• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
T7nz37b.gif

oh Pokemon

I saw a picture of the drama on Twitter randomly, but it was so indecipherable I didn't even bother.

Also hi. I only have the passingest of interests in furrydom, but I figure if my best friend is well into it, I should probably acquaint myself some.

I saw a picture of the drama on Twitter randomly, but it was so indecipherable I didn't even bother.

Also hi. I only have the passingest of interests in furrydom, but I figure if my best friend is well into it, I should probably acquaint myself some.

Greetings! Welcome to the thread.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If anyone's interested, quick attempts of sketches of my fursona are in my scraps upload

Welcome to furry gaf

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

Run, run while you still can

Or don't, I mean whatever

Well, after some more digging around and conversation into the subject, as well as poking around the old thread, I can conclude with some certainty that you all are a bunch of
people who puzzle me as to why you remain picked on for an arbitrary characteristic.

I'm still kind of astonished the general stigma of furries remains to this day, especially since there doesn't seem to be any consistent reasoning. With bronies, you of course have your typical "girl's show" naysayers, and the nutjobs of the social justice movement who think that they, innately, support masculinism and drag that element kicking and screaming out of the show for all to see. Furries? Nothing consistent. I think a lot of people think it's a done thing. Of course I don't, though. It's just an area of interest. Means only as much as the people who brand themselves as such want it to. Or summin like that.

Now, as for me, I'm developing an interest in the more lean and casual side of art, the kind you see on, say, this album artwork:

But not so much this:

I'll confess that I actually liked the art of Dust: An Elysian Tail. Everyone says that it's amateur hour dA shit...and they're right, but I think it has an honest, universal quality to it. It's ripe for self-projection and malleability. Ripe for fursona forging, if you will. Speaking of which, I showed my friend this one and claimed this as my fursona as a joke:

But it's mostly because the picture honestly feels a little humiliating, as if it was created as a non-bisexual deviant's view of the rest of us to laugh at. Like, I hope this isn't the go-to image when discussing my ilk.
Also I've never raised a Glaceon.
Getting to a particular boss in Dead Rising 3 didn't really help in this regard.

Whoops, this post went on for a while.

I didn't realise that there was a new thread for this.

And I didn't even check the thread for a long, long time. Might as well as update my subscriptions.

So how's everyone? *hides*

(I think it might be a good time for me to reintroduce myself. Should I?)

Well, after some more digging around and conversation into the subject, as well as poking around the old thread, I can conclude with some certainty that you all are a bunch of
people who puzzle me as to why you remain picked on for an arbitrary characteristic.

I'm still kind of astonished the general stigma of furries remains to this day, especially since there doesn't seem to be any consistent reasoning. With bronies, you of course have your typical "girl's show" naysayers, and the nutjobs of the social justice movement who think that they, innately, support masculinism and drag that element kicking and screaming out of the show for all to see. Furries? Nothing consistent. I think a lot of people think it's a done thing. Of course I don't, though. It's just an area of interest. Means only as much as the people who brand themselves as such want it to. Or summin like that.
I'd say the inconsistent reasoning is largely why the stigma remains. There was so much crap happening with furries that most people (including me) find disturbing/disgusting that there are now many ways in which people could dislike furries. For example, the whole "animals with human sexual characteristics" part has convinced many that all furries want to have sex with animals, and public exposure with the whole cheapo mascot costume stuff in television shows and other media has others thinking furries are people who have sex in mascot costumes. None of these people would ever bother investigating further, so they continue to associate furries exclusively with these disgusting concepts. And then of course you have shit like the Twitch incident where furries get associated with drama.

Now, as for me, I'm developing an interest in the more lean and casual side of art, the kind you see on, say, this album artwork:

But not so much this:

Huh, I've seen this band before, though their album art had their actual selves (for the most recent album, at least). "Charity Auction Ninja" was pretty funny.

I'll confess that I actually liked the art of Dust: An Elysian Tail. Everyone says that it's amateur hour dA shit...and they're right, but I think it has an honest, universal quality to it. It's ripe for self-projection and malleability. Ripe for fursona forging, if you will.
The faces of the characters in Dust always looked kinda off to me. I think it may have something to do about how the eyes look, as Dust himself looked fine until he took off his hat. The incredibly garish color schemes of most of the characters were also annoying.

Speaking of which, I showed my friend this one and claimed this as my fursona as a joke:

But it's mostly because the picture honestly feels a little humiliating, as if it was created as a non-bisexual deviant's view of the rest of us to laugh at. Like, I hope this isn't the go-to image when discussing my ilk.
Also I've never raised a Glaceon.
Getting to a particular boss in Dead Rising 3 didn't really help in this regard.

Whoops, this post went on for a while.
o_O (Yeah unfortunately its weird stuff like this that gets associated most often with furries. Of course with Boss Doggie being everywhere on GAF, I wonder if people are associating furries with overly muscled dudes now.)

I didn't realise that there was a new thread for this.

And I didn't even check the thread for a long, long time. Might as well as update my subscriptions.

So how's everyone? *hides*

(I think it might be a good time for me to reintroduce myself. Should I?)

You should!

Refyref

Well, I don't have much to add that you two didn't bring up already. At least, nothing that I can think of at midnight. People's attention is often drawn to the most extreme/weird thing in a certain field.

The first album cover that Lowlander posted looked pretty cool to me, so I looked for the full size of it.

And Noivern, it's a new thread, reintroduce away!

It may be selection bias that I'm imagining here, but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of male x male pairing and homoerotic furry art in general. It would be interesting to see if people who identify as furries were more likely to be LGBTQ as well.

Are there any non-LGBTQ furries who find themselves attracted to male anthropomorphic figures and couples, but are completely unattracted to human males?
I think that would be an interesting area of research.

I've been casually pondering about the effect of epigenetics, hormones, and brain structure on sex, gender, and sexuality, and whether there's some general trend that causes comorbidity between identities. (Some sort of pattern, maybe, that shows stronger correlation between identities existing when another is present, and stuff like that.)

CHEEZMO™;91297234 said:
In my experience, most Queer furs about 6 months before they start identifying as Queer haw haw.

Teenage me did this. ;_; "I'm not gay! I just think these male werewolves are really hot! There's nothing wrong with that!"

I was kind of surprised to find that, according to survey data, the furry population actually leans toward the heterosexual end of the spectrum. I had always assumed it skewed the other way based on the (limited) exposure I've had to other furries IRL. (And stereotypes.)

It may be selection bias that I'm imagining here, but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of male x male pairing and homoerotic furry art in general. It would be interesting to see if people who identify as furries were more likely to be LGBTQ as well.

There was a time (late 90s early 00s) when the furry fandom seemed disproportionately homosexual, if only because it was a place that identified as somewhere for the "outcasts" (gay/queer) to be. Many teen gays were attracted to the fandom - anthropomorphicmagnitism aside - because it accepted. The reason for it being accepted, likely stemmed from it having been formed/founded/grown from a memetic base of self-identified outcasts.

These days though, I'd say it's a pretty even split.

Me, I just like drawing animal guys and dragon dudes (http://spacebowser.tumblr.com/)

Huh, I've seen this band before, though their album art had their actual selves (for the most recent album, at least). "Charity Auction Ninja" was pretty funny.

Their two most recent albums have themselves on the album cover. I bought all of them save for You Should Drink More around six months ago, and that was only because I ran out of money at the time. They're very good, but I wish they would buy a drum set already, because it makes their live shows seem a teensy tacky.

I learned about them through Rock Band. Ahh, Rock Band. Now there's a burgeoning passion of mine.

You should!

OK, here goes (again)...

Some people probably already know me as Cuteness Overload. Well, I changed my username a while back to Noivern...

I'm more of a scalie, to be honest, with my preference leaning towards things of the draconic variety. As for how long I'm into this kind of things, I'm more of a drifter. (I guess I never live it down.)

Nice to meet ya all. :)

Top Bottom