• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamersyde Exclusive Halo 3 footage

Tzeentch

Mauler = "Excavator" in code (some weapons are named differently in their tags) = "Boring Weapon" from the Halo retrospective video. So that specific weapon actually dates from before Halo as we know it really existed :)

ape2man

I'm getting really worried about halo 3. After seeing
these movies i'm beginning to think that halo 3 singelplayer will have the exact same
game mechanic as halo 1 and 2 (Driving Section, Shooting section).

i havent seen jack shit of the entire game but these thinks are exacly the same as
halo 1 and 2 where is the evolution in these game mechanics.

My god i already played HALO 1 AND 2 i dont want the exact same thing again.

PaulRTC

urk said:
I warn you. Once seen, it cannot be unseen. Click and be forever Brutezoned.
I remember the first time it was brought up and everyone was quoting the picture and laughing or saying "wow", and I had no idea what you guys were talking about. I was trying to find anything in the picture that could be of note: was it the teammate arrow? The motion blur? The sparks? The... wait, what, what's that!? Is that? Oh my.

jet1911

ape2man said:
these movies i'm beginning to think that halo 3 singelplayer will have the exact same

i havent seen jack shit of the entire game but these thinks are exacly the same as

My god i already played HALO 1 AND 2

o_O

ape2man said:

Please....just leave now. Spare us all the trouble.

That ODST pic is fucking amazing. Ive seen the action short and think they look fantastic in motion. Dont know why everyone keeps saying it looks stupid.

Lakitu

st5fu
ape2man said:

No, you're not jumping the gun at all.

armubaba

ape2man said:
Don't you even share a little of my concerns that they just did another halo 2 but now with a ending.

FINALLY somebody who agrees with me. They aren't adding any new features! I mean, they're even re-using the Halo 2 engine too, right?

Leave it to Bungie to re-use old game mechanics, like shooting sections.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ape2man said:

squirrel_what_2.gif

Tieno

ape2man said:

I heard Halo 3, just like Halo 1 and Halo 2 will consist of some shooting, then a cutscene, then some shooting, mixed in with some driving, some shooting, driving, some flying and then some shooting, spruced in with some more cutscenes, then master chief gets killed THE END.

I are Bungie Lead Writer!

At least they're tightening up the graphics on level 3, it'll be very tight.

GhaleonEB

ape2man said:
Don't you even share a little of my concerns that they just did another halo 2 but now with a ending.
If you have paid even marginal attention to Halo 3, the answer to your question is a resounding, "no".

ape2man

If you stick your neck out it gets chopped off. Anyway hope i dont get the feeling i'm playing halo 1/2 with better graphics when halo 3 is in my 360.

Voltron64

ape2man said:
If you stick your neck out it gets chopped off. Anyway hope i dont get the feeling i'm playing halo 1/2 with better graphics when halo 3 is in my 360.

What do you want Halo 3 to be? An rpg? If they change the formula it wouldn't be Halo anymore.

armubaba

ape2man said:

See, if you stick your neck out and have a valid point, you'll be fine. But when you stick your neck out with a completely nonsense idea for which you cannot support, you'll get decapitated. That's how it works.

Wile E Bud said:

I have to install Silverlight? Lame. Can anybody youtube it?

DrBo42

I thought this was going to be new as well but it turns out to be just short 2 part 1. False alarm folks, move along.

GavinGT

Banned
ape2man said:

If you don't want to play Halo, go play something else. If it doesn't play and feel like Halo (which, from the video, I think it most certainly does), Bungie is dead to me.

ape2man

Voltron64 said:
What do you want Halo 3 to be? An rpg? If they change the formula it wouldn't be Halo anymore.

O god no, its more that i was expecting some significant variable inserted in
the game play. And i don't mean the bubble shield or the trip mines or grav boost. Its just that I'm seeing the exact same driving sequence i have played in halo 1 and 2
and the exact same combat sequences that i played in halo 1 and 2.

Ok the bubble shield, trip mines, grav boost, detachable gun emplacements are a nice twist to an existing game mechanic but i don't think its big enough. I hope I'm wrong i really do, i fear i wont be.

I don't get why you expect the game mechanics to deviate significantly from the past. It's a first person shooter. It's Halo. You walk and drive around shooting things; it's how it works!

As for the same combat sequences you finally have sort of a valid concern (valid in the sense that it makes sense). However, if you've been paying attention to Bungie's own descriptions of combat, the increased power of the AI, combined with more randomisation in enemy behaviour, weapons, and types will mean that things never play out the same way twice.

ape2man said:
the game play. And i don't mean the bubble shield or the trip mines or grav boost. Its just that I'm seeing the exact same driving sequence i have played in halo 1 and 2

Ok the bubble shield, trip mines, grav boost, detachable gun emplacements are a nice twist to an existing game mechanic but i don't think its big enough. I hope I'm wrong i really do, i fear i wont be.
If you are expecting "revolutionary" like say from Resident Evil 3 to Resident Evil 4, it ain't gonna happen cause things weren't broken and needed to be flushed like in RE series at the time.

Halo works great as was, and fans and critics are looking for evolutionary improvements, not a damn reset.

FFChris

New videos have gone up on Gametrailers for the Halo 3 Pax event, you get all 3 matches cut to the interesting bits (you see the flamethrower really clearly, firebombs, the mauler).

http://www.gametrailers.com/

All 3 videos are right on the front page.

Edit: Holy crap, the flamethrower is extremely powerful!

GhaleonEB

ape2man said:
I don't think you were sticking your neck out, just making either an A) uninformed statement, or B) trolling. I'm assuming it was the former, so there's no chopping off going on here. If you've paid any attention at all to the content and features announced for Halo 3, and the ways in which the gameplay has evolved, there's no way you can make the statement you did. The gameplay is decidedly Halo, which is perhaps why you thought it was familar. Driving around in a warthog killing Covenant is bound to look a little familar.

And I'm reasonably certain that you will get the feeling that you are playing a decidedly new Halo game when you place the disk in your 360. :)

RPS37 said:
Yay, been waiting for that.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ape2man said:

I get what you're sayin' but it's a bit like not picking up Metroid because it'll just be shootin' and collectin' and rollin' into a ball. Those are the things that make that game kick ass.

The core gameplay is going to be pretty similar, but everything has been turned up to eleven, slathered in chocolate, and then lit on fire.

Dirtbag

DopeyFish said:
not sure if this was posted

found some narrows footage on youtube of all places http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZykc4_h3FM

Why in all these videos do people just run past the good weapons, or pick up the new stuff, never fire it and swap it for a rocket launcher which they usually whiff with? It drives me nuts, is it that hard to fire a mauler! People have picked them up a few times now. Just pull the damn trigger.

Doodlebug

It's good to finally see the proper, non-shakey cam version of the Blomkamp short. Hopefully it makes it to Marketplace, available in 720p.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Why in all these videos do people just run past the good weapons, or pick up the new stuff, never fire it and swap it for a rocket launcher which they usually whiff with? It drives me nuts, is it that hard to fire a mauler! People have picked them up a few times now. Just pull the damn trigger.

My thoughts exactly.

FFChris

Dirtbag 504 said:

Watch the gametrailers video. Plenty of mauler action, and a lot of flamethrower stuff.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag 504 said:
This was a competition for $5,000 in cash and an all-expense paid trip to TGS, played in front of an audience of thousands. And Gabe mentioned these guys were not big Halo players:

For last year's secret round of the Omegathon, we chose Tetris - it's elemental gameplay, which is a virtue we like to uphold in that round, but we found the one guy in the entire universe who had never played Tetris. This year, when Frankie offered up Bungie's full support of the event, we realized fairly quickly that we had a startling opportunity here. Then, in the space of a week, we commissioned the Minibosses to deliver a trademark version of the Halo 3 theme over Cortana's chilling rampancy. Neither MNC Dover or Accolon were especially familiar with Halo, another statistical impossibility, but this might have been for the best - they were doing battle on never seen before maps, each of them tuned in Forge to have piles of big guns jammed into every crevice. To quote Bungie's Lukems, this was Halo: Hyper Fighting Edition. Accolon eventually took it, but our competitors definitely delivered the required spectacle.
They were probably grabbing what they were familiar with - what they knew to be effective - because in that kind of a game you don't want to get killed while experimenting with a new but inappropriate to the situation weapon.

So, yeah. Cut'em some slack. Heck, as familiar with Halo as I am I'd probably have just dropped the controller from my sweaty, trembling hands with a clatter under those circumstances. :lol

Dirtbag

GhaleonEB said:
This was a competition for $5,000 in cash and an all-expense paid trip to TGS, played in front of an audience of thousands. And Gabe mentioned these guys were not big Halo players:

They were probably grabbing what they were familiar with - what they knew to be effective - because in that kind of a game you don't want to get killed while experimenting with a new but inappropriate to the situation weapon.

So, yeah. Cut'em some slack. Heck, as familiar with Halo as I am I'd probably have just dropped the controller from my sweaty, trembling hands with a clatter under those circumstances. :lol

I didnt realize. Man I could have cleaned up at that tournament. It would have been a shutout.

PaulRTC

FFChris said:
New videos have gone up on Gametrailers for the Halo 3 Pax event, you get all 3 matches cut to the interesting bits (you see the flamethrower really clearly, firebombs, the mauler).

For convenience:

Omegathon Round 1 - SD | HD
Omegathon Round 2 - SD | HD
Gabe vs. Tycho - SD | HD

FFChris said:

JEBUS, the flame thrower is absolutely UNFAIR close up! :lol

FFChris

PaulRTC said:
For convenience:

Omegathon Round 1 - SD | HD
Omegathon Round 2 - SD | HD
Gabe vs. Tycho - SD | HD

Thanks Paul, I didn't link directly because I didn't think Gametrailers did proper links, I though it all went off the normal page, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, all those videos are worth a watch, for the HD if anything.

Edit: Looks like they are playing a Guardian varient called OmeGuardian, setup for the event. I think that the flamethrower has probably been placed there just for the event.

armubaba said:
FINALLY somebody who agrees with me. They aren't adding any new features! I mean, they're even re-using the Halo 2 engine too, right?

Leave it to Bungie to re-use old game mechanics, like shooting sections.

Dude, spoiler tag that shit. I had no idea there were going to be shooting sections. Son of a bitch!

Ramirez

At least Gabe and Tycho have a clue of what they're doing.

Anyone notice how much more painful and loud the Spartan screams are upon death now? :lol Maybe I'm imagining things, but I don't remember them being that loud.

Top Bottom