• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Preorders for PS3/Wii can only be made in used game tradeins. IN HAWAII

Someone explain this to me

"You are GUARANTEED to get a Wii, but the date you get it IS NOT GUARANTEED (he specifically told me that you are not guaranteed to get your system on launch or anytime during the Christmas season)."

So youre NOT guaranteed a PS3? Ever?

Its like a PS3 lottery?

50$ gives you a white ball?

ManaByte

Gold Member
jamesinclair said:
Someone explain this to me

"You are GUARANTEED to get a Wii, but the date you get it IS NOT GUARANTEED (he specifically told me that you are not guaranteed to get your system on launch or anytime during the Christmas season)."

So youre NOT guaranteed a PS3? Ever?

Its like a PS3 lottery?

50$ gives you a white ball?

Basically yes.

I was going to pre-order my Wii at GS. Not anymore. I'll just camp out at Best Buy. **** them.

gimmmick

Yeah I doubt my gamestop will be saying "No, can't accept your pre order" when I put down half the cost of the little F***** come this monday. It's just stupidity at it's finest if they don't.

SuperPac

This is a very sneaky move, but it will keep Ebay opportunists away for the most part and net them a lot of pre-owned stuff they can sell for the holidays. As long as they're not then also forcing people to buy a bundle, if you're serious about getting a PS3 on launch this wouldn't be a bad way to do it. Well, as long as they're able to follow through and get those who take advantage of this offer a system on Day 1.

Sneaky and ****ty of them, but if it'll keep things from being as much of a fiasco as they were with 360 last year...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gimmmick said:
Yeah I doubt my gamestop will be saying "No, can't accept your pre order" when I put down half the cost of the little F***** come this monday. It's just stupidity at it's finest if they don't.
thats what im thinking. they cant be that retarded to not accept cash in hand.

i think ill go in there monday morning to have a talk with the clerk. theres gotta be a loophole around this if this is even true.

thats really horrible. But I was waiting past launch anyways for the hardware kinks to get worked out before I got one anyways, I am not really too upset personally.

I feel for you early adopters. Kick in the pants :<

aparisi2274

EB Guy said:
I call bullshit on that flyer, major bullshit

I agree... We both work for EB... Now lets all think about this...

1. It supposed to start on Monday, has anyone recieved any signage for their store, letting customers know this? NO!!!

2. All, and I mean all marketing material has both the Gamestop store logo and the EB games store logo... This one just has GS... Again I say BULLSHIT!!!

3. You can not force people to come in and trade in games to get a system. If I am a parent, and I want to preorder for my kid, and because I didnt come in with $50 trade in crap, I cant... Again I call BULLSHIT!!!!

Well I dont know what else to say to prove this is BS...

ManaByte

Gold Member
SuperPac said:
Sneaky and shitty, but if it'll keep things from being as much of a fiasco as they were with 360 last year...

No, this is WORSE. You're trading in games to STAND IN A ****ING LINE. You're not trading in games for a system, just a spot in line!

The only loophole I can think of is that right now we have a deal where you can get $10 extra added to your trade-in for Xbox, ps2, psp, DS, and GC. The deal does say that this can go towards it.

...so feasibly, you could buy about 12 games for $5 apiece, trade them all in, get 10 for each of the 3 games (making 40) and then the amount for the regular tradeins should cover the last 10 bucks.

I expect many people to start doing that.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't think they mean a physical line -- i think they mean a spot on a list of reservations. the whole point of preordering is not standing in lines.

ijm72 said:
Man **** that!!! I was actually planning on preordering the PS3 but I'll just wait until I can walk into the store and just buy it. Im not standing in line again especially with all the ebayers and I know the PS3 wait is going to be ten times worst than the 360.

ijm72 said:
How much do they give for the Xbox?.

Three minutes. :p

Pellham

Banned
QuickKick89 said:
The only loophole I can think of is that right now we have a deal where you can get $10 extra added to your trade-in for Xbox, ps2, psp, DS, and GC. The deal does say that this can go towards it.

...so feasibly, you could buy about 12 games for $5 apiece, trade them all in, get 10 for each of the 3 games (making 40) and then the amount for the regular tradeins should cover the last 10 bucks.

good luck finding $5 used xbox/ps2/psp/ds/gc games

this won't stop profiteers, they'll just buy a ps2/dsl and trade it in...

Now that's getting kinda risky. You're essentially tacking $75-$125 more on to the price of the console you're buying if you do that.

ijm72

CabbageRed said:
Three minutes. :p
:D
Hey I have a spare Xbox lying around that I havent touched in half a year so after thinking about it I was just thinking about it after I came to my senses.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
QuickKick89 said:

hmm interesting.

say i bought a 5 dollar used game, how much do they accept in credit if I trade it back?
not to mention do they even have 5 dollar games?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
EB Guy said:
No he doesn't, this shit is fake. This Abe Lincoln over here says so.
i ****ing hope so. this is bullshit imo.

when is the last you ebgames guys heard about accepting pre orders?

aparisi2274 said:
I agree... We both work for EB... Now lets all think about this...

1. It supposed to start on Monday, has anyone recieved any signage for their store, letting customers know this? NO!!!

2. All, and I mean all marketing material has both the Gamestop store logo and the EB games store logo... This one just has GS... Again I say BULLSHIT!!!

3. You can not force people to come in and trade in games to get a system. If I am a parent, and I want to preorder for my kid, and because I didnt come in with $50 trade in crap, I cant... Again I call BULLSHIT!!!!

Well I dont know what else to say to prove this is BS...

Plus, we're supposed to be waiting until we know how many we're allocated. BS on this.

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
Bad_Boy said:

We were told after the manager's conference which is in 2 weeks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bad_Boy said:

today, with my coworker saying he heard we were starting on the 18th. ;\

Some reports claim this as legit, some don't.

I talked to my DM today and she had no clue when preorders would start, since we don't have an allocation yet. I dunno...maybe its a by-region thing.

M3wThr33

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
hmm interesting.

say i bought a 5 dollar used game, how much do they accept in credit if I trade it back?
not to mention do they even have 5 dollar games?

Well. I figure you can discuss the loophole at the store ahead of time. Especially if they think it's bullshit, too. I'll go down sometime and discuss it with them.
If not, I have some useless sports game I've never touched that'll help.

Duderz

Banned
QuickKick89 said:
Some reports claim this as legit, some don't.

I talked to my DM today and she had no clue when preorders would start, since we don't have an allocation yet. I dunno...maybe its a by-region thing.

Where did you get this picture from?

M3wThr33 said:
Well. I figure you can discuss the loophole at the store ahead of time. Especially if they think it's bullshit, too. I'll go down sometime and discuss it with them.
If not, I have some useless sports game I've never touched that'll help.

06 sports titles and down don't work with the 10 dollar extra deal.

aparisi2274

Amir0x said:
wait so is this true or not, i thought you were in a position to tell us Quick :p

EDIT: this is a general post to the entire thread, not just to you Amirox....

ITS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!

for the last time... I work at EB, and if this shit was real we would have gotten some sort of signage from the home office alerting us to the fact that there would be this preorder thing starting on Monday!!!

I mean shit, I get signage for games that are still months away from release, and now you are telling me that all of a sudden there is going to be this magical sale on Monday where people can come in and preorder a wii or PS3 but with trade in's only?!?!?!?!?

People come on, lets take a break... lets all get up from the PC's for a second , go take a walk around your room, clear your head and come back to the forum, and ask why a huge system like wii or PS3 is going to have a uber secret preorder campaign?

sangreal

aparisi2274 said:
ITS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!

for the last time... I work at EB, and if this shit was real we would have gotten some sort of signage from the home office alerting us to the fact that there would be this preorder thing starting on Monday!!!

I mean shit, I get signage for games that are still months away from release, and now you are telling me that all of a sudden there is going to be this magical sale on Monday where people can come in and preorder a wii or PS3 but with trade in's only?!?!?!?!?

People come on, lets take a break... lets all get up from the PC's for a second , go take a walk around your room, clear your head and come back to the forum, and ask why a huge system like wii or PS3 is going to have a uber secret preorder campaign?

quoted for future mocking

qirex

I've heard this idea elsewhere earlier this week from someone who claimed to be an EB manager but he said he had no clue when it was and thought mid-October.

So even if this is true I don't see how it could be Monday.

Top Bottom