• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: The Top 30 Developers of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

imBask

Banned
So do you disagree then? What is the most emotionally poignant game you've played?

Have you even played TLoU?

you're aware that not EVERYONE liked the ending right? opinions and stuff

I got way more emotions out of TWD, because opinions and stuff

nib95

Banned
Oh because The Last of Us didn't make me fall to my knees with tears in my eyes I clearly haven't played it. Get over yourself.

That was not my point at all. Everyone has an opinion, I'm just curious to yours. So, what is the most emotionally poignant game you've ever played?

szaromir

Banned
I am talking about defining something. Which means you find a way to execute something so optimally and "naturally", that everyone follows because it makes too much sense.
RE4's 'aiming OR walking' is as far from optimal and "natural" as you can get.

Raist

Banned
What have the achieved? Spending lots of money to refine and polish ideas already used in countless other games before them?

Oh, nothing, they've just made one of the most technically impressive, critically acclaimed and best sellling IPs 4 times on PS hardware in a row now.

StuBurns

Banned
I am talking about defining something. Which means you find a way to execute something so optimally and "naturally", that everyone follows because it makes too much sense.
Define something to who? How are people meant to know someone is ripping off Gears or Uncharted? Gears just because it came first? Then why not Kill Switch or Operation Winback? Because you presume the developer never saw/played them?

Any argument that rests on an assumption of inspiration is profoundly flawed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

There's plenty of reasons why there was that split, if you empower a character too much you can have serious issues with a sense of player urgency and keep them scrambling to keep things together.

RE4 could have been walk and shoot, but it would have sacrificed an important gameplay mechanic.

I liked the The Last of Us but treating it like an unimpeachable god game is ridiculous.

IMO what is ridiculous is that some of you jump when someone talk well about certain game or developer. And ultimately it always is about the same developer and game.

Yawnier

Banned
you're aware that not EVERYONE liked the ending right? opinions and stuff

I got way more emotions out of TWD, because opinions and stuff

Not everything "emotionally poignant" depends on the ending, or the last 5% of the game itself though.

Opinions and stuff though - yeah I agree with you.

zoukka

I disagree, the shooting mechanics in RE4 eclipse both Gears of War and Uncharted series. Keep in mind though, it all comes down to the combination of controls, level design and enemy design. You can't take one part from a game and try to jam it into other games.

You can put Dead Space and Vanquish over those two blockbuster series as well where TPS mechanics go.

Define something to who? How are people meant to know someone is ripping off Gears or Uncharted? Gears just because it came first? Then why not Kill Switch or Operation Winback? Because you presume the developer never saw/played them?

We use critical thinking. Nobody played Kill Switch or Operation Winback. Games didn't suddenly have similar mechanics after those games got released. Gears came out, was popular and got great reviews. Suddenly similar games started popping out every out of nowhere. Waist high walls everywhere up this bitch.

nib95

Banned
I liked the The Last of Us but treating like this unimpeachable god game is ridiculous.

Perhaps your own bias is clouding your senses here. Most of your post are so full of sensationalist misdirection I feel like they're better directed at some GOP convention. It's not so much an unimpeachable God game as it is game of the generation for hundreds on these forums, one of the best games of all time for countless more, and a game that is critically revered by most journalists. It's not a coincidence, all of the aforementioned is because the game is genuinely excellent.

What part of my summary of TLoU would you say was untrue or unfair?

nib95 said:
TLoU is the most emotionally poignant and mature game I have ever played. Everything about it, the realism, the deadly gunplay, the amazing characters and ambiguous and subtle narrative, the insane art direction and attention to detail, the intelligent enemy AI etc etc.

Bulk_Rate

Disappointed to not see Psygnosis/SCE Liverpool at least in the honorable mentions. They really set the bar for production values from the Amiga days through PS1, plus Lemmings of course.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps your own biases are clouding your senses here. Most of your post are so full of sensationalist misdirection I feel like they're better directed at some GOP convention. It's not so much an unimpeachable God game as it is game of the generation for hundreds on these forums, one of the best games of all time for countless more, and a game that is critically revered.

What part of my summary of TLoU would you say was untrue or unfair?

lol bringing up the GOP, nice

Marcel

IMO what is ridiculous is that some of you jump when someone talk well about certain game or developer. And ultimately it always is about the same developer and game.

It's been the same developer over the course of now three notably defense force heavy threads. (See also Ellen Page thread, ND uses artist's image without permission thread)

meta4

RE4 controls did not influence anything. The over the shoulder shooting has been done before RE so not sure what you are trying to say. Infact RE4 controls are totally unique to that game and has hardly been replicated outside of that franchise.You are defining to many things in your head which has no semblance of reality.

Also the last dev that needs to be included in this list is Platinum Games considering they have zero influence on this industry. They are barely breaking even in sales with their games.

So we judge a game based on how well it sells and how the critics receive it? Okay...

It's better than what you've been doing, disregarding games that you don't like and using that as your only argument against them. I don't like Bungie's games but I'm not going to begrudge them their place here, I know how loved they are and how important they are to the Xbox platform (among other things)

Marcel

That was not my point at all. Everyone has an opinion, I'm just curious to yours. So, what is the most emotionally poignant game you've ever played?

So you can steadfastly argue how the perfectly paced and expertly emotional and poignant god shooter game The Last of Us outclasses it? Not taking your very base and obvious bait.

StuBurns

Banned
I disagree, the shooting mechanics in RE4 eclipse both Gears of War and Uncharted series. Keep in mind though, it all comes down to the combination of controls, level design and enemy design. You can't take one part from a game and try to jam it into other games.
I'd agree with that.

RE4 appears to have a very different intent though. It's about tension, Gears and Uncharted aren't, or if they are, they fail at it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's been the same developer over the course of now three notably defense force heavy threads. (See also Ellen Page thread, ND uses artist's image without permission thread)
I can't wait until the day this ridiculous "defense force" bullshit gets banned.

It's an insult to anyone that wants to have a reasonable discussion.

You've evaded nib95's posts 4 times in a row and there is nothing unreasonable he asks of you after you've dismissed him the first time. All he asks is that you elaborate on your points after being absolutely flippant every single time.

Inversive

Riot are on the list for making one bad game but Naughty Dog are an honourable mention? OK.

also xbox fans are so bitter towards ND, it's hilarious reading any topic involving them. Cheer up guys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd agree with that.

RE4 appears to have a very different intent though. It's about tension, Gears and Uncharted aren't, or if they are, they fail at it.

It's definitely not Gears' focus - however Act 3 of the first Gears of War is about tension and it worked very well.

It's better than what you've been doing, disregarding games that you don't like and using that as your only argument against them. I don't like Bungie's games but I'm not going to begrudge them their place here, I know how loved they are and how important they are to the Xbox platform (among other things)

Halo was more important to Xbox than Uncharted ever was to PS.

Yawnier

Banned
Not a fan of having developers who have made one game on a "top developers of all-time" list.

Yes, I definitely agree. It is like to me having a bunch of bands that are only one hit or two hit wonders on a "top bands/artists of all-time list".

nib95

Banned
So you can steadfastly argue how the perfectly paced and expertly emotional and poignant god shooter game The Last of Us outclasses it? Not taking your very obvious bait.

What on Earth are you on about?

People sure are salty towards ND. Who would have realised the salt would manifest in to some ND fan and hate campaign lol.

dugdug

Banned

The Ellen Page / map threads were bad, but, I honestly don't see anything remotely that bad in this thread so far.

Naughty Dog are allowed to have fans who want to talk about why they enjoy their work. It's not immediately a "defense force."

Marcel

The Ellen Page / map threads were bad, but, I honestly don't see anything remotely that bad in this thread so far.

Naughty Dog are allowed to have fans who want to talk about why they enjoy their work. It's not immediately a "defense force."

And I'm allowed to not care for groveling fanboyish nonsense.

Doffen

Yet Rare made it!
KuGsj.gif

<3 Viva Piñata <3

szaromir

Banned

You can put Dead Space and Vanquish over those two blockbuster series as well where TPS mechanics go.

RE4 had many fun scenarios, but its controls will always remain garbage. I personally hate cover shooters as well, aiming while in cover sucks away all the fun from the TPS genre.

What controversy. They listed the 30 most influential game developers. ND does not belong to that list by any means.

ND makes high quality games but they aren't exactly innovators.

Why is Treasure there? Who did they influence?

I guess they can be thanked for the death of the SHMUP, since all their games sold so poorly. But I don't think that's the kind of influence that gets you on these lists.

tkscz

Rare

Twycross, England

Rare started out making games for the NES at a ridiculous clip (releasing 18 games in 1990 alone!), went on to partner with Nintendo as a second-party developer, and then got purchased by Microsoft to make games for the Xbox and Xbox 360. When you think about it, it’s kind of amazing that the same studio responsible for Battletoads, Donkey Kong Country, and Killer Instinct also did GoldenEye 007 and Kinect Sports. That kind of longevity in a cutthroat industry like this is, well, rare.

This just confuses me. Shouldn't GE 007 be before the and and not after it?

zoukka

Some defence forces are more loud and transcend more threads than others.

For someone who claims to not be emotionally moved to a great degree by Naughty Dog's games, you seem to be really emotionally invested in this argument about Naughty Dog's games.

I like posting in GAF yes.

Gadirok

Not a fan of having developers who have made one game on a "top developers of all-time" list.

Well the whole criteria of the list is iffy too since they consider the "Top developers" as being the first to do something in video games. Its why I am not exactly defending Naughty Dog here since they wouldn't exactly qualify. They have made some amazing games, but they weren't the first at many of them except beginning with the Uncharted games for having high production sets and combining a video game with elements of a feature length film which may have had attempts before but not to the polish and acclaim of Uncharted. I haven't completed The Last of Us to know too much about it, but from the MP I've played, its a pretty innovative way to make a MP team based TPS, and maybe even original but I think Socom 2 had something like this before, though not to the same polish.

I just don't agree that a top developer should be classified as the first developer to do something. Someone can make a completely shitty game and be the first one at it, doesn't stop someone else from bringing the same mechanics and polishing it to make it one of the best games ever. It certainly brings them up, but it should be based on their track record of games if anything.

If anything, I'm surprised Harmonix didn't make the cut for all the genre defining music experiences they have brought to the table and how they shaped the world with Guitar Hero and Rock Band. But its just another reason why I think this list is not very solid by any means when they have omitted too many developers.

nib95

Banned
You've evaded nib95's posts 4 times in a row and there is nothing unreasonable he asks of you after you've dismissed him the first time. All he asks is that you elaborate on your points after being absolutely flippant every single time.

Exactly. His responses are hilarious and deranged.

I don't know know why it's so hard for him to answer what his personal most emotionally resonant game experience is. I mean, it's not bait, it's just a question, since I can't off the top of my head think of many other emotionally powerful games. I mean, Bioshock/Infinite come to mind, as does FFVII (Aries) and a few others, but they don't compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom