• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

kpjolee

can't wait to see it in motion. It is kinda hard to tell by screenshots how good the game will look. It certainly looks promising.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
When I bought my first PC in 1998, Thief 1 was the first game I played on it. I'm ready.

RiverBed

Banned
can't wait to see it in motion. It is kinda hard to tell by screenshots how good the game will look. It certainly looks promising.
in motion, a game always looks better. :)
This is going to be Agent 47 + Assassin's Creed.
(first time Thief player).

That's not exactly concrete proof that Eidos Montreal is working on Deus Ex: HR, nor that it is coming to Wii U.

Unless you know more than you're telling us ;)

A re rating like that means new platform a "game of the year" or some other such edition would be rated with whatever the new editions title would be.

It's already on PC, 360 and PS3 so unless we expect a Vita or IOS version (nobody in their right mind would) then it points to a WiiU version.

Instro

A logical extension of the HR melee system would be great for the sequel to Human Revolution. Not Thief. Not Garret.

Melee takedowns are not exactly aimed at...well just about anyone who ever played and enjoyed a Thief game before.

As long as I can club everything in the back its all good.

Forkball

Seems neat. I do agree with the Dishonored connections. I know, I know, Dishonored tried to be the spiritial successor to Thief while also doing it's own thing, but literally everything that was mentioned in the OP's story segment is something straight out of that game. Though the gameplay will be the real difference, I'm interested in seeing how they adjust this series for today's audiences.

Doesn't look very impressive for next gen, but who cares, it's Thief!

A bit disappointed at "less magical elements"; those were the best/scariest parts of Thief for me, but whatever.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Why can't we post scans? I've been looking through the rules and don't see the reason anywhere.
D. Copyrighted Material

The posting of full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images is not allowed. Users in breach of this rule are subject to banning. The posting of review scores (without text), news summaries, rumors, and review paraphrasing is acceptable, as long as credit is given to the original source.

It's to protect the site from getting cease and desist letters from magazine publishers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For how iffy Square Japan can be lately, it's sort of amazing watching Eidos completely flourish under them.

When Square moved to buy Eidos, I thought to myself "...why? What do they even make anymore?" Turns out, it was the smartest fucking move they've made in years.

Pretty much every game that's come out of Eidos so far has been gold for them.

I'm starting to wonder if people actually understand what Steambox is.

geebee

Banned
Good to see the new Thief game was finally unveiled.. fuck Assassin's Creed. People will remember how a good stealth game plays like. I have high hopes for this since the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider reboots turned out pretty nicely.

Glass Rebel

Although I've been burned by SE with Hitman Absolution I'm going full blackout on this one. That's how much I enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

We had a long time ago the game beeing played on PS3:

http://translate.google.nl/translat...549/galerie/1493807/&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

With a leaked trailer: http://gematsu.com/2012/06/thief-4-30-second-trailer-leaked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jf-LG5lKK5E

But later we got the info that it was switched to next-gen:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/362035/thief-4-switched-to-next-gen-consoles/

We are seeing a next-gen title with a last-gen engine (the same case with Witcher 3)

and here they are using Unreal Engine 3:

http://gamingeverything.com/13427/thief-4-may-have-online-unreal-engine-3-support/

I hope they give us all the reasons to buy this game!

Moff

although it had those terribly splitted levels and weaker level design and story than its predecessors, I actually enjoyed thief 3 the most. thief is very much based on its atmosphere, and the real time shadows of thief 3 really made a difference here. I also did not enjoy the supernatural elements and dungeons in the series too much, and deadly shadows had the fewest of them and as far I remember the most castles/mansions, which are basically the backbone of thief games for me.

so, just like Human revolution, deadly shadows was a great game that made some things better and some things worse than its predecessor(s).

focus vision does not bother me at all, I have the deepest trust in eidos montreal that they will deliver a great game. although there are different people working on this game, eidos montreal has shown with human revolution that they understand the spirit of these great warren spector games (considered by many, and by me as well, to be among the top 10 games of all time) and are at least willing and in most aspects able to deliver the quality of those classics.
with witcher 3 and this, 2014 has the best chances the be one of the most amazing videogame years. I have trust.

JoshHood

We had a long time ago the game beeing played on PS3:

http://translate.google.nl/translat...549/galerie/1493807/&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

With a leaked trailer: http://gematsu.com/2012/06/thief-4-30-second-trailer-leaked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jf-LG5lKK5E

But later we got the info that it was switched to next-gen:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/362035/thief-4-switched-to-next-gen-consoles/

We are seeing a next-gen title with a last-gen engine (the same case with Witcher 3)

and here they are using Unreal Engine 3:

http://gamingeverything.com/13427/thief-4-may-have-online-unreal-engine-3-support/

I hope they give us all the reasons to buy this game!
Except that CD has come out and openly said that Witcher 3 has an engine switch approaching, have we heard anything like that about Thief?

justjim89

Holy shit. Just made the mistake of reading a /v/ thread about this game...

And I thought people here were having knee jerk freak outs.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The first person perspective is the ONLY acceptable viewpoint for a stealth-based game. Anything else is effectively cheating.

Mark of the Ninja takes a piss on this notion. I hope Thief will at least be as good as that. I'm not getting my hopes up that itll match Dark Project or Metal Age.

Pretty much just /v/ being /v/. Casuals, Call of Duty audience, fear of anything modern, why me why me, etc.

Thank you.

Can you turn off the quest arrow? Can you not use Focus?

Ah, such naivety. The question they should be asking is the game developed around those features and would turning them off make it a frustrating experience.

There are some exaggerated responses, but it's pretty level headed for the most part. Some genuine concern from ardent fans of the series. Can't say I particularly blame them after seeing how Hitman: Absolution, Splinetr Cell: Conviction and Deus Ex: Human Revolution turned out.

That's not a slight on Deus Ex. It's a good game for what it is and to it was always foolish to expect a new game in the mould of the first title. Still, can't help but wonder 'what if' and be somewhat disappointed that the games I grew up playing are now mere shells of what they used to be or are simply been lost to the ether.

Kiryu

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014)

When I read this. I was excited like :D

Then... there's no /Wii U then I was sad like D:

Wii U is being left out again... :(

Y'know I can see where the Dishonored comparisons are coming from in the sense that the screens show a bit of a Victorian flair to the architecture, guard uniforms, etc., whereas the prior games had more of a medieval and renaissance aesthetic (in combination with the magic and technology stuff, of course). My first impression from the screens was that the game was going to take place decades/centuries after the prior games, until we found out Garret was back.

Doesn't look very impressive for next gen, but who cares, it's Thief!

A bit disappointed at "less magical elements"; those were the best/scariest parts of Thief for me, but whatever.

Agreed, the zombies in Thief were no fun but I enjoyed them in Deadly Shadows and the creepy supernatural stuff really added to the atmosphere.

Really hope they're not ignoring or bending the lore like the summary in the OP implies might be the case. I want my Pagans and Hammerites back. No keepers though I guess :(

Derrick01

Banned
Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014)

When I read this. I was excited like :D

Then... there's no /Wii U then I was sad like D:

Wii U is being left out again... :(

Why? You should know by now most people don't consider Wii U next gen.

Pretty much just /v/ being /v/. Casuals, Call of Duty audience, fear of anything modern, why me why me, etc.

"Can you turn off the quest arrow? Can you not use Focus?"

Wait, I'm playing through Thief Gold right now and isn't the quest arrow similar to the compass in the first game? There's no point of the game where this hand-holding compass seems disabled, and I pretty much use the compass to stick to the critical path.

params7

Banned
Not liking what I'm hearing about the highlighted walls and pathways. If this pulls a Tomb Raider and panders to the casual & handheld gameplay, it'll pale in comparison to the older Thief games.

Hargenx

OH GOD MY SIDES!!!!

1362556632225.jpg

>Midnight
>I quick travel to the tavern
>Some rich faggot is drunk and heading home
>I follow him
>I QTE his lock
>Activate my super t4ffer vision
>Steal all glowing blue objects
>Suddenly I hear footst-SCREEN POP UP, THE WORLD TURNS WHITE
>I crouch
>The rich faggot passes right next to me
>Oh fuck oh fuck
>He notices all the shit is gone
>Before he can do anything I press X to do a silent takedown
>SILENT TAKEDOWN: +150 XP
>I leave the house
>HOUSE CLEANED 100%: +300 XP
>I upgrade my speed and HP stats and quick travel to home
Feels good to be a thief.

Oh god the bad part is that I can see this happening... :-/

USIGSJ

GI has a new screenshot posted, didn't see this one among those first scans. Also one from the previous page, just in better quality now.

This shot provides a wide view of the House of Blossoms, the lavish brothel that Garrett infiltrates during the demo that we saw for the cover story. Notice all of the dark corners to hide in and tempting valuables to grab.

Is it too optimistic to hope for a demo at E3? I can't wait to see this in motion.

nope it isn't, I too hope and believe that we will see the demo in E3, I mean Gameinformer saw a demo that was pretty cool from what I read, and it is releasing in 2014, so E3-2013 FTW.

Top Bottom