• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman responds to Anti-Semitic charges from the Anti-Defamation League

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, he (and/or his publicist) doesn't understand *why* the things he said were offensive. So at best, he's ignorant, and at worst, he really feels that way.

I think he says what he means and means what he says. The reason why the 'apology tour' offends me so much is because it's bullshit. Either you said the right thing and people misunderstand, or you said the wrong thing and people understood. And after you are done humiliating yourself, we'll go 'he's a liar.' because, these apologies are never sincere. Apologies denote guilt. Apologies without guilt are BS you can smell a mile away.

royalan

I'm a bit confused. Is acknowledging the deep Jewish roots in Hollywood antisemitic or not? I followed that initial thread and thought Oldman only got into shit for defending Mel Gibson's slur slinging ass.

I just don't want to be ignorant on the subject is all.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that a lot of people who work in the film industry are Jewish. Just like there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that most professional football/basketball players are black, for example.

But there IS something wrong with peddling the idea that Jews "run" Hollywood in some coordinated and nefarious effort to horde wealth and influence, as well as shun other groups of people.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
5181a7e99c872.gif

ib2407YdBerECe.gif

ICKE

Banned
Oh damned.

Wrong thread. But I wonder what happens now that his apology was seen as insufficient? Maybe contact Glenn Beck and buy a ticket to his "support Israel" - tours?

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that a lot of people who work in the film industry are Jewish. Just like there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that most professional football/basketball players are black, for example.

But there IS something wrong with peddling the idea that Jews "run" Hollywood in some coordinated and nefarious effort to horde wealth and influence, as well as shun other groups of people.

That's understandable. I never believed in that secret cabal bullshit in the first place.

Squalor

I think he says what he means and means what he says. The reason why the 'apology tour' offends me so much is because it's bullshit. Either you said the right thing and people misunderstand, or you said the wrong thing and people understood. And after you are done humiliating yourself, we'll go 'he's a liar.' because, these apologies are never sincere. Apologies denote guilt. Apologies without guilt are BS you can smell a mile away.
You're just making groundless statements.

None of this happened to Jonah Hill. He thoroughly apologized and did so sincerely, not like this bullshit Oldman's camp has come up with.

And Hill and his career are fine.

FStop7

Banned

It's also a very, very dated opinion. Publicly traded corporations and investment groups "run" Hollywood now. With a few exceptions (Harvey Weinstein) the whole concept of the "studio mogul" is archaic.

he messed up. intentional or not, he said the wrong things. now he's on the defensive and it's his own fault. He's obligated to (attempt to) clear the air lest people draw their own conclusions about his character. I agree, it's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' kind of situation, but the moral of the story is: don't get into it in the first place.

How is acknowledging that Hollywood is run by Jews (it is) anti-Semetic? I don't get why he's going on this apologetic spree when he spoke some pretty raw truths (albeit ones presented in a very harsh and inconsiderate tone).

Were I him, I'd apologize for the way I said what I said, not the message I was trying to get across.

DarkKyo

Lol honestly, why the hell does he need to apologize? His statements may have been offensive to some but it's not like he's not going to get hired anymore due to them. It's Gary Oldman we're talking about here :p

It's not like he had a raging, alcohol-fueled meltdown like the one that ended Gibson's career.

How is acknowledging that Hollywood is run by Jews (it is) anti-Semetic? I don't get why he's going on this apologetic spree when he spoke some pretty raw truths (albeit ones presented in a very harsh and inconsiderate tone).

Were I him, I'd apologize for the way I said what I said, not the message I was trying to get across.

its not run by jews?

You're just making groundless statements.

None of this happened to Jonah Hill. He thoroughly apologized and did so sincerely, not like this bullshit Oldman's camp has come up with.

And Hill and his career are fine.

Jonah Hill just spouted off some mean shit randomly. He didn't go on a rant about how gays are destroying America or anything. Hill just said 'fag' in a moment that would make anybody want to punch the dude. That's minor. But, I think his apology kept it in the news cycle for an extra couple of days.

Besides, apologizing for an angry word is easy. Apologizing for in-depth discussions regarding controversial personal opinions is not. I don't think they are comparable situations, but I also think Hill shouldn't have had to apologize like that, either. But, that's how it works.

Squalor

Jonah Hill just spouted off some mean shit randomly. He didn't go on a rant about how gays are destroying America or anything. Hill just said 'fag' in a moment that would make anybody want to punch the dude. That's minor. But, I think his apology kept it in the news cycle for an extra couple of days.

Besides, apologizing for an angry word is easy. Apologizing for in-depth discussions regarding controversial personal opinions is not. I don't think they are comparable situations, but I also think Hill shouldn't have had to apologize like that, either. But, that's how it works.
None of that addressed how groundless your prior statements were.

You were just throwing out some over-generalizations about practically nothing and trying to pass it off as evidence that nobody would have ever forgiven Oldman no matter what his apology was. Right.

They are comparable. I didn't say they were exact, but they're absolutely comparable. Two high-profile people said things that the general public disagreed with. Both people apologized afterward.

One did it sincerely. The other did it like an asshole.

Dammit...I liked Oldman. I really did. Here's hoping he can muster up the gumption to apologize sincerely, because that letter he sent was dripping with insincerity.

its not run by jews?

For the most part, it really is. Whether they actively practice Judaism or not is one thing, but production/studio jobs are filled by more Jewish folk than any other religious community. Those happen to be the positions within the industry that possess the most power when determining what and how something gets made or released.

The problem is Gary (maybe unintentionally) presented this truth as a negative, when really, I think it speaks more to the way the values instilled in these people at a young age made them excellent candidates for these types of leadership positions.

royalan

Quoting myself:

Quoting myself:

I saw your post and it's a good one. My only thing is that you assume someone who says Jews "run" Hollywood is lumping them together under a collective effort, rather than pointing out that most of those in a position to "run" studios or production companies are Jewish. You're looking at the word and assuming it can only mean one specific thing here. That's simply not the case. The context in which Gary used it - plus the lack of clarification - makes it seem to be more one thing than the other.

You can absolutely say Jews "run" Hollywood without implying that they're all in cahoots with one another.

None of that addressed how groundless your prior statements were.

You were just throwing out some over-generalizations about practically nothing and trying to pass it off as evidence that nobody would have ever forgiven Oldman no matter what his apology was. Right.

They are comparable. I didn't say they were exact, but they're absolutely comparable. Two high-profile people said things that the general public disagreed with. Both people apologized afterward.

One did it sincerely. The other did it like an asshole.

They are not comparable. You can look at Hill, who just said 'fag' without any other context discussing the issue of homosexuality and go 'I have no reason to believe he hates gay people.' You can't look at Oldman's statements, which were long, elaborate, and in the context of a discussion about Jews and race and easily dismiss it. If you can't understand that, then we are never going to get anywhere.

does this mean oldman's career in hollywood is over now?

You know what? I think he'll still be making movies.

Not the highly paying, well respected, Oscar worthy type roles, but there's movie roles out there for anyone. If Pauly Shore could have a movie career, I think Gary Oldman's will hold up.

This apology is unreal, and incredibly entertaining. Gary Oldman is committing career suicide and seems to be relishing it.

He's a great talent and will still get good roles. This may damage his public image and likely his relationships with some of the more sensitive studio executives, but this is FAR from "career suicide."

These weird ass apologies aren't helping, though.

I will still love Gibsons and Oldmans work regardless of their clear personal issues. If I based my entertainment preferences on the personal lives of those involved I suspect I wouldn't enjoy any entertainment. Im not defending them In what they said/did.

royalan

I saw your post and it's a good one. My only thing is that you assume someone who says Jews "run" Hollywood is lumping them together under a collective effort, rather than pointing out that most of those in a position to "run" studios or production companies are Jewish. You're looking at the word and assuming it can only mean one specific thing here. That's simply not the case. The context in which Gary used it - plus the lack of clarification - makes it seem to be more one thing than the other.

You can absolutely say Jews "run" Hollywood without implying that they're all in cahoots with one another.

...are you really naive enough to think that when Gary Oldman made mention of Jews "running" Hollywood, he wasn't referencing the stereotype and anti-semitic belief that Jews run Hollywood as a means to obtain power and take over the world? I mean, what could the context possibly have been otherwise?

Squalor

They are not comparable. You can look at Hill, who just said 'fag' without any other context discussing the issue of homosexuality and go 'I have no reason to believe he hates gay people.' You can't look at Oldman's statements, which were long, elaborate, and in the context of a discussion about Jews and race and easily dismiss it. If you can't understand that, then we are never going to get anywhere.
Good job not addressing the points I have raised, again.

You are clearly unable to have a discussion with someone who calls you on the bullshit you post and doesn't let you get away with making invalid and baseless statements.

...are you really naive enough to think that when Gary Oldman made mention of Jews "running" Hollywood, he wasn't referencing the stereotype and anti-semitic belief that Jews run Hollywood as a means to obtain power and take over the world? I mean, what could the context possibly have been otherwise?

That's a stereotype?

That's one I haven't heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom