• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've purchased, but haven't had the urge to play

w0s

Mafia 3. I love the series and was so excited but I played it once and after the opening sequence I just can't seem to get the urge to play.

Persona 5
Nier Automata
Atelier Firis
Crash trilogy
Recore
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Pokémon Moon

And I'm just getting started.

paperlynx

MGSV, I bought it fully intending to play but I bought it at the same time as dishonored 2, played that first and never touched it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No Man's Sky, even after all the updates. I can't bring myself to start playing it. I don't even know why I picked it up .. I'm really not into those kind of survival/collection games.

grimmiq

I've just started clearing out some of my backlog, currently playing through Divinity: Original Sin(PC) and Kingdom Hearts 2.5(PS4, before that I owned it on PS3, never touched), owned both since they were released.

Games sitting in my recent backlog that I just can't bring myself to play yet include

The Last Guardian
FFXII HD
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Telltale Game of Thrones
Banner Saga 1 & 2

I'm getting around to them..slowly.

GamerJM

Banned
I have somewhat high expectations of Miitopia and I think it's probably a better game than some of the games I've played after buying it, but it's still in the shrink wrap solely because I haven't felt the desire to actually play it yet.

Lots of Steam sale games are like this too. Off the top of my head, Max Payne, DOOM, Tembo the Badass Elephant, the Ys games.....

Harlequin

For me it's mostly just that I'm so focused on work/uni stuff and how far behind I am with that that I can't quite get myself to commit to a game at the moment (unless it's one I've been absolutely dying to play) so I've got quite a few games I've purchased but haven't played yet.

Alien: Isolation
Hitman
The Last Guardian
Her Story
Spec Ops: The Line
God of War Saga
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Murdered: Soul Suspect
A Story About My Uncle

And a few others.

mitx

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Mass Effect: Andromeda for me.

I considering that i've bought a Switch and Zelda this week, i'm not getting to them anytime soon..

Ahasverus

The four Uncharteds and TLOU. I don't know why I keep buying cinematic shooters, or shooters, for that matter. I only like guns in horror or open worlds.

I also bought Divinity 1, played like half and hour and saw it was 3hadcore6me and will have it there staring AR me forever.

Oh god, like half of my Steam library? Especially mechanic heavy or unforgiving games like stalker or Wasteland 2. Or a lot of older classics that I’d know I would love, like Legacy of Kain or Planescape Torment.

I like to buy the hardcore stuff but end up playing baby casual games instead. I’m easily intimidated.

Dark souls 2 and banner saga. They both have the same issue which I'm not in a mood for a long game and dark souls 2 is a big game and banner saga is really slow from what I've seen. Will probably go to ds2 eventually but doubt banner will be played by me.

dr_rus

All of them with some exceptions. As a general rule, I don't play games before they get 3-5 patches these days even though I tend to buy those in which I'm interested in on day one.

Raw64life

Not counting Steam, my backlog consists of 1 game: Last of Us Remastered. Bought it for $20 a couple years ago. I'm sure I'll get around to it one of these months.....years.

eXistor

Yakuza Kiwami. I know I'll love the game, but they're such big time-sinks I just can't bring myself to start it up.

For me it's without a doubt Devil May Cry 4.

I actually bought the game digitally back in 2015 before I even had a PS4 because it was on sale at the time.

I haven't even went past chapter 4.

What's funny is that I breezed through DMC 1-3 and even the reboot as well on PS3.

I've bought and beaten plenty of other games such as FFXV, Uncharted 4 and Horizon but for some reason I have no desire to complete Devil May Cry 4.

Played two levels of halo 5 then stopped and haven’t played since.

Played a few levels of crash bandicoot trilogy and haven’t played since.

Bought ultimate marvel vs capcom over the summer. Just played it for the first time this week. Played arcade mode once then turned it off.

Haven’t played anything meaningful in two years.

Endless Legend - I keep buying expansions for the game on sales, without actually playing it.

Frozen Cortex - Bought it during early access. Still haven't properly learned the tutorial.

ICO/Shadow of the Colossus for PS3 - Beat both games on PS2. ICO even 2-3 times. Bought this version to replay again, but not sure if I even has put the disc in the console yet. Might have given ICO a few minutes, but unsure.

King of the Dragon Pass (GOG) - Bought since it sounded like a perfect game for me. Still haven't tried it.

Prison Architect - Played the tutorial, liked that. Started building my own prison for five minutes or so. Haven't gotten back to it since, because reasons.

Sid Meier's Starships - Bought the Sid Meier Humble Bundle because of this. Steam has logged 3 minutes for me on the game so far.

Tex Murphy - The Pandora Directive - Backed the kickstarter without having played the previous games in the series. Havent tried this one either so far.

The Talos Principle - Bought on the Steam sale a couple of years ago. Haven't even installed it yet. Estimated game length + people saying how frustrating it becomes at the end of it, puts me off playg init.

Dark Link

There's way too many games for me to list them all so I'll only write out ones I can recall off the top of my head

Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Ratchet and Clank
Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD
Fire Emblem Echoes
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
God of War Trilogy
Bravely Default 2
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Bunch of old DS games that are sitting on my shelf.

I've actually had the urge to play some of these in the past, but almost instantly lost it the following day cause other games / stuff.

Necron

Final Fantasy XV
Should I play it now or wait until another patch comes out? Then again, this leads to a greater demotivation explained below.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I just played Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda and Witcher 3 before it. I'm open-worlded out for the foreseeable future. I'm playing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and hopefully finding something else which is linear. I just can't deal with icons on a map, collecting weeds, sorting out people's problems, dealing with non-existent level design and questionable pacing anymore for 50-100+ hours... it's unfortunate and I really want to play Breath of the Wild but absolutely not at this moment in time.

EricB

Splatoon 2 comes to mind.

I always kind of hated the game's visual style, but I thought I'd give it a chance because the gameplay seemed fun. I picked it up and played for about five minutes on the day of release and just couldn't stomach it.

Now I've got a lot of better games to play, and significantly less time, so I don't see myself getting back to it anytime soon unfortunately.

angelic

Banned
Takes me ages to get to stuff, Metroid ROS special edition + amiibos still sealed while I work my way through my 360 catalogue. Just started Dead Space 1.

Took me 9 months to play TLG (well worth it).

Uncharted 4 sitting on shelf while I play Rocket League every damn night instead.

Splatoon 2 comes to mind.

I always kind of hated the game's visual style, but I thought I'd give it a chance because the gameplay seemed fun. I picked it up and played for about five minutes on the day of release and just couldn't stomach it.

Now I've got a lot of better games to play, and significantly less time, so I don't see myself getting back to it anytime soon unfortunately.

I'll play it for you since you don't like it.

angelic

Banned
Money is too hard to come by on these streets to be buying shit and not using it. The fuck!?

Sometimes you feel like you have to secure a special edition, or a pristine copy, or just feel happier to get the game safely into your house rather than miss out on it. I know I do.

I'm learning though, no more big silly special editions, cheap plastic statues that smell of petrol, paying over the odds for a steelbook you put into a drawer.

Besides games on dirt cheap sales this doesn't really happen to me. I can't imagine buying a full price game and not immediately playing it. Seems like a waste not to wait in that case.

seady

More than 75% of games I bought I played it for less than 30 mins, and many are still sealed.

The latest additions are Destiny 2 and Nier Automata, both still in their box after 2-3 weeks I bought them.

angelic

Banned
More than 75% of games I bought I played it for less than 30 mins, and many are still sealed.

The latest additions are Destiny 2 and Nier Automata, both still in their box after 2-3 weeks I bought them.

You're probably addicted to the purchasing endorphin rush.

Falchion

I bought the Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition at launch and haven't even touched it yet. I wanted to play through the original first but just haven't gotten around to it yet....

Rellik

About 200+ games in my Steam library.

Sometimes you feel like you have to secure a special edition, or a pristine copy, or just feel happier to get the game safely into your house rather than miss out on it. I know I do.

I'm learning though, no more big silly special editions, cheap plastic statues that smell of petrol, paying over the odds for a steelbook you put into a drawer.

Those special editions are now cheaper than the base game 6 months after release because they never sell them all.

I just uninstalled X-Com 2 (With the expansion), without ever having touched the expansion, despite pre-ordering it a couple of months in advance. I casually happened to watch quite a bit of stream footage, and I felt that was enough for me.

I have Uncharted: Lost Legacy sitting here, as well as Yakuza Kiwami (Still haven't finished Yakuza Zero). I've got Total War: Warhammer preloaded, yet I have the sudden urge to play Star Trek Online again after watching Discovery.

Linkark07

Banned
As of recently, Yakuza Kiwami. Was finishing Persona 5 when it was released and now I'm trying to finish Bioshock 2.

Dunno if after Bioshock 2 I will play or try and finish Odin Sphere or Trails of Cold Steel.

MazeHaze

Banned
PUBG- played about 13 hours, then my house got burglarized, twice, and then I moved. I've been all set up for a few weeks but for some reason I never feel like playing it. Solo seems overwhelming, and my friends are never on when I am.

Hollow Knight - really liked it, just got to some dark caves with pink crystals and conveyor belts. Couldn't figure out where to go. Turned it off for the day, but that was like 6 weeks ago.

Mass Effect 2- started playing it in April, maybe about 15 hours in. The Switch and Zelda side tracked me. Probably won't go back. I liked the first game, but nothing about this one is grabbing me. The combat is fun I guess. Everyone said the loyalty missions were so good but the ones I've done seem pretty typical and forgettable. I'm thinking this game was a time and place thing.

Thorrgal

I usually only buy games that I think I'm interested in, but sometimes after I've purchased a game I don't have any urge to actually play it. Does that happen to anyone else?

Some examples:

Gravity Rush 2 - loved the first game and think it's one of Vita's best games. Got GR2 on day 1 but haven't felt the urge to play it. Not sure if it's because I played the first one on a handheld and don't associate it as a console game.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - I liked the original trilogy a lot, even ME3. Andromeda was one of my most anticipated game of the year, but my enthusiasm for it waned a bit after reading some reviews and online comments post-release. The game is sitting on my shelf and still shrink-wrapped.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - this is kind of cheating because I did finally start this game this week, but it had been about a month since its release and for some reason I just hadn't been in the mood for an Uncharted game until this week.

So what are some of your examples?

Oxenfree.

jdstorm

Banned
PUBG- played about 13 hours, then my house got burglarized, twice, and then I moved. I've been all set up for a few weeks but for some reason I never feel like playing it. Solo seems overwhelming, and my friends are never on when I am.

Hollow Knight - really liked it, just got to some dark caves with pink crystals and conveyor belts. Couldn't figure out where to go. Turned it off for the day, but that was like 6 weeks ago.

Mass Effect 2- started playing it in April, maybe about 15 hours in. The Switch and Zelda side tracked me. Probably won't go back. I liked the first game, but nothing about this one is grabbing me. The combat is fun I guess. Everyone said the loyalty missions were so good but the ones I've done seem pretty typical and forgettable. I'm thinking this game was a time and place thing.

With Mass Effect 2 the best missions are at the end.

The first is the "Lair of the shadowbroker" DLC mission and then the final mission/boss is really good. If you arent feeling the loyalty missions don't stress them too much. Only do the characters you like
and want to see live through to Mass Effect 3

Ironically REmake, because I am in the minority that prefer Resident Evil 1-3. But at the same time these days my anxiety gets the better of we with the limited saves and I can't play more than an hour or so before I tell myself "you fucked up there, you should probably start over". Also, despite the PS4 suspend feature, I feel like it's a big commitment to start it. One day I will just say to hell with it, block out a day and play through it and try not to worry about min maxing inventory

Top Bottom