• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

illmatic is a better listen
reasonable doubt has higher highs and lower lows

pretty much like all things w/ hov and nas.

i think im one of the few people who's favorite hov album is Vol 2. it's commercial as shit but its the only one i can play all the way through.

No one even contemplated Illmatic v Reasonable Doubt until Jay-Z started revising history. Until then the sky was blue, water was wet, Illmatic was a top 5 greatest album of the 90s and Reasonable Doubt was just some album that came out the year It Was Written dominated everything.

kamspy

They're the same tier anyways.

God tier rap albums. Feel free to make suggestions.

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Midnight Marauders
Ridin' Dirty
Straight Outta Compton
E.1999 Eternal
Chapter 2: World Domination
Predator
Me Against the World
Makaveli
Ready to Die
Comin' Out Hard
36 Chambers
Cuban Links
Moment of Truth
Illmatic
Reasonable Doubt
ATliens
Still Standing

On the outside looking in:

Urban Legend
Trap Muzik
Tical 1 & 2
93 Til Infinity
Resurrection
Ghetto Dope
Game Related
Lethal Injection
Power of the Dollar
Supreme Clientele

(10 Year Rule in effect for me)

kamspy

No one even contemplated Illmatic v Reasonable Doubt until Jay-Z started revising history. Until then the sky was blue, water was wet, Illmatic was a top 5 greatest album of the 90s and Reasonable Doubt was just some album that came out the year It Was Written dominated everything.

It worked. I didn't know wtf it was when it came out and only saw the Ain't No Ninja video to base it off. But when Vol 1 came out and everyone started bumping it I went back and got enlightened.

Also, which songs would you guys trim off Reasonable Doubt? I just loaded it up and can't find one.

kamspy

Reasonable Doubt is definitely dope, but I'm sure it's even a top five 90s mafioso hip hop record

Hot summer day. Just washed the car. Wearing brand new clothes with a brand new fade and line up. Nice lil blunt of haze and maybe a lil oxy. Windows down but A/C still on cuz fuck it. Nice heavy chain with a little weight on the back on the neck. Some good wrist wrappery.

The theme song for those days: http://youtu.be/G787_r_y6GU

Also, Mafioso? If this isn't the best 90s mafioso rap song I don't know what is. http://youtu.be/JC7MJ8l73SQ

DominoKid

It worked. I didn't know wtf it was when it came out and only saw the Ain't No Ninja video to base it off. But when Vol 1 came out and everyone started bumping it I went back and got enlightened.

Also, which songs would you guys trim off Reasonable Doubt? I just loaded it up and can't find one.

just my opinion but...

aint no nigga
feelin it
coming of age
can i live 2 (depending on how i feel at a given moment. i like regrets as the closer.)

but all those are unchecked in my itunes.

kamspy

just my opinion but...

aint no nigga
feelin it
coming of age
can i live 2 (depending on how i feel at a given moment. i like regrets as the closer.)

but all those are unchecked in my itunes.

dead. Might be my favorite track on the album. Such a great vibe.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Murder is a tough thing to digest, it's a slow process
And I ain't got nothing but time
I had near brushes, not to mention
3 shots close range, never touched me, divine intervention
Can't stop I, from drinking Mai-Tai's, with Ty-Ty
Down in Nevada, ha ha, Poppa, word life
I dabbled in crazy weight
Without rap, I was crazy straight
Partna, I'm still spending money from '88

I find this to be one of the coldest verses he dropped.

Alot of truth to this statement, Illmatic was an instant classic, Reasonable Doubt had to "grow" on people (I thought it was incredible album the first time I heard it however).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Reasonable Doubt is definitely dope, but I'm sure it's even a top five 90s mafioso hip hop record

Not saying I agree or disagree, but this opinion should also come with a list of the top five 90s mafioso hip hop records, imo. My memory fails me.

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Midnight Marauders
Ridin' Dirty
Straight Outta Compton
E.1999 Eternal
Predator
Me Against the World
Makaveli
Ready to Die
Comin' Out Hard
36 Chambers
Cuban Links
Moment of Truth
Illmatic
Reasonable Doubt
ATliens
Still Standing

Mobb Deep's Hell On Earth

It's the quintessential NY street album of its era.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but this opinion should also come with a list of the top five 90s mafioso hip hop records, imo.

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx
Nas - It Was Written
AZ - Doe Or Die
Kool G Rap - 4,5,6
Notorious BIG - Life After Death

I'd love to get more people's lists on this. Reasonable Doubt is dope, a classic, etc. But ya boy will confidently litigate this issue

Macca

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Midnight Marauders
Ridin' Dirty
Straight Outta Compton
E.1999 Eternal
Predator
Me Against the World
Makaveli
Ready to Die
Comin' Out Hard
36 Chambers
Cuban Links
Moment of Truth
Illmatic
Reasonable Doubt
ATliens
Still Standing

Urban Legend
Trap Muzik
Tical 1 & 2
93 Til Infinity
Resurrection
Ghetto Dope
Game Related
Lethal Injection
Power of the Dollar
Supreme Clientele

Liquid Swords without a doubt.

Esch

Banned
Is better than sex. Smoke that shit, son.

Didn't really feel that way. Also sex isnt that itchy. Why this so itchy tho,

haha, i was just on a dilaudid IV for a couple days straight last weekend. they thought it was going to jack me all up, i'm just like we'll see... 10 seconds later i feel it hit me, but i'm not even high and the shit barely took away my pain. i'm like if you guys are diluting this you need to quit, cus i've got a pretty high tolerance. next drip put me on my ass ;)

I was on dilaudid for a serious hospital visit and the shit was alright. It didn't help with my nerve pain from injury at all. Useless.

He's honestly right. Oxycontin, Oxymorphone, and Fentanyl are supposed to be stronger.

Classic albums list sans Liquid Swords? :lol

Liquid Swords shouldn't be called a classic next to Illmatic. RIP Yoda

Nas - It Was Written
AZ - Doe Or Die
Kool G Rap - 4,5,6

I'd love to get more people's lists on this. Reasonable Doubt is dope, a classic, etc. But ya boy will confidently litigate this issue
hmm, is there a list of mafiso rap from the 90s?

without checking

Jay-z - Reasonable Doubt
Big Pun - Capital Punishment
Nas - It was Written
Raekwon - Only built for Cubin Linx
Biggie - Life After Death

Some of those are in that list only cause I'm not sure of all the albums like that were released in 90s.

The Chronic
Doggystyle
Midnight Marauders
Ridin' Dirty
Straight Outta Compton
E.1999 Eternal
Predator
Me Against the World
Makaveli
Ready to Die
Comin' Out Hard
36 Chambers
Cuban Links
Moment of Truth
Illmatic
Reasonable Doubt
ATliens
Still Standing

Urban Legend
Trap Muzik
Tical 1 & 2
93 Til Infinity
Resurrection
Ghetto Dope
Game Related
Lethal Injection
Power of the Dollar
Supreme Clientele

Great list..

Does these LP's get any little credit. Just curious thx

Dmx-Its Dark and Hell is Hot
tHE Marshall Mathers LP

E: Also going through my old room at my parents crib I saw some cassette tapes I must kept from back in the days..Played them and lol thinking about the past

Lost Boys- Renee
GangStarr-Mass Appeal
Major Figgas-Yeah that's Us
Above the Law-Black Superman
Dru Down- Pimp of the Year..

Just to name a few

Brought back some memories of highschool era and being a knucklehead too back then...lol

Tokubetsu

Great list..

Does these LP's get any little credit. Just curious thx

Dmx-Its Dark and Hell is Hot
tHE Marshall Mathers LP

MM LP aged poorly. I wouldn't put up there, and I like Em. SSLP or Infinite are the only records in Em's catalog that even come close to getting on a list like that.

Esch

Banned
Liquid Swords shouldn't be called a classic next to Illmatic. RIP Yoda

agreeing with yoda makes you objectively wrong and bad at everything

if you dont think Liquid Swords is a classic seriously though you have no taste.

I've been listening to the older hip hop music and hearing artists collab and make good music for ex, Redman and Method, Pac and Dre, Snoop and Dre, Nate and Warren G and so on. My question is which artists would you like to see collab and make some deep music that we woud bang our pioneer systems to it everyday. And not just one song. I mean an LP or tons of mixtapes. Or am I missing out on some of those tapes... J/K on the pioneer system

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nas - It Was Written
AZ - Doe Or Die
Kool G Rap - 4,5,6

That's the list I expected, exact. The more I listen to IWW (which I may or may not like enough to get gully and argue as better than Illmatic) the less of a mafioso album it feels. So I guess I'd easily take Jay-Z's debut over that, on this very specific list.
I've been listening to the older hip hop music and hearing artists collab and make good music for ex, Redman and Method, Pac and Dre, Snoop and Dre, Nate and Warren G and so on. My question is which artists would you like to see collab and make some deep music that we woud bang our pioneer systems to it everyday. And not just one song. I mean an LP or tons of mixtapes. Or am I missing out on some of those tapes... J/K on the pioneer system

Kool G Rap and Big Pun :(

Detox

Dr Dre and Ice Cube, Heltah Skeltah would have been amazing.

"Made You Die" - Yasiin Bey, dead prez & mikeflo
[Trayvon Martin Tribute]

M1 calls Yasiin Bey, Mos Def lol

That's the list I expected, exact. The more I listen to IWW (which I may or may not like enough to get gully and argue as better than Illmatic) the less of a mafioso album it feels. So I guess I'd easily take Jay-Z's debut over that, on this very specific list.

It's pretty much the definition of mafioso from start to finish though. First time I heard it I thought it was alright, and just a mainstream take on OB4CL. But after multiple listens over the years it's pretty much a classic outside of Black Girl Lost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFy2t-q6pE

Probably the best pure storytelling mafioso track imo. What a shame almost no one raps like this anyone

It's pretty much the definition of mafioso from start to finish though. First time I heard it I thought it was alright, and just a mainstream take on OB4CL. But after multiple listens over the years it's pretty much a classic outside of Black Girl Lost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFy2t-q6pE

Probably the best pure storytelling mafioso track imo. What a shame almost no one raps like this anyone

I wish they did..Love to listen to good storytelling...

lol @ comments on the clip

Esch

Banned
I like IWW a lot, but man RD has some of my favorite rap cuts ever. Bklyns finest, d'evils, dead presidents 2, 22 twos, coming of age... not only does jigga have some of the dopest beats from Ski and Preem but he uses a lot of different flows and rhyme schemes. this album is just another reason as to why Jay is the most versatile emcee of all time.

I think there are more throwaway/meh songs on IWW than RD honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom