• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: The Top 30 Developers of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHZ Mayor

Well seeing as how they peaked at the first Jak and Daxter, then went on to make the mish-mashes that were Jak 2 and 3, and then followed that up with what may be the most overrated series of the generation, if not of all time, I can see why Naughty Dog didn't make the list.

codecow

I kept thinking Epyx while reading the list. It's tough to make a list like this for sure especially since it's all time.

andymcc

Banned
I can't believe people are complaining about MAME being on this list. lmao

Those games are uncomparable to Naughty Dog's and it's far from a stretch to say that the Uncharted games are much better than all of those. We don't even need to mention the Last of Us.

I'd say ND's games are better than the Arkham ones but Bayonetta and Vanquish are games with way better mechanics that focus on intricate gameplay instead of aping Hollywood-esque narrative.

WinFonda

This is not a good thing.
It is. Before Naughty Dog tried their hand at it, the best cinematic game we had was Metal Gear Solid. There's a lot of room for improvement, but narrative and storytelling absolutely have their places in video games. And any developer that pushes those areas and excels, and inspires others to, deserves commendation.

jett

D-Member
Riot games a top 30 developer? They made one game. One game.

Naughty Dog an honorable mention and Riot in.

This list is bonkers.

Riot and Mojang are probably the most egregious inclusions. Personally, I don't give two fucks about GameFreak either.

Oh and Double Fine absolutely does not deserve an honorable mention, as much as I like Tim Schafer's Lucasarts games.

jorma

is now taking requests
all of the honourable mentions should have been on the actual list.

edit: ESPECIALLY Naughty Dog. So there!

Marcel

Those games are uncomparable to Naughty Dog's and it's far from a stretch to say that the Uncharted games are much better than all of those. We don't even need to mention the Last of Us.

Uncharted better than Vanquish on what? Certainly you're not suggesting action game terms? If so:

UxReNUT.gif

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Naughty Dog defense force strikes again.

Dude wtf... why can't people complain it didn't make the list? There are compeling arguments to be made that it should have been there! This whole "Naughty Dog defense force" thing that people are spewing around also pisses me off. You know there is a reason why terms as Xbot, Sony ponies or whatever they call Nintendo fans are bannable here! Try harder...

StuBurns

Banned
So you say that ND outclassed all action games this gen, but ignore Bayonetta and Vanquish just to pick on Batman?
No, I just mocked your Batman selection, I think TLoU is better than Bayonetta and Vanquish too, I just don't think they're laughable selections as I do with Batman.

zoukka

I haven't played one. Are the developers on that list? Perhaps you could suggest which game I should try.

You can start from System Shocks. A more personal suggestion is Journey. It had great narration through gameplay although the plot itself is barebones.

No, I just mocked your Batman selection, I think TLoU is better than Bayonetta and Vanquish too, I just don't think they're laughable selections as I do with Batman.

You went from saying that ND output outclasses all other action games this gen to.. TLoU is better than Bayonetta and Vanquish.

And in truth, Batman is a better action game than any Uncharted. Take away the story and production values and it's easy to see.

I would probably be happier if Naughty Dog kept making games like Crash and Jak instead of pushing all the cinematic crap in recent years.

nib95

Banned
What have the achieved? Spending lots of money to refine and polish ideas already used in countless other games before them?

They redefined action set pieces for better or for worse. So many games after UC2 were a clone of it's interactive cut scene set piece dynamic. They also propelled VA and character emphasis with more refinement and believability than most games ever. A great dev isn't necessarily one that innovates, but one that makes genre defining games, which is exactly what ND has done. With action adventure, third person shooter and survival horror. I'd also argue that Crash and Jak and Daxter were brilliant efforts too.

Yawnier

Banned
Vanquish? Bayonetta? Batman Arkham games? Gears of War? Sorry, you're wrong.

After recently finishing Vanquish before I played TLOU - I really have a lot trouble saying that it is a better action game than The Last Of Us. Same thing with the Batman Arkham games.

sibarraz

Banned
Also glad that SNK got a honorable mention

I'm a big fanboy of them, but I know they shouldn't be near on the top 30 list, still, their work is really underrated, they really pushed 2d graphics in a hardware from the early 90's

StuBurns

Banned
You went from saying that ND output outclasses all other action games this gen to.. TLoU is better than Bayonetta and Vanquish.

And in truth, Batman is a better action game than any Uncharted. Take away the story and production values and it's easy to see.
No, I didn't. I said TLoU did, and I certainly believe it does.

Vanquish is a better dedicated shooter, but it's not close to being as good of a game to me. And I think Vanquish is already better than Bayonetta.

They redefined action set pieces for better or for worse. So many games after UC2 were a clone of it's interactive cut scene set piece dynamic. They also propelled VA and character emphasis with more refinement and believability than most games ever. A great dev isn't necessarily one that innovates, but one that makes genre defining games, which is exactly what ND has done. With action adventure, third person shooter and survival horror. I'd also argue that Crash and Jak and Daxter were brilliant efforts too.

Many games have tried to do this before. You're not making a compelling case beyond saying that they were the first ones to spend money and really focus on something that has arguable value to gamers and the industry in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom