• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Steamgifts Group Invite Thread

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
RoaringHawk said:
Every time someone creates a giveaway, everyone gets 10% of the value of it. That's pretty much it.

EDIT: Actually it's 5%
Wow, they lowered it.

Fuzzy said:
Wow, they lowered it.

Yeah :/

and the invites price is changing all the time. Yesterday, I could generate one for 58 points, now it's 66! It wasn't like that before if I remember correctly.

Jzero

Can some awesome person please send an invite code my way please? i will love you for ever :lol

Edit: Don't be greedy people, i gave a lot of you Google + and music invites :)

flkk

Neo Member
RoaringHawk said:

and the invites price is changing all the time. Yesterday, I could generate one for 58 points, now it's 66! It wasn't like that before if I remember correctly.

"The number of points required to generate an invite dynamically changes based on site activity."

Fuzzy

RoaringHawk said:

I actually noticed it goes up and down. I saw it for mid-60 then mid-50 and then back up to mid-60.

flkk

Neo Member
Fuzzy said:
Wow, they lowered it.

Makes sense to me... when it was 10% I had enough to enter all the games I wanted and then some. This forces me and everyone else to be a little more selective when entering.

Fuzzy

Tiagomnh said:
Do you guys still have invites? I would love one!
Invites are going to be a lot more rare since they cut the amount of points we get in half.

Boney

Banned
Error: We require all registered users to have at least $50.00 worth of games associated with their Steam account. This is to prevent users from creating multiple Steam accounts for use on this site, which might result in cheating. Currently your account is valued at $49.97. If you believe this was an error, please contact us.

oh cmon!!

bluestuff

Boney said:
Error: We require all registered users to have at least $50.00 worth of games associated with their Steam account. This is to prevent users from creating multiple Steam accounts for use on this site, which might result in cheating. Currently your account is valued at $49.97. If you believe this was an error, please contact us.

oh cmon!!
a shame, a damm shame

give me your code :)

Fuzzy

Boney said:

oh cmon!!
Do you have the free games from nvidia? That might bump you up.

http://steampowered.com/nvidia/

geeko

I'm ready to sign up, can anyone throw me a code please. I have a few games just burning a hole in my pocket.

Something tells me this is going to be like Lockers: at first it was a fun site where you had a great community and legit reasons to be there and everyone could be and was a winner if you tried. Now? It's a fucking advertisement cash farm.

With Steamgifts I see a great community, but the more people will join, the less people will care cause the chances of winning will be as good as winning a small scale lottery.

Fuzzy

geeko420 said:
It's portal, which everyone already has.
I actually remember someone in the normal Steam thread asking for that yesterday or Monday because they didn't.

Fuzzy

Jzero15 said:
how do invites work? every member get's one or what?
Every member gets points worth 5% of all new giveaways. Those points can be used as entries for games (ex. $20 game = 20 points for 1 entry and you can't buy more than 1 entry). Points can also be used to buy invitations (currently 66 points but that amount goes up and down through the day).

Jzero

InfectedZero said:
You generate points that you either spend on giveaways or on invites.

Fuzzy said:
Every member gets points worth 5% of all new giveaways. Those points can be used as entries for games (ex. $20 game = 20 points for 1 entry and you can't buy more than 1 entry). Points can also be used to buy invitations (currently 66 points but that amount goes up and down through the day).
oh wow no wonder no one's giving invites.

flkk

Neo Member
Jzero15 said:
oh wow no wonder no one's giving invites.

Yea, no kidding. At the current rate, it takes $1320 of new giveaways getting created to earn 66 points for an invite. Yesterday, $1400 of giveaways were created, so it takes roughly 24 hours to earn enough points for 1 invite.

And 60 points is an entry in MW3 or Skyrim, so people are being understandably stingy.

shagg_187 said:
Something tells me this is going to be like Lockers: at first it was a fun site where you had a great community and legit reasons to be there and everyone could be and was a winner if you tried. Now? It's a fucking advertisement cash farm.

With Steamgifts I see a great community, but the more people will join, the less people will care cause the chances of winning will be as good as winning a small scale lottery.

Meh. It's always been a small scale lottery. That's simply what it is, I don't think more/less people changes that.

They're up to over 18k registered users, so there's already been a pretty big influx of people. When I joined, I think there was just around 1k and while its true that there used to be less people per giveaway, there was also a lot less giveaways!!

Check out their statistics page, every time there is a bump in the users registered, there is also a clear increase in giveaways http://www.steamgifts.com/stats

Anyways, props to the guys who run the site who are always updating it, and are working hard to keep it awesome. The increase in cost of invites and decrease in number of points earned are both recent changes, meant to make invites and giveaway entries more precious, which work well together to reduce the rate of new people joining and existing members joining too many giveaways.

When the site first started, there wasn't even a point system and everybody was joining everything, even things they already owned. That was madness! :S

Top Bottom