• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Sounds good. Looks good for an early next gen game. I need to go back and play the last Game. I don't think I ever finished it.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ah the site's got all the bullet points already covered from the game informer article, never mine :p. Sounding good though!

Derrick01

Banned
Gameplay mechanics

- Navigation beacon shows players where to go
- “Focus” mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garrett’s vision as he navigates through open levels
- Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker
- Can upgrade Focus
- Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see
- Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in
- Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others

Yup it's a modern game alright *sigh*

Some of those can be fixed with toggle options but some can't.

Izick said:
Why is everybody so worried? Didn't EM just kill it with Deus Ex: HR a couple years ago? They know what they're doing.

No they did an alright job, but that's beside the point anyway since this is a different team in Eidos Montreal.

Izick

Why is everybody so worried? Didn't EM just kill it with Deus Ex: HR a couple years ago? They know what they're doing.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Very interested to see what this game does with lighting and particles on new hardware.

Yup it's a modern game alright *sigh*

Some of those can be fixed with toggle options but some can't.

Expert/hardcore modes will remove most of that.

Sloane

Banned
Sounds okay to me. Some modern shit can't be avoided I guess but Thief 3 found the right balance between old school and what was considered mordern at the time so... Why not. And it's not called Thiaf anymore!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How do the original Thief games hold up? Always wanted to play them, but now I fear they may be a bit dated.

sunnz

What this might lack in graphics quality ( if it does) I do hope they make up for it with scale, content and a good story.

Will it be open world?

Focus mode could be like object highlighting though in deus ex and allow us to turn it off in the options. Hopefully

Either way I ain't using it so they better not make it important to experience

golem

I dont mind the instinct/focus/whatever they want to call it that seems to be present in every Eidos game at this point, I just dont use it. I hope it is disabled in the higher difficulties though.

Derrick01

Banned
How do the original Thief games hold up? Always wanted to play them, but now I fear they may be a bit dated.

They're only dated in the graphics department.

The good thing about being a classic PC franchise is that the gameplay is still to this day better than anything we have. There hasn't been a stealth game that has surpassed Thief 2 in mechanics and level design.

Kouichi

http://gamingeverything.com/42090/thief-tons-of-details-from-game-informer/

The site updated with some more details

AI
- Garrett isn’t a fighter
- Fighting against four or more guards in combat won’t go well
- Guards and other NPCs are aware of the level design, so they know where a person might try to hide
- Guards understand the topography of the level and which areas could be useful for hiding
- Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways

S3hab8r.gif

Dishonored also had detective vision/focus, so we could technically exclude Arkham unless you were referring to something else.

I honestly didn't even remember this from Dishonored. I think whenever I see that stuff, I automatically think Rocksteady Batman games. Plus, Disarkhamed is fun to say.

I sorta prefer the Metroid Prime approach to that sort of thing. At least having to choose the right visor to see something added another wrinkle to scanning, even though it made searching blindly really annoying.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
- Many of the series’ magical elements will be toned down
How's this gonna work for the Pagans?

Ooh, will the Hammerites/Pagans/Keepers all be back? Not a Thief game without them.

Angry Fork

Can't wait for this game. Deus Ex 3 is in top 5 best games this gen imo, I loved it except for the boss battles which were annoying. But the amount of multiple pathways/stealth options, and the way they rewarded you for them was so incredibly satisfying. I would go through every pathway possible just in order to find all the hidden spots.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
- Garrett enters the room and takes a medallion
- He then uses Focus to look at the wall Eastwick is examining
- Focus shows a mysterious symbol written on the wall in blue energy
- Symbol corresponds to one of the runes written on the medallion
- Garrett turns a band of the medallion to line up that rune with an arrow, but the medallion then begins to glow with a similar blue energy
- Four adjacent rooms show four more symbols to line up
- After the last symbol is in place, the medallion whirls and spins
- Garrett has to hold his breath and move quick or he’ll see the same fate
- Another guard pins Garrett against a wall
- To buy time, Garrett enters Focus mode
- Garrett grabs the guard’s arm, jerks it back behind his soldier, eventually falls against the stone floor
Yeah I don't think focus is going to be a toggle.

Not happy to hear how heavily the focus ability plays into the gameplay, and not happy to see that ,"many of the series' magical elements will be toned down."

Izick

Get used to it, we will be hearing it for the next couple of years. "meh" "meh" "meh"
I think it motion it will be stunning.

I think the screens look fantastic but I guess we'll see what it really looks like when we get a trailer.

KKRT00

No, I think he means the ability that's completely broken and makes the game far too easy as a result.

You mean freeze time or possess?

Yes. Looking and feeling cool at the expense of good gameplay and good design doesn't do anything for me. Blink ruined any chance Dishonored had of being great.

Get spotted? Blink to a rooftop. Found a locked gate? Blink over it.
Yeah, so You need artificial constrains to have better gameplay design? You cant make Your own fun and goals in sandbox game, because You need restriction to be guided through the game.
And You're talking against modern game design, but seems You are perfect target for them...

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, so You need artificial constrains to have better gameplay design? You cant make Your own fun and goals in sandbox game, because You need restriction to be guided through the game.
And You're talking against modern game design, but seems You are perfect target for them...

Yes I need game developers to do their job and make a game. If I had to make my own fun I'd still be outside creating a tree fort or having rock fights. It's lazy to just to make a sandbox with no rules or development and tell the player "well go on, do something". It's the virtual form of your parents kicking you out of the house just because they want you outside.

And don't try to talk down to me. All of the great PC titles were run by rules and restrictions, like the old Thief games. You think the player created the masterful level design in those games, or the mechanics?

zkylon

zkylewd
Not a big fan of Focus and upgrades but I guess that's what you get for releasing your game in 2013.

Still, it's fucking Thief, so I'm pretty fucking excited.

Varg

Banned
Really wish I but in the thief bundle daily deal on steam a few weeks ago . Never experienced this franchise before but now that I have a great pc I really would love to

Top Bottom