• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamersyde Exclusive Halo 3 footage

armubaba

Ramirez said:
I would have been walking home 5 thousand richer, some clowns get all the breaks. >.>

You might win the last round, but somehow I doubt you could beat everybody at Jenga (Tabletop), Calling All Cars (console), Quake III (PC), Karaoke Revolution (rhythm/music), and Puzzle Quest (puzzle/portable).

:lol

GhaleonEB

Shogmaster said:
JEBUS, the flame thrower is absolutely UNFAIR close up! :lol
I think that's going to be the beauty of it. It's going to be a great base defense (and base assualt, if you can lug it there) weapon. Very short range, and can only fire in three-second bursts, but if you get caught in it, you're toast.

couldn't help it

Does anyone else find it ironic that as much as Gabe and Tycho simply didn't enjoy Halo 2, from those clips they're pretty damn decent at 3?

Ramirez

armubaba said:
You might win the last round, but somehow I doubt you could beat everybody at Jenga (Tabletop), Calling All Cars (console), Quake III (PC), Karaoke Revolution (rhythm/music), and Puzzle Quest (puzzle/portable).

:lol

I got sweet vocals, back up!

armubaba

PaulRTC said:
For convenience:

Omegathon Round 1 - SD | HD
Omegathon Round 2 - SD | HD
Gabe vs. Tycho - SD | HD

Man, all throughout the videos, I had this stupid grin on my face. It just looks so damn fun. Just pure, classic Halo. I can only imagine my friends and I having LAN parties, roasting each other with firebombs, and cracking each others' skulls with the Grav Hammer. :D

With these videos, my fears about the firebomb and the flamethrower just disappeared. Not only do they seem to fit well with the Halo universe and gameplay, they look absolutely beautiful as well.

LESS THAN A MONTH UNTIL THIS BABY DROPS, AND I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT. BUNGIE AM KINGS.

GhaleonEB said:
I think that's going to be the beauty of it. It's going to be a great base defense (and base assualt, if you can lug it there) weapon. Very short range, and can only fire in three-second bursts, but if you get caught in it, you're toast.

couldn't help it

Sheeeeit, if I see a dude with that thing, I'm running the other way regardless of whether I have the sword or not.

KevinRo said:
decent? GTFO

What, you don't think so?

Maybe it's because I'm being partially biased due to the terribleness of the omeganauts, but they seemed to do fine. That first kill Gabe got with the Plasma Turret was pretty nice.

FFChris

Photolysis said:
Decent is not a term I would apply to players who rely on 1-hit kill weapons for most of their kills :lol

If you have the weapons on the map, why not use them? A kill is a kill, whether it's with the Sword or the BR.

PaulRTC

I really like the way the incindiery grenades catch walls whenever it's thrown on ground nearby - makes it feel a lot more like fire than just a burning blob of particles. The flamethrower itself looks glorious, and the visual effect on burnt surfaces looks great. The mauler looks really satisfying to fire - glad we finally got to see it in action, should make for some good dual wield combos. These videos from gametrailers are much better than those from gamevideos, both because the action is more condensed and because the quality is much better, still appreciate the speed at which GV managed to get theirs up though - helped maintain the steady flux of Halo 3 media.

Seeing the maps themselves being played makes it really easy to imagine how fun Halo 3 MP is going to be, which is a real pain when you're trying to make the wait more bearable. Just 29 (long) days left.

Stachzilla said:
Maybe it's because I'm being partially biased due to the terribleness of the omeganauts, but they seemed to do fine. That first kill Gabe got with the Plasma Turret was pretty nice.
Agreed, though I'd still caution to call them decent; less than mediocre might be better.

DrBo42

What's with the Bungie guys downplaying the flamethrower? It raped a dude of his entire shield in a trigger pull. WHAT THE FUCK?

FFChris

DrBo42 said:
What's with the Bungie guys downplaying the flamethrower? It raped a dude of his entire shield in a trigger pull. WHAT THE FUCK?

It's short range and a support weapon, which means 50% speed and no grenades. I wouldn't expect to see it on a map as small as that, they probably just added it in to show off the new weapons at the PAX event.

But yes, at close range, that thing is unstoppable. Keep a bubble shield handy at all times.

If you have the weapons on the map, why not use them? A kill is a kill, whether it's with the Sword or the BR.

Well, yeah, you'd use the more powerful weapon granted. But when you're incapable of getting a kill without a powerful weapon, you're not that good. When it came to using weapons that required more in the way of aiming, they were more or less hopeless.

HallwayGiant said:
Agreed, though I'd still caution to call them decent; less than mediocre might be better.

How bout we agree on not terrible and call it a day?

Also.. don't think this has been posted. The nice lil Halo 3 theme intro to the Omegathon

Link

Part 2
Can also be found on PA

Ramirez said:
Anyone notice how much more painful and loud the Spartan screams are upon death now? :lol Maybe I'm imagining things, but I don't remember them being that loud.
You are correct. They're more varied now and I think there were two (slightly) different voices too.

Speaking of sound: I think the Carbine sounds a little bit different as well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
MicVlaD said:
You are correct. They're more varied now and I think there were two (slightly) different voices too.

btw: don't forget there's female spartan voices now, too.

Blueblur1

MicVlaD said:

The Carbine had its new sound effect in the Beta.

FFChris

Photolysis said:
Well, yeah, you'd use the more powerful weapon granted. But when you're incapable of getting a kill without a powerful weapon, you're not that good. When it came to using weapons that required more in the way of aiming, they were more or less hopeless.

Heh, yea. Still, we were all there once!

Not me though, I was awesome as soon as I picked up the damn controller.

DrBo42

FFChris said:
Heh, yea. Still, we were all there once!

Not me though, I was awesome as soon as I picked up the damn controller.
*Pulls out security footage from FFChris's house after he put in Halo 1 for the first time* Untrue. Here you were getting murdered by GRUNTS on the Pillar of Autumn.

FFChris

DrBo42 said:
*Pulls out security footage from FFChris's house after he put in Halo 1 for the first time* Untrue. Here you were getting murdered by GRUNTS on the Pillar of Autumn.

Oh the shame!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn, the GameTrailers vids, especially the Omegathon Part One had me so giddy looking at them - oh man! :D

The editing was excellent in the Part One vid - only action...

And the Flamethrower - pure goodness - I loved when he roasted him with a quick burst, then continued to blast his burnt carcass - awesome! This weapon is going to be so devastating on defense - and it's so satisfying to even see a Sword guy ignited like nothing, and running for his final 0.5th of a second in flames!

And finally seeing the Mauler in action is everything and more that I expected - love the kick after each shot, and again, the weapon sounds perfect - you can't give 'em enough credit for the sounds of everything in this game, from as far back as the Beta...

From the Spartan they were recording from (betaFrankie), we could get a perfect look at the ODST permutations as well - too cool...

And I know for sure that that was a Forge creation, but it's cool to notice that they have visible blue pedestals to hold the weapon up on too... and the Overshield is a red-colored orb ala the Invisibility now...

Again, as if seeing that in action wasn't fun enough, the crowd was excellent as well - them and the Penny Arcade guys seemed to have a blast there... wish I was there to get an easy $5000 though! :lol

Oh yeah, the voice was a totally different guy for sure for the Spartans - noticed that right away...

Blueblur1

Anyone notice the first gametrailers video that there's debug text in the bottom left at the beginning of the match and that the player detached the camera when he had the turret? Special debug button press on accident?

omegathoncrop.jpg

(sorry for crappy pic)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ramirez said:
Which vid has the mauler in action, I saw them pick it up several times, but never shoot it...?

one on gametrailers... he shoots it several times one of the guardian ones... accept my game invite :|

armubaba

Ramirez said:
Which vid has the mauler in action, I saw them pick it up several times, but never shoot it...?

One of the Gametrailers videos (I don't remember which) has a player dual-wielding and firing one.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Stachzilla said:
Does anyone else find it ironic that as much as Gabe and Tycho simply didn't enjoy Halo 2, from those clips they're pretty damn decent at 3?

I ran into them in the F&F Beta and they chewed through my team like a hot knife through something that would melt easily when in contact with heated metal.

GhaleonEB

armubaba said:
One of the Gametrailers videos (I don't remember which) has a player dual-wielding and firing one.
The first one, IIRC.

Finally got to see the flame grenade and flamethrower in action just now. I like.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
I ran into them in the F&F Beta and they chewed through my team like a hot knife through something that would melt easily when in contact with heated metal.
They made a post about the Beta when it was running, essentially saying that it was excellent and they'd been playing it a lot. And for all the crap they gave Bungie about Halo 2, most of it was regarding the Campaign; they've played quite a bit of H2 MP.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
They made a post about the Beta when it was running, essentially saying that it was excellent and they'd been playing it a lot. And for all the crap they gave Bungie about Halo 2, most of it was regarding the Campaign; they've played quite a bit of H2 MP.

I was kidding. They were terrible. I think they got four kills total on a slayer match on Valhalla. Really nice guys though.

FFChris

GhaleonEB said:
The first one, IIRC.

Finally got to see the flame grenade and flamethrower in action just now. I like.

The firebomb is going to be fucking deadly in escape situations. Those flames eat through shields so fast, no doubt it will be a good way to swing an impossible situation in your favor.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
I was kidding. They were terrible. I think they got four kills total on a slayer match on Valhalla. Really nice guys though.
Well that explains their Humpday Challenge results. :lol

And I quoted the wrong guy. I meant to respond to the same guy you did. But I didn't. And now I look silly.

The firebomb is going to be fucking deadly in escape situations. Those flames eat through shields so fast, no doubt it will be a good way to swing an impossible situation in your favor.

Forget escape situations; I'm looking forward to hitting some guy in the face with one of those bad boys. Even more so than continuing my reign of terror with spike and plasma grenades.

GhaleonEB

Photolysis said:
Forget escape situations; I'm looking forward to hitting some guy in the face with one of those bad boys. Even more so than continuing my reign of terror with spike and plasma grenades.
I wonder. If you set the floor/walls/terrain on fire and someone walks through it, they catch on fire and take damage. If you tag a player, coating the doomed soul with flames, and in their panic they bump into other players, will those other guys take damage? Could be a good way to end friendships, get set on fire and toast your buddies along the way.

Ramirez

DopeyFish said:
one on gametrailers... he shoots it several times one of the guardian ones... accept my game invite :|

I had already started another game by the time I remembered you invited me. :lol

FFChris

GhaleonEB said:
I wonder. If you set the floor/walls/terrain on fire and someone walks through it, they catch on fire and take damage. If you tag a player, coating the doomed soul with flames, and in their panic they bump into other players, will those other guys take damage? Could be a good way to end friendships, get set on fire and toast your buddies along the way.

I wonder if Forge will allow infinite grenades, I suppose you could just drop a tonne of firebombs down. But you could have some cool fire fights (literally) with a map full of firebombs.

GhaleonEB said:
If you tag a player, coating the doomed soul with flames, and in their panic they bump into other players, will those other guys take damage?
Sounds like a good way to clear the enemy base/flag room in a hurry.

armubaba

FFChris said:

Seriously. The firebomb looks like it has so many good uses in Multiplayer. Trapping players in certain rooms, funneling them into areas where you have an advantage, or even making way for a successful retreat. Seems like utilizing firebombs will be integral to a good strategy on certain maps.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
HallwayGiant said:
Sounds like a good way to clear the enemy base/flag room in a hurry.

Flamethrower looks like it would do the trick as well. One group goes in to draw fire and the flamethrower sweeps in from behind to lay down the napalm.

Top Bottom