• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: How Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare reminds us of Mass Effect

Eurogamer pretty much states that it's the same old gameplay from all the other Call of Duty games, just in a new coat of paint, and the space combat side missions get boring because there's no depth to them.

T-0800

Eurogamer pretty much states that it's the same old gameplay from all the other Call of Duty games, just in a new coat of paint, and the space combat side missions get boring because there's no depth to them.

But they could say that every year. MW2 campaign imo is pretty terrible and BO3 wasn't much better if at all. I feel like IW are going to be treated harshly simply because they aren't the original IW.

Bishop89

So you just want the same cookie cutter Call of Duty single player experience for the rest of eternity? I for one look forward to the campaign and this is exactly what i want out of Call of Duty's campaign i want something that doesn't feel like the last 7 call of duty's.
Yes I do, but there hasn't been a decent one since Mw2, so it's not like I've been getting exactly what I've wanted since IW disbanded

jond76

Banned
I was going to skip this til later because the MP didn't click with me... but damn, I'm buying for the campaign. They got me.

Kalentan

But they could say that every year. MW2 campaign imo is pretty terrible and BO3 wasn't much better if at all. I feel like IW are going to be treated harshly simply because they aren't the original IW.

Honestly I got a feeling the campaign is going to be more divisive this year. It seems like you either have people like Kotaku and GameSpot that really like it or you have places like IGN and Eurogamer that dislike it.

black070

IGN review in progress leads me to believe they really don't like the campaign.

The reviewer uses Black Ops 3 as an example of strong single player campaign that justifies its length (note - it doesn't), so I'm willing to take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Kalentan

The reviewer uses Black Ops 3 as an example of strong single player campaign that justifies its length (note - it doesn't), so I'm willing to take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Yeah that comparison was just odd and sort of make their opinion hold less weight. More so since BO3 felt bloated and the story didn't understand where it was going.

Like I think the best way to put it is that GameSpot invokes Mass Effect as a positive and IGN invokes it as a negative. So I guess it depends on how much you liked the ship-aspect of ME.

Tosyn_88

Yeah that comparison was just odd and sort of make their opinion hold less weight. More so since BO3 felt bloated and the story didn't understand where it was going.

Like I think the best way to put it is that GameSpot invokes Mass Effect as a positive and IGN invokes it as a negative. So I guess it depends on how much you liked the ship-aspect of ME.

Count me as the positive camp. The game looks awesome and those guys really worked hard on it, it really shows. The multiplayer though is down to preference and some cod hating

Lime

Regardless of the campaign, the design of the Reyes protagonist is extremely boring and underwhelming. It looks so much like Nathan Drake even down to the exact same haircut.

Kalentan

Regardless of the campaign, the design of the Reyes protagonist is extremely boring and underwhelming. It looks so much like Nathan Drake even down to the exact same haircut.

I mean... Reyes looks like his actor Brian Bloom.
220px-Brian_Bloom.jpg
latest

All the characters look like their actors.

sjay1994

IGN also not impressed: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/11/03/call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-review-in-progress

This is a large part of Infinite Warfare's problem: for every great idea there's a Call of Duty trapping holding it back. And that's the mistake Infinity Ward has made – one of the same mistakes it made with Call of Duty: Ghosts three years ago, which was the series’ lowest point since The Big Red One. Infinite Warfare shows improvement over that game, but not much. If first-person shooter single-player campaigns are how you like to spend your time, you're spoiled for choice this year, so there's little reason to spend it on this one.

Renekton

Why Mass Effect?

Does it have major RPG elements, Mako traversal, questing, colorful NPCs, alien species, conversation decision trees, squad selection and customization, etc?

Kalentan

Shouldn't there be an OT for this by now??

Another user said Eggbok was waiting to get out of work to post it. Eggbok themselves according to their profile hasn't been on for nearly 2 hours.

Why Mass Effect?

Does it have major RPG elements, Mako traversal, questing, colorful NPCs, alien species, conversation decision trees, squad selection and customization, etc?

Why not watch the video? It's only 8 min long.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Gonna be honest. What is here is pretty insane. I think people are going to be truly shocked
Thank the lord, a good Call of Duty campaign since Modern Warfare 1/2 and Black Ops.

It's a god damned miracle.

Lime

I mean... Reyes looks like his actor Brian Bloom.

All the characters look like their actors.

And their selection looks a lot like Nathan Drake and the tens of other brown haired white dudes we get. Which is par for the course and fine, it's just boring to me.

AHA-Lambda

I wonder what will happen to IW if this gets a similar reception to Ghosts =/

Mixed early impressions of the campaign, and the MP beta seemed to not go down too well

So pretty loose connections at best. I see the connections Mike (lol) makes but it barely talks about Mass Effect and is pretty much all about "this is what's in Infinite Warfare."

Sounds like some cool stuff. That being said, clickbait-y title.

Top Bottom