• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gallup: LGBT Identification Up, Vermont Highest (5.3%), South Dakota Lowest (2.0%)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/203513/vermont-leads-states-lgbt-identification.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Vermont tops a new ranking of states by the portion of adults in 2015 and 2016 who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) at 5.3%. Massachusetts (4.9%), California (4.9%), Oregon (4.9%) and Nevada (4.8%) round out the top five.

xqahwuxnh0obusqeohsbbw.png

These figures are based on combined 2015 and 2016 data from more than 400,000 interviews and update Gallup's state-level estimates from 2012. Consistent with Gallup research showing national increases in the percentage of adults identifying as LGBT from 3.5% in 2012 to 4.1% in 2016, the vast majority of states and the District of Columbia (42 out of 51) also report increases. However, most of the state-level changes are not statistically significant.

Percentage of U.S. Adults Identifying as LGBT by State, 2015-2016
Do you, personally, identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender?
2015-2016
%
District of Columbia 8.6
Vermont 5.3
Massachusetts 4.9
California 4.9
Oregon 4.9
Nevada 4.8
Delaware 4.7
New Hampshire 4.6
Washington 4.6
New York 4.5
Maine 4.5
Colorado 4.3
Florida 4.2
New Mexico 4.2
Indiana 4.1
Rhode Island 4.0
Arizona 4.0
Minnesota 4.0
Georgia 4.0
Illinois 3.9
Maryland 3.9
Hawaii 3.8
Michigan 3.8
Ohio 3.8
Louisiana 3.7
Texas 3.6
Pennsylvania 3.6
New Jersey 3.6
Nebraska 3.6
Wyoming 3.5
Oklahoma 3.5
North Carolina 3.5
Connecticut 3.5
Virginia 3.4
Wisconsin 3.4
Missouri 3.4
West Virginia 3.4
Utah 3.3
Kentucky 3.3
Iowa 3.2
Mississippi 3.2
Tennessee 3.1
Kansas 3.1
Alaska 3.0
Alabama 3.0
Arkansas 3.0
Montana 3.0
South Carolina 3.0
Idaho 2.8
North Dakota 2.7
South Dakota 2.0

The gayest red state is Florida at 4.2%, and the straightest blue state is Virginia at 3.4%. There are no red states in the top to gayest states, and no blue states in the bottom 10.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The estimates of 2% (via quick google search) are certainly underestimating.

That "debunked" 10% estimate is looking more realistic now.

It's probably closer to 10%, perhaps even close to 15 to 20%, if you include those who are more fluid. I know a lot of transsexuals and the amount of guys who identify as straight yet loves the cock is quite staggering. Purely anecdotal, of course. Western ideas of masculinity and femininity is probably preventing a larger portion to identify themselves as anything but 'straight'.

Woorloog

Banned
The estimates of 2% (via quick google search) are certainly underestimating.

That "debunked" 10% estimate is looking more realistic now.

It's probably closer to 10%, perhaps even close to 15 to 20%, if you include those who are more fluid. I know a lot of transsexuals and the amount of guys who identify as straight yet loves the cock is quite staggering. Purely anecdotal, of course. Western ideas of masculinity and femininity is probably preventing a larger portion to identify themselves as anything but 'straight'.

I would assume a lot of people deny their identity due to growing in a hostile environment. Or simply don't want to admit it, or somehow define attraction/identity differently (because, let's be honest, we humans are very good at mental gymnastics regardless of the subject). Frankly, i expect the number to be even higher than 10% worldwide, but i also expect it will take a long time for that to become apparent.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This whole thing really underscores how much of coming out can be stifled by the culture of the place you live in.

And how much legalization of gay marriage has done to remove some of the stigma in our society with identifying as gay.

Brashnir

This whole thing really underscores how much of coming out can be stifled by the culture of the place you live in.

yeah the map looks pretty much exactly as I'd expect.

I bet if you broke it down by county, it would look even more like the electoral map.

I wish there was a breakdown of each of the groups.
This times a thousand. There was another (?) one a few weeks ago that didn't show subgroups either.

Bi erasure does a lot of the job too.

Poppy

that's why you'd always say when you're going from mass to VT, you're exiting the bay state and entering the gay state

proud to be a vermonter

I'm very curious what the actual number is, especially when including those that only feel a minimal amount of same sex attraction. I wonder if it could be approaching even 20%, but I doubt we'll know anytime soon with the stigma and all that fun stuff.

The west coast is gay as fuck lol. But seriously, the higher percentage of LGBT people is probably due to the state level rights and law that protect them. The top states have anti discrimination laws that would protect LGBT people in case someone wants to fire them for being gay.

Woohoo, living in the 6th least queer state in the country. Feels great having a bunch of straight bigots in charge of laws affecting my well-being.
:(

Unfortunately that's tough to do when your parents hate the gays and you like in a state where it's okay to fire lgbt.

My cousin had to move across the country from North Carolina to Oregon to feel comfortable coming out. I'll always hate his parents for what they did to him (crazy evangelicals). He did the right thing getting the fuck out. He's an awesome guy and I love him so I'm happy he was able to do that. Would be nice to see him more than once every few years though...:(

Galang

Banned
Come on out y'all. Be at peace with yourself in this world.

The world is cruel. Even being out myself I can fully sympathize and understand people who chose to stay in the closet. I'm not saying it's not better, but it's not always that simple either

He/she is being sarcastic. Everyone should use the sarcasm tag to properly emphasis sarcasm on the internet. It's very difficult to sense it on the internet.

Agreed lol. But there are some people who legitimately do not know the differences and the fact that multiple genders and sexes exist. Don't blame them though, most of the world still believes that sexual orientation and gender identity are simple things that can easily be explained, and thats somehow despite how we all understand how complex the rest of the human brain is, but hey, sexual orientation must be a binary thing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom