• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

Glass Rebel

Haha, Dishonored definitely beat them to the punch.

But nice surprise, next-gen is probably their only chance to get some hype for it.

owasog

A game on the level of Thief 3 would be a significant step backwards from what we have now.
We can all agree on the small levels, but what exactly was wrong with the gameplay of Thief 3? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but wasn't it exactly the same as in Thief 1?

Hex

Banned
So glad they are sticking first person and not forcing third...
Wait...
Maybe...

O
C
U
L
U
S

R
I
F
T

HiiiLife

Thank-You-Based-God.jpg

Of course it'll have third person, why would they waste so much money on that full performance capture equipment? Maybe that's just a cutscene or an animation going into cover much like Deus Ex HR. It'll probably have third person kill animations, too.

Derrick01

Banned
DX:HR, purely played as a stealth game and ignoring the action elements, is better than Thief 3. Enemy behaviour is more sophisticated (like they can actually turn their heads and look around) and the cover system is superbly integrated with the stealth system. Dishonored is too; is has bigger levels, better AI, and more opportunity for improvisation. Mark of the Ninja isn't "AAA", and it's 2D, but despite that has the most complex stealth mechanics of probably any game.

A game on the level of Thief 3 would be a significant step backwards from what we have now.

I remember being able to turn invisible in HR and walking right by enemies. Not to mention the level design was horrendous. We can talk about Thief 3 being worse than 1 and 2 with smaller levels, but the level design in HR is find the vent somewhere in every room and sneak to it. AI and all that should be better for a game that came out 7 years later.

Dishonored is just a mess of a stealth game. They designed the entire world to revolve around all of the countless violent and action options they put in the game and around one of the worst abilities in gameplay history (blink). It may have a lot of stealth mechanics but what good are mechanics if you don't have the design to match it?

Megasoum

Banned
Of course it'll have third person, why would they waste so much money on that full performance capture equipment? Maybe that's just a cutscene or an animation going into cover much like Deus Ex HR. It'll probably have third person kill animations, too.

You do realize that the performance capture is not just for the main protagonist right? And many FPS have mocap nowadays.

ScOULaris

Finally a Game Informer cover story that actually lives up to the Twitter hype. Looking forward to getting my issue in the mail and reading all about it.

I don't think Thief and Dishonored should be compared. Besides, the assassin protagonist and first person view, there is nothing else common between them. There are no supernatural powers/abilities for the hero in Thief. You can't teleport and do other crazy shit. Just a blackjack, swords and bow and arrows. There's a mission structure and loadouts. You sit endlessly waiting for the guards to stop chatting so you can make your move.

Garrett isn't an assassin and I hope it stays that way.

Hopefully next-gen platformS implies Wii U. They are wokring on a DE HR port afterall. The visuals definitely look within its capacity too

kfpkiller

Watch Dogs, Black List, etc

And The Witness may come to both Wii U and Xbox 720.
No, I mean a game being revealed after the wii u launch and then a wii u version announced later.
There hasn't been one.
If it was coming to wii u it would have been announced, like AC4.

Meelow

Banned
No, I mean a game being revealed after the wii u launch and then a wii u version announced later.
There hasn't been one.
If it was coming to wii u it would have been announced, like AC4.

Resident Evil Revelations I guess, since it was confirmed for 360 first and than later to other platforms.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edit: Was it confirmed for all systems at once? I'll check.

Edit 2: Yep your right, it was confirmed for all systems at once, sorry.

Resident Evil Revelations I guess, since it was confirmed for 360 first and than later to other platforms.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

No, we knew from leaks it was coming to 360. When Capcom announced it it was for all platforms. There is no reason not to announce Wii U in the platform list if it was coming to the platform. We're going to have to go through the same song and dance we did with the Wii early on wondering if said games would be downported.

KKRT00

one of the worst abilities in gameplay history (blink).

You mean the best movement skill in history of gaming, right? That not only opens up level design vertically, but also make traversing enjoyable as hell. Its fast, responsive and skill dependent, how can anyone even hate that.

BTW have You tried using pure stealth in Dishonored without a blink? I'm pretty sure that most levels can be finished without using it even once.

I did not like dishonoured as much as I hoped I would.

I certainly hope this thief reboot takes more from the original series than dishonoured. Some of the best stealth games of all time

Deus ex human revolution seemed to do it right imo. Although it looked like it favoured action, it catered towards hacking and stealth as well

Edit: blink sucks

Odrion

Banned
I hope they keep the design feature in 3 where when you billy club someone their spine instantly turns into jello.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
PLEASE let it be Stephen Russell who voices Garrett again.. I'd give both my kidneys for that.

I will be genuinely shocked if they use a different voice actor. Stephen Russell's voiceacting is part of why Garrett is such a legendary video game character.

I remember being able to turn invisible in HR and walking right by enemies. Not to mention the level design was horrendous. We can talk about Thief 3 being worse than 1 and 2 with smaller levels, but the level design in HR is find the vent somewhere in every room and sneak to it. AI and all that should be better for a game that came out 7 years later.

Dishonored is just a mess of a stealth game. They designed the entire world to revolve around all of the countless violent and action options they put in the game and around one of the worst abilities in gameplay history (blink). It may have a lot of stealth mechanics but what good are mechanics if you don't have the design to match it?

What? Blink was terrific. Dishonored's level design was pretty good, it needs work, but, tis pretty decent. You act as though Dishonored is the worst game you've ever played...I mean I probably shouldn't question you, as you're more knowledgeable about these kind of games then i am, but, I dunno I thought Dishonored had great level design.

FACE

Banned
You mean the best movement skill in history of gaming, right? That not only opens up level design vertically, but also make traversing enjoyable as hell. Its fast, responsive and skill dependent, how can anyone even hate that.

BTW have You tried using pure stealth in Dishonored without a blink? I'm pretty sure that most levels can be finished without using it even once.

No, I think he means the ability that's completely broken and makes the game far too easy as a result.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does anyone happen to have the magazine and can share details?

I think it's supposed to be out by now, but I could be wrong.

sp3000

DX:HR, purely played as a stealth game and ignoring the action elements, is better than Thief 3. Enemy behaviour is more sophisticated (like they can actually turn their heads and look around) and the cover system is superbly integrated with the stealth system. Dishonored is too; is has bigger levels, better AI, and more opportunity for improvisation. Mark of the Ninja isn't "AAA", and it's 2D, but despite that has the most complex stealth mechanics of probably any game.

DXHR is a joke compared to thief 3. The entire lighting system and sound system is not there. All enemy reactions are based on line of sight. It's a very primitive system.

You could argue that dishonored is better, but it's not the same game. It's an action game with stealth as a possible option. In Thief, stealth is your only option. It's actual stealth elements are very slim.

Thief 3's tremendous emphasis on sound and lighting still hasn't been surpassed.

StuBurns

Banned
Haha yep.

Dishonoured did abilities wrong. I think blink should have been a lot harder on ur mana gauge. It was stupid that I could use it like every few seconds
Indeed, once you get Blink 2, you're practically God in that game, and you can get it so quickly. Some people would argue you're breaking the game, and it's only hurting you, but I'm of the belief that the most effective way to play is the correct way.

Derrick01

Banned
No, I think he means the ability that's completely broken and makes the game far too easy as a result.

Yes. Looking and feeling cool at the expense of good gameplay and good design doesn't do anything for me. Blink ruined any chance Dishonored had of being great.

Get spotted? Blink to a rooftop. Found a locked gate? Blink over it.

You mean like in the original Deus Ex?

The original Deus Ex wasn't trying to be a stealth game. And in a lot of ways neither was HR, I wish people would move beyond trying to label it as one when it's clearly not.

What? Blink was terrific. Dishonored's level design was pretty good, it needs work, but, tis pretty decent. You act as though Dishonored is the worst game you've ever played...I mean I probably shouldn't question you, as you're more knowledgeable about these kind of games then i am, but, I dunno I thought Dishonored had great level design.

I enjoyed Dishonored's level design, but primarily for the liberating feeling of navigating space that Blink gives you. I think Derrick's issue was that it make the game easy, which it did.

EDIT: Yep^

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I guess Iwata was right if those screens are to go by. We can't really notice a difference. Looks like witcher 2 on pc to me. Looks pretty decent

calder

Loved the Thief series, especially 2, but really found Dishonored to be a let down. Played a few hours, got past the brothel but just stopped playing but got bored somehow and haven't gone back since. I liked the story and characters fine but the graphics/art was meh (on PS3, unfortunately) and the stealth gameplay just didn't entertain me that much. Too much running along ceiling fixtures in the daytime or in brightly lit buildings or something.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Details are out and currently it's a "reboot" based on the lore of the original. Will update details.

Liking what I'm seeing for Thief. It looks like the team is focused on making an experience that's on the same level as Thief 2, which is good.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Does anyone happen to have the magazine and can share details?

I think it's supposed to be out by now, but I could be wrong.
This site mined some info.

http://gamingeverything.com/42090/thief-tons-of-details-from-game-informer/

Gameplay mechanics

- Navigation beacon shows players where to go
- Dev. team wants players to explore environments as they see fit
- Multiple entrances and exists in each room
- Multiple options available for stealth approach
- “Focus” mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garrett’s vision as he navigates through open levels
- Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker
- Can upgrade Focus
- Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see
- Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in
- Every drawer is accessible
- Can pickpocket
- Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others
- Can spend money to upgrade supplies and equipment at the end of each mission

Persona86

Banned
I hope this doesn't try to copy and be too much like Dishonored. I want it to be as unique as possible. (the screens worry me)

Dishonored was good, but I felt like something was missing and it was pretty boring.

FACE

Banned
“Focus” mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garrett’s vision as he navigates through open levels
- Navigation beacon shows players where to go

Don't like this.

Top Bottom