• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers' "The Castlevania Retrospective"

Segata Sanshiro said:
I put Circle in the middle of the GBA pack. HoD is just so bland. It was a game made without any good ideas aside from "copy SotN". Aria of Sorrow, I think, is the best game IGA made (I don't give him credit for Symphony because he really doesn't deserve it :p). The soul system was good, the story was interesting, graphics and music were excellent. It really felt like its own thing.

True. Though I felt that Aria exceeded Symphony simply for streamlining things.

Circle is good but it has serious balance issues. Considering it was an up-ported GBC game, it is pretty remarkable, though. It's challenging, which is nice for a Metroidvania. I had to play the damn game directly under a lamp the whole time, but it was definitely worth it. Harmony was so blah I thought I was sick of the whole Metroidvania concept. It was kind of the Ace Attorney 2 of Metroidvanias.

Yeah. Circle hits a difficulty spike once you get to the Dragon Zombie twins. Not to mention the item drop/acquisition scheme.

Harmony of Dissonance was even more bloated than Symphony, with little of Symphony's inspiredness to boot. Many of the bosses were supersized mooks, for goodness sake.

Shig said:
Wait, Aria has a nonsensical castle layout and people are too hard on Harmony? That's... so incredibly backwards. Aria has the most contiguous and natural flow of any Metvania castle by a wide margin, Harmony's is a total chore.

Ha, I know. Harmony, and to a lesser extent Symphony (though not by way of unnatural design) are just so bloated. Aria is just so much more replayable.

Not able to watch the new vid right now since I'm at a public computer.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh man part IV is so good

I need to look for my Circle of the Moon cartridge and put it on my yearly playlist where DoS is

Anony

finished watching the last part

man, GT really does castlevania justice with its retrospective

for the last part, when they explained the timeline, i honestly was confused and hell (even after it was explained), and i played like, almost half of the castlevania games, but you know what, i dont really care
i understand enough of the story to appreciate the big picture

cant wait for the next 2d castlevania game

jett

D-Member
The entire retrospective was really nice but it doesn't top what the nerd did last year for halloween.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
jett said:
The entire retrospective was really nice but it doesn't top what the nerd did last year for halloween.

Yeah, GT is very comprehensive and clinical, but James' videos had a wonderfully sentimental perspective that was definitely better at conveying why the games are so amazing from a fan's perspective, even if he did gloss over a few key games because he never played them.

I think they compliment each other pretty well, but as a fan I enjoyed AVGN's series more.

Axiom

I really enjoyed this Retrospective, until they mentioned the concert then I stopped paying attention and started trying to find it.

Noogy

Fantastic series. And it puts into perspective that I've probably spent more hours of my life playing Castlevania than any other series combined. Well done, GT.

Beezy

Axiom said:
I really enjoyed this Retrospective, until they mentioned the concert then I stopped paying attention and started trying to find it.
Please post it if you do find it.

oracrest

All of their retrospectives seem really top notch, and professional.

It would be great to see them do a massive one on the Dungeons and Dragons franchise/influence with video games. So many titles though....

Top Bottom