• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: The Top 30 Developers of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

Exactly. His responses are hilarious and deranged.

I don't know know why it's so hard for him to answer what his personal most emotionally resonant game experience is. I mean,it's not bait, it's just a question, since I can't off the top of my head think of many other emotionally powerful games. I mean, Bioshock/Infinite come to mind, as does FFVII (Aries) and a few others, but they don't compare.

Not baiting. Right.

andymcc

Banned
Seriously, if anything it's the high point in an otherwise pretty questionable list.

if wasn't for MAME we would have so many arcade classics that would be lost to time forever. but, man, let's argue over the rightful place of a company that makes that interactive version of romancing the stone.

StuBurns

Banned
The idea of being a 'fan' of a studio is bizarre. I'm not a ND fan because I think TLoU is amazing, anymore than I'm a ND hater for thinking UC3 is crap.

imBask

Banned
Exactly. His responses are hilarious and deranged.

I don't know know why it's so hard for him to answer what his personal most emotionally resonant game experience is. I mean, it's not bait, it's just a question, since I can't off the top of my head think of many other emotionally powerful games. I mean, Bioshock/Infinite come to mind, as does FFVII (Aries) and a few others, but they don't compare.

i'll defend him by saying it might not be a bait for you, but as soon as he'll post "my game is _____" the "defense force" will hop on the opportunity to cherry-pick how bad X part in that game was bad or how TLoU was better than that game without mentionning why

risky business

BHZ Mayor

I can't wait until the day this ridiculous "defense force" bullshit gets banned.

It's an insult to anyone that wants to have a reasonable discussion.

How is it an insult when three threads in a row were locked directly because of it, and this thread started off almost immediately on that note?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601626
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603466
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603801

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=66413736&postcount=8

ND and R* are honorable mentions but Mojang is there. Get that fucking shit outta here. Worst opinion ever. If we asked everyone their top 30 devs I am sure 99% of them will include ND or R*.

zoukka

The idea of being a 'fan' of a studio is bizarre. I'm not a ND fan because I think TLoU is amazing, anymore than I'm a ND hater for thinking UC3 is crap.

So do you think fans of developers don't exist?

ND and R* are honorable mentions but Mojang is there. Get that fucking shit outta here. Worst opinion ever. If we asked everyone their top 30 devs I am sure 99% of them will include ND or R*.

But this is not a public poll.

It's been the same developer over the course of now three notably defense force heavy threads. (See also Ellen Page thread, ND uses artist's image without permission thread)

And you are in the three threads bashing Naughty Dog?. Objectivity eh?.

Gartooth

Why the hell are people even debating whether or not Rare should be on the list, of course they fucking should they were an A list developer back in the 90's even though people love to shit on their games nowadays. Saying the studio behind Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day doesn't deserve to be on the list is absolute bullshit considering their talent and output from a wide variety of genres. (platformers, shooters, racers, beat em ups)

Marcel

i'll defend him by saying it might not be a bait for you, but as soon as he'll post "my game is _____" the "defense force" will hop on the opportunity to cherry-pick how bad X part in that game was bad or how TLoU was better than that game without mentionning why

risky business

Bingo. I'm not beholden to answer anyone. This isn't, like, debate team where I must respond. It's video game argument forum. Considering I was likened to the fucking GOP of all things, I'd be happy if nib95 or anyone else just put me on their ignore list.

snap0212

Whenever there's a list that requires me to flip through multiple pages then I immediately think that the only reason for the list's existence is controversy and click baiting. Put a few controversial entries in there and leave a few gamer's favorites out and you have a lot of clicks.

That being said, it's obviously an opinion piece. I find myself having unpopular opinions as well (the Half Life series never did anything for me, I find it incredibly boring) so they're allowed to have their own opinions as well. I would have put From Software on there, though. They've really hit on a great concept with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls proves that it wasn't just a lucky one-time thing. As for the other developers that only have one game: I don't think they belong on that list. I must have missed when Riot's game became bigger than Angry Birds so the "biggest game"-argument seems to be made up.

If I were to make a list then I'd exclude all developers who have only shipped one game.

meta4

ND ,R*, From etc are not there but some c grade dev's are there in the list. I nominate Nihilistic to be in this list. It would complete this mediocrity properly.

Ushae

Banned
nope

siGbeh6.png

Those are honorable mentions? Holy shit, almost all of those would be my top 10, especially Black Isle, Rockstar and Naughty Dog.

So if it's not happening in this thread right now, I don't get why it's being brought up to people you assume are fans not doing what those threads were locked for.

StuBurns

Banned
So do you think fans of developers don't exist?
I think in the context of 'defense force' fandom, it's an irrational concept. Fans can (and often are) critical, sometimes very critical, I'm sure there are lots of people on GAF who would profess to being KojiPro fans, and hate MGS4. That kind of fan exists of course, but unquestioning fandom isn't good. I didn't say they don't exist, just that it's bizarre.

Gadirok

Why the hell are people even debating whether or not Rare should be on the list, of course they fucking should they were an A list developer back in the 90's even though people love to shit on their games nowadays. Saying the studio behind Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day doesn't deserve to be on the list is absolute bullshit considering their talent and output from a wide variety of genres. (platformers, shooters, racers, beat em ups)

If it were the same team yeah. I loved Goldeneye and Donkey Kong 64 but the studio's current team doesn't look like it could ever make hits like those again and are forever destined to mediocrity with MS and Kinect.

I am not arguing that they shouldn't have made this list based on the criteria that they have made some experiences first (kind of, but goldeneye did bring console FPSs to a high) but if this was a history lesson there would be no doubt in my mind that they fulfilled their role as a top 30 dev.

If it were based on top 30 devs overall based on track records (which matters more to me), Rare wouldn't make it any longer. They'd probably make the top 60.

nib95

Banned
The salt....Either that or just being generally antagonistic and vitriolic? Marcel. Chill out dude.

Oh because The Last of Us didn't make me fall to my knees with tears in my eyes I clearly haven't played it. Get over yourself.

The ND shit is already rolling downhill for a third thread. Sometimes it's best to just get out of the way.

Naughty Dog defense force strikes again.

It's been the same developer over the course of now three notably defense force heavy threads. (See also Ellen Page thread, ND uses artist's image without permission thread)

So you can steadfastly argue how the perfectly paced and expertly emotional and poignant god shooter game The Last of Us outclasses it? Not taking your very base and obvious bait.

Send this guy his check ND. Jesus. He's aching for it.

zoukka

I think in the context of 'defense force' fandom, it's an irrational concept. Fans can (and often are) critical, sometimes very critical, I'm sure there are lots of people on GAF who would profess to being KojiPro fans, and hate MGS4. That kind of fan exists of course, but unquestioning fandom isn't good. I didn't say they don't exist, just that it's bizarre.

It's not bizarre to me. Basic defensive behaviour is very human and found in all of us.

Marcel

I'm honored that I got a wall of "shame". Opinions and feelings on the video game discussion and opinion forum. A terrible thing, that.

Exactly. I was the first to blame ND for the U3 aiming issue. Merit must be given to those who deserve it when they deserve it.
Well, but i can understand nothing is a universal truth, and so many people will not give merit to some games/developers as will others, after all opinions are opinions, but what is outrageous is to start a witch-hunting,for whatever causes that i can´t understand, against a game/developer and now against some users ( 14 years old, ND defence force, Sony defence force, and so on...).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SNK >>> ND

How about now? HOW ABOUT NOW?

StuBurns

Banned
It's not bizarre to me. Basic defensive behaviour is very human and found in all of us.
It's a much bigger discussion than is apt for this thread, but it's a personal thing I've never really understood, even the concept of sports team fans I find impenetrable. It's just a collection of people who train at a certain area and wear certain clothes, and the people is a constantly shifting group. It's strangely similar to the idea of game studio fans really. The art director of BioShock Infinite, Nate Welles, is the art director of TLoU. If someone was an Irrational superfan, and a ND hater, what are they meant to do now? Support 'the team'? I just don't understand the basis of fandom in that sense at all.

Verendus

Banned
Sorry, I can't take this list seriously. Platinum Games is on here, Mojang is on here and various others, but Rockstar, who defined an entire generation and influenced far more people, aren't.

Carl

Come on guys. Whether you like Naughty Dog's games or not, surely you can agree with those who wonder why they aren't on the list?

zoukka

It's a much bigger discussion than is apt for this thread, but it's a personal thing I've never really understood, even the concept of sports team fans I find impenetrable. It's just a collection of people who train at a certain area and wear certain clothes, and the people is a constantly shifting group. It's strangely similar to the idea of game studio fans really. The art director of BioShock Infinite, Nate Welles, is the art director of TLoU. If someone was an Irrational superfan, and a ND hater, what are they meant to do now? Support 'the team'? I just don't understand the basis of fandom in that sense at all.

Well it's not a rational thing at all, so there's nothing to "understand" in it from a personal point of view. Maybe a sociologist or a phychologist GAF member could answer it more in depth.

Come on guys. Whether you like Naughty Dog's games or not, surely you can agree with those who wonder why they aren't on the list?

In a way yes, but just look at the list. It's stacked with good choices. The most controversial ones being Mojang, Platinum Games and ThatGameCompany. All of which I can see being in that list for various redeeming factors. Mojang is the Jesus of all indie developers. Platinum Games are a relic from times when gameplay was king and gameplay systems were deep and challenging. They are fighting a tide of cinematic games almost alone with small budgets and barely breaking even. Journey was a magnificent experience, but I can agree that R* or even ND could be better selections. It all comes down to personal preferences and how you value budgets/risks/innovation/business/number of titles/critical response and so on.

Gartooth

If it were the same team yeah. I loved Goldeneye and Donkey Kong 64 but the studio's current team doesn't look like it could ever make hits like those again and are forever destined to mediocrity with MS and Kinect.

I am not arguing that they shouldn't have made this list based on the criteria that they have made some experiences first (kind of, but goldeneye did bring console FPSs to a high) but if this was a history lesson there would be no doubt in my mind that they fulfilled their role as a top 30 dev.

If it were based on top 30 devs overall based on track records (which matters more to me), Rare wouldn't make it any longer. They'd probably make the top 60.

Well yeah modern Rare is a shit developer with most of it's greatest developers and artists gone, I was arguing that they should have made the list regardless due to what they achieved as they were possibly the strongest western developer on consoles during their heyday.

Gadirok

Yeah but Naughty Dog (and Bethesda) are mentions; they aren't quite on the list.

I guess I should have bolded what I was replying to:
My favorite part is Nintendo being first (even if I'm not their biggest fan right now, there is a special element to their games) and the bit at the end giving shout outs to people like Lovelace and Turing.

No doubt they probably made the largest impact over the past 30 years but its just a top 30 dev list not in order when hes comparing Nintendo to others, as an editor mentioned its unranked. I wasn't commenting on the mentions.

Larson

Banned
I know that everybody before me have said it, but Naughty Dog and Rockstar as honorable mentions? Naughty Dog is maybe the best developer in the gaming industry, they have never made a bad game.

lefantome

Mojang???

the game is one of the most important games ever but they only did one game and most of the original work was made only by Notch with the help of the community.

thatgamecompany?

I thought that a company needs some great titles to be on the list, with them I can't go further than including the amazing Journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom