• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Preorders for PS3/Wii can only be made in used game tradeins. IN HAWAII

omg rite said:
read the actual first post plz.

back when I worked at gamestop, "store credit" and "trade in credit" were actually considered two separate things, so that's probably why it's confusing me. I haven't really traded in anything since the EB/Gamestop merger, so I'm not sure how it works now.

I'll leave this thread now, haha.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
**** that shit. Gamestop can go to hell (ebgames too if they're doing the same thing, which I wouldn't doubt)

I'm assuming we'll get to preorder the sane way sometime later since this is only happening for a week. If there's any preorder spots left that is

Dante

the reservation deposit will only gurantee a spot in line when the PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii becomes available. The reservation deposit does not guarantee reciept of a system available to purchase by Christmas."

This can't be real...........It just can't.........Can it?

they got to be joking right

i was planing to get 3 ps3,

one for myself, one fo rmy boy in the uk, and one for ebay.

i don' t150 dollars worth of shit to trade.

Grayman

oddigy said:
Wait a second, hold the phone.

Does this mean they're not going to be accepting any kind of preorders online?
If not, well... hell. I guess I'll be picking up a Wii somewhere else, whenever I'm able to.
They've sunk to a new low... paying pennies on the dollar in NONTANGIBLE ASSETS for trade-ins.

I pity the fools who fall for this.
your financial vernacular is impeccable.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you'd have a point if trading in shitty games i'm too lazy to ebay and failing to secure a ps3 i wouldn't be able to find otherwise constituted much of a "burn." if it scores me a ps3 this year, great...if not i lose pd zero and mario kart ds and whatever other abominations i can dig out of my closet. oh noes.

Duderz

Banned
I'm trying to decide where else to buy a Wii now...Target, Toys R Us, Best Buy, or Fry's.

I can't believe Gamestop is actually pulling this.

ghostmind

Christopher said:
If anyone complys with this...just wow.

Can you people really just not wait until they are readily avaliable, do you HAVE to play it first comes out.

whatever, I guess my lost of interest in video games lately just gives me a "meh" attitude towards this, as in I'll get it when it comes around in stock...none of this bullshit.

I've gotten over being first... I am buying PS3 & Wii, but only from Costco, when each is available for me to walk in and pick it up... no lines, no preorders, no stress...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
seriously, I dont even think they would offer me 50 bucks for my ps2 (not that I would even sell it as it has my hdloader shit on it).

seriously wtf are they thinking, this is blowing my mind right now. ive been waiting for preorders for so long and now this shit? come on man, please tell me this is some kind of sick joke.

JB1981

drohne said:
you'd have a point if trading in shitty games i'm too lazy to ebay and failing to secure a ps3 i wouldn't be able to find otherwise constituted much of a "burn." if it scores me a ps3 this year, great...if not i lose pd zero and mario kart ds and whatever other abominations i can dig out of my closet. oh noes.

Yeah, but it only scores you a "position in line." That's such horseshit.

This really sucks. I mean, I have nothing I want to part with. I traded in some games the other day to pay off MMZX and Okami and I've nothing I want to trade in at the moment. I'd gladly put the money I've been saving on either of them. Jebus.

I'm so glad I gave up being an early adopter. So long as enough people line up for products the second that they are released and are willing to pay however much they are asked for and will jump through any hoops companies set up for them, these companies know that they can and wil get away with anything. Corporations must be giddy because they keep trying to gouge a little more and the consumer keeps saying it's okay.

Xenon

Wow... This is just perfectly evil on so many levels. :lol Sometimes you just have to admire such things

:lol I predict a huge drop in trade in value on monday

What a stupid policy. I was going to just wait in line at Wal-Mart until midnight for my Wii anyway like I did for GC. It was actually really fun. I had 3 other friends do the same, and the employees let us get some camping chairs from sporting goods and we just played linked games of Mario Kart and F-Zero: MV most of the time. Screw pre-ordering.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Sugarman said:
This really sucks. I mean, I have nothing I want to part with. I traded in some games the other day to pay off MMZX and Okami and I've nothing I want to trade in at the moment. I'd gladly put the money I've been saving on either of them. Jebus.
exactly, hell ill HAPPILY hand them 600 dollars on monday morning, but no, i have to trade in 50 dollars word of games. kind of shit is that?

Duderz

Banned
CabbageRed said:
I'm so glad I gave up being an early adopter. So long as enough people line up for products the second that they are released and are willing to pay however much they are asked for and will jump through any hoops companies set up for them, these companies know that they can and wil get away with anything. Corporations must be giddy because they keep trying to gouge a little more and the consumer keeps saying it's okay.

Well, judging by the reactions in this thread, people have had enough with this kind of crap.

Christopher

ghostmind said:
I've gotten over being first... I am buying PS3 & Wii, but only from Costco, when each is available for me to walk in and pick it up... no lines, no preorders, no stress...

There we go. If anything, I'm going to wait till the console of my choice starts with the bundels...I'm in no need to rush this gen...at all.

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
not sure how real that flyer is. If it starts monday then we would have had the flyers in the stores already. Plus it only has the Gamestop logo on the flyer, every single flyer, memo, bag has Gamestop and EB games' logo on it.

artist

Banned
'spot in line' means they will call you when the console is available that you want to buy it or not?

I am still confused on how that works.

Pellham

Banned
drohne said:

You do realize those two games you mentioned are probably going to net you like $10 total or something right. Good luck finding enough games to fill up $50 worth of credit.

Slayven

Screw that noise, I am going wait until march when I can walk into Rhinos and buy one over the counter. I will never fall for launch fever again.

Just go to Target/Walmart that day. It's Nintendo - they take care of the big box stores.

**** these rapist bastards at Gamestop/EB.

:lol :lol :lol

that sucks for people like me, who buy games and (mostly) keep them forever, and rent the games i'm sure i won't keep...

i already traded in all the last-gen tradeable games last year to help pay for 360 launch titles...

getting a wii won't be a problem, but i guess i will skip getting a ps3 at launch now!

not waiting in lines for the madness...

Pellham said:
You do realize those two games you mentioned are probably going to net you like $10 total or something right. Good luck finding enough games to fill up $50 worth of credit.

It'd net him more than 20.

M3wThr33 said:
To be honest, that's how it always has been. A shipment of 30 consoles = the first 30 get it.

No, my friend paid for his 360 in advance and had no line to wait in. On launch night he simply strolled up to the register after the hoopla died down a bit and got his without incident. **Edit** needed to explain that he wasn't first in line, but the first to fully pay off his system so he got his no problem. **end edit**

Wish mine would have went that way. I pre-ordered in August and was told I'd be day 1 shipment. Two days before launch I'm told I won't get one so I ended up getting my money back and camping at Wal Mart. I was 2nd in line there and they only got 2 white box packs. :p That's the kind of bullshit hassle I don't want to go through again so I'm buying the Wii and PS3 when they're both readily available.

As of 9/15/06 PS2's got you $50 instore credit. :/

We're gonna have some real irrate customers if this is true. I know a lot of our best customers that will set our store on fire.

JB1981

EB Guy said:
not sure how real that flyer is. If it starts monday then we would have had the flyers in the stores already. Plus it only has the Gamestop logo on the flyer, every single flyer, memo, bag has Gamestop and EB games' logo on it.

And the plot thickens.

Duderz said:
Well, judging by the reactions in this thread, people have had enough with this kind of crap.

And I would love for that to be true, but do think that they will not sell out their first few shipments through pre-orders? Even in a typical GAF "I hate company A and they've lost me as a consumer thread" where where the same people freaking out will start defending the policy/product once they realize that they still want the product, we still have a few people not bothered by this and plenty more people not going the distance and saying "no."

ijm72

Man **** that!!! I was actually planning on preordering the PS3 but I'll just wait until I can walk into the store and just buy it. Im not standing in line again especially with all the ebayers and I know the PS3 wait is going to be ten times worst than the 360.

ManaByte

Gold Member
bbbb03img0171dn3.jpg

"PezRadar, you got some 'splaining to do!"

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
hmm...what if i were to buy a game, and give it right back to them (not opening the package or anything). would they give me 50 dollars store credit? would that count for the preorder?

there has to be a loophole around this...FIND IT! :/

Top Bottom