• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Preorders for PS3/Wii can only be made in used game tradeins. IN HAWAII

Oneself

Sorry guys, but it's like, 95%+ sure to be true. I heard the same thing earlier this week.

Well, there goes my Ridge Racer 6, Full Auto, Tomb Raider 360 and one of my two PS2. It's worth the trade if I can get a PS3 at launch.

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
Oneself said:
Sorry guys, but it's like, 95%+ sure to be true. I heard the same thing earlier this week.

Well, there goes my Ridge Racer 6, Full Auto, Tomb Raider 360 and one of my two PS2. It's worth the trade if I can get a PS3 at launch.
so how does the company plan on getting all these materials to the stores for monday?

Pellham said:
good luck finding $5 used xbox/ps2/psp/ds/gc games

Now that's getting kinda risky. You're essentially tacking $75-$125 more on to the price of the console you're buying if you do that.
more like $70

not that a ps3 will sell for anything less than $1000 on ebay...

and that's being generous...

anyway, from that trade-in value link... saint's row + nsmb = $50 trade-in value so that's a $45 loss... there's probably a better deal somewhere too

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
EB Guy said:
so how does the company plan on getting all these materials to the stores for monday?
saturday sunday?

heres the initial quote the guy posted...
Today I went out set on selling a bunch of games at GameStop for that $10 bonus. Am I glad I didn't do any of that.

While I am not absolutely sure that the following details are nationwide, I assume it is because I've seen it in multiple stores, and there is a lot of advertising and documentation going on for it. I hold in my hand a flyer that contains the information regarding GameStop and EB's Wii (and PS3) pre-order process. I have to say that I am not pleased by this process, but am still glad I finally know when and how to pre-order my Wii at GameStop.

Here is a picture of the flyer, and I'll write out the details below it, along with some answers to some questions that I asked about this crap.

gamestop_wiips3_preorder.jpg

Yes, its blurry. My camera sucks. Forgive me. XD

Anyway, here are the details:

GameStop will start accepting pre-orders for the PS3/Wii on MONDAY SEPTEMBER 18. This will last for ONE WEEK only. Any store can and will stop taking pre-orders at any time (most likely when their limit is reached). I have been advised (and I advise you) to go to the store on Monday and get your pre-order in.

GameStop is NOT ACCEPTING cash, or store credit for your down payment on a pre-order. You HAVE to trade in games or accessories when you pre-order. It must total $50 or more, and it will all go towards your system pre-order. Any money you put down after $50 can be credit, cash, or whatever else GameStop/EB accepts. This applies for both the Wii and the PS3.

Any promotions on game trade-ins active during your pre-order transaction can be used toward this pre-order stuff. That means that you can take advantage of the "trade 3 games and get $10 extra" offer currently being held at GameStop/EB.

You are GUARANTEED to get a Wii, but the date you get it IS NOT GUARANTEED (he specifically told me that you are not guaranteed to get your system on launch or anytime during the Christmas season).

Stores are going to give out launch systems based on chronological pre-order order. That means if you are the first one to pre-order/reserve your Wii, you will be the first one to get a Wii on launch day.

Reservations are limited to 1 per household.

If you want to know what exactly the text says at the bottom of the flyer, here it is: "Cash or Store Credit will not be accepted. Reservations of the PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii are limited to one (1) reservation/purchase per household."

And the text near the GameStop logo at the bottom: "All trades must be in working condition and are subject to manager approval. As GameStop cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, the reservation deposit will only gurantee a spot in line when the PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii becomes available. The reservation deposit does not guarantee reciept of a system available to purchase by Christmas."

Here are a few questions I asked when the employee was giving me the info:

Q: Why is the pre-order process being done this way?
A: GameStop/EB is trying to be more cautious and is trying to plan out the pre-order process better. This is an attempt at a different way of handling pre-orders. They say that they take in a large amount of pre-order money and when products launch, many people don't actually pick up their pre-order. That means GameStop/EB has to continually keep track of these unclaimed pre-orders, and that incurs costs. Its a way to keep down costs, and at the same time, its a way for you to actually keep your money in case you do not pick up your system (because your pre-order money is converted basically into store credit).

Q: Will you have lots of Wii accessories (controllers, etc.) on hand for launch.
A: Yes.

Q: Will you open at midnight?
A: It depends. Some stores may, and others might not. My particular store is trying to open at midnight, but its slightly more difficult since its located in a closed mall.

----

As a note, I didn't specifically ask for any information about the PS3, I could care less about that. But because they seem to be jointly advertising this, I am going to assume that the details are similar. Really the best way to find out is to call your local GameStop/EB. Though, to be honest, I've called them numerous times over the past few days for information, and they've repeatedly said that they have no idea what's going on. Then I go into a store today and behold, there are fliers and information and stuff everywhere. XD

I hope this helps lots of you. I'll be up bright and early on Monday pre-ordering a Wii.

On a side note: I hope that this does not become a trend (this being the trade-in to pre-order system). It was a complete surprise to me, and definitely made me mad. I even told the employee that a lot of people probably won't be happy, and that I was one of them.

This also kind of hinders Nintendo's mission to expand gaming to people who do not play games. I know we aren't going to see many Grandmas and Grandpas in launch lines, but because of this pre-order system, we won't see any of them. Chances are they don't have games to trade in, probably not enough to reach the $50 prerequisite. GameStop is basically saying, "n00bs go away". No Wii, at least not at a launch and not at GameStop/EB.

On the other hand, this will probably cut down the number of people pre-ordering.

Oh, I also have a list of Wii games that the employee printed out for me. They have names, as well as anticipated shipping dates on them, and pricing information. If people want that, I can post that too.

it almost sounds too specific to not be legit, i swear this is terrible if true. :(

aparisi2274

Bad_Boy said:
saturday sunday?

I dont think so... Seriously... Most items would have had to ship overnight for tomorrow. 95% of the time we never get any signage on a saturday... And hell last I checked there is no mail or deliveries on Sunday...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
aparisi2274 said:
I dont think so... Seriously... Most items would have had to ship overnight for tomorrow. 95% of the time we never get any signage on a saturday... And hell last I checked there is no mail or deliveries on Sunday...
true, i was just throwing a guess out there. it is 2:30am you gotta excuse my thinking right now lol. whats the chances this stuff arriving first thing monday morning?

Oneself

EB Guy said:

I don't know, maybe it was shipped this friday..

What I heard though, is about Canadian EB stores and it's pretty much the exact same thing.
I was told "trade 10 games" instead of "50$ trade in" and a date in October instead of September.

Crisis

Banned
Q: Why is the pre-order process being done this way?
A: GameStop/EB is trying to be more cautious and is trying to plan out the pre-order process better. This is an attempt at a different way of handling pre-orders. They say that they take in a large amount of pre-order money and when products launch, many people don't actually pick up their pre-order. That means GameStop/EB has to continually keep track of these unclaimed pre-orders, and that incurs costs. Its a way to keep down costs, and at the same time, its a way for you to actually keep your money in case you do not pick up your system (because your pre-order money is converted basically into store credit).

What a load of shit. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying it's a load of shit if it is true. They're trying to be "more cautious"? For what? Every time you go into that store and reserve a game, you don't really get anything for it. You give them a stupid interest-free loan. They got a lot of nerve talking about "incurring expense". This is just ignorant as hell.

JB1981

Crisis said:
What a load of shit. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying it's a load of shit if it is true. They're trying to be "more cautious"? For what? Every time you go into that store and reserve a game, you don't really get anything for it. You give them a stupid interest-free loan. They got a lot of nerve talking about "incurring expense". This is just ignorant as hell.

Yeah, why would it be hard for them to keep track of the $600 I'd be willing to give them sight unseen first thing tomorrow morning?

suaveric

Costco doesn't do preorders. You'll camp there just like any other store.

What confuses me is the way the guys explains what your trade-ins gets you. I just seems to get you a place in "line" with no guarantee of when you'll actually get the system. How is that any different than a normal preorder? Why is that an incentive for me to do this?

JB1981

suaveric said:
Costco doesn't do preorders. You'll camp there just like any other store.

What confuses me is the way the guys explains what your trade-ins gets you. I just seems to get you a place in "line" with no guarantee of when you'll actually get the system. How is that any different than a normal preorder? Why is that an incentive for me to do this?

Doesn't Costco open earlier for certain members?

Zep

Banned
JB1981 said:
Do we have any word on when Costco will start pre-orders?

Costco doesnt do pre-orders, they do first come-first serve. It would be wise to have a buisness membership though, as the store is open earlier to you.

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
Oneself said:
I don't know, maybe it was shipped this friday..

What I heard though, is about Canadian EB stores and it's pretty much the exact same thing.
I was told "trade 10 games" instead of "50$ trade in" and a date in October instead of September.
There would have been a conference call about this. You just don't start a major pre-order offer like this and they only thing telling us about it is some flyer that we would get the day it's supposed to start? And not even by the start of business monday UPS or Fedex do not guarantee delivery by that time of the day.
This is hurting my brain. I'm going to sleep.

suaveric

DaddyZ said:
Costco doesnt do pre-orders, they do first come-first serve. It would be wise to have a buisness membership though, as the store is open earlier to you.

Most Costco stores do this. Although I know of at least one where everyone gets in at the same time, regardless of what type of member they are. Best to check with your local store first.

brocke

Banned
irfan said:
'spot in line' means they will call you when the console is available that you want to buy it or not?

I am still confused on how that works.

It means you won't get called when the employees buy all the consoles before anyone even see's them. And yes, I'm serious, I already heard rumors of some ppl working at ebgames that are going to buy the whole shipment when it gets in leaving none for preorders.

Zep

Banned
suaveric said:
Most stores do this. Although I know of at least one where everyone gets in at the same time, regardless of what type of member they are. Best to check with your local store first.

Yea, I shall do that come November. And thank god they accept debit cards now lol, dont like walking around with $700+ in my wallet.

Chris_C

I wonder how easy it'll be to pick up a PS3 from the Walmart in Hernando, Mississippi come launch day. That's pretty much my plan... or go home with Gears for my 360.

Pellham

Banned
Oh, I also have a list of Wii games that the employee printed out for me. They have names, as well as anticipated shipping dates on them, and pricing information. If people want that, I can post that too.

Post this shit now!

cvxfreak

Duderz said:
Does Costco do midnight openings? (I REALLY doubt it, but never hurts to ask.)

Do they force bundles?

No, but executive members get into the store an hour early and you get 2.5% back on your purchase to boot. Of course, I heard that some Costcos actually made some exceptions at the 360 launch. And yes, bundles are forced. They won't even have the system's single SKU in their system.

suaveric

Duderz said:
Does Costco do midnight openings? (I REALLY doubt it, but never hurts to ask.)

Do they force bundles?

No and yes. I suspect the bundle will be another controller, a game (most likely something rated E) and possibly something else (360's includes a play and charge kit). but it is sold at a slight discount, the whole package will probably be 15-25 bucks cheaper than buying all that separately. there will be no way around the bundle, it will literally be packaged together.

JB1981

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I'd trade in my ****ing left nut to get one at launch without the hassle. Too bad this is only for a SPOT IN LINE.

PASS and **** you.

If it secures you a good spot on the 'list', like, say, #2 or 3 or
Code:
1!
, then it's not that bad.

suaveric

JB1981 said:
If it secures you a good spot on the 'list', like, say, #2 or 3 or
Code:
1!
, then it's not that bad.

Yeah, this is only worth it if you're one of the first 5 people to get in on the deal. You do lose about 50% of the value of your used games vs. eBay. But that might be worth it to know on launch day you can stroll in to the store whenever you please and pick up your PS3.

I heard that each EB/Gamestop will receive approximately 5 systems on a first come, first serve basis. Who knows? I actually believe the low quantities for the obvious reasons though.

Joeroll

Why people shop at these 2 stores is beyond me. How much is $50 worth of trade ins to them? I'd say at least $150. They are getting more money for these (reserved)consoles than they should be getting. Don't be blinded by hype! Wait till the consoles can be easily purchased!

Ristamar

I never thought I'd see the day where cash isn't good enough. If this isn't a blatant indicator that EB/GS flat out rape consumers with trade values, I don't know what is...

Thaedolus

This is absolutely ridiculous. Between Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and what-not, I'm guessing I'll still be able to find a Wii on launch, but **** EB if they think they can pull this shit for a spot in line. WTF is the point?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Thaedolus said:
This is absolutely ridiculous. Between Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and what-not, I'm guessing I'll still be able to find a Wii on launch, but **** EB if they think they can pull this shit for a spot in line. WTF is the point?

Okay, this is stupid and ****ed up if true, but you people need to start being logical, as you keep repeating the same shit over and over.

Stop with the "OMG A SPOT IN LINE!? WTF!!" crap. That is basically what EVERY system launch reserve is: a spot in line.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
omg rite said:
Okay, this is stupid and ****ed up if true, but you people need to start being logical, as you keep repeating the same shit over and over.

Stop with the "OMG A SPOT IN LINE!? WTF!!" crap. That is basically what EVERY system launch reserve is: a spot in line.

I have a feeling these people actually think there's a physical line to wait in.

You'd have to be either stupid or desperate to do this.

And Gamestop is smart for doing it this way--now they make tons of money on pre-orders by taking people's games for a song and reselling them for huge profits. Not like they'll have trouble finding enough suckers to do it.

I really can't fathom why people would do this to get a console at launch, except to resell them to even dumber people on ebay. The software lineups are not that great and launch consoles invariably have high defect rates.

What? There will be a Wii shortage. That is simply not in question. It's not going to be as bad as the PS3 shortage or the 360 shortage, but it'll happen.

Dude. FUCK this idea. I guess this will be the first time I ever buy a game system from a non-gaming store, not to mention the first time I'll be camping out, period, for a game system. Time to camp out at Best Buy or Target on the 19th to make SURE I get a Wii. SO FUN TO DO ON MY ****ING BIRTHDAY, THANKS GUYS.

Guess I'll just trade in my cube right now. If it means I can puts its credit towards the Wii and be one of the few people pre-ordering. Good thing Ninty went with backwards compatibility.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Question, do I need 50 for each console, or just 50 period. I'll knock out both in full monday if I can get away with just 50 period. I don't buy shit to trade it in and I'll be quite pissed by giving up both my GC and PS2 for this shit.

isn't a GameCube only worth like $10 trade-in value?

...and do you have to have the original box/packaging?

If trading in my Cube, REmake, and RE4 only give me like $15, it's not worth it. -_-

Top Bottom