• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

AJ_Wings

If there is a positive to this "focus" mode and if I understood it correctly, garret has a more interesting arsenal of non-lethal attacks like pushing and arm-twisting instead of outright murdering a guard. I'm actually interested on what they're doing with this system.

Omega

Banned
This is only thier first Thief game, expecting them to make a game that's as good as the first two in the series is a bit too much.

If they can make a decent start with this, then they always build on that.
this isn't Thief from the sound of things

if you want to make Dishonored's Creed, go ahead. Don't take an existing franchise though.

Hindle

Banned
They should make a fight with one guard very hard to get out off. I'm talking back up against the wall, give everything you have just to win. Afterall Garret is a thief, he isn't trained in combat.

mantidor

Uhh... fighting should be fun. It should be discouraged by something else. Setting out to make a game where parts of it are simply not fun is a dumb idea. Yes, you shouldn't be seen in a stealth game, but when you do, you shouldn't need to curse the game for burdening you with a shitty mechanic.

I think Thief games aren't for you, this one game might though.

DocSeuss

My biggest worry is that it'll be in third person perspective (or feature optional third person perspective), thus forcing the game to rely on a stealth system that's more about cheating by looking around corners or watching vision cones on a minimap than simply listening for enemies who are whistling as they walk down hallways or hoping you're in dark enough shadows.

FACE

Banned
My biggest worry is that it'll be in third person perspective (or feature optional third person perspective), thus forcing the game to rely on a stealth system that's more about cheating by looking around corners or watching vision cones on a minimap than simply listening for enemies who are whistling as they walk down hallways or hoping you're in dark enough shadows.

The screenshots someone posted were mostly in first person.

Edit: I must also mention that they were removed because they're scans.

justjim89

If there is a positive to this "focus" mode and if I understood it correctly, garret has a more interesting arsenal of non-lethal attacks like pushing and arm-twisting instead of outright murdering a guard. I'm actually interested on what they're doing with this system.

This does sound very interesting.

They should make a fight with one guard very hard to get out off. I'm talking back up against the wall, give everything you have just to win. Afterall Garret is a thief, he isn't trained in combat.

What Thief are you remembering? Garrett in the first 2 games could easily murder a single standard guard in combat.

sflufan

Banned

The official annoucement press release stated first person perspective.

AppleMIX

I always love when stuff like this is announced. You always have a complete overreaction no matter what because its not exactly like the old games.

This happened with Deus Ex, X-com, Hitman Absolution, Castlevania Lords of Shadow among many others and I thoughly enjoyed all of those games.

Sigh, why do developers insist on developing their games around a core gameplay mechanic that essentially takes any of the skill, tension, etc out of the game?

Instinct, focus, blink, etc. All part of the same problem that results in dumbed down games that offer very little in the way of challenge. They claim that the game can be played without using them, but that often results in a game that becomes increasingly frustrating to play as it becomes patently obvious the level design, enemy encounters, etc are all developed around using that so called 'optional' feature.

SkylineRKR

I always love when stuff like this is announced. You always have a complete overreaction no matter what because its not exactly like the old games.

This happened with Deus Ex, X-com, Hitman Absolution, Castlevania Lords of Shadow among many others and I thoughly enjoyed all of those games.

X-Com and Deus Ex were excellent comebacks, but I still think Hitman Absolution sucks.

Varg

Banned
Really wish I bought the thief bundle daily deal on steam a few weeks ago . Never experienced this franchise before but now that I have a great pc I really would love to

Well XCOM has no replay value because its not randomized like the old games. And Deus Ex: HR had bad boss fights due to the outsourcing. Still love both games but they had issues.

Tacitus_

I think Thief games aren't for you, this one game might though.

Hah hah, very funny. I've loved stealth games for ages now. I'm just saying that making a part of your game shitty by design, just to snap the player on the nose for getting spotted /attempting to take out a guard is a bad way of doing it. You could for example have the game create heavier patrols, guards spawning near normally unguarded treasures, dock your pay for alerting the guards... Or maybe design the combat like that you could expand a resource to take out a single guard quickly, but if you screw up badly and get swamped by multiple guards you're out of luck.

KKRT00

Yes I need game developers to do their job and make a game. If I had to make my own fun I'd still be outside creating a tree fort or having rock fights. It's lazy to just to make a sandbox with no rules or development and tell the player "well go on, do something". It's the virtual form of your parents kicking you out of the house just because they want you outside.

And don't try to talk down to me. All of the great PC titles were run by rules and restrictions, like the old Thief games. You think the player created the masterful level design in those games, or the mechanics?
Do You know why sandbox games are called 'sandbox'? I bet You do, so why are acting like You dont?

Look, i have nothing against pure stealth games, and if developer wants to make such game, its his choice. But dont try to downplay other devs just because they are more open minded about player personal gameplay.
Your main issue with Dishonored is that it isnt pure stealth game, which is good thing for most players, because they have the choice, however it can still be played [and it was tested for this kind of gameplay] completely stealthy (even without using powers).
You probably would be much happier with Dishonored if there would be special difficulty setting that disallows use of Blink, because You would think that game is designed around 'stealth only' in this mode, but dont You think thats just dumb?
Creating additional setting for something that any players can do by himself, is just dumb, its basically pointless, except for people who cares about achievement etc.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
It still sounds like a true stealth and thief game to me, but I am getting the impression with this "semi-reboot" that elements that were common in the previous games (magic and the weird anomalies presented in that steam punk world) are going to be built up over the story with the little hints shown. The arsenal Garrett has sounds true to the previous work but modified to today that makes sense (instead of the arrow rope we now have a claw hook that we throw manually to climb) and it's still a heavy stealth game but has those modern elements (optional as suggested with the focus part) to broaden the style that the player might want. The design will most likely be a bit more faster paced than the previous titles but it does sound like you can take your time to plan and execute your goals. All in all it's looking promising already for bringing this classic back but it really is down to the actual level and game design that we need to see more before really seeing how depth the stealth can really be.

I'd imagine there would be a mode that would heavy limit the "focus" option too for players wanting to ghost all their way through out the given scenarios. That's the option I will take for sure.

DocSeuss

The screenshots someone posted were mostly in first person.

...mostly?

Hah hah, very funny. I've loved stealth games for ages now. I'm just saying that making a part of your game shitty by design, just to snap the player on the nose for getting spotted /attempting to take out a guard is a bad way of doing it. You could for example have the game create heavier patrols, guards spawning near normally unguarded treasures, dock your pay for alerting the guards... Or maybe design the combat like that you could expand a resource to take out a single guard quickly, but if you screw up badly and get swamped by multiple guards you're out of luck.

Thief doesn't make it shitty. It's pretty satisfying.

Thing is, you're on equal terms with everyone else, except some of them have things like armor. You don't, because you're a rogue. In other words, they do a lot more damage than you, the player, can, so you're pretty much fucked if facing more than one guy.

- Iron-fisted Baron now rules the city
- Baron crushes City’s citizens through militarized watch
- Good fortune only for the elite

Fuck o--

- Garrett views the political chaos as a chance to get rich
- Not concerned with being the hero

--well hello. As long as you don't turn into some sort of hero, and as long as the militarized watch are as interesting as the Hammerites or something, it could be good? The setup's still pretty cliche.

- “Would-be revolutionaries preach to deaf ears while men in stockades slowly waste away”

See, I don't want to fight corrupt rich people who keep the poor down. I want to be a guy who isn't concerned with being a hero, and never, ever becomes the hero. I want this setting to color the world, not shape the plot, if that makes sense.

- Xiao Xiao enters, but Garrett rolls into a darkened corner
- Xiao Xiao doesn’t detect Garrett

:O!

:D!

Wait.

Rolls? In third person, I presume? FUCK

- He then uses Focus to look at the wall Eastwick is examining

At first, I was like MEH, but then I remembered that looking for things in the original Thief is super easy most of the time, because of the lack of complexity of the models. If focus makes things as easy to see as they are in Thief, or handles it like Tomb Raider? Cool.

- Garrett isn’t a fighter
- Fighting against four or more guards in combat won’t go well
- Guards and other NPCs are aware of the level design, so they know where a person might try to hide
- Guards understand the topography of the level and which areas could be useful for hiding
- Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways

- Blackjack: use when sneaking up behind guards to knock them unconscious
- Bow: powerful, can be used outside of combat (ex: fire at a bottle in another room to lure a guard away, trigger a switch to lock the guard inside)
- Specialty Arrows: different uses; dry-ice arrow can be used to snuff flames from far away; smoke-starter arrow: cover and a distraction
- Claw: grapple attaches to certain points

AWW YIS

The gameplay mechanics sound good too. Really starting to warm up to t--

- Many of the series’ magical elements will be toned down

FUCK.

BONEHOARD AND CRACLE ARE AWESOME, I LOVE MAGIC, DON'T RUIN IT YOU BASTARDS FUCK FUCK FUCK

IF THERE ARE NO ZOMBIES OR BURRICKS I WILL STAB EVERYONE

This sounds alright so far. Nothing too alarming.

People really shouldnt expect another proper Thief game. Thats just not gonna happen in today's climate. If you expect that you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Best you can hope for is that it doesnt get totally Conviction/Absolution-ed.

noobasuar

Banned
It's pretty funny that if this was announced a few years ago we would have like a 30 page thread about this game by now but since we're so used to developers making the most brain dead games that try to appeal to everyone we really just dont give a shit anymore, no matter what big name is on the box.

I think we've been defeated. I really don't think you can take any genre and expect to be able to balance it for every type of player, espacailly in the stealth genre. Will developers ever realize this or do they have to all go out of buisness to figure this out? Your going to drive away the hardcore gamers and at the same time the casuals will give a whole fucking shit about playing a stealth game.

So good luck thinking that you can achieve 5-10 million sales by trying to appeal to everyone. It hardly ever works.

FACE

Banned
...mostly?

FUCK.

BONEHOARD AND CRACLE ARE AWESOME, I LOVE MAGIC, DON'T RUIN IT YOU BASTARDS FUCK FUCK FUCK

There are some third person screenshots, but I'm not sure if they're from gameplay or cutscenes.

I hated that zombie stuff on Thief 1 and I'm glad they toned it down on Thief 2 :p

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK.

I have a suspicious feeling that the magic elements are going to be something that's a main plot point that is going to be build up/being used behind the scenes at first for this title than having it all thrown in your face like it was in the past. Magic is an important part of the Thief universe and if you look at Garretts eye in this title you can see it has some of those elements still (and why the focus mode can also make sense).

SerRodrik

Never played the original Thief games, but not sure I'm liking what I'm hearing about the focus mechanic. I was kinda hoping they would try to go for a pure, hardcore stealth type game. Crazy, I know.

Not writing the game off, but definitely taking a wary approach.

DocSeuss

I went back and reread.

The navigation beacon worries me. If it's done like Dishonored, where it's on ALL THE TIME unless you turn it off, then it could be bad. If it's done like Tomb Raider, where you press a button every once in a while to get your bearings, it could be great.

I have a suspicious feeling that the magic elements are going to be something that's a main plot point that is going to be build up/being used behind the scenes at first for this title than having it all thrown in your face like it was in the past. Magic is an important part of the Thief universe and if you look at Garretts eye in this title you can see it has some of those elements still (and why the focus mode can also make sense).

I will be pleased if this is the case.

It's pretty funny that if this was announced a few years ago we would have like a 30 page thread about this game by now but since we're so used to developers making the most brain dead games that try to appeal to everyone we really just dont give a shit anymore, no matter what big name is on the box.

I think we've been defeated. I really don't think you can take any genre and expect to be able to balance it for every type of player, espacailly in the stealth genre. Will developers ever realize this or do they have to all go out of buisness to figure this out? Your going to drive away the hardcore gamers and at the same time the casuals will give a whole fucking shit about playing a stealth game.

So good luck thinking that you can achieve 5-10 million sales by trying to appeal to everyone. It hardly ever works.

No, this is a PC game. It was never going to have 30 pages by now, simply because most of the gamers on GAF have never played Thief and still think that Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or one of the Metal Gear Solids is the best stealth game of all time.

Metal B

Uhh... fighting should be fun. It should be discouraged by something else. Setting out to make a game where parts of it are simply not fun is a dumb idea. Yes, you shouldn't be seen in a stealth game, but when you do, you shouldn't need to curse the game for burdening you with a shitty mechanic.
I understand the reason, why those element exists. The same reason why Garrett could fight one or two guards without dying. They exist to give player, who don't get the answers to a "puzzle", a chance to progress with the game: "If anything fails, you still can try to take the direct way.". If you give players this option, it should be only for limited use. Garrett can fight, let's say, three guards. After this he has not enough health to fight anymore. So the players has three "jokers" for a "puzzle". The same idea should be deploy to "Focus". You limit it, so that the player will only use it, if he is stuck with a "puzzle".

But the developers should really try to design a game, where the direct way and the use of "helper skills" are the exception. The rule should be teaching players how to solve those "puzzles", give them ways to be creative and have good level-, mission- and art-design, what hints the player to the "answer".

Well its a phase that will be over in some time (hopefuly sooner then later) when someone new enters the ring and shows them how its done right.

Tacitus_

I understand the reason, why those element exists. The same reason why Garrett could fight one or two guards without dying. They exist to give player, who don't get the answers to a "puzzle", a chance to progress with the game: "If anything fails, you still can try to take the direct way.". If you give players this option, it should be only for limited use. Garrett can fight, let's say, three guards. After this he has not enough health to fight anymore. So the players has three "jokers" for a "puzzle". The same idea should be deploy to "Focus". You limit it, so that the player will only use it, if he is stuck with a "puzzle".

But the developers should really try to design a game, where the direct way and the use of "helper skills" are the exception. The rule should be teaching players how to solve those "puzzles", give them ways to be creative and have good level-, mission- and art-design, what hints the player to the "answer".

Yeah, that I agree with.

Thief doesn't make it shitty. It's pretty satisfying.

Thing is, you're on equal terms with everyone else, except some of them have things like armor. You don't, because you're a rogue. In other words, they do a lot more damage than you, the player, can, so you're pretty much fucked if facing more than one guy.
Again, a reasonable approach. You don't have armor, but you're nimble, so you can maybe dance around a single guard, but multiple guards will fuck you up. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

Gameplay mechanics

- Navigation beacon shows players where to go
- “Focus” mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garrett’s vision as he navigates through open levels
- Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker
- Can upgrade Focus
- Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see
- Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in
- Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others

Hmm. I hope you can turn off the assistive functions.

I wonder how this "Focus" mechanic will work? Is Garrett going to have his Mechanist eye?

Is Stephen Russell returning to voice Garrett?

FACE

Banned
∀ Narayan;49084260 said:
Hmm. I hope you can turn off the assistive functions.

I wonder how this "Focus" mechanic will work? Is Garrett going to have his Mechanist eye?

Is Stephen Russell returning to voice Garrett?

His eye is glowing on the cover art.

I hope so.

UrbanRats

Oh well i'm not interested in it just because it's in first person.
After Dishonored, i'm not wasting money on another FP game (not full price, anyway).

That said, i'm a bit disappointed by its graphics, doesn't look all that impressive (and that's really the only thing i can comment on, since i'm not a Thief fan or anything like that).

AJ_Wings

As much as I'm excited for Thief 4, the Level Design will make or break this game for me. Eidos are no longer being held back by dated hardware and I want them to take advantage of the next-gen hardware to create sprawling, believable sandboxes with multiple points of entry and exit. I'm not bothered by Focus but level design should be main pillar of the game's overall design.

Also, dynamic light/dark detection system and good AI pretty please.

DocSeuss

Oh well i'm not interested in it just because it's in first person.
After Dishonored, i'm not wasting money on another FP game (not full price, anyway).

That said, i'm a bit disappointed by its graphics, doesn't look all that impressive (and that's really the only thing i can comment on, since i'm not a Thief fan or anything like that).

Please explain.

Dahbomb

- An AR Mode which highlights all enemies even behind walls, shows where items on the leve are, and highlights anything which can be cut.

- Blade Mode events which highlights the specific targets you need to aim for.

- Tons of QTEs.
All these are points why MGR is not in the holy trinity of action games among other issues.

Blade Mode is at least unique to the game and something that hasn't been implemented before but I can do without all the QTEs in the game.

As much as I'm excited for Thief 4, the Level Design will make or break this game for me. Eidos are no longer being held back by dated hardware and I want them to take advantage of the next-gen hardware to create sprawling, believable sandboxes with multiple points of entry and exit. I'm not bothered by Focus but level design should be main pillar of the game's overall design.

Deus EX HR had some great level design. Hopefully the same can be said with this game.

His eye is glowing on the cover art.

I hope so.

Yeah, I noticed. Is it a Mechanist eye, though? If this is a reboot, I wonder how they're going to explain that.

Deus EX HR had some great level design. Hopefully the same can be said with this game.

Some parts on DE:HR are nicely designed. I feel that the game is pretty inconsistent in this regard, though. The final area is designed terribly, in my opinion.

sflufan

Banned
Oh well i'm not interested in it just because it's in first person. After Dishonored, i'm not wasting money on another FP game (not full price, anyway).

The first person perspective is the ONLY acceptable viewpoint for a stealth-based game. Anything else is effectively cheating.

Biggzy

As you say, it is up to the game designers because by putting this game on next gen and PC they have a less of a excuse about the hardware.

Le Singe

Neo Member
Instinct, focus, blink, etc. All part of the same problem that results in dumbed down games that offer very little in the way of challenge. They claim that the game can be played without using them, but that often results in a game that becomes increasingly frustrating to play as it becomes patently obvious the level design, enemy encounters, etc are all developed around using that so called 'optional' feature.

Agree. And Focus mode sounds terrible to me. Like a way to add some of the Batman detective-ish elements.

Highlighting pipes to tell you where to go! When that fails a navigation beacon! Be able to look in every drawer you see! Fingerprint system so you don't get bored looking in empty drawers! Various artifacts scattered in the level! Decorate your hideout!

They're doing a safe, predicatable Thief sequel. It will probably do ok. I'd rather they combined Thief with a bit of Mirror's Edge. Make it about stealth and speed and no combat system for going one on one- if anything you should garrotte from the shadows.

taoofjord

Yeah, there's no way it'll be great in the same ways the first two in the series were. I hope it's great in its own way, though. If not, at least I have Dishonored, which I love more than just about any game in years. :)

FACE

Banned
∀ Narayan;49086111 said:
Yeah, I noticed. Is it a Mechanist eye, though? If this is a reboot, I wonder how they're going to explain that.

Based on that summary I don't think they've mentioned anything about his eye.

Durante

The first person perspective is the ONLY acceptable viewpoint for a stealth-based game. Anything else is effectively cheating.
First person perspective is really the best for any game that tries to be immersive. But doubly so for a Thief game.

Top Bottom