• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

Linkin112

No steam sale. How saddening.
Even 20% off probably would have had many biting the bullet.
giphy.gif

I think it's fine.. most Jason's will eventually catch you. Jason is so powerful the counsellors should be allowed a few tricks.

All you need to do is use the Warp ability and cut them off. Better yet, pick up some throwing knifes, slow them down, clothesline them with Warp and then punish them for cheesing by using an execution grab move. Nothing says "Fuck you, got mine" better than a pitchfork to the cranium.

SuperPac

Ran into a duo who were working together as Jason and counselor tonight (watching it all as the first killed/spectating). The counselor would find another player, open locked/blocked doors for Jason to let him into houses and shut the door behind Jason or other counselors to put them in the same room and do enough damage so as to not betray but enough that they were dead meat. Ridiculous stuff. Then when they were the last counselor alive they got free hits on Jason and exited a window just to walk back into a trap the Jason had set. Ugh.

Luckily they left after that game. So annoying.

Spman2099

Ran into a duo who were working together as Jason and counselor tonight (watching it all as the first killed/spectating). The counselor would find another player, open locked/blocked doors for Jason to let him into houses and shut the door behind Jason or other counselors to put them in the same room and do enough damage so as to not betray but enough that they were dead meat. Ridiculous stuff. Then when they were the last counselor alive they got free hits on Jason and exited a window just to walk back into a trap the Jason had set. Ugh.

Luckily they left after that game. So annoying.

They left after that game because they are cowards. I was in a game where all the dead witnessed someone very intentionally glitching. So, we all agreed that we were going to hunt them in the next match, and made sure not to talk about it in the lobby (so they wouldn't see it coming). It was great.

That is the natural course correction for that kind of shit. However, cowards will just leave after they ruin the game for everyone else.

I really wish we had a way of reporting them. Getting them locked out of the game for a certain period of time would be awesome.

groansey

The counselor helping Jason is a common and massively disruptive issue.

The only way around it would be to let players toggle who can see their location on the map and toggle which players can spectate them after they've died.

Really enjoying this so far , glitches and all (PS4).

While a lot of the time it comes down to the spawn lottery, if you luck into a decent group and the RNG gods smile upon you, it can be great fun. Less so when you spawn miles from anything of use and all of the drawers are empty.

Have only managed to play as Jason a couple of times, but it's been a blast. Particularly like hunting people who have made it to a car across the map. Teleporting in front of them only to hear them scream over the mic as I smash the bonnet is great.

Have only encountered a couple of griefers, though they can be a pain in the ass. One guy last night kept team-killing, chasing others away from vehicles etc. I tried to lure Jason to his location, but didn't quite manage sadly.

I just wish it was a bit more stable, and that the matchmaking worked. Other than that, it's a lot of fun.

Linkin112

In my 52 hours playing the game, I've never had a match where someone was assisting Jason, so idk about it being common. The only times I've ever helped Jason was when the last person is a glitched out Tommy (Occurs when someone spawns as him and then the game crashes for them)

HiiiLife

Watching a recap of the F13(2009) movie and forgot Jason straight up runs at counselors. Fucking terrifying seeing big dudes like that charge at you lol. Same with Leatherface.

Watching a recap of the F13(2009) movie and forgot Jason straight up runs at counselors. Fucking terrifying seeing big dudes like that charge at you lol. Same with Leatherface.

I watched this the other day. I also documentary about f13, and the writers said they originally wanted to set it in the 80s but the studio said no. I do think the reboot lacks a certain charm that an 80s setting might have given it.

HiiiLife

I watched this the other day. I also documentary about f13, and the writers said they originally wanted to set it in the 80s but the studio said no. I do think the reboot lacks a certain charm that an 80s setting might have given it.

I completely forgot they attempted to "humanize" him with the whole "you look like my mom in this picture so I'll hold you hostage" along with those intricate alarms he had underground lol. Sharpening his machete and shit lol.

Got in a few rounds last night. I started off mostly playing as stealthy and repair counselors, but there's something really entertaining about being one of the strong ones and stunning Jason several times while other counselors try and escape. I died almost every time (except once when I stole the car and accidentally ran someone over) but I had damn fun doing it.

Paskil

Also looking to get in on the GAF PS4 community (if there is one). Sick of host quits. Had three in a row the other day and gave up for the night. I only have two friends I can count on to regularly play with so solo or in a group with them, always quick matches. :/

PSN is Sepherlawls. Feel free to send a friend invite or whatever.

Sephzilla

A well coordinated team can make it a very frustrating time for a Jason. Case in point, I was playing as Jason and four players were trying to escape via car. Every time I managed to stop the car all four of them got out of the car and wailed on me with baseball bats or drop firecrackers, and then got into the car and started driving off again. It got annoying because it made grabbing/killing them really hard as well. I did eventually get them because one of them screwed up, but man it was frustrating lol.

Also I didn't realize they updated the game so you could stop cars that were going in reverse.

Voorhees

Got in a few rounds last night. I started off mostly playing as stealthy and repair counselors, but there's something really entertaining about being one of the strong ones and stunning Jason several times while other counselors try and escape. I died almost every time (except once when I stole the car and accidentally ran someone over) but I had damn fun doing it.

Wait til you get an rare or epic perk that mitigates 40% damage. Then stack it with an increased melee stun chance and you are basically a trap-eating, Jason-stunning tank.

I completely forgot they attempted to "humanize" him with the whole "you look like my mom in this picture so I'll hold you hostage" along with those intricate alarms he had underground lol. Sharpening his machete and shit lol.

It could make for an interesting new game mode. Almost like capture the flag, except it's a counsellor you have to retrieve from Jason's lair and escape with.

Voorhees

I assume Double XP is not on yet? I don't have the 13,000 CP.

Should be live now

FB Update:

Our Double XP Event goes live at 12PM EST/9AM PST! Get double Experience Points every game from now until Monday the 26th, 12PM EST/9AM PST.
We've also added in 13,000 Customization Points to your account! (You must log in this weekend to get these points added!)
Simply log in (re-login if you are currently playing) to collect your points and start earning!

Moofers

I pulled the trigger on this last night on PS4 and am very happy I did. Thanks to SuperPac for bringing me into a cool group of players who know how to relax and have fun while also teaching me the basics!

I had a really good time playing this for a bit over 3 hours last night. I unlocked a handful of perks for counselors (though my CP earning slowed down a lot near the end of the night) and a couple of kills for Jason. I didn't get to actually play as Jason but I almost imagine it is more fun to be a counselor anyway. The constant cat and mouse dynamic kept me on the edge of my seat all night!

My heart was absolutely pounding during my first game. I was the last person alive and had no idea how to see if anyone was out there, or even where to go. Apparently, somebody else called the cops so all I needed to do was run to the exit where they were waiting, but I had no map and no idea what I was doing. I also got my camera locked in a really weird way when I hid inside a closet. I eventually got that fixed and made a run for where I thought the cops were, but I totally went the wrong way and got killed. I happened to turn on streaming near the end of the match if anyone cares to watch.

Despite bungling that first match, I enjoyed the experience. Like I said, my heart was really pounding. The game strikes a really nice balance of feeling pretty creepy at times, but no overwhelmingly so. And then you have these reminders that its so clearly a video game and you just laugh. Things like dead characters floating in the air, weird clipping, etc. But none of that really ruins the game. You just kind of shrug it off and keep going because you're having too much fun to care.

My 2nd match was pretty memorable. Most of the counselors managed to evade Jason until the police arrived on the scene. We all gathered at the exit but then because we had weapons, we decided to go back and mess with Jason before hauling ass back to the cops at the exit. Somebody missed their flare shot and there was a brief moment of panic, but I got mine to land and we were all laughing and running our asses off, having enjoyed the rush of taunting Jason one last time.That part should also be in the video.

The start of each match would always get me feeling anxious. I was always alone for a bit and I didn't have any great perks like some of my new friends did. They were starting the match with walkie talkies and/or maps and I was in a mad scramble for all that stuff, sometimes coming up empty-handed completely. I remember one game where I was tagging along with a guy who had a walkie so I felt connected to the group through him, but he left the building I was in for a bit and suddenly I was in this panic that I was isolated and without any support again.

Its a great time. Seriously, if you are on the fence about this one just go for it. I kept hemming and hawing between this and Dead by Daylight before finally just going for this one last night and I'm really glad I did.

rhoq

So is Matchmaking and general quality of play better now from Launch on PS4?

Thinking about buying this to get me over the 100 dollar mark to get me the 15 back.

Matchmaking is a lot better now, but image quality seems to have taken a bit of a hit in the latest update. I played it last night for the first time since the NES Jason update and the opening scene looked a lot worse than usual (soft/fuzzy with some pixilation). The game itself didn't look as sharp and also seemed buggier than usual. Still a lot of fun to play.

HiiiLife

Am i playing Overwatch because all I got were duplicates, or even shittier versions of the perks I had, except for 1 red one (swimming lol swimming??????)

GG smh.

Umbooki

I'm mad this game is actually in the running for my personal GOTY. A licensed Friday the 13th game in 2017.

I can't wait for the salt that'll come from rolling my 13k for perks.

How is the PS4 version these days? I play primarily on PC but my friends want to get it for PS4 and I'll double dip if the patches have made it more tolerable.

bunbun777

Well got the preparedness perk (not epic though) and a few more slugging perks.

Adam and Bubsy now start with a bat, have a higher chance of stun s and increased melee damage.

Other counselors start with map, walkie talkie, and use the greater chance to stun perk.

Wanted the epic thick skin perk but oh well.

Also have at least 2 weapon kills with each Jason with the head and heart puncher kills.

Majora

The perk where a bat causes Jason to be stunned for like a third longer seems like it could be incredibly useful but when push comes to shove I don't trust the melee collision detection in the game enough to use weapons unless I have absolutely zero choice, I'm always grabbed before they hit most of the time.

Linkin112

The perk where a bat causes Jason to be stunned for like a third longer seems like it could be incredibly useful but when push comes to shove I don't trust the melee collision detection in the game enough to use weapons unless I have absolutely zero choice, I'm always grabbed before they hit most of the time.
Yep :/

My recent strategy has been to turn around while Jason is chasing me and wind up an attack and just hope that he continues to walk right into it instead of stopping or turning. Sometimes it's in range and everything goes fine, other times his grab or melee take priority and RIP.

chaosaeon

Yep :/

My recent strategy has been to turn around while Jason is chasing me and wind up an attack and just hope that he continues to walk right into it instead of stopping or turning. Sometimes it's in range and everything goes fine, other times his grab or melee take priority and RIP.

Yeah you can be 90% through the animation of a swing and his grab can straight up cancel the whole swing from a distance of ten feet. I also put on the stun increase perk and it seems like he still only gets stunned 50% of the hits I land on him even with things like the bat and wrench. Also with increased stun duration perk he still recovers in about 4 seconds on me, so I'm not sure how effective anything really is.

Umbooki

Jason's grab range is fucked. If you're playing against a Jason that knows what they're doing, they can shift into your face and snatch your shit up without much counterplay.

Pocket knives are clutch.

Kintaco

Been seeing quite a few disconnects when Jason goes for the kill. Why can the kill be registered at the opening of the kill animation, it's not like anyone can be saved at that point. Pretty dumb to have to wait for the kill to complete.

Top Bottom