• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2014 Hip-Hop Awards | The Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Rookie of the year is just your favorite rookie. I didn't vote for Rashad for mine (Goldlink) but it makes perfect sense. A lot of people don't fuck with Thug, for good reason.

Artist of the Year should be somebody who is every where probably? Minor sure RTJ should be on top, but they dropped one of the best albums of the year.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
H&C was a grower.
Oxy was a bunch of great singles. A few inoffensive but ultimately padding for the album. then a bunch of downers that killed any semblance that it could have had as an album experience.

I often forget that I re-tracked that album and killed the purge from my hard drive.

CRS

Why did Azaelia get biggest L? Her album finally released and was far better than anyone expected.

By using Twitter. Through social media, she has insulted and pretty much burned bridges with tons of artists, regardless of their status in the industry.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why did Azaelia get biggest L? Her album finally released and was far better than anyone expected.
Her rival ended up getting her big break and launching herself into stardom, and as a final ditch attempt, Banks decided to go full hypocrite and be racist herself in order to criticize racism to help build buzz for her album (the kind of shit she usually does to get people to temporarily care about her, but on a bigger scale). In the process, she made a mockery of a pseudo-legitimate issue in the culture, and people forgot about other, previous, better attempts at commentary in favour of her fuckery.

Surprised that Mustard didn't win PotY. I don't love his stuff (its repetitive as fuck) but you can't argue that he didn't run the game in 2014. Everywhere you went it was Mustard on the beat hoe. But Mike-WILL always comes with heat so I don't mind that pick either.

TDE was definitely most disappointing. Top Dawg talmbout he's got 6 projects ready to drop in 2014 and all we got was basura from Soul, a disappointment from Q, a pleasant surprise from Rashad, a forgettable record from SZA, Pay for It, and the dreaded i. They had all that hype off GKMC and Control and the BET cypher and haven't built any forward momentum from it.

No Iggy in sight. No Shady in sight. Culture Vultures lost

ohlawd

Mike moving up

I remember when he was a goofball working with Linkin Park. He did that song with the ratios and power of will crap.

IrishNinja

JUSTICE IS SERVED~
again tight work CRS

Her rival ended up getting her big break and launching herself into stardom, and as a final ditch attempt, Banks decided to go full hypocrite and be racist herself in order to criticize racism to help build buzz for her album (the kind of shit she usually does to get people to temporarily care about her, but on a bigger scale). In the process, she made a mockery of a pseudo-legitimate issue in the culture, and people forgot about other, previous, better attempts at commentary in favour of her fuckery.

this is actually a great summary right here, almost wanna tweet it at her in cheddahz' name

Another year of gaf-hop being gaf-hop

it can't rain all the time, beloved

...one vote for krit? ok gaf.

:p

yeah and that was a pity one, too - based on prior (great) works, to be honest

GamerSoul

Pretty middling album tbh. I think I've come to accept he's peaked with his early tapes; even when tackling a concept album he didn't bring anything exciting to the table. He also needs better hooks.

I enjoyed it but I agree he still struggles with hooks. Cadillactica would've been one of my favorite songs from him, if it had a better hook. I still think overall his message is there with tracks like Soul Food and Lost Generations but, almost as important, he is still producing some sounds where I'm not sure I can find anywhere else.

What a mediocre album, that's why. Completely average.

Maybe it's just me but I felt it was a definite step up from his Live from the Underground. I've heard all his previous work and I was satisfied with this one but I guess I'm in the minority. lol. As long as he keeps producing, I'll give it a listen.

Saying that, I have a lot of catching up to do with some of these albums.

HiResDes

Goldlink didn't make it. Thought he would :[

Days Before Rodeo is the worst part.
Not enough people listen to artists they've never heard of even on GAF-Hop. I think they'd rather wait for them to blow on the blog sphere or the billboards even. Listening to some unknown bandcamp artist or Fader backed breakout is the equivalent of succumbing to hipsterism to them.

IrishNinja

Not enough people listen to artists they've never heard of even on GAF-Hop. I think they'd rather wait for them to blow on the blog sphere or the billboards even. Listening to some unknown bandcamp artist or Fader backed breakout is the equivalent of succumbing to hipsterism to them.

:umad:
for real though, i did get in on that one too late, and it's fantastic so if it lost by 1 vote ill take the L

studyguy

His shit was fire though. I'm legit excited to see what else he drops.

injurai

Banned

To be fair, some of us are digging deep in other genres too. Sorry fam.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Krit and Q both had great albums. Gafhop just likes to destroy the things it loves the most. Nobody is safe from it.

I should have found the time to vote, some real fuckery going on this time around.

IrishNinja

CRS for posterity i would like to add my runner-up for biggest L as siddx's absent list

i mean he's got a point about destroying idols (poor kenny) but those albums were booty buttcheeks

injurai

Banned
Krit and Q both had great albums. Gafhop just likes to destroy the things it loves the most. Nobody is safe from it.

I should have found the time to vote, some real fuckery going on this time around.

Q has it in him, I think we see it. But he got sloppy, was a mess at the release of Oxy. It left a sour taste based on expectations and the borked flow of the album. It was like it was trying to be 3 or 4 things at once.

Krit's album was solid. Sort of the prime example of sticking to the basics and doing them well to get by. But that's not enough for people anymore. It was good enough, it was a good palate cleanser album.

IrishNinja

it was a one & done album with some parts so boring i thought cole had his paws on it

i mean fuck even the standout track you came for - mount olympus - somehow got neutered by the final cut

i mean, not terrible or anything, but KRIT is a good artist when he's on, and this wasn't one of those times

siddx

CRS for posterity i would like to add my runner-up for biggest L as siddx's absent list

i mean he's got a point about destroying idols (poor kenny) but those albums were booty buttcheeks

We just have a tendency to hype the fuck out of artists and then just as enthusiastically shit all over them when they don't meet our lofty expectations. When I listened to both albums later on after all my hype and expectation was gone, I found myself enjoying the fuck out of both.

Honestly my list wouldn't have done much to change votes, Parental Advisory for song of the year.

overcast

Yeah, but you can't really expect everyone to dive super deep into it. I try to, but it's tough. Only so much time and there is just so much damn music. Some people have less time than me, so I try to understand to a point.
for real though, i did get in on that one too late, and it's fantastic so if it lost by 1 vote ill take the L
I think it lost by one brah. Lmao.
This is the best 2014 had to offer according to Gaf-Hop? SMH
What's wrong with it? Plenty of people disagree, but at least offer something to say.

Breh we all know Animal Ambition was miles better than Rtj2. Fiddy got robbed son.

Lol alright nah sorry. Just stubbed my toe real hard so my post came off a little douchier than intended.
But nah it's a solid list. Just some a them nominations got me scratchin my head. That and I can't stand Mike-Will.

siddx

Mike-will has run out of anything interesting to produce, his shit all sounds tired and generic now. Lifespan of producers these days is frighteningly short, I was enjoying his work a year ago and now "mike will made it" is almost an auto skip.
I've rationed my mustard listening hoping to avoid something similar.

As far as HiRes being mad we don't listen to unheard of artists enough, my excuse is I just don't have time to download and then listen through every potentially dope unknown rapper. I used to when I was a single dude living with his cat in a tiny apartment without shit to do. But life just hasn't scheduled me any "filter through the weak ass drake impersonators to find a gem" time these days.

DominoKid

if mike will of all people sounds tired and generic then you should just never listen to mustard again and save yourself the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom