for stealing resources, but doesn't say anything about the huge-ass rocket launcher I pocketed from the Abductor.
Sorry, mayne!

・
Yurian
is tiny! My character is only 5'6" (Accessory 5'5") and they both dwarf his butt.

・I just started reading "All You Need is Kill" as well. The setting / mood really mesh well with Freedom Wars.

・Osaka is in third place. I wanted to switch to Tottori, but didn't feel like deleting and then reinstalling the game.

When I bought my Vita a few months ago, they still had the Toukiden one on Amazon for about the same price as your standard Vita.

You should check it out!

Jomjom

Banned
this has to be the best one besides the miku
souls.jpg

Yeah I like that one, the Toukiden one and the Miku one, but they are all Vita-1000s. I was thinking of picking up a 2000 to go with my 1000, but I would love an LE one.

When I bought my Vita a few months ago, they still had the Toukiden one on Amazon for about the same price as your standard Vita.

You should check it out!

Ohhh will take a look. Thanks.

Aytrial

One thing I'm having trouble with is freeing hostages. How are you supposed to bust them out of the Cage? I'm assuming you target it with your Ibara and the grab on with a Dive attack. Does the Abductor need to be stunned first? So far, it's just been easier to trash the enemy then free the hostages.

Based on my experiences in the demo, you can break open the Cages without needing to stun the Abductor. You're just more vulnerable to its attacks and it takes longer to shatter compared to a limb.

Maybe later Abductors have countermeasures to stop you going straight for their Cages though.

Finally achieved
Code 2
status.

You can ibara in and cut it open, or you can just grab a minigun and shoot at it until it opens. Rocket launcher works as well. The abductor doesn't need to be stunned first, as when you break open the cage/cut or shoot off a part it gets stunned.

KuroNeeko

Holy carp! That first PvP mission is pretty intense! :O

Based on my experiences in the demo, you can break open the Cages without needing to stun the Abductor. You're just more vulnerable to its attacks and it takes longer to shatter compared to a limb.

Maybe later Abductors have countermeasures to stop you going straight for their Cages though.

You can ibara in and cut it open, or you can just grab a minigun and shoot at it until it opens. Rocket launcher works as well. The abductor doesn't need to be stunned first, as when you break open the cage/cut or shoot off a part it gets stunned.

Thanks! :D

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Multiplayer is fun!
Hopefully we'll have a full team next week, when other coworkers join us.
Regarding mp now, you can only do already unlocked single player quest, so it's good for grinding, but not much else so far.
BrHJDOcCEAEiIvB.jpg

Parakeetman

now that its the weekend tonight and tomorrow will have time to reply more and play. will record some footage too!

looking forward to spending more time with it as today hardly got any game time in to progress things. just a few farming runs on the train and 20 at lunch. (・ω・)

I was saying this on the Twitterz, but the overall game progression and moment to moment gameplay reminds me a lot of Ex-Troopers. Elements of hunting action, but a strong focus on 3rd person shooting and melee in the more traditional sense. Smaller levels and arenas, lots of running around the "base" to talk to NPCs, find things, and move along the plot.

They're obviously very different games, but the more I play, the less I feel like this belongs in the "hunting" genre.

It's pretty damn cool.

Parakeetman

I was saying this on the Twitterz, but the overall game progression and moment to moment gameplay reminds me a lot of Ex-Troopers. Elements of hunting action, but a strong focus on 3rd person shooting and melee in the more traditional sense. Smaller levels and arenas, lots of running around the "base" to talk to NPCs, find things, and move along the plot.

They're obviously very different games, but the more I play, the less I feel like this belongs in the "hunting" genre.

It's pretty damn cool.

whats nice is seeing how ranged vs melee isnt over powered either. ranged guys get messed up good if a melee character lands next to them. a lot of being a good melee user will most def depend on the ibara system

Top Bottom